BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what some people seem to be missing. Lambert's results on the pitch didn't warrant the money he may have demanded. It wasn't even as if it was a good style of play and unlucky results - the football was terrible.

We were heading in the right direction and looked like a team. Rug pulled under from his feet and tools were downed.

In all fairness Gav I not sure how you can extrapolate that given his distinctly underwhelming results for us last season.

Its all about opinions Yeti.

Lambert was only in the building just over 20wks, the side he inherited was heading to league 1.

He immediately brought in Irvine and Kelly, that alone was a major step forward, the playing side stayed up and it was all about the closed season and pushing on next.

That's what some people seem to be missing. Lambert's results on the pitch didn't warrant the money he may have demanded. It wasn't even as if it was a good style of play and unlucky results - the football was terrible.

....is he was only here for 20wks, what did anyone expect, promotion?

• Backroom

Lambert was only in the building just over 20wks, the side he inherited was heading to league 1.

He immediately brought in Irvine and Kelly, that alone was a major step forward, the playing side stayed up and it was all about the closed season and pushing on next.

....is was only here for 20wks, what did anyone expect, promotion?

Indeed. He had no pre-season to go on, a demoralised squad with some appalling players still in holiday camp mode, had to scrape together a decent team in January with practically no money to spend and had our top striker sold on the last day of that window. Seems like fair criteria to write him off on.

The point is Amarillo people would be up in arms whether we did spend 30M or fck all..

Well if the general feeling on here is that we wont be signing anyone else ,may as well shut this thread down.

Already 183 pages been trawled through ...for five? signings wtf.

The point is that Venkys have shafted us to a position where either spending or not spending is going to see us ruined. Not sure how this can be down to anything other than blaming the worst owners in football history. But hey, let's let them off because it's a no win situation - ignoring the fact they put us there.

The logical thing to do would be get in a manager with proven experience, and give him a decent-modest transfer budget as well full control of the football side of things, and see what he can achieve. We could still be stuffed, but it would be our best chance of success. I had hoped (why given Venkys previous is beyond me, a temporary lapse on my part) that it was going to happen under Lambert, but we're back to selling anyone of value with dodgy chancers as managers.

Fun times. But obviously Venkys are innocent in all this.

Certainly not, no. However I expected more. This is a manager that had a great playing career, did very well at Norwich and spent time watching the great managers of our time train during his time unemployed. At times our performances looked disjointed, as if our players didn't really know what system was being played. He vowed not to return to his days at Villa - where I watched his team play by the way and they were quite poor - yet his football resembled it. He refused to adapt his game to suit Rhodes, our best player. I didn't expect him to perform a miracle and I do appreciate the constraints he faced, however I don't think his time here warranted substantial financial backing. If it was my money I certainly wouldn't have thrown it at him having seen what I had.

Certainly not, no. However I expected more. This is a manager that had a great playing career, did very well at Norwich and spent time watching the great managers of our time train during his time unemployed. At times our performances looked disjointed, as if our players didn't really know what system was being played. He vowed not to return to his days at Villa - where I watched his team play by the way and they were quite poor - yet his football resembled it. He refused to adapt his game to suit Rhodes, our best player. I didn't expect him to perform a miracle and I do appreciate the constraints he faced, however I don't think his time here warranted substantial financial backing. If it was my money I certainly wouldn't have thrown it at him having seen what I had.

I expected more myself too.

However, having seen some absolutely shocking stuff under Hughes when he first came in and Souness for that matter, I think perhaps an immediate turn around was perhaps overly optimistic. The only manager I can think of who immediately made a difference after a poor manger in my lifetime was Allardyce. I guess you could say Hodgeson too, but he had a pre-season and it fizzled out as the season, and the next went on. Change doesn't seem all that immediate, from what I have seen.

I was Pleased with the Work Lambert and the way he got us playing as a team and better all round team.

Did I expect better results? Yes I did but he did put good foundations in place and this season was always going to be the big promotion push for Lambert if he got his plans approved.

I was expecting a top half finish from Lambert.

But now we have move on from Lambert and we have Coyle as manager. up to him to produce good results and performances now this coming season. we have a lower mid table squad now but expect a couple more signings that can get us into the top half/top 10 this season

I expected more myself too.

However, having seen some absolutely shocking stuff under Hughes when he first came in and Souness for that matter, I think perhaps an immediate turn around was perhaps overly optimistic. The only manager I can think of who immediately made a difference after a poor manger in my lifetime was Allardyce. I guess you could say Hodgeson too, but he had a pre-season and it fizzled out as the season, and the next went on. Change doesn't seem all that immediate, from what I have seen.

I think we all expected a change in fortunes under Big Sam though. He inherited a decent enough squad that was poorly managed from an inexperienced and vastly unprepared Paul Ince. I remember singing "We've got our Rovers back" when we were 3-0 up against Stoke in the first half...how I'd love to sing that again.

The reason I expected more was due to the talk of Lambert. I know it is every managers job to big up the team but he had lots of praise for the crop of players we had and had confidence in himself. That quickly disintegrated. It just seemed that the more the results went downhill the more sour he became in the press. Maybe I am looking at it wrongly but I just can't see any justification in backing him substantially.

Granted he got us playing as a unit defensively but apart from that there was nothing that really distinguished him from Gary Bowyer in my honest opinion.

