BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Open Floor Meeting To Unite The Fans

pk1875

I know what you are getting at and I can see that point of view it's just, whilst I might be in the minority - I still feel like the club and team is mine, and this delaying the game, stopping it etc is like cutting my nose off to spite my face?

I'm happy to walk in late and go early because that's not disruptive in that way to me. The whistles idea is not really something I'd want to do personally but each to their own.

What are you even talking about, man. You are happy to support a protest as long as it doesn't inconvenience you? I'm sorry Jbizzle I'm not one of this brigade that jump on you at every opportunity but you're, quite respectfully, talking out of your arse here. All this idealistic bullshit about "thousands singing outside" blah blah is NONSENSE.

In order to effectively protest one must disrupt. It is as simple as that. No worker ever got better working conditions by not disrupting manufacturing. A hugely significant comparison to our situation. You have to make as big an impact as possible.

Walk in late, disrupt the game, chant, fly banners, those who want to run on the pitch do so, those that may want to disrupt the view of Sky cameras do so, leave early, chant outside, boycott outside, hand out leaflets, fly planes over.......do whatever you want. Wanna storm the directors box with a flare? DO IT. Disrupt the games vs Wolves in any way you can. 100% cooperation isn't going to happen. Do what you are happy to do.

I, personally, am happy to go in late, blow a whistle, chant, fly banners and leave. 5 years ago when I didn't think I'd have a career that could be impacted by a criminal record I'd have gone much further. Unfortunately, or fortunately however you look at it, I now have more to lose so I can't.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you even talking about, man. You are happy to support a protest as long as it doesn't inconvenience you? I'm sorry Jbizzle I'm not one of this brigade that jump on you at every opportunity but you're, quite respectfully, talking out of your arse here. All this idealistic bullshit about "thousands singing outside" blah blah is NONSENSE.

In order to effectively protest one must disrupt. It is as simple as that. No worker ever got better working conditions by not disrupting manufacturing. A hugely significant comparison to our situation. You have to make as big an impact as possible.

Walk in late, disrupt the game, chant, fly banners, those who want to run on the pitch do so, those that may want to disrupt the view of Sky cameras do so, leave early, chant outside, boycott outside, hand out leaflets, fly planes over.......do whatever you want. Wanna storm the directors box with a flare? DO IT. Disrupt the games vs Wolves in any way you can. 100% cooperation isn't going to happen. Do what you are happy to do.

I, personally, am happy to go in late, blow a whistle, chant, fly banners and leave. 5 years ago when I didn't think I'd have a career that could be impacted by a criminal record I'd have gone much further. Unfortunately, or fortunately however you look at it, I now have more to lose so I can't.

No problem I know you aren't but the drivel, with respect is exactly what I think.

Do I feel like delaying or interfering with a game will ultimately help in our cause to rid the club of the owners? No, I just don't see it.

The impact will be on the team, full stop. If parts of the ground are against it - it will cause friction. I just listened to a fan talk about how the media are in the pockets of those who orchestrated the madness - whilst I already knew that, it's a horrible reminder how easily this could be flipped from "concerned passionate fans" to something much worse!

Find a protest that suits the masses, whilst I think it might still have little impact - uniting the fan base under one shared goal is a better start than getting games called off.

I couldn't give two hoots about the media right now. They've abandoned us. As Glen said quite passionately in the meeting: we are on our own. If we have columnists like Collymore, Savage etc still sympathising I'll take that as a victory. With respect to major media outlets - sod 'em. We have got to the attention of other poorly run clubs and they are sympathetic to our plight. I'd imagine that if Sky tried to pass us off as an angry mob without a cause it would fall on deaf ears as of now. Our cause has been clearly highlighted to many. Whilst most fans simply shrug at our problems, unconcerned with the downfall of BRFC, they certainly don't see us as pointless protesters. They understand our concern but simply don't give it much attention as it doesn't affect them. I highly doubt the media could spin that at this stage.

