BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a right or wrong here. Anybody supporting any terrorist organization of any type, deserves to be morally questioned and I, for one, will now not be happy if he signs.

I think the question is this:

If it was Joey Barton who was close to joining the club, even with his Burnley past, would the same alarm bells be ringing? Would his criminal background be a problem? Would him being employed by the club cause people to question their future support?

If not then why not?

What has Stokes done in his life that makes him worse than Barton?

Barton joins Burnley and his past is immediately forgotten. He's an inspired signing, plays a big role in their promotion, Dyche is a genius, etc. etc. Yet Stokes is linked with Rovers and his past actions are a major issue and enough to lead some to question their support of the club. Why?

I don't know of any Burnley supporters that refused to go to Turf Moor last season and refused to take their kids because they didn't want Barton as a 'role model'.

Again, not saying Stokes' views are right or good, I'm just interested to know what makes him different to an ex-convict who battered a teenager in public.

Poppy on the the shirt in November could be interesting!!!!!

I bet he refuses to wear it, Celtic never wear poppies, so it wasn't an issue for him there.

I know a Rovers fan that was deeply affected by the Warrington bombing in early 90's, can't imagine how he's feeling about the prospect of signing Stokes.

If it was Joey Barton who was close to joining the club, even with his Burnley past, would the same alarm bells be ringing? Would his criminal background be a problem? Would him being employed by the club cause people to question their future support?

If not then why not?

Barton joins Burnley and his past is immediately forgotten. He's an inspired signing, plays a big role in their promotion, Dyche is a genius, etc. etc. Yet Stokes is linked with Rovers and his past actions are a major issue and enough to lead some to question their support of the club. Why?

I don't know of any Burnley supporters that refused to go to Turf Moor last season and refused to take their kids because they didn't want Barton as a 'role model'.

Again, not saying Stokes' views are right or good, I'm just interested to know what makes him different to an ex-convict who battered a teenager in public.

Big difference is that Barton has not to my knowledge openly supported a terrorist organisation which has been responsible for the thousands of deaths.

Like I said earlier it is moral issue, for some they can look past this and accept him, whole other cannot.

Big difference is that Barton has not to my knowledge openly supported a terrorist organisation which has been responsible for the thousands of deaths.

Like I said earlier it is moral issue, for some they can look past this and accept him, whole other cannot.

I can't believe you had to explain that one to be honest.....lordy lordy.

IF Stokes AND Graham pen permanent deals in the near future I will be pleased, as a starting point, with that business.

However, I still have a sneaky feeling that we are being taken for fools here.

I think that the plan is that Coyle's rebuild will be funded by offloading one or more of Marshall, Duffy and Hanley this summer. I think Venkys and the club fully intend to do this and anticipating a multi-million pound windfall from them is what is allowing Coyle to line up numerous deals at the moment.

They daren't sell anyone at this early stage, partly because of the message it would send to people considering renewing season tickets, and also because we've only got 13 players left after the recent departures and selling more at this point would raise eyebrows.

They will no doubt sanction 5-8 signings, mainly free agents and loans, for Coyle to build 'his squad' and fill up on numbers.

The likes of Stokes and Graham are decent options and most supporters will like that calibre of signing and a few like that will no doubt encourage a few more to renew and look forward to the new season.

Then, once the renewals are over and done with (no doubt much less sold than in previous years), and the squad is looking healthier on numbers than its current threadbare state, we will be waving goodbye to one or two of the above. That way the cost of Owen's overhaul, new contracts, loan fees and signing on fees is covered with interest. The club will be able to pocket the money as most of the business will have been done already and will be in less urgent need of numerous signings, before a free agent or loan arrives to fill the void.

That's my prediction.

My views exactly. Give with one hand, take with the other.

As for Stokes' IRA sympathies. If he is that way inclined, and further down the road than that cockwit McLean, then he can stay in Scotland. Just because he's white, it wouldn't make it better than idiots like Abu Hamza or Anjem Choudary. Advocating murder, and funding it's execution is all the same.

It appears the charge sheet is keeping the wrong Company and not being a role model.

How many footballers would that eliminate from the game?

Fair play to Kamy for his opinion and stance but think many players have debatable moral compasses.

For Me - right type of signing footballwise but PR Wise not great.

If not then why not?

Barton has been a "thug" Stokes openly supports a terrorist organisation and you are incapable of differentiating between the two? Seriously? You need the difference spoon fed to you?

Yet Barton could easily have caused death by his own hands by battering a teenager in a savage attack. He could also very easily have blinded Jamie Tandy when stubbing a cigar in his eye.

I understand its a moral issue, I just don't see that much of a difference and don't understand why the prospect of Stokes is so abhorrent and yet Burnley signing an ex-convict is a masterstroke.

Actually, Barton said on Twitter a few years ago that he had sympathy with the Provisional IRA and would have joined had he been a Catholic in 1970's Belfast. He hasn't gone as far as Stokes, but he's had his opinion on it (like he does on everything).

Now, there's a pretty big difference between the Provisional IRA and the Real IRA, given that the latter want to continue the 'war' even after the Good Friday Agreement and the agreement of peace there.

It's not really a discussion for the board, but I think comparing them to ISIS isn't really an apt comparison - the situation in NI was crazy and their society was/is so polarized.

