BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tony Watt / Chris Brown

Following the departure of Rhodes, we are hoping a replacement will be found in the summer transfer window.

However is anybody else disappointed that tony watt is not getting a look in? Sure he won't run around and bully defenders as much as brown, but goals win games and he has scored twice in just a few appearances already. In contrast brown has had plenty of games and never looks like scoring.

It's clear watt is more talented and looks a threat and I think him and graham would complement each other well.

Your thoughts??

• Backroom

Following the departure of Rhodes, we are hoping a replacement will be found in the summer transfer window.

However is anybody else disappointed that tony watt is not getting a look in? Sure he won't run around and bully defenders as much as brown, but goals win games and he has scored twice in just a few appearances already. In contrast brown has had plenty of games and never looks like scoring.

It's clear watt is more talented and looks a threat and I think him and graham would complement each other well.

Your thoughts??

While I agree Watt has the talent, I believe fitness is the issue. Remember he was blowing out his arse after an hour vs Oxford.

Rumours are rifeeling with accusations of a poor attitude but I'm a benefit of doubt type, and I'll guess at fitness.

I'd like to see Watt getting more game time. He certainly showed glimpses of what he could be against Oxford. I'm not buying the bad attitude theory but I'm surprised he's not figured more. A home game to lower placed opponents I would have thought an ideal test for him. Maybe he's not fit?

Edit. Beat me to it Mike

It's a strange one and like I said before maybe we have to pay a bit more or something every time he makes an appearance. PL may balance that up with what he thinks this guy will contribute and has so far decided he's not worth it.

My biggest disappointment after the Rhodes sale is the fact they did not go and get a proper goalscorer on loan from somewhere to safeguard against the threat of going down. Maybe Gomez will be that man but many chances have fallen in the box to the likes of the wallpaper pairing and they've gone begging.

Could well have proved very costly. On Watt it's impossible to judge him so far.

• Backroom

Ultimately he chose brown to start in the last two league games at home, we won both and scored 3 in each, one way or another through subs or the lineup he's got it right each time.

Now brown should be back on the bench and used when we are losing and need to go direct in the last part of a game.

Watt doesn't seem to be the option at the moment in the managers eyes so I expect Gomez playing off Graham with Grimes in there as well.

Really liked what I saw from Watt against Oxford, but haven't been able to see him in person since, so I'll reserve total judgement.

But, just as a counter to the sentiments from some that have moaned about the point of loan-to-buy deals, unless we're absolutely obligated to sign him at the end of the year for £1-2M or whatever the agreed-on fee may be or decide to sign him come hell or high water (DJ Campbell...), suppose that despite the laments of Cardiff/Charlton fans and Lambert's initially positive words about him, Watt actually turns out not to be committed in training enough, not skilled enough, goes out on the lash too much, has a poor overall attitude, etc... well then we don't have to buy him!

Now of course it follows: what forwards should we buy if we're not buying Watt (or signing Graham/Jackson) at the end of the year? Well, that's an important question, but if we don't like Watt then the loan-to-buy deal seems like a relatively low-risk way to take a good look at a player at the end of what's looking to be a nothing season without actually committing our scarce transfer funds.

I'd rather start that mascot dog than brown or a wheelie bin at least the bin does what it's supposed to do

Haters gonna hate.

Anyway, I'm guessing Watt hasn't bought into the high work rate/high tempo demand yet - and if he won't, then rightly he'll be on his way out.

Last time I saw Watt play he was distinctly average. PL has hinted at training being an issue - and seeing a less talented, but consistently hard working player ahead of him is surely a message as to what is expected of him.

Every time I've seen him he's been average at best. Maybe Lambert isn't impressed having seen him first hand, honestly can't see why this guy has a reputation behind him. Hopeful he's going to kick on but I just can't see it. Be delighted to be proved wrong of course!

• Moderation Lead

Yeah, I had hoped for more from him as well tbh. That being said he hasn't had too much of a kick, when I've seen him though he's looked a bit rusty.

Saying all that, Bennett initially didn't look too great, he's been much better of late!

Yeah, I had hoped for more from him as well tbh. That being said he hasn't had too much of a kick, when I've seen him though he's looked a bit rusty.

Saying all that, Bennett initially didn't look too great, he's been much better of late!

Bennette had already played for PL who knew exactly what he was getting. Like you say he is playing well and took a confident strike when he scored last saturday.

Archived