BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Arsenal are looking to loan Wilshere out, perhaps he'd like a lovely season long spell under his former mentor Owen Coyle.

Wow 5 pages of tripe and then the last post something about transfers,keep it on topic please

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That'll be up to Marshall though must be a good chance that he will go for nothing at the end of his contract and Venkys(not the Club) will lose a million or two. He certainly won't be playing in the third tier!

And I'll always remember Kean's comment when we were finally relegated after he said all season we would not be:

"We made a good fist of it."

If ever a man needed a good fisting,Coco was the man.

Yet some were saying he was our best midfielder (against Crewe) and must start.

But of a strange on that though, he's hardly a bit part player. Wages off the books? Another permanent player out of the squad?

I saw this in the telewag,and it seems very strange,why play him on sat when he could have been more seriously injured than he was?the club is a complete shambles

There's only one reason mate. That's to put him in the shop window. But it doesn't say much about our ambitions to actually win the match!

Large Asian betting syndicates amongst wealthy people and their friends and families perhaps ?

Regardless, someone needs to stand the bet and no-one is standing "Next Manager" markets for the kind of money we are talking about.

You phone up a bookies and try and have £500 on a realistic 33/1 shot in a next manager market. They'll let you have £50 tops.

Coyle obviously has targets he wants to bring in but Cheston's salary spreadsheet must be spitting out negative numbers so he's been told it's one out, one in.

I thought it was odd how he was suddenly starting such a crucial game on Saturday. Prior to that it had been months and months since he even featured for the first team in a league match. Did he ever even appear when Lambert was manager?

When he was on the team sheet on Saturday I thought that it was unusual, and now we know there was an additional motive behind it. The club and manager would never confess to such a scheme, but unfortunately for them Guthrie has let the cat out of the bag with his interview.

So it appears that the motivation behind the team selection for crucial league games now revolves around putting certain players in the shop window with a view to someone coming in before the deadline and offering to sign them or take them on loan. How many others are in the same position? Duffy was almost certainly another one - played in the first team in games despite not being mentally right to do so, but the club had a sale to conclude and needed to keep him in the shop window, even if that meant a calamity like we saw at Cardiff.

What do the new players think when a slot in the starting line up is being occupied by a player that the club is actively attempting to sell whilst they have to sit on the bench and the club flounders at the bottom of the league.

Undoubtedly this is all part of the strategy at the club. Guthrie is probably on £10k a week and has done very little due to his fitness issues, so Cheston sees an opportunity to get rid of him and probably bring in a £5k player who can play every week instead.

Only problem is nobody is going to make an offer for Guthrie if he isn't playing or hasn't played recently for Rovers, so into the team he goes, hopefully to play well and catch a scout's eye.

Blackburn Rovers 2016. The question is how many others are in the same boat - knowing that the club wants rid of them and only being selected with a view to someone signing them rather than for the best for BRFC? He won't be the only one, that's for sure.

When he was on the team sheet on Saturday I thought that it was unusual, and now we know there was an additional motive behind it. The club and manager would never confess to such a scheme, but unfortunately for them Guthrie has let the cat out of the bag with his interview.

Which bit did he say he was only playing to help him leave the club - I read the bit about Coyle having told the players that if you play well you keep the shirt - and by all accounts he played well against Crewe.

I wouldn't have played him - and Saturday proved what I have always thought about Guthrie - his lack of tracking back is unbelievable, and he doesn't have the skill to make up for that lack of work rate. Having said that - I did think he was unlucky to go off - as he was neck and neck with Lowe in the competition to see who could give the ball away most when not under any pressure.

Now whilst I don't rate Guthrie it seems a little strange to me that he starts to get involved in the team, and then is told he can go.

What's the point of getting him involved in things if you want rid of him. Or if you decide he's the best option we have, why tell him he can go? Either way it shows the clueless nature of those running the show.

Which bit did he say he was only playing to help him leave the club - I read the bit about Coyle having told the players that if you play well you keep the shirt - and by all accounts he played well against Crewe.

I wouldn't have played him - and Saturday proved what I have always thought about Guthrie - his lack of tracking back is unbelievable, and he doesn't have the skill to make up for that lack of work rate. Having said that - I did think he was unlucky to go off - as he was neck and neck with Lowe in the competition to see who could give the ball away most when not under any pressure.

Do you take everything in life that's said literally or do you never read between the lines.

Just look at the Evans situation, get him fit wrap him in cotton wool then send him ready to play International game where he was last seen playing quite well. Untarnished by the clubs position because he's been out and slap bang in a great shop window situation.

An absolute charade.

He said that he has been told that he is free to leave, whether that's on loan or a permanent transfer. I'm afraid that I simply don't believe in coincidences any more. It was a surprise to see him suddenly starting the game against Fulham. The last league game he had started before Saturday was by my reckoning away at Bolton in December last year. Since then he has had major fitness issues and only made about 2 appearances off the bench. To suddenly throw him into a starting position in such a massive game against Fulham ahead of numerous players that have played much more regularly and recently than he has was a huge call.

