BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Article -> New Rovers Manager

Coyle left Houston because his family wouldnt/couldn't move out with him. He is expecting a small budget and small squad at rovers but believes he does his best work under those circumstances. He is a people person and looks to build camaraderie amongst his teams.

The Burnley squad he had ate together, drank together and played together and the players felt part of a team. That's his strength and he recognises he's not the best technically.

The doughnuts thing is part of that, on your birthday you brought cakes in. In a similar team building way, the worst trainer trained the next day in a superman costume...silly things that brought the players together as a unit. Sounds ridiculous but it worked at burnley.

Fact is, he's in position now. He knows what he's taken on and it's down to him now to see what he can do. He's identified players he wants to bring in and will start now as well as looking at coaching/scouting staff to bolster those already there and he's already started making calls.

It's not ideal but let's be realistic, who would be ideal in the position rovers are in at the moment?

Surely what he believes is irrelevant? We got enough of managers distorting reality to paint themselves in a decent light when Kean was in charge. He believes he does his best work on a small budget/squad, what's the objective reality? He relegated Bolton and finished 3rd bottom of the Western Conference with Houston. That's his best work is it?

He left Burnley 5.5 years ago and has managed almost 200 games since, poorly. Kevin Blackwell did about as well with Sheff Utd as Coyle did with Burnley, in around the same period. I doubt many fans would be too keen on us hiring him exactly because for the last 5-6 years he's done nothing of note, same as Coyle.

How about Billy Davies, Steve Evans, Neil Warnock? Hardly world beaters but at least their recent records represent something of an improvement on Bowyer. In terms of recent records, Coyle is virtually identical to Bowyer, so at best we won't go anywhere.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Standout candidate"?

They continue to treat supporters like fools patronising us with their spin

I'm warning you Cheston, Venkys et al this will come back to bite you on the bum and hard!

Putting himself right in the firing line. Venky boy.

We've made a few insane appointments in those 55 years,did you stop going when Iley,Kidd,Ince,KEANE,Berg,Appleton was appointed,what's the big difference now?

None of them had failed disastrously at their last 3 clubs?

There's no evidence that is true, though. Crowds have dwindled throughout their tenure and they continue to put out statements saying they aren't interested in selling.

For the record, Coyle's win % in his last three jobs read:

Bolton 33%

Wigan 30%

Houston 34%

If people want to throw out hypotheticals to justify Coyle's appointment, go ahead. But reality will bite you hard on the arse when the season starts.

I'd guess that at Bolton and Houston his 'win' percentage drastically dropped off as his reign settled in and he assembled his own squad.

At. Houston this year for example his win ratio is just 23%

He kept Bolton up first season but relegated them subsequently. Again they deteriorated during his reign to just 26% in his final season.

Despite his short spell at Wigan, they lost their last 3 games under him. Hardly progressing there.

It stinks.

Also, in terms of overall win % Coyle's is 40% which is exactly the same as Warnock's who was overwhelmingly voted for on this board. Yes, stats like that don't always show the full picture, but still interesting.

See above.

Poor appointment imo but its done now.

Get signing some players Mr Coyle.

Absolutely predictable but unbelievable non the less.

Confirmed from the Club statement that one of the key requisites for the role was a willingness to work with Irvine and Kelly. I.e. save money.

Find it hard to bring myself to wish him good luck, but he'll certainly need it after inheriting the "squad" left by Lambert.

Sorry Rev. I'm going to have to point out your idiocy every time you mention this crap from now on.

You are beginning to look very stupid indeed, Simon.

I'll say it slowly because you are clearly struggling with the whole concept.

This is the squad.

That Bowyer built.

Lambert was not allowed.

To change it.

He had 5 months

To reverse.

3.5 years of damage.

Plus 2 years of.

A novice manager.

Burning through.

The last of our parachute payments.

Now, which bit exactly do you not get?