Did you expect promotion?

I expected Lambert to keep us safe, which he did, and then use this summers transfer window to build.

Don't we usually give new managers 5 or 6 windows?

Lambert was lied to and put the escape clause in his contract because he didn't trust the owners from the start..and I don't blame him.

To expect even an experienced manager like Lamber to ''do it all'' in just 20 weeks is naive.

I hope Coyle exceeds my expectations which are currently rock bottom.

Back to the thread... Hanley will go for sure. The Club have named 6 million up front as the price, Toon have the cash so it's now up to them.

I expect Bling is instructing his minions to set up a celebratory bash in the hills of Pune...........git.

I never got the Lambert love-in. The football was dreadful and the results were not much better. He was a miserable sod too .Ah, that will explain why he was liked by some on here.

The confusing part of it all is that people seem to have decided to boycott on the back of Lambert walking. They put up with Kean, Appleton, Berg and Bowyer and 6 years of Venky's yet when when an equally average manager quits they all decide they've had enough. No logic. His record is about the same as Coyle's.

Did you expect promotion?

I expected Lambert to keep us safe, which he did, and then use this summers transfer window to build.

Don't we usually give new managers 5 or 6 windows?

Lambert was lied to and put the escape clause in his contract because he didn't trust the owners from the start..and I don't blame him.

To expect even an experienced manager like Lamber to ''do it all'' in just 20 weeks is naive.

I hope Coyle exceeds my expectations which are currently rock bottom.

Back to the thread... Hanley will go for sure. The Club have named 6 million up front as the price, Toon have the cash so it's now up to them.

I expect Bling is instructing his minions to set up a celebratory bash in the hills of Pune...........git.

I never expected that, no. I think a lot of people jump to their own conclusions when they see criticism of Lambert. I just expected more. As said, had it been my money, it wouldn't have gone to him on the basis of what I had seen. Likewise, however, I wouldn't have employed Coyle. But all of this just points towards what we already know: nothing quite makes sense at Ewood Park anymore.

Rovers after Tyler Blackett?

http://the72.co.uk/60271/championship-duo-manutd-loan/

I never expected that, no. I think a lot of people jump to their own conclusions when they see criticism of Lambert. I just expected more. As said, had it been my money, it wouldn't have gone to him on the basis of what I had seen. Likewise, however, I wouldn't have employed Coyle. But all of this just points towards what we already know: nothing quite makes sense at Ewood Park anymore.

Well we are singing from the same hymn sheet on that.

the club haven't named any price to Newcastle

the northern echo article is wrong according to Nixon

I will take it as true then, think a reporter close to the club (Newcastle) might be a bit more on the ball rather than gazing into a crystal one.

I will take it as true then, think a reporter close to the club (Newcastle) might be a bit more on the ball rather than gazing into a crystal one.

and we have Journalist who is very good friends with Coyle and will talk to his on a regular basis

I don't think the Echo named a price, just that it would have to be at least £6m plus add-ons. Seems reasonable.

Do you think Hanley will go Chaddy?

I don't know to be honest. its all down to Newcastle to put that meets his valuation or move on.

Just ask Nicko whether they have been a 3rd bid from Newcastle and his response was no

I would rather keep Hanley unless we are going to use the money to improve the overall quality of the squad.

Wonder who Coyle would look at to replace Hanley? Maybe Baker from Villa or Morrison from Cardiff. Not easy to bring in a quality of Hanley Standard.

Then you know we won't, because recent history suggests the money goes to La La land.

But we definitely aren't being asset stripped and the debt isn't increasing, incase you were worried.

Some fans live in Cuckoo Cuckoo by that logic, Rotherham should throw 30m at it as by spending that they are guaranteed to get to the EPL. This endless debate as to whether cash helps in the championship isn't always true. If it was that simple everyone would be doing it. 30m would be useful with the right team and structure, and management in place. In this day an age throwing 30M at our club is pure stupidity.

It is if it's Venkys are spending it. Which is why we need to get off our collective arses and do something to get them out.

We need people in charge with some gumption before we start debating chucking money at it.

Only then will we move forward, because Venkys are fecking curse on this Club.

King Alan Of Chadwick

Must be true then

Rovers haven't set a price so the Northern Echo article is wrong.

Fact ?

Not my source Jal tho

Ha so you are now in the know or is YOUR source the fat haggis ?

King Alan Of Chadwick

Must be true then

Fact ?

Ha so you are now in the know or is YOUR source the fat haggis ?

Just cant leave me alone Abbey as per usual.

Nothing to add the debate yet again. Just more insults towards me/members yet again.

• Moderation Lead

I never got the Lambert love-in. The football was dreadful and the results were not much better. He was a miserable sod too .Ah, that will explain why he was liked by some on here.

The confusing part of it all is that people seem to have decided to boycott on the back of Lambert walking. They put up with Kean, Appleton, Berg and Bowyer and 6 years of Venky's yet when when an equally average manager quits they all decide they've had enough. No logic. His record is about the same as Coyle's.

Lambert 2 promotions, 0 relegations.

Coyle- 1 promotion, 1 relegation.

Lambert was barely given a chance before it became clear Venky's weren't communicating with him, their employee and he tried to make them get their act together and got blamed by the fans. Sounds about right.

Anyhow, this debate has been done to death and I'm bored of it.

Archived