This club and the people working for it have developed the habit of pushing players out of the door for financial reasons or other factors other than their footballing ability over the last 12 months. See Cairney, Hanley, Duffy and now Marshall.

If Guthrie is part of the managers plans and is deemed good enough to be starting such a crucial game as on Saturday, then why is he being told that he can leave the club?

If he isn't part of the managers plans or isn't deemed good enough or fit enough then why is he starting such a massive game ahead of people the manager has recently signed?

All sorts of mischief going on in the background at this club. Presumably Guthrie is next on 'the list' after Marshall as a wage to get off the books before Coyle can even consider signing any more.

Do you take everything in life that's said literally or do you never read between the lines.

My view has always been that there is too much "reading between the lines" - and when these "assumptions" have been proven incorrect it has weakened the case against the Venky's. Especially in the early days when there were some wonderful stories doing the rounds - every true story got lost under more conspiracy theories than the x-files.

Guthrie playing at the weekend - we already have a weakened midfield - especially with Evans out - so Guthrie represented possibly our only experienced midfield player that can supposedly pick a pass. It's a bit like comments about Lowe being picked to put him in the shop window - when (with Marshall playing further forward) he is the only experienced player we could play there.

We've gone from asset stripping (but not asset stripping....) to spread betting on managers, and now we are onto paranoid suggestions about team being picked to sell players? Managers will make their own decisions. See this as defending Coyle (if you are insanely childish), but its just the reality. The article doesn't say "they told me I could go then said play well here so we can flog you". It essentially says he was "not needed" but got a chance after getting on the pitch after a few injuries and poor performances - against Crewe, and to be honest thats the way it should be! Suggesting we haven't played Evans to "wrap in cotton", "show off at international" and then sell him? But doing the opposite with Marshall and Duffy, ie playing them is an attempt to do the same thing? Come of it lads, ridiculous. Get the story straight.

As JHR points out - hes not played for ages, theres no way he is in front of Akpan, Lenihan, Evans and now Byrne. Common sense says get rid if you can. Why take this as an example of "mischief" when the reality is pretty stark?

Do you not think a few others may have be told the same under Lambert? I do.

If we think back to when Guthrie came it was said he was on 15k pwk at Reading but we obviously couldn't pay that because of the embargo. Some talking went on and we then signed him so we probably owe him a pay rise or back pay now.

Not sure he was ever worth that kind of wages to us but we are desperate now and if he's fit he offers something imo.

We've gone from asset stripping (but not asset stripping....) to spread betting on managers, and now we are onto paranoid suggestions about team being picked to sell players? Managers will make their own decisions. See this as defending Coyle (if you are insanely childish), but its just the reality. The article doesn't say "they told me I could go then said play well here so we can flog you". It essentially says he was "not needed" but got a chance after getting on the pitch after a few injuries and poor performances - against Crewe, and to be honest thats the way it should be! Suggesting we haven't played Evans to "wrap in cotton", "show off at international" and then sell him? But doing the opposite with Marshall and Duffy, ie playing them is an attempt to do the same thing? Come of it lads, ridiculous. Get the story straight.

As JHR points out - hes not played for ages, theres no way he is in front of Akpan, Lenihan, Evans and now Byrne. Common sense says get rid if you can. Why take this as an example of "mischief" when the reality is pretty stark?

We have gone from mid table PL security with little debt to over 100 million debt and bottom of the second. We have created a few millionaires on the way as well. No one needs read between the lines on that

We have gone from mid table PL security with little debt to over 100 million debt and bottom of the second. We have created a few millionaires on the way as well. No one needs read between the lines on that

Yea I know but what's that got to do with the scandal of playing Guthrie after he's been told he can leave for free?

He said that he has been told that he is free to leave, whether that's on loan or a permanent transfer. I'm afraid that I simply don't believe in coincidences any more. It was a surprise to see him suddenly starting the game against Fulham. The last league game he had started before Saturday was by my reckoning away at Bolton in December last year. Since then he has had major fitness issues and only made about 2 appearances off the bench. To suddenly throw him into a starting position in such a massive game against Fulham ahead of numerous players that have played much more regularly and recently than he has was a huge call.

If he isn't part of the managers plans or isn't deemed good enough or fit enough then why is he starting such a massive game ahead of people the manager has recently signed?

Completely agree - I imagine Guthrie's agent was told he could leave a good while back , the publication of his availability in the recent Telegraph piece is merely a last gasp effort to get his name broadcast as the transfer deadline approaches.

Do we build up any hope anyone will take him? ..............nope. Look at the comments above, routinely injured, doesn't tackle back, best years well behind him and only started 2 games in 8 months or so - I simply can't see much of a queue forming for his services.

The current difference to previous managerial regimes is that it now appears we cant afford to [or just won't] bin the deadwood by paying up their contracts, we're lumbered with Guthrie and Akpan because Bowyer was allowed to sign them on a free [when coincidentally there wasn't a queue for them either ]. I dont like Coyle or think that he's any good, but its wrong to pan him for taking steps to try to get rid of guys who are a waste of a wage.

Archived