BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

Glad someone gets it davalsukur. It's the nature of development. Some make the grade by 24 like Hanley. Some at 16 like Rooney. Some at 28 like Varney. It's the commodity we're dealing with. Human beings.

This is my problem with the people who are on Duffy's back. The raw attributes are there and he's making strides. But because he's not made these at 16, 17 or 18 people are on his case.

Make no mistake, Rafael wouldn't be interested if there was nothing g to work with. Just as big Sam wouldn't be sniffing around Duffy if there wasn't potential. These are defensive minded coaches who excel.

I dont get this PV. You mention some people like Hanley making it at 24, some like Rooney making it at 16, yet you indicate that people are on Duffy's back, because he didnt make it at 16,17, or 18. He is making it now at his age, same as what Hanley is supposedly doing at his age.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont get this PV. You mention some people like Hanley making it at 24, some like Rooney making it at 16, yet you indicate that people are on Duffy's back, because he didnt make it at 16,17, or 18. He is making it now at his age, same as what Hanley is supposedly doing at his age.

I'm not sure what you're not getting icers. I'm a fan of Duffy. I don't care that it's taken him this long to develop. It's human nature that people hit their peaks at different ages. What I'm saying is sometimes it's best to trust those who know what they're talking about. I've heard people tearing strips off Duffy saying he would have made it by now if he was going to. Simply not true. Same as Hanley took this long to realise his potential. He had many detractors too. Yet he's now considered to be a key figure. The fact he's a key figure compared to the other star names we've lost over the years is the sad part. But it's indicative of where we are.

I'm not sure what you're not getting icers. I'm a fan of Duffy. I don't care that it's taken him this long to develop. It's human nature that people hit their peaks at different ages. What I'm saying is sometimes it's best to trust those who know what they're talking about. I've heard people tearing strips off Duffy saying he would have made it by now if he was going to. Simply not true. Same as Hanley took this long to realise his potential. He had many detractors too. Yet he's now considered to be a key figure. The fact he's a key figure compared to the other star names we've lost over the years is the sad part. But it's indicative of where we are.

No i get what you saying, and im a fan of Duffy myself. I understand the development part of things, but prior to last season, people couldnt wait to get rid of Hanley. And i agree with you, the same is happening to Duffy now. However, if a big bid came in for Hanley, imo its not the end of the world. We are not in a position right now to turn down good money it seems, or we are led to believe, so why are people moaning if he is sold? We will just have to fill another gap, something we have been doing for the last 6 years under Venkys.

No i get what you saying, and im a fan of Duffy myself. I understand the development part of things, but prior to last season, people couldnt wait to get rid of Hanley. And i agree with you, the same is happening to Duffy now. However, if a big bid came in for Hanley, imo its not the end of the world. We are not in a position right now to turn down good money it seems, or we are led to believe, so why are people moaning if he is sold? We will just have to fill another gap, something we have been doing for the last 6 years under Venkys.

In reality we won't reject it and we will sell. I think people are upset because if we had ambitions of promotion then we wouldn't. Or worse still, people accept he's off but know we won't see penny reinvested.

The issue surrounding Hanley and his standing amongst Rovers fans is almost secondary. Like him now or 12 months ago. He's our most saleable asset. What hurts is, like Rhodes and Rudy before him, he'll go and we'll be left with someone else's cast offs. If we're lucky.

And herein lies another puzzle. If it was the plan to sign cheap, develop and sell high then they sacked a man with a growing reputation for it. Bowyer. If the plan is to get promoted then Lambert was a great appointment. But then why not back him? Makes no sense. The most nonsensical thing to do was appoint someone who probably won't get us promoted and only has a history of developing other clubs youngsters. Only venkys could be faced with quandary as such and pluck a man capable of doing neither.

Hanley has matured as a player and that's the reason clubs are coming calling. He used to look bewildered on the ball and hoof it down the park aimlessly and his concentration was lacking. Last season he was awesome and commanded the team as best he could. There's no doubting his ability and it would be a huge loss if he was to go.

