BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Article -> New Rovers Manager

My son - an ardent Rovers fan - has just e-mailed me as follows -

Yep… xxxxx at work was saying that about the SEM/Kentaro link. He (Coyle) only signs their players – when he was at Burnley he signed four who got nowhere near the first team. Sound familiar??

Looks like Steve Kean on the headphones just behind Rooney!!***???

No, he's too busy "loving life" in Brunei...

giphy.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Standout Candidate" -

Ragging promotion with a small rag-tag squad.

I doubt even Venkys know anything about Coyle's 'achievement'

The club is rotten from top to bottom, this appointment has been made because of who his representatives are, not for his managerial capabilities which is awful at best.

Anyone who thinks this is anything other than a complete and utter p1ss take, disaster in the making simply doesn't care enough, I wish I could join that club.

Owen Coyle will fail, he'll fail badly, but it won't be his fault, he's again been promoted beyond his abilities, so again we end up at the same place and that is:

#venkysout - Its as simple as that.

I have no problem with the fact that Coyle has managed Burnley (or Bolton for that matter) or even that he appeared to have a pop at the Rovers fans' treatment of Kean. Playing for or managing rival clubs has always been part and parcel of football and it's not as if he supports them or even left them on good terms. Sticking up for Kean was partly LMA solidarity and partly because he actually does know Kean personally and nobody would like to see a mate get that amount of stick - It wouldn't surprise me at all if privately he was advising Kean to walk away.

I do have a problem with the SEM/Kentaro thing and I think Owen should speak up about that early in his tenure because until that perception is removed (if indeed it can be) then he will have no chance here.

My biggest issue about the appointment of Owen Coyle though, are these three facts:

1. He simply does not fit the person spec for the position as outlined by Mike Cheston. He is, in fact, the polar opposite of what we were supposed to be looking for.

2. We had supposedly carried out ALL the manager interviews before Coyle had even left his job in the USA. Somebody will need to come out and explain how this was so.

3. His record over the past 6 years simply does not stand up to any scrutiny. How does this make him the best candidate for the job?

As an aside - and the only positive I personally can take from this - Owen's wife and his sister (who is married to ex player Gerry Britton and lives just round the corner from me) both taught my kids in high school and are regular visitors to my locality. He does come across as being a decent bloke and is very passionate about the game. Perhaps as part of a team with Irvine, Kelly, Johnson, Dunn and Kinder it might, just might work.

I have no problem with the fact that Coyle has managed Burnley (or Bolton for that matter) or even that he appeared to have a pop at the Rovers fans' treatment of Kean. Playing for or managing rival clubs has always been part and parcel of football and it's not as if he supports them or even left them on good terms. Sticking up for Kean was partly LMA solidarity and partly because he actually does know Kean personally and nobody would like to see a mate get that amount of stick - It wouldn't surprise me at all if privately he was advising Kean to walk away.

I do have a problem with the SEM/Kentaro thing and I think Owen should speak up about that early in his tenure because until that perception is removed (if indeed it can be) then he will have no chance here.

My biggest issue about the appointment of Owen Coyle though, are these three facts:

1. He simply does not fit the person spec for the position as outlined by Mike Cheston. He is, in fact, the polar opposite of what we were supposed to be looking for.

2. We had supposedly carried out ALL the manager interviews before Coyle had even left his job in the USA. Somebody will need to come out and explain how this was so.

3. His record over the past 6 years simply does not stand up to any scrutiny. How does this make him the best candidate for the job?

As an aside - and the only positive I personally can take from this - Owen's wife and his sister (who is married to ex player Gerry Britton and lives just round the corner from me) both taught my kids in high school and are regular visitors to my locality. He does come across as being a decent bloke and is very passionate about the game. Perhaps as part of a team with Irvine, Kelly, Johnson, Dunn and Kinder it might, just might work.

These are pretty much my thoughts.

And any moment now you will wake up to reality

I don't understand this, he pretty much summed up the situation perfectly.

It won't work though will it? Lambert was the best we could hope for and it wasn't given a chance to work. Coyle us @#/? and could be given Bowyer amounts of time and it won't work.

What's the common denominator people?

This is the most disturbing comment of the day.

"I am pretty happy with the appointment. I think they got it right, someone with experience that has connections. Rest of those so called supporters can blow the Ricola horn as far as I'm concerned."

Ignoring the conspiracy theories it's a bad bad appointnent. Fans would wonder on how well Souness would do after a number of years out of management yet it has been just as long since Coyle did anything of note. Since then he has fcked up at Bolton, Wigan and in the wilderness of the MLS ffs!!

It won't work though will it? Lambert was the best we could hope for and it wasn't given a chance to work. Coyle us @#/? and could be given Bowyer amounts of time and it won't work.

What's the common denominator people?

Corrupt people in real control (not the Venkys) with clueless owners (the Venkys) who are the stooges

Which was my point - so what is yours for challenging what I wrote?

It wasn't though, you said...

Suggesting he was dreaming. He made one positive point but if you read his entire post he's obviously not positive about the appointment at all.

Forget the dingle or agency thing and look at the last 5yrs or so of Coyle and he has to be about the worst candidate outside of the unknown ones. Take away that promotion SEVEN years ago and the man is gash.

Awful awful appointment then factor back in the rest of the stuff and there is no clearer message to the contempt the so called owners hold the fans and club in. From day one they have NEVER done anything in the best interests of the club and that's why we are where we are, now it continues.

So many opportunities and chances they've had to put things right but they are hell bent on dragging this club down the drain. How anyone can buy into it anymore I really don't know . It's sick !

Many thanks for your well thought out and analytical response to what was actually on the whole a very negative post, finished off with a hopeful rather than positive last sentence. Perhaps if you actually look at what I have typed objectively and with some thought, you may find very little you can actually descibe as unrealistic.

I don't see why Dave Whelan thinks it acceptable to hire a manager and then try to pick the team for him. How many of us would tolerate that? If I was a manager under him I would warn him to never undermine me again.

Let's not give Dave Whelan too much credibility.

My take on this is that we are going down next season come what may. I cannot see any other scenario. Coyle wouldn't be my pick but he is here, and I will renew my ticket, give him a chance and hope for the best.

In the circumstances, I am glad that Irvine and Kelly are to remain.

I don't think the ethos behind the oft quoted "Rovers 'til I die" should be conditional. You either believe that or you don't.

Anyone know Mike Cheston's email or the general club format I.e. Mike.Cheston@rovers.co.uk?

I'm interested in attempting to get an explanation of how Coyle was the stand out candidate when he didn't make the original shortlist and doesn't meet the apparent job spec (apart from willing to work with Irvine and Kelly).

Archived