BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Article -> New Rovers Manager

Let's see what happens with the results first. If we struggle and his SEM connection keeps him a job when it's clear he has to go then it would be fair to suggest we have a Kean situation all over again.

Not the time right now to make that judgement call imo.

Wake up and smell the fecking coffee ffs. This isn't a football decision.

The transfer gravy train is pulling up to the station and you want to enjoy the ride first!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, perhaps by my own fault, you have missed my issue with todays news.

This isn't about Coyle. I don't rate him, I remember him sticking the boot in with Kean, I remember him celebrating wildly in front of Rovers fans while at Bolton - but I can accept things change in football. I've booed Diouf, Savage, Bellamy - but i've also cheered them. This is the same scenario as with Coyle.

As far as I'm concerned the appointment of Coyle is a symbol of defiance from Venkys and their advisors, who I believe to be SEM. I also put the clubs decline over the last 5 years squarely at the feet of everybody involved, Venkys, SEM, Kean - all of them. My reasons for refusing to have anything to do with the club moving forwards are simple, I cannot bring myself to show any signs of support towards what they are doing at this football club. As far as I'm concerned with Venkys and SEM still at this football club they may as well hire Kean and put him on the touchline, not Coyle. Its the same thing to me, whether its Coyle or Kean on the touchline no longer matters. They are the same breed.

Very well made points. This is proof that the virus is still there. It was only ever dormant. We should make no mistake. This is also a show of "power" from the Venkstains.

Also, a strange mixture of desperation and arrogance for "Oweny"( C.Nicholas aaagh) to take the job.

What he said about Kean was a dirty, stinking lie on behalf of an agency of liars and cheats. It helped undermine the honest protests of innocent supporters, who were desperate to be heard and for the authorities to take responsibility. Now take all that to confession, Mr Holier than Thou nice guy..F****OFF!!

• Backroom

There's no evidence that is true, though. Crowds have dwindled throughout their tenure and they continue to put out statements saying they aren't interested in selling.

For the record, Coyle's win % in his last three jobs read:

Bolton 33%

Wigan 30%

Houston 34%

Gary Bowyer had a win % of 34% at Rovers. So management-wise we're essentially no better off than we were one year ago. We do, however, have a much weaker squad, a much weaker boardroom structure (which wasn't strong to begin with) and a fanbase more disenchanted than ever before.

If people want to throw out hypotheticals to justify Coyle's appointment, go ahead. But reality will bite you hard on the arse when the season starts.

Sorry to pick your post out DE but just been doing a bit of research and your line here leads right into it.

During the Kean and Bowyer tenures our fans have cried out that we needed experience at the helm, men who had been there and done it before, not novices.

Our current management team reads:

Coyle - 401 games as manager (119 in Championship)

Irvine- 191 games as manager (110 in Championship)

Kelly- 67 games as manager (63 in Championship)

Totals in management team: 659 Games (292 in Championship)

Compare that to GB and SK who basically started Championship seasons with 0 games experience in the League, then it's chalk and cheese really on paper.

No matter how much people want to argue different, this is what fans were shouting for a couple of years ago. Whether they are the right people is another question. But it's still a giant leap forward from the novices that were managing the team for years after they booted SA out the door on their arrival.

For the record, I'm not thrilled by the appointment, but people are making out that Coyle is a disaster of a manager and a total lemon, which simply isn't true.

Also, in terms of overall win % Coyle's is 40% which is exactly the same as Warnock's who was overwhelmingly voted for on this board. Yes, stats like that don't always show the full picture, but still interesting.

Also, in terms of overall win % Coyle's is 40% which is exactly the same as Warnock's who was overwhelmingly voted for on this board. Yes, stats like that don't always show the full picture, but still interesting.

Think you're missing out the key point there. Coyle has had 9 seasons in management. The first 5 he did well, the last 4 he's been poor. This reminds me of Newcastle's appointment of Steve McClaren, its only clubs with idiot owners that fail to see when a manager has lost it. Nobody else was after McClaren and nobody else will have been after Coyle.

Lambert is the only manager Venkys have ever appointed where we had to compete with other clubs.

• Backroom

For the record, I'm not thrilled by the appointment, but people are making out that Coyle is a disaster of a manager and a total lemon, which simply isn't true.

He has been a disaster for the past few years, though, hasn't he? Experience is important, but it isn't the only criteria. If it was we might as well have tried to tempt Dario Gradi back into the dugout.

Putting all of that aside, though, the bad reaction to the appointment is not just because the guy's ex-Burnley or got a poor recent record. It goes a lot deeper than that. His appointment is a very strong indication that everything we thought was rotten about our club is still very much alive, and that the club at its core still belongs to SEM - in whatever form it currently exists as.

• Backroom

All posturing aside, if you go on a Bolton or a Burnley message board, they'll all be cocking themselves laughing at us, which speaks volumes.

Sorry, KH, not really true.

"There's little doubt that you were the most popular manager of this club in my life time and that's 60 years of watching, the level of support for you was intense bordering as you know on worship, it made you dizzy with footballing power and then a tad too arrogant.

Without you however this club would now most probably be a struggling 1st division outfit, so those heady cavaliering days should never be forgotten, you got this club and town to believe in itself."

"People have such short memories he brought joy to this club that no manager has before, you couldn't write anything negative on here about him without being deemed a traitor. To the point he left he brought joy, he might even still be fondly remembered if we hadn't appointed BL. He was a breath of fresh air for this club, obviously a throw back to the days of Roy of the Rovers..."

"yes he did do some good for our club and we probably wouldnt be where we are without him so yes he should be remembered as a manager who advanced the club"

Some Burnley responses to his appointment at Rovers. I should clarify that there are also plenty negative ones too claiming we deserve a scumbag like him as manager, but some of them still rate him despite them getting screwed over by him.

My mate is a big wigan fan, works at Witton Park school. He is absolutely disgusted for us, basically told me we've appointed Steve Kean mk2 and that he is a complete and utter joke, which seems to be the common feeling amongst their fans.

Some people are just so far removed from the reality of the situation. The situation at Ewood is no longer a conpsiracy but a fact that the club is being run by a 3rd party agency. Just read Roverstalk for an ostrich opinion or even this from the LET

I seem to be the only one who is reasonably pleased with this appointment. Too many acting like sheep and following others slagging of OC. He did well at Burnley, so so at the others. All I care is someone who can sort out the team. Some are so blind they can't see past the Dingle connection. If we win three out of the first five all will be forgotten #hypocrites.

These "what if" posters are just trying to set traps. There is no way to win with them. They are determined goldfish - a very dangerous breed. Forget everything that has gone before and keep an open mind. These same people presumably would happily to get mugged twice by the same person. Going back to the same nefarious location "they won't drive me away".

If we win the majority of the first 10 games, they will seize on any let-up with 'hypocrisy hypocrisy'. If we win the majority of games, and people continue to want him out 'there's no pleasing people'.

The most likely outcome is that he WON'T actually win the majority of the opening 10 games. Not because 'people won't give him a chance' but because he's a crap manager and because his very signing has brought about further distrust, further apathy, less pride, another slight by Venkys to the fans, and worst of all ridicule and mock pity from Bumley and Bolton fans. I can only assume that some of you don't come into contact with such people. It's @#/?.

Bumley will be way ahead of us, on and - most frustratingly - off the pitch, for years to come. Wake up people! Would a Bumley fan have been able to think up a more perfect five years than they have seen? They continue to do astute business and we continue to implode.

#VenkysOut

Sorry, KH, not really true.

"There's little doubt that you were the most popular manager of this club in my life time and that's 60 years of watching, the level of support for you was intense bordering as you know on worship, it made you dizzy with footballing power and then a tad too arrogant.

Without you however this club would now most probably be a struggling 1st division outfit, so those heady cavaliering days should never be forgotten, you got this club and town to believe in itself."

"People have such short memories he brought joy to this club that no manager has before, you couldn't write anything negative on here about him without being deemed a traitor. To the point he left he brought joy, he might even still be fondly remembered if we hadn't appointed BL. He was a breath of fresh air for this club, obviously a throw back to the days of Roy of the Rovers..."

"yes he did do some good for our club and we probably wouldnt be where we are without him so yes he should be remembered as a manager who advanced the club"

Some Burnley responses to his appointment at Rovers. I should clarify that there are also plenty negative ones too claiming we deserve a scumbag like him as manager, but some of them still rate him despite them getting screwed over by him.

The middle one gives the game away I'm afraid. Clearly the minority view.

With respect, the Bumley equivalents of RevidgeClaret, Parsonclaret, and chaddydingles.

• Backroom

Think you're missing out the key point there. Coyle has had 9 seasons in management. The first 5 he did well, the last 4 he's been poor. This reminds me of Newcastle's appointment of Steve McClaren, its only clubs with idiot owners that fail to see when a manager has lost it. Nobody else was after McClaren and nobody else will have been after Coyle.

Lambert is the only manager Venkys have ever appointed where we had to compete with other clubs.

Fair point, he's been poor in later stage of his management career. Can't argue with that.

The only thing I'll mention is Houston have been in the bottom 5 spenders in MLS out of 20 teams last few years. So no great surprise that they end up near the bottom. People beating him with a stick over a league they know little about.

He has been a disaster for the past few years, though, hasn't he? Experience is important, but it isn't the only criteria. If it was we might as well have tried to tempt Dario Gradi back into the dugout.

Putting all of that aside, though, the bad reaction to the appointment is not just because the guy's ex-Burnley or got a poor recent record. It goes a lot deeper than that. His appointment is a very strong indication that everything we thought was rotten about our club is still very much alive, and that the club at its core still belongs to SEM - in whatever form it currently exists as.

Yeah, the SEM link is the worst part of all this, and I get everyone's anger/worry over this point.

Trust me, I feel the pain of the portugeezers etc too, and genuinely feel that period probably set the club back a couple of years after the money was raped and pillaged and all that was left was a bunch of lazy, crap footballers on the books.

Id be surprised (and i bit let down) if tp well respected guys looking ke irvine and kelly sticl around for letting long(they've probably forgot more about the football than coyle will ever know) im sure they will be gone one way or another before pre season training starts and replaced by a couple more sem goons.

Coyle left Houston because his family wouldnt/couldn't move out with him. He is expecting a small budget and small squad at rovers but believes he does his best work under those circumstances. He is a people person and looks to build camaraderie amongst his teams.

The Burnley squad he had ate together, drank together and played together and the players felt part of a team. That's his strength and he recognises he's not the best technically.

The doughnuts thing is part of that, on your birthday you brought cakes in. In a similar team building way, the worst trainer trained the next day in a superman costume...silly things that brought the players together as a unit. Sounds ridiculous but it worked at burnley.

Fact is, he's in position now. He knows what he's taken on and it's down to him now to see what he can do. He's identified players he wants to bring in and will start now as well as looking at coaching/scouting staff to bolster those already there and he's already started making calls.

It's not ideal but let's be realistic, who would be ideal in the position rovers are in at the moment?

Id be surprised (and i bit let down) if tp well respected guys looking ke irvine and kelly sticl around for letting long(they've probably forgot more about the football than coyle will ever know) im sure they will be gone one way or another before pre season training starts and replaced by a couple more sem goons.

That's exactly what will happen but the timeline will be a bit longer. The first sign of trouble and one or both of them will be served up just like the three coaches revolving door under Kean.

It's all set up for the perfect storm just like cocos time. Mrs D will be delighted because she won't have to bother about Rovers now for another two years whilst the latest circus does it's turn watched over by the re hired organ grinders.

The one tiny tiny consolation is being the new stooge they may just back him with a couple of quid should it be available although I fully expect him to plonk some rubbish in the squad on well paid contracts courtesy of his buddies and their %.

I'll say it again - what if we start the season well and the team is looking good ?

Coyle's past record and SEM connections will be irrelevant if gets the results.

I'll repeat that I'm not happy with this appointment but there has been an over-reaction on here.

It really won't bother me if they start the season well. I didn't go when Kean managed in the Championship and we started well. The sight of Kean in the technical area angered me and I don't pay to feel angry. Ditto Coyle.

I think only appointing Kean could have had a worse effect.

I see SEM_NW is active again on twitter today , wonder why he does not post this on here,

"For anybody interested in the truth rather than unfounded drama,the only time JA met OC, was halftime at an Arsenal Bolton game 8yrs ago"

Big company SEM and the other Umbrella companies of Kentaro and a busy man Mr Anderson, wonder how many other of SEM clients he only met once

That's the part that bothers me the most.

Absolutely. Him performing terribly for the past few years and being ex-Burnley are secondary to him being connected to SEM (despite what lard arse says to the contrary). That's my major, major issue here and I can't and won't look past it. I'm amazed some can.

I see SEM_NW is active again on twitter today , wonder why he does not post this on here,

"For anybody interested in the truth rather than unfounded drama,the only time JA met OC, was halftime at an Arsenal Bolton game 8yrs ago"

Big company SEM and the other Umbrella companies of Kentaro and a busy man Mr Anderson, wonder how many other of SEM clients he only met once

I've asked him or someone or even JA to come on here but he said it's all too ridiculous. He's right on that.

Adamant that there are no direct links now with SEM and Coyle and it was Coyle who binned them off. Also added the JA is 90% retired and didn't even know OC had been appointed and he doesn't rate him and thinks it will end in tears. He's right on the last bit again !

We still can't get away from the fact those crackpots in India are the source of the problem whoever else may or may not be involved !

I've asked him or someone or even JA to come on here but he said it's all too ridiculous. He's right on that.

Adamant that there are no direct links now with SEM and Coyle and it was Coyle who binned them off. Also added the JA is 90% retired and didn't even know OC had been appointed and he doesn't rate him and thinks it will end in tears. He's right on the last bit again !

We still can't get away from the fact those crackpots in India are the source of the problem whoever else may or may not be involved !

As I mentioned previously it looks like SEM winding down along with other Kentaro linked companies, so actual SEM involvement negligible even non existent in the appointment, as for individuals who were part of the Kentaro group who knows whose lurking in the shadows.

Wonder why Coyle binned them off and when.

Wonder why he didn't post that info on here

Surely no shame in being a Rovers supporter and taking the SEM coin especially if it was not Rovers related?

Would make a good Q and A

I have nothing against Owen Coyle as a person.

I have nothing against him for managing Burnley or for his very poor recent managerial record. There are lots of failed managers out there.

In terms of his potential to put a decent team together he is no worse than Slade, Hill, Hignet, Joyce etc.

However, his ties to SEM. Kentaro, Anderson make him the least suitable candidate on the planet.

Either Venky's are totally stupid, are still and have always been in cahoots with Anderson to use Rovers for their own gains or they enjoy playing with the fans' emotions and showing how powerful they are and how they do what they want.

Whatever the reason I'm convinced they will dump Rovers into obscurity within a couple of years.

I can see this being worse than the Kean saga and Rovers fans will once again get a bad press. They have us by the short and curlies but we can't give up.

Unite against Venky's - One day we will get our Rovers back.

With respect, the Bumley equivalents of RevidgeClaret, Parsonclaret, and chaddydingles.

That made me laugh, and there's not much of that on here anymore.

Anyway, if Coyle is going to build camaraderie through cakes, donuts, superman costumes, and potential team booze up's is not going to work.

Players today are schooled in discipline. If it drops they drop as they aren't mentally trained to do things for themselves. Managers have to run a tight ship. Let it slide and players take advantage; just like school kids.

Good luck to him as he'll need it. I am lucky though. I'm thousands of miles away and can ignore every bit of what will be another catastrophic appointment.

Archived