BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

Some glorious re-writing of history going on in this thread.

Quite a few of us where sticking up for Grant whilst a lot where calling him rotten.

Foolish to let Hanley go, but it appears that apart from being an experienced manager, being player of the year is the quickest exit ticket you can get at Ewood. As for the price, it won't be re-invested so, really who cares.

Hanley has improved over the last two years there's no doubt. He's gone from schoolyard bully to heart-on-sleeve defender. But in reality he's the best of a bad bunch.

If we could get over £5m then it's a no-brainer... at a normal bottom half of the table club. At VenkyRovers it just means another downgrade.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he was a liability for awhile and Bowyer refused to take him out of the firing line.

His improved performances have changed people's minds. What's up with that?

The periods he was getting a lot stick on here is when we had a centre midfield who melted away as soon as an opposition player decided to run at us, Henley at full-back etc.... It's pretty hard to look good when your working under those circumstances.

So no I disagree he was a liability, and people trying to say everyone said that at the time are wrong.

Nothing wrong with you changing your mind at all, glad you can see he's a good player, just don't try and say we all thought that way.

Hanley is 100% injured. Facetimed one of his best mates to tell him way before the bids from Newcastle bid.

Hanley is not injured. Rovers are bracing themselves for a new bid from Newcastle. There could be some prem teams interesting so this could drag on... Hanley wants to stay... But Rovers could get some cash .... Poor statement that he is injured though... This is strange coz alot of us wanted him sold last summer !

• Backroom

The periods he was getting a lot stick on here is when we had a centre midfield who melted away as soon as an opposition player decided to run at us, Henley at full-back etc.... It's pretty hard to look good when your working under those circumstances.

So no I disagree he was a liability, and people trying to say everyone said that at the time are wrong.

Nothing wrong with you changing your mind at all, glad you can see he's a good player, just don't try and say we all thought that way.

I was happy to drive him to his next club last summer. Shows how well he's done that I'm almost desperate for him to stay.

The eternal optimist in me says it's a story that shows we could be okay next season. Part of my teaching mantra is to give the chn room to surprise you in their work.

Despite it looking a bit doomy for us atmo, the addition of Graham and Stokes gives me a little reassurance that this season won't be all bad.

I'll guess midtable, about 10th-14th.

You get rid of Hanley it weakens the side, simple as that.

If you get rid of Duffy it weakens the side, simple as that.

If you get rid of Marshall it weakens the side, simple as that.

We may well have say £15m, but that goes nowhere near transfer fees I'd wager, and you can't replace those players with free transfers and hope to progress, not that the owners wants to progress, but thats the stark reality.

You get rid of Hanley it weakens the side, simple as that.

If you get rid of Duffy it weakens the side, simple as that.

If you get rid of Marshall it weakens the side, simple as that.

We may well have say £15m, but that goes nowhere near transfer fees I'd wager, and you can't replace those players with free transfers and hope to progress, not that the owners wants to progress, but thats the stark reality.

I have adopted the mindset that every player sale reduces the debt and therefore closer to the day they leave.

• Backroom

The issue is not really whether Hanley is a great or even a good player. I'd say he's simply a competent Championship CB, but regardless of how you rate his ability the one thing that is almost certain is that we will not improve on him should we sell him. If some people don't understand that after six years of the squad being systematically downgraded then they simply never will. It all stems from the owners and they only way this stops is if they go - and I'm afraid it will take a lot more than just attending or not attending. It would require a SOS type campaign which this fanbase is, imo, absolutely incapable of doing. Too much division, too many who have accepted this is our level and we just have to be happy with selling our best players and hiring the likes of Owen Coyle. That's just the way things are now, and I see no way for it to change.

I have adopted the mindset that every player sale reduces the debt and therefore closer to the day they leave.

I'm hoping they just sell every player asset we have and then crawl back under the rock if I'm honest.

But I don't get some posters advocating taking inflated transfer fees like they'll help the side somehow, I just don't see that.

I'm hoping they just sell every player asset we have and then crawl back under the rock if I'm honest.

But I don't get some posters advocating taking inflated transfer fees like they'll help the side somehow, I just don't see that.

No not at all. They have not sold one player and improved in that area since we have been here.

NOW who's being a revisionist? You can't blame individual errors and reckless sendings off on his teammates.

just don't try and say we all thought that way.

I never did.

NOW who's being a revisionist? You can't blame individual errors and reckless sendings off on his teammates.I never did.

By your definition then every player is a liability.

Hanley was regularly making costly mistakes. Therein lies the difference.

Hes been our best player for at least the past 2 seasons.

If the rest of the team had made as few individual errors as Grant, we may have actually reached the playoffs under GB.

• Backroom

Hes been our best player for at least the past 2 seasons.

If the rest of the team had made as few individual errors as Grant, we may have actually reached the playoffs under GB.

Disagree

Last season he was our best player but the season before he was among the worst if not out on his own as the worst.

He was simply woeful, sloppy, slow and ill disciplined

Disagree

Last season he was our best player but the season before he was among the worst if not out on his own as the worst.

He was simply woeful, sloppy, slow and ill disciplined

You're right Tom, we found out towards the end of that season that Hanley had been carrying an injury since just after Christmas, think he missed the last few games because of it.

If we could invest the Hanley money I'd get rid and bring in Blackett and Varela from UTD

Blackett is dreadful.

Will be in the bottom leagues in a couple of years. Varela is a player and a RB.

Bournemouth looking to loan out Tyrone Mings till Xmas.

Duffy to Wolves was on the internet earlier.

We have sold any player of worth every season.

Our debt has risen every season.

Venkys are still here.

The last 6 years have taught us when we sell a decent player he is replaced by somebody of lesser ability.

Hanley will go and the line will be 'Players like Scott Wharton have shown me enough in pre season to suggest they will soften the blow of Grant leaving. If this club is going to flourish we must push our youth players.'

If £8 is offered for Hanley, which I believe is the figure we want, then I'd take that. I'd expect us to spend about £3 from that figure.

Why not round it up and call it a tenner?

Archived