Then again, Stokes is from Dublin and being linked to dissident Republicans is alarming. The vast majority of Northern Ireland (of all political persuasions) find groups like the RIRA abhorrent, with very little support amongst their communities (the same communities who supported the IRA in previous guises).

Any groups (Republican or Loyalist) who seemingly want to return NI to the horror of the Troubles have to be heavily criticised, and Stokes' friendship with some of these shady characters is a blight on him.

Hope Duffy keeps his phone away from stokes if he does arrive, or he might be apologising for another "up the RA" tweet

If Stokes does arrive anybody else fancing chipping in to sponsor him ,form a consortium called NO SURRENDER or Warrington 93 or Manchester 96

It wasn't me that did it, but I'd guess that it was because it was felt that loads of other posters would jump on it and start another argument. The likes of which we didn't want to see again really as they dominate threads etc.

mine removed .....thou shalt not question Nixon..buggers belief it really does.

• Moderation Lead

mine removed .....thou shalt not question Nixon..buggers belief it really does.

Course you can question Nixon, I've been one of his most vocal critics on here!

Barton has been a "thug" Stokes openly supports a terrorist organisation and you are incapable of differentiating between the two? Seriously? You need the difference spoon fed to you?

Has Stokes ever beaten a kid senseless in the street, spent time in jail whilst employed as a footballer or almost blinded a team-mate?

If Stokes openly supports a terrorist organisation then of course that's not good and the club should be investigating this before offering him a deal. But now it seems Barton's past crimes are perfectly acceptable if Burnley or Rangers are signing him. Lets forget his ex-convict status because he's turned over a new leaf and yet Stokes' past views should immediately prevent him coming here. Can he not have the same opportunity at a fresh start as Barton has had?

Yet Barton could easily have caused death by his own hands by battering a teenager in a savage attack. He could also very easily have blinded Jamie Tandy when stubbing a cigar in his eye.

I understand its a moral issue, I just don't see that much of a difference and don't understand why the prospect of Stokes is so abhorrent and yet Burnley signing an ex-convict is a masterstroke.

He didn't though did he? Saying 'what if' is just conjecture.

And Of course its different! Barton is a scummy bell end, but as far as I'm aware doesn't actively support a terrorist organisation.

I dislike Barton, but this is differing on almost every level.

Probably needs a separate thread chaps as this is going to rumble on.

Has Stokes ever beaten a kid senseless in the street, spent time in jail whilst employed as a footballer or almost blinded a team-mate?

If Stokes openly supports a terrorist organisation then of course that's not good and the club should be investigating this before offering him a deal. But now it seems Barton's past crimes are perfectly acceptable if Burnley or Rangers are signing him. Lets forget his ex-convict status because he's turned over a new leaf and yet Stokes' past views should immediately prevent him coming here. Can he not have the same opportunity at a fresh start as Barton has had?

So wide of the mark JH.

My views exactly. Give with one hand, take with the other.

As for Stokes' IRA sympathies. If he is that way inclined, and further down the road than that cockwit McLean, then he can stay in Scotland. Just because he's white, it wouldn't make it better than idiots like Abu Hamza or Anjem Choudary. Advocating murder, and funding it's execution is all the same.

I am inclined to disagree on McLean, to an extent. I think he's a bit of a nob, but the open letter he wrote explaining his stance on the poppy issue was a good one and made it more understandable: http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/14-11-07-statement-regarding-james-mcclean-2070059.aspx

His turning away during the national anthem was petty and stupid, but he's not said anything to suggest he sympathises with the IRA - he's only ever said he sympathises with the people who lived locally who died during the Troubles.

Unlike Stokes, he has never attended events that suggest support for one of these groups. I don't think the two should be compared really, as Stokes' conduct and the company he keeps is much more shady and 'dodgy' than McLean.

The Stokes story has been around for years. However, has he ever openly supported the IRA beyond attending his pal's memorial event? That's not something I'll be googling at work any time soon as I value my job but I'd be surprised if he was still on Celtic and Hibs' payroll fully 3 years after those stories hit the news if there was even a shred of evidence of it. Lennon was Celtic boss at the time and he would have run him out of town.

He undoubtedly grew up in that sort of environment though, his old man is allegedly quite a piece of work.

Nicko on striker targets

Lot of work been done. Picture much clearer. Once one striker done rest easier to fit in.

Spoken to five of the six strikers. Get first. Rest falls into place.

Nicko on loan player

If u knew all the things u have to do even in a loan deal... It's scary.

Loan lad will sign when back off his holiday. Midweek. All else done on that. Striker front moving on. Expect one by weekend.

Hope this really help Mani what you asked me.

Can you not see that is basically vague nonsense. It's like going to a fortune teller.

Good catch Kamy. Check this out.http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?251689-Tom-English-on-Anthony-Stokes

Alternatively, just google 'Anthony Stokes IRA'...

I think the part of the article where it says he was born into it may be significant. It must be very difficult to, if not dangerous to self, to try to pull away from that situation.

Imagine being born into a 'gangster family' - takes a lot of courage to say I don't want to be a part of that.

How do you escape from such a situation.

If there was an issue, would the FA step in - debatable, but possible.

Archived