Hate to be negative before a ball's even been kicked but Bolton fans would have pointed enthusiastically to Burnley as reason to be positive, Wigan fans would have ignored Bolton and pointed semi-confidently to Burnley, Houston fans would have ignored Bolton and Wigan and pointed hopefully to Burnley. We need to ignore Bolton, Wigan and Houston and, at this point in my opinion, point delusionally towards Burnley.

Here in peace.

You have my sympathy. Coyle had one gift at ours, to get a group of payers to buy his vision and be prepared to run through brick walls for him. He preached a doctrine of loyalty, togetherness, a sort of musketeers all for one ethos. Fans and players alike bought it and it created a momentum all its own. For a while we rode that wave - then he left how he did, he betrayed every player who signed for him and every player who'd turned down moves elsewhere. He'd preached a mantra of faithfulness, loyalty, if not only being about money - then almost bit Gartsides hand off when offered his 30 pieces.

Trouble is that kind of buy in was all he had. He had no tactics, it was all motivation. He could hardly look a player in the eye and talk about commitment and loyalty after that. Had he stayed until the end of the season his reputation would have been intact, the likely relegation not seen as anything down to him.

So can he succeed again? I doubt it but maybe with a group of younger players who are less aware of his duplicity who knows. My money would be on not but then again I do know he is capable of delivering something special so it's possible. Of course all that ignores his connections to us and his agent.

As Stuart (I think) put it, this is possibly the script ending we'd have written had we been allowed to plan your last 5 years and very few Burnley fans will be other than delighted with this appointment.

Absolutely predictable but unbelievable non the less.

This is how the chaddy cycle continues, Al.

Wait for an opinion contrary to his blind love to become popular.

Vent and pout, and threaten to join the dissenting ranks.

Immediately accept a Rovers formal statement no matter how terrible.

Move on.

Pontificate about being a fan for life not just for Christmas.

Put down others who are "not proper fans".

Pretty damning stuff by the dingle if we take it at face value.

Even supporters of the one club he was successful at OVER 6 YEARS AGO cast serious doubts on his managerial 'ability'

Standout candidate my arse.

It stinks.

I did Perth - but honestly, how is he even considered? He has done the sum of nothing since he left us.

Oh and you may have the delight to come of Henry Winter waxing lyrical about what an amazing man he is.

As a Burnley fan it's a treat, as a football fan it's a sad indictment of football in this country.

Here in peace.

You have my sympathy. Coyle had one gift at ours, to get a group of payers to buy his vision and be prepared to run through brick walls for him. He preached a doctrine of loyalty, togetherness, a sort of musketeers all for one ethos. Fans and players alike bought it and it created a momentum all its own. For a while we rode that wave - then he left how he did, he betrayed every player who signed for him and every player who'd turned down moves elsewhere. He'd preached a mantra of faithfulness, loyalty, if not only being about money - then almost bit Gartsides hand off when offered his 30 pieces.

Trouble is that kind of buy in was all he had. He had no tactics, it was all motivation. He could hardly look a player in the eye and talk about commitment and loyalty after that. Had he stayed until the end of the season his reputation would have been intact, the likely relegation not seen as anything down to him.

So can he succeed again? I doubt it but maybe with a group of younger players who are less aware of his duplicity who knows. My money would be on not but then again I do know he is capable of delivering something special so it's possible. Of course all that ignores his connections to us and his agent.

As Stuart (I think) put it, this is possibly the script ending we'd have written had we been allowed to plan your last 5 years and very few Burnley fans will be other than delighted with this appointment.

I think you've made an important point here. Coyle had one power, once. Loyalty.

The fact that he has failed everywhere since suggests that he cannot play his one trick ever again, and all that is left is a manager-shaped shell.

Well, if all managers wore shorts and shinpads on match days.

If it weren't so serious, it'd be hilarious. High times over at the dark, cobbled end of the M65. You enjoy these days, Longers. I know you will.

• Backroom

Here in peace.

Jesus that's grim - thanks for being straight without gloating

Archived