BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer/discussion Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course Jordan and Rudy were great players for Rovers but they didn't really click together. Rudy was an absolut beast in the air and Jordan had a nose infront of goal. But their chemistry wasn't magical at all and that's why I think they didn't click. If Jordan had a little bit pace they could have been far more dangerous. That's why totally rejecting of King did not make sense and after seeing his displays for Bournemouth it's even more hard to understand Bowyer's thoughts.

Celtic (and Hibs for that matter) often use him on the leftbut he can play down the middle as well. He's deceptive. Looks a bit one paced but has a very good football brain on him that gives him a yard of space. He's a decent finisher and also puts a good cross in - he's not the worst header of a ball either. As others have said, its difficult to judge him as he's played up here for a few years now, but in terms of value for money, if he clicks he will provide that for us. All in all I think it is a decent signing. He's a much better player than Goodwillie ever was, Stokes has done it for a few seasons now. He's a stroppy bugger though (allegedly), and Celtic couldn't cope with two of them at the same time (Griffiths being the other)

Thanks, sounds like he'd compliment Graham then...

According to the LT Coyle wants 2 up top with pace out wide

Exactly what Bowyer wanted, struggled with the wide men though and midfield and defence, simply couldn't bring in enough quality on a shoe string budget, will Coyle be any different?

I'm struggling to get enthused about the new season for reasons already on here by various posters.

We'll see what sort of squad we've got in a few weeks time.

Stokes would be a reasonable start, if Graham comes in, great, but still leaves us well short at full-back and in the middle of the park.

I will reserve any excitement...

So we are now at a situation where we can post what Nixon says but can't dispute or rebute it else the post gets removed.

All I did was point out (mockingly towards Nixon) how vague and non-committal his 'comments' were and how he had been off target over the last 7 days with what he said was going to happen.

Any mod going to explain why that's removed? ( first post I've had vanish since the night of the Amorouso / chuck Norris jokes)

• Moderation Lead

So we are now at a situation where we can post what Nixon says but can't dispute or rebute it else the post gets removed.

All I did was point out (mockingly towards Nixon) how vague and non-committal his 'comments' were and how he had been off target over the last 7 days with what he said was going to happen.

Any mod going to explain why that's removed? ( first post I've had vanish since the night of the Amorouso / chuck Norris jokes)

It wasn't me that did it, but I'd guess that it was because it was felt that loads of other posters would jump on it and start another argument. The likes of which we didn't want to see again really as they dominate threads etc.

We need more than Graham and Stokes. Last season we had Rhodes, Graham, Brown, Delfouneso and Jackson all used to varying degrees. The latter 3 of those were nowhere near good enough for the Championship and that's why we struggled, as we relied almost solely on Rhodes up to January and then Graham after that to provide goals.

If Coyle is planning on playing 2 up front every week, fine, but for me we would need at least 4 recognised capable strikers to do that. Going into the season with only 2 or 3 and then expecting to get through 46 games, injuries, fatigue, suspensions and losses of form that WILL happen at some stage would be suicidal.

2 players for every position. 2 strikers on the pitch = 2 back up strikers needed who can challenge them for a starting position and come into the team and do a job when needed.

Brown, Delfouneso and Jackson couldn't challenge Rhodes/Graham, and rarely did a job when given an opportunity, and that's why we were so over-reliant on goals from Rhodes and Graham last season and why when they hit barren spells our form was relegation level.

IF Stokes AND Graham pen permanent deals in the near future I will be pleased, as a starting point, with that business.

However, I still have a sneaky feeling that we are being taken for fools here.

I think that the plan is that Coyle's rebuild will be funded by offloading one or more of Marshall, Duffy and Hanley this summer. I think Venkys and the club fully intend to do this and anticipating a multi-million pound windfall from them is what is allowing Coyle to line up numerous deals at the moment.

They daren't sell anyone at this early stage, partly because of the message it would send to people considering renewing season tickets, and also because we've only got 13 players left after the recent departures and selling more at this point would raise eyebrows.

They will no doubt sanction 5-8 signings, mainly free agents and loans, for Coyle to build 'his squad' and fill up on numbers.

The likes of Stokes and Graham are decent options and most supporters will like that calibre of signing and a few like that will no doubt encourage a few more to renew and look forward to the new season.

Then, once the renewals are over and done with (no doubt much less sold than in previous years), and the squad is looking healthier on numbers than its current threadbare state, we will be waving goodbye to one or two of the above. That way the cost of Owen's overhaul, new contracts, loan fees and signing on fees is covered with interest. The club will be able to pocket the money as most of the business will have been done already and will be in less urgent need of numerous signings, before a free agent or loan arrives to fill the void.

That's my prediction.

I'm hesitant to properly give an opinion on Stokes because I never rated Graham and said so on here haha, but...

He's a good player, not a lone striker but can link the play very well and provide assists as well as goals.

It's his attitude, along with the fact he wasn't good enough for Europe, that is the reason Celtic are letting him go.

That's my main worry, bit of a moody sod. I don't know, him and Hooper together were excellent and him and Graham could easily replicate that.

We are not there yet ;)

I was thinking that signing Stokes would be decent until Jim Wilkinson pointed out to me on Twitter his support of the IRA. Spent an hour or so doing some research and reading up on what he has said and done. Now am deeply uncomfortable about signing this chap, it is clear that he was/is a sympathiser and has even attended events. Sometimes you have to put football to one side and look at the wider context. Similar to how we would all feel if Rovers suddenly decided to sign an ISIS supporter.

This is not the type of people I want our club to be associated with. I am sure that others feel differently and that is fair enough.

I was thinking that signing Stokes would be decent until Jim Wilkinson pointed out to me on Twitter his support of the IRA. Spent an hour or so doing some research and reading up on what he has said and done. Now am deeply uncomfortable about signing this chap, it is clear that he was/is a sympathiser and has even attended events. Sometimes you have to put football to one side and look at the wider context. Similar to how we would all feel if Rovers suddenly decided to sign an ISIS supporter.

This is not the type of people I want our club to be associated with. I am sure that others feel differently and that is fair enough.

He's a staunch IRA supporter as well Kamy, not just sympathetic to the cause, but involved in 'events' as you say.

I was going to post this last week, but decided not to bother as it wasn't worth the hassle, so good luck with that one :tu:

He's a staunch IRA supporter as well Kamy, not just sympathetic to the cause, but involved in 'events' as you say.

I was going to post this last week, but decided not to bother as it wasn't worth the hassle, so good luck with that one :tu:

Why why why must these things happen to us. Why not to the Dingles. Urgh, we are cursed by the Venkys

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

As far as I am concerned Joey Barton's charge sheet is much worse, yet I'm sure there would be scenes of jubilation if we signed him. Someone who had spent time in prison, battered a teenager in the street and stubbed a cigar in a team-mates eye, among other things, whilst claiming a good wage as a 'professional' footballer.

Not saying Stokes' views are good or acceptable. I don't know anything about him. But personally I'd prefer him to a thug like Barton.

• Backroom

Not sure about this one, morally it seems abhorrent and would be a terrible role model for kids - but we need someone to stick the ball in the net and he could be that man.

Poppy on the the shirt in November could be interesting!!!!!

I think that this is the argument Tom.

For some the moral issues matter more than the footballing issues (I am very much in this camp).

However for others they are able to put the moral issues to one side and focus solely on footballing issues and accept him as a signing.

As the moral issues for me are far more important I will have to seriously question whether I want to put my money into the club if they employ such a person.

There is no "right" or "wrong" answer here, it is simply a question of whether Moral or Footballing issues are more important to an individual.

Archived