BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Article -> New Rovers Manager

this is possibly the script ending we'd have written had we been allowed to plan your last 5 years and very few Burnley fans will be other than delighted with this appointment.

With all due respect no Burnley fan I've ever met has the intelligence or creativity to conceive of such a way of ripping apart the club like the venkys have. Even if they had full control of the club. I take your point though. We must be the gift that keeps on giving more so than the success of your own club.

Ps cheers for the insider info even if you are loving it

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in peace.

You have my sympathy. Coyle had one gift at ours, to get a group of payers to buy his vision and be prepared to run through brick walls for him. He preached a doctrine of loyalty, togetherness, a sort of musketeers all for one ethos. Fans and players alike bought it and it created a momentum all its own. For a while we rode that wave - then he left how he did, he betrayed every player who signed for him and every player who'd turned down moves elsewhere. He'd preached a mantra of faithfulness, loyalty, if not only being about money - then almost bit Gartsides hand off when offered his 30 pieces.

Trouble is that kind of buy in was all he had. He had no tactics, it was all motivation. He could hardly look a player in the eye and talk about commitment and loyalty after that. Had he stayed until the end of the season his reputation would have been intact, the likely relegation not seen as anything down to him.

So can he succeed again? I doubt it but maybe with a group of younger players who are less aware of his duplicity who knows. My money would be on not but then again I do know he is capable of delivering something special so it's possible. Of course all that ignores his connections to us and his agent.

As Stuart (I think) put it, this is possibly the script ending we'd have written had we been allowed to plan your last 5 years and very few Burnley fans will be other than delighted with this appointment.

To quote a certain Mr Cohen "Thanks, but it didn't help at all..."

Here in peace.

You have my sympathy. Coyle had one gift at ours, to get a group of payers to buy his vision and be prepared to run through brick walls for him. He preached a doctrine of loyalty, togetherness, a sort of musketeers all for one ethos. Fans and players alike bought it and it created a momentum all its own. For a while we rode that wave - then he left how he did, he betrayed every player who signed for him and every player who'd turned down moves elsewhere. He'd preached a mantra of faithfulness, loyalty, if not only being about money - then almost bit Gartsides hand off when offered his 30 pieces.

Trouble is that kind of buy in was all he had. He had no tactics, it was all motivation. He could hardly look a player in the eye and talk about commitment and loyalty after that. Had he stayed until the end of the season his reputation would have been intact, the likely relegation not seen as anything down to him.

So can he succeed again? I doubt it but maybe with a group of younger players who are less aware of his duplicity who knows. My money would be on not but then again I do know he is capable of delivering something special so it's possible. Of course all that ignores his connections to us and his agent.

As Stuart (I think) put it, this is possibly the script ending we'd have written had we been allowed to plan your last 5 years and very few Burnley fans will be other than delighted with this appointment.

Top post matey! Good to have you back at least for the "banter".

OC should be nowhere near this club and that isn't based on his past Burnley links but his win ratio and where he has left the last three posts in acrimonious circumstances.

The OC household must be grinning tonight, he'd struggle to attract a league one club these days.

My dad still wants to go, so looks like I'll be renewing too, despite appointing this @#/? of a manager :/

You need to make a stand, your a grown man.

OC should be nowhere near this club and that isn't based on his past Burnley links but his win ratio and where he has left the last three posts in acrimonious circumstances.

The OC household must be grinning tonight, he'd struggle to attract a league one club these days.

My Dad has been involved in football for 50 years, and as I said a few days ago, he sees the best in most things.

Coyle has tipped him over the edge. He's not renewing, and that is a sizable shift.

Says it all.

I think you've made an important point here. Coyle had one power, once. Loyalty.

The fact that he has failed everywhere since suggests that he cannot play his one trick ever again, and all that is left is a manager-shaped shell.

That's the issue for me Stuart. Apart from Burnley he has failed to make an impression at his other clubs post his time at the Turf. Whelan soon saw his limitations and there is a damning piece on Fox Sports about his time in Houston. I hope he can succeed but the odds are surely stacked against him. A limited squad - in terms of numbers and ability - and a limited manager, working with a limited budget, doesn't really suggest anything but a season of struggle. At the moment I think I would be pleasantly surprised if he makes it until Christmas without being shown the door. I hope I'm wrong but, apart from Kean, I can't say I have ever felt less enthused about a managerial appointment at the club.

My Dad has been involved in football for 50 years, and as I said a few days ago, he sees the best in most things.

Coyle has tipped him over the edge. He's not renewing, and that is a sizable shift.

Says it all.

It's people like your old man who feel it more too. Tremendous amount of respect for the guy. 50 Years of football knowledge and he boycotts, says allot really.

I'm 26 now and my first game was when i was 10 with the old man who is Wigan, most seasons we've had ST's to share with us two and brothers when we cant go but we've got ourselves some wigan ones for next year.

#venkysout

Appreciate Longsiders input but after the first few sentences it just sounds like bitterness and not anything that's all that relevant to us. Coyle cashed his chips in at his peak, just like Moyes did at Preston. If he'd stayed at Burnley and gone back down, would any PL club have been as keen to come in for him? The other gripe Burnley fans have is that Bolton are barely a bigger club and were below them in the table. Well I think Rovers fans also underestimate the size of Bolton. Their catchment area and therefore potential fanbase is about double Rovers and Burnley, attendances-wise Rovers managed general parity with them in the PL but only by selling our tickets at about 2/3 the price they did. So I can understand it as a career step up from Coyle too. And lets face it, footballers aren't generally wise and knowledgeable sages when it comes to their footballing decisions. Their agents tell them what to do and they'd rather be listening to some rapper on their massive headphones than investigating how Coyle "betrayed" a former club.