Hanley has matured as a player and that's the reason clubs are coming calling. He used to look bewildered on the ball and hoof it down the park aimlessly and his concentration was lacking. Last season he was awesome and commanded the team as best he could. There's no doubting his ability and it would be a huge loss if he was to go.

I cannot see us holding on to him - being left out tonight says it all. His departure would also be the signal to others like Marshall and Duffy that they ought to look to exit as it would demonstrate a lack of desire by the Club to keep the heart of the team - and the Club Captain - together. Its going to be a very long, painful haul to the start of the season

I cannot see us holding on to him - being left out tonight says it all. His departure would also be the signal to others like Marshall and Duffy that they ought to look to exit as it would demonstrate a lack of desire by the Club to keep the heart of the team - and the Club Captain - together. Its going to be a very long, painful haul to the start of the season

The bid has been rejected and apparently he does have a real knee injury. We can only wait and see although it does seem a bit convenient. Players always tend to 'pick up injuries' during a transfer bid.

I don't think Hanley going will start an exodus though but I'll keep all fingers and toes crossed.

I saw a bit of the emergence of Hanley and, obviously, he was very raw then. To be honest I didn't think he'd make it, he looked error prone and very uncomfortable on the ball. I saw him again a couple of years ago and again wasn't impressed but accept that he had a poor season and his imminent departure will be a big blow. I think we need to hang on to Duffy, if we don't then the owners simply must make any cash generated by his transfer available to Coyle.

From a very long distance we look OK with Duffy, Ward, Brown, Lenihan who can play centre back and the potential of the highly rated Wharton.

Anyone care to give an (informed) opinion on Hanleys wages? Been here since prem league, captain, international and renegotiated whilst nobodies where getting contracts för 10-15k/week...

I reckon 35ish mate. Which reflects what you've said but isn't as high as Rhodes, Murphy, Etuhu etc

Hanley really came of age under Paul Lambert who was the first club manager since Allardyce who could set a team up. He looked fitter and stronger than at any time of his career.

Anyone care to give an (informed) opinion on Hanleys wages? Been here since prem league, captain, international and renegotiated whilst nobodies where getting contracts för 10-15k/week...

. About 2 years ago a full breakdown of who earned what was leaked on here. Hanley and Lowe were on £16k I think. No new deal since then so probably just above that.

From today Sun on Sunday

Wolves hope to sign Shane Duffy if their Chinese billionaire takeover happens.

Ipswich come make a move for Elliott Bennett.

I Defo wouldn't sell Hanley AND Duffy btw...especially Duffy to Wolves who we should be aiming to compete with.

. About 2 years ago a full breakdown of who earned what was leaked on here. Hanley and Lowe were on £16k I think. No new deal since then so probably just above that.

Ok - thought he would be on more. Even easier if Newcastle offer 20k per week doubled on promotion.

That just leaves a fee to be agreed...

i have it on a reasonably reliable source that he is on £20k (around 5 million for his 5 year contract). He also picks up a watch worth £5k when he is man of the match.

I Defo wouldn't sell Hanley AND Duffy btw...especially Duffy to Wolves who we should be aiming to compete with.

Compete with ???

Since our glorious leaders came through the door , we have not competed !

It is a just slow and painful dismantling of the club ...

Running up millions in debt and civil war between fans !

Some glorious re-writing of history going on in this thread.

Quite a few of us where sticking up for Grant whilst a lot where calling him rotten.

Foolish to let Hanley go, but it appears that apart from being an experienced manager, being player of the year is the quickest exit ticket you can get at Ewood. As for the price, it won't be re-invested so, really who cares.

Some glorious re-writing of history going on in this thread.

Quite a few of us where sticking up for Grant whilst a lot where calling him rotten.

Well, he was a liability for awhile and Bowyer refused to take him out of the firing line.

His improved performances have changed people's minds. What's up with that?

Archived