Following on I don't think we will ever get a protest that suits the masses. I think a multitude of protests vs Wolves is the best idea. You can support whichever one you wish. If you only wish to support the walk in and out do so. If you wish to pitch invade do so. What we mustn't do is fail to defend another protester. Whilst we don't have to actively engage with a protest we shouldn't denounce it, unless of course it involves violence. Any form of protest from here on out should be defended so long as the ultimate aim is to rid BRFC of Venky's and that is even if some protests fall in shady legal ground, ie: pitch invasions. The only no go should be violence.

I couldn't give two hoots about the media right now. They've abandoned us. As Glen said quite passionately in the meeting: we are on our own. If we have columnists like Collymore, Savage etc still sympathising I'll take that as a victory. With respect to major media outlets - sod 'em. We have got to the attention of other poorly run clubs and they are sympathetic to our plight. I'd imagine that if Sky tried to pass us off as an angry mob without a cause it would fall on deaf ears as of now. Our cause has been clearly highlighted to many. Whilst most fans simply shrug at our problems, unconcerned with the downfall of BRFC, they certainly don't see us as pointless protesters. They understand our concern but simply don't give it much attention as it doesn't affect them. I highly doubt the media could spin that at this stage.

Following on I don't think we will ever get a protest that suits the masses. I think a multitude of protests vs Wolves is the best idea. You can support whichever one you wish. If you only wish to support the walk in and out do so. If you wish to pitch invade do so. What we mustn't do is fail to defend another protester. Whilst we don't have to actively engage with a protest we shouldn't denounce it, unless of course it involves violence. Any form of protest from here on out should be defended so long as the ultimate aim is to rid BRFC of Venky's and that is even if some protests fall in shady legal ground, ie: pitch invasions. The only no go should be violence.

For you, exactly!

It's not about "convenience" as you said before. It's about personal choice. I feel a bit uneasy about purposely interrupting a game! I can appreciate the message that it sends though to a degree, and I certainly wouldn't remonstrate with anyone near me doing it!

I think some might feel more strongly against it though, and the last thing we need is any infighting or more friction! One thing I agree with though is violence or hatred! That's always a step to far for a protest or lobby!

Mixed feelings about tonight. It was good to see so many people that care, that in itself made me a little emotional but I was disappointed how some people conducted themselves. In these times its vital that people leave their ego at the door but it turned out to be exactly what i expected, people wanting answers and to vent their frustrations... It @#/? me off. I agreed with the fella from down south at the end but the way he put the point across wasn't right, it was making a scene and counter productive.

I spoke at one point, I was nervous and I hope i came across ok but I felt like something constructive needed to be said to get the thing back on track. I spoke about working with other fans, shaming the F.A. etc and i think the panel felt like they should give a response to it, i didn't want answers it was just an idea but responding to these ideas mislead the whole concept of the meeting. I wanted to speak again at the end to get the meeting back on track and try and get some results and decisions made but it ended before I got chance.

I felt there needed to be a CLEAR name given to these new protest movements like 'The Tangerine Knights', we should have discussed this and people chuck some ideas for names out there... Afterwards I came up with the idea of "Rovers Against Venkys" which I feel has a clear message that this is NOT their club and we will stand against them. This was just an idea, i also put it to Mark Fish afterwards... Thoughts?

I also thought it needed to be discussed how we were going to vote for which protests are going to be focused on, twitter poll? BRFCC poll? Especially if like Wayne proposed we are all going to invest in protests, we need to vote on these things but none of this was discussed.

I walked away disappointed due to peoples conduct and the lack of productivity at the end of the meeting. I felt like there needed to be a few stronger personalities to keep this meeting on track, credit for those who made this happen though. Personally I think there needs to be some fresh faces to head up these sorts of meetings. There was a lady who spoke early in the meeting who I spoke to afterwards, she was strong and articulate she would be perfect and has the right mentality, I also put myself forward if need be.

I was interviewed by Rock FM afterwards, I think i came across well but the final question caught me well of guard, she asked "what has it been like to be a Rovers fan these past 6 years"... I'm a little ashamed to say that i couldn't hold back the tears and replied "there are no words".

Well done to all those that organised this though, you have my gratitude and respect but to everyone else talking about how frustