BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Renew Or Not Renew

I know I've come close in the past to not renewing but all the Dunn as manager next season rumours and the loony bin appointing a real manager and now looks like they have no intention of keeping him , what will you do next season?

I have never felt as depressed and low at a game as I did yesterday , I didn't sing or even celebrate our goals , I didn't get upset when they scored either.

I am honestly thinking feck it enough is enough and I am thinking stuff giving the chicken chokers any more of my hard earned money .

Everyone from top to bottom has given up . I am so close to never returning and I've been going since 1970 when I was 3 years old . I can't take it any more the venkys must be held responsible for their football sins .

People talk about the Indian culture as being one of respectful amongst peers and them saving face but how is murdering a football club and disrespting our club , our team , our fans , our history and Jack Walkers legacy how can that in any way shape or form be respected amongst their peers and India .

I am at the moment 95% giving up after the season ends ( Asda with the Mrs is more exiting)

What will you do ? ( please don't retort with through thick n thin because they've broke me)

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know exactly how you are feeling .. It's almost as if I'm going to games now out of duty rather than enjoyment , but I've had a season ticket since I was knee high and my boy as had one since he was knee high ...call me gullible stupid ignorant happy clappy , whatever , but I will renew come what may

• Moderation Lead

I'm very similar to you tbh Abbey, I'd just like a sign that something is happening with the good of the club in mind. The uncertainty is just the worst!

Good Thread started there Abbey

I will renew as I like watching my team but I will admit I have been close to not renewing.

But performances like the ones against MK Dons and Huddersfield wont help it.

The owners need to invest in the team and back the manager with some funds

I will not attend home matches. I feel powerless against the owners and by withdrawing my support/money is the only thing I have left.

The issue is as a fan you go regardless whether it's good or bad, whoever the oppo, wherever the game and on whatever day. That's how I used to be. However, the venkys don't treat us as fans but as customers. But as a customer you are not obligated to go and if the product on offer is substandard you don't have to go.

So if I keep going I can still sit on my high horse saying I support the club through thick and thin but in doing so I'm indirectly endorsing the owners actions. On the other hand if I withdraw support I'm no longer supporting the club through thick and thin and a glory hunter fair weather fan. Can't really win.

I'll renew, not because I'm a 'SuperFan' or that it is just a habit, but because I believe we MUST keep a core of match going fans if the club is going to stay competitive, even in this wretched league.

In the summer of 2012, people 'boycotted' because of Kean, Kean went and our crowds did not improve.

In the summer of 2016, people will stop because of these owners, their choice, of course, but in reality if means the vast majority won't be seen again- whoever ends up as the owner- history tells us that once ST holders get out the habit, most never return, even though you'll see plenty of posters on here saying 'I'll be back as soon as they go'.

A club going forward with crowds of say 6000, with massive debts and costs is not attractive at all to any potential saviour.

'I'd rather be playing at Pleasy them with these owners', well I for one wouldn't, whilst we still have a league club, an infrastructure, we should fight for it.

We are not the first club with horrendous owners and we won't be the last, I believe we should be there, supporting the players, calling out the owners, putting our point across in the media and the wider game (look at Charlton's support- where's our anger?) and be part of any recovery for when administration inevitably occurs.

It is a shame so many will not go to games , I don't see it as endorsing the Venkys the fact that I will renew , I see it as loving my football club no matter who owns it , who manages it , who plays for it I would never criticise those who don't go , nor try and convince them otherwise , it's their choice , their money but there's no doubt in my mind that a full stadium of supporters provides a far better platform for players to perform and (rightly or wrongly) give a player a chance of playing in front of 12000 fans or 25000 fans I'm sure they would prefer the latter

Sometimes just going out of duty and loyalty is what you have to do. Thousands do it week in week out around the country at clubs with no hope and have never, will never have any it's the name of the game.

However as we know it runs much deeper here and whilst we are no worse off on the outside than any number of clubs the wreckage of what we had from inside out is unbelievable. It's more than the football side of it it's morally corrupt and has been since the moment they walked through the door.

Charlton, Villa, Blackpool have targets for their ire and they'll win in the end however long it takes, they'll eventually drive em out and get their clubs back in some form. Us, we are just on a whim and I really wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them are letting the club rot on purpose now in pure spite of the hassle and money it's caused them.

If they feck off and leave us in the mire and we end up with the groundsman in charge i'll buy a ten year season ticket. If they start fecking about with untried coaches, ex players again whilst selling players again and pocketing the coin or whatever I'm out. Permanently till they've gone.

Can't see crowds of 6k . There was a lot of people saying that's it yesterday . Round were I sit there must of been 50 at least missing . It's nothing to do with super fans now it's to do with the scumbags in India killing our club . It's on it's last legs and fans are not passionate enough to get angry , Blimy we dint even get upset . Charlton fans and Blackpool fans have we don't .

Absolutely now way was there more than 8/9 thousand on that ground yesterday. You could have fit everyone in the JW stand no problem. Even accounting for all season ticket holders c10k whether there or not and the 780ish visiting fans how the hell they got that crowd figure i'll never know.

Are they dressing it up again by issuing corporates and freebies and counting them whether they are used or not ? We've aimed the arse covering in the past at Shaw, Myers, Agnew, and many before but who's doing it now, there's hardly any arses left to cover !

• Backroom

(look at Charlton's support- where's our anger?)

Do you think they'll still be as angry in 5 years time if their owners are still there and their protests haven't achieved anything? We also have a section of support which will back the owners blindly no matter what, as Abs found out recently, and that ends up turning fans against each other rather than taking a united stance.

• Moderation Lead

Absolutely now way was there more than 8/9 thousand on that ground yesterday. You could have fit everyone in the JW stand no problem. Even accounting for all season ticket holders c10k whether there or not and the 780ish visiting fans how the hell they got that crowd figure i'll never know.

Are they dressing it up again by issuing corporates and freebies and counting them whether they are used or not ? We've aimed the arse covering in the past at Shaw, Myers, Agnew, and many before but who's doing it now, there's hardly any arses left to cover !

There's always a difference between the actual attendance and what is read out as it's tickets sold and season ticket holders will be counted every game regardless of whether they were there or not. Me and JBizzle weren't there yesterday and we'll have been counted. This isn't aimed at you at all Tomphil, but people seem to speculate about the actual 'bums on seats' number, when in reality it's easily explained.

There's always a difference between the actual attendance and what is read out as it's tickets sold and season ticket holders will be counted every game regardless of whether they were there or not. Me and JBizzle weren't there yesterday and we'll have been counted. This isn't aimed at you at all Tomphil, but people seem to speculate about the actual 'bums on seats' number, when in reality it's easily explained.

. How do football clubs get away with that ??? From a purely health and safety point of view , God forbid any major incident took place , you would think the exact number of people in the ground would be more important than fluffing attendences

Every club in the land 'lies' about the attendance by counting tickets sold rather than people in the ground. I'm glad Rovers do it because I'd be embarrassed if the official gates were sub-10,000.

For me its simple, keep Lambert and let him rebuild, then renewing is a no-brainer. If Lambert walks but they then replace him with another proper manager then I'll be annoyed, but still renew without question.

If Lambert walks then they replace him with a cheap yes man coach, or someone with no experience, or someone just because they used to play for Rovers, or even mess about for weeks and weeks meaning we're on the back foot for next season, then I'll have to seriously question it.

Interesting that Bristol City manager Lee Johnson said after the game yesterday that the hard work for next season starts for them now. They have a list of players to work through, know their budgets, and now they are safe can start working on that. Then you look at our club and wonder what chance we have with Venkys and possible budget cuts.

I'll renew, not because I'm a 'SuperFan' or that it is just a habit, but because I believe we MUST keep a core of match going fans if the club is going to stay competitive, even in this wretched league.

In the summer of 2012, people 'boycotted' because of Kean, Kean went and our crowds did not improve.

In the summer of 2016, people will stop because of these owners, their choice, of course, but in reality if means the vast majority won't be seen again- whoever ends up as the owner- history tells us that once ST holders get out the habit, most never return, even though you'll see plenty of posters on here saying 'I'll be back as soon as they go'.

A club going forward with crowds of say 6000, with massive debts and costs is not attractive at all to any potential saviour.

'I'd rather be playing at Pleasy them with these owners', well I for one wouldn't, whilst we still have a league club, an infrastructure, we should fight for it.

We are not the first club with horrendous owners and we won't be the last, I believe we should be there, supporting the players, calling out the owners, putting our point across in the media and the wider game (look at Charlton's support- where's our anger?) and be part of any recovery for when administration inevitably occurs.

Good post. It is starting to feel like we are back "there" again. Anger has been replaced with apathy as a means of expression though.

What constitutes fighting for the club?

Is it to "keep legitimising it" by continuing to support the regime at the same time as the club?

Or is it to stop putting money in Venkys pockets and hope that they get the message and sell/leave?

The problem is that you can't hurt Venkys and although some might feel like they are sticking one in the eye, they are only really hurting the club. Venkys are insulated from it and are no longer even present. How can one withdraw support for Venkys ownership but continue to support the club. The only way is to continue to pay for season tickets but to either not turn up or to visibly demonstrate. But with Venkys not there to see it, it only hurts the team.

Not renewing will mean less chance of a competitive team and less chance of new owners. I would say that it would be good if those who didn't renew were to give their ST money to the RoversTrust but the vast majority won't. We just do not have large fanatical support like the North East or Merseyside, we have people who like to watch a game of football and be entertained and complain when we aren't. We want value for money and want to see a tangible return.

I wonder if Charlton fans are talking about whether or not to renew? Because they have the same dilemma. I wonder what the FSF view is on this sort of thing. It must be fairly common where owners get a vote of no confidence in the owners. I guess they simply demonstrate and something changes. Owners would normally be shamed into action. Our owners have no shame, despite apparently being very proud.

That's why is said in the post that even accounting for all season ticket holders and away fans being included regardless you still couldn't get anywhere near 12,780+.

Your looking at several thousand walk ups actually paying and being in the ground, it ain't happening.

Renew if you want..the choice is yours.We now ALL know what is going on at this club and its not for its benefit.

I'm at peace with the decision I made a few seasons ago.

P.S.

When the Rao's have finished smashing their Wrecking Ball through our club keep hold of your old Rovers memorabilia...it will be with a small fortune.

You'll get my drift.

I've never had a season ticket for several reasons. Mainly because I couldn't attend games other that Saturday afternoons. In the Premier League era when my family and work obligations eased to the point were I could have got a season ticket only about half the home games seemed to be on a Saturday afternoon at 3.00. So I can't not re-new.

About this time last season I'd got to the point were events at the club were seriously getting me down. I decided to give the Club a rest on every level. I no longer went to any games and I no longer contributed to this site. I managed to keep my involvement to a minimum and I felt a good bit better for it !

I broke my exile to watch us play that friendly at my local team, Rochdale. What I saw that night turned me off completely, we were a shambles.

When Lambert and Co were appointed and a few decent signings were made my enthusiasm came back and I thought I could see some light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.

Now I find myself almost back to where I started this time last year, disillusioned and depressed. Wondering where do we go from here.

You feel glad the seasons nearly over but then you realise that the next instalment of the circus is just around the corner. Even during the close season the speculation will go on and on about our manager, our better players.

Always met with a deafening silence from the owners and the Club.

I said ages ago that they are a cancer within the body of the Club and like any cancer until they are removed the Club cannot thrive.

Will I still be anxious from first whistle to last whistle every time we play ? Of course, but I'll try and keep the Club at arms length until they go.

What constitutes fighting for the club?

You can 'boycott', but a 'boycott' usualy means that you will return once your aims have been met- we end up on crowds of 6000 in League 1/2, Venky's go replaced by a local businessman, do the 'boycotters' return? A few, but in reality we have permanently lost 15000 fans.

But yes, boycotting is a legitimate protest.

The other way is to keep going to matches, let your feelings known, protest during and after matches. Get in the press, campaign through groups like the Trust, like BRAG, whoever. One day these lot will be gone, and with a decent support level still at matches we can re-build, almost impossible to do when most fans have long gone.

Do you think they'll still be as angry in 5 years time if their owners are still there and their protests haven't achieved anything? We also have a section of support which will back the owners blindly no matter what, as Abs found out recently, and that ends up turning fans against each other rather than taking a united stance.

Charlton's protests are much bigger, bolder and vociferous than ours ever were back in 2011, and by God we had so much more to lose.

Just stopping going seems to be the only 'protest' at Ewood Park, personal choice, but lets not dress it up as something noble.

• Backroom

Charlton's protests are much bigger, bolder and vociferous than ours ever were back in 2011, and by God we had so much more to lose.

Just stopping going seems to be the only 'protest' at Ewood Park, personal choice, but lets not dress it up as something noble.

I think the problem was, at the time, almost everything was directed at Kean. There were a lot of people who still thought Venky's would do the right thing if Kean could be removed from power. Charlton meanwhile already know their owners are ridiculous and will destroy them regardless of who is in charge.

You can 'boycott', but a 'boycott' usualy means that you will return once your aims have been met- we end up on crowds of 6000 in League 1/2, Venky's go replaced by a local businessman, do the 'boycotters' return? A few, but in reality we have permanently lost 15000 fans.

But yes, boycotting is a legitimate protest.

The other way is to keep going to matches, let your feelings known, protest during and after matches. Get in the press, campaign through groups like the Trust, like BRAG, whoever. One day these lot will be gone, and with a decent support level still at matches we can re-build, almost impossible to do when most fans have long gone.

Agreed but I don't think that match day demonstrations/protests would...

1) Be well supported

2) Have a clear aim / unite the fan base

3) Generate any media attention

4) Reach Venkys

5) Work

And this ignores the fact that we only have one more match day to protest at for 3+ months. Where would demostrations/protests centre if PL leaves or something worse happens the day after the Reading game?

But without something positive happening over the Summer, many many more fans will not renew and potentially be lost for the foreseeable future. Worryingly suggestive of Venkys lack of input and the lack of board room is that next season's STs are still not on sale yet. Surely they need to be out this week, now that we are safe and know which division we are in?

Charlton have the owner sat in the ground so it's far easier to direct their anger. Even the press would barely report one from us these days. It only got so much coverage in the Kean era because of the ulterior motives of some plus the fact the fans finally blew a gasket in a live Prem local derby game.

Charlton fans picked a live game to ramp it up and it worked.

You can rest assured that if our lot attended regularly or they had a permanent guy in the directors box representing them that they'd have got some verbals by now.

Archived