The first few sentences, about him building a wave of togetherness and momentum as opposed to any strong tactical nouse, are very useful though. He sounds like the type of manager that needs everyone pulling in the same direction from day one to succeed. At Falkirk and St Johnstone he no doubt had it, they're small clubs and he was a former player of both. At Burnley he presumably had it after 3 uninspiring seasons under Cotterill. At Bolton and Wigan though I'm sure he was expected to deliver, one was a PL club and the other had money. And at Rovers he's walking into the very definition of a disunited club, all suggestions are he's gonna find it very tough.

Coyle is the symptom...the by-product. The disease is Venkys and everything they do to our Football Club.

When we get rid of Venkys we get rid of fellow-traveller Manager and anyone else leaching off the Club. RTID.

And there is a surprise that Stuart and Al are moaning about my posts and opinions. Actually no surprise at all

Not moaning. Just amusingly predictable. If Kean was reappointed it would be OK by you!

• Backroom

Mike has mentioned before his Dad isn't a well man and he wants to spend time with him doing things they enjoy

Full credit Mike

Not moaning. Just amusingly predictable. If Kean was reappointed it would be OK by you!

Still chance before the season starts, assistant manager? Head coach? I'm sure the witch and the half wits in Pune are planning their next infliction of misery

It's impossible to debate with him. He changes his mind so often.

The only surprise is that he hasn't yet quoted one of his own posts to argue with. Two days ago he was packing in, today - after the worst realistic outcome - he shrugs and says "ah well, best get on with it".

From Bowyer to Lambert to Coyle in less than a year. Depressing.

Depressing is right. If the 5 stages for grief are

Stage 1 shock

Stage 2 denial

Stage 3 anger

Stage 4 depression

Stage 5 acceptance.

I went thorough stage 1 yesterday evening when heard his name mentioned, stage 2 last night/this morning, stage 3 when it was confirmed and where I've spent most of the day, think may be in stage 4 now just more feelings of hopelessness. Stage 5 soon then. Can't wait.

Sorry Rev. I'm going to have to point out your idiocy every time you mention this crap from now on.

You are beginning to look very stupid indeed, Simon.

I'll say it slowly because you are clearly struggling with the whole concept.

This is the squad.

That Bowyer built.

Lambert was not allowed.

To change it.

He had 5 months

To reverse.

3.5 years of damage.

Plus 2 years of.

A novice manager.

Burning through.

The last of our parachute payments.

Now, which bit exactly do you not get?

Give it a rest Stuart, he had 5 months to START reversing several years of mismanagement but did nothing whatsoever about it, choosing to sign two players permanently we didn't really need in non priority positions five on loan or short term deals, sold one of our only decent permanently contract players on the last day of the window (against the owners wishes I'm led to beleve) then walked out.

He can't be blamed completely for the situation we find ourselves in regarding the squad but he's certainly contributed towards it.

As for your childish insults earlier directed towards me Chaddy and Parson, well maybe a diminishing number of us will still be there to see how Coyle goes on and may even still be there a short time later if he doesnt perform significantly better than both Bowyer and Lambert and gets the chop.

(Which I expect to be fair. I wouldn't pretend to make out its a good appointment. Just no worse than the other deadbeat linked to the post.)

Give it a rest Stuart,

Rich.

As I've said, you keep blaming Lambert and I'll keep pointing out the stupidity.

Chaddy and Parson can fight their own battles. Not sure how I've insulted Parson, and merely held up a mirror to you and chaddy.

Appreciate Longsiders input but after the first few sentences it just sounds like bitterness and not anything that's all that relevant to us. Coyle cashed his chips in at his peak, just like Moyes did at Preston. If he'd stayed at Burnley and gone back down, would any PL club have been as keen to come in for him? The other gripe Burnley fans have is that Bolton are barely a bigger club and were below them in the table. Well I think Rovers fans also underestimate the size of Bolton. Their catchment area and therefore potential fanbase is about double Rovers and Burnley, attendances-wise Rovers managed general parity with them in the PL but only by selling our tickets at about 2/3 the price they did. So I can understand it as a career step up from Coyle too. And lets face it, footballers aren't generally wise and knowledgeable sages when it comes to their footballing decisions. Their agents tell them what to do and they'd rather be listening to some rapper on their massive headphones than investigating how Coyle "betrayed" a former club.

The first few sentences, about him building a wave of togetherness and momentum as opposed to any strong tactical nouse, are very useful though. He sounds like the type of manager that needs everyone pulling in the same direction from day one to succeed. At Falkirk and St Johnstone he no doubt had it, they're small clubs and he was a former player of both. At Burnley he presumably had it after 3 uninspiring seasons under Cotterill. At Bolton and Wigan though I'm sure he was expected to deliver, one was a PL club and the other had money. And at Rovers he's walking into the very definition of a disunited club, all suggestions are he's gonna find it very tough.

That's how I see it. The Burnley fans absolutely loved him until he left them.

Coyle really has it all to do here. Very few fans rate him and his stock is pretty damn low. I think his die will be cast over the next two months. There's no emergency loan Windows and we have half a squad of poor players. He simply has to get quality in - and for starters he needs three strikers. Let's see what happens. Will he try for Graham to start with, or will we not even try?

Like I said, we'll know a lot more in the next few weeks.

FFS news of a petition calling for Coyles sacking is on the mirror website, no matter how angry people are everything has got to be aimed at Desai and the Rao's

Saw that earlier. This kind of reaction is what gets us bad press as it's easy for the pundits to back the manager. Who is David Gresty, does he post on here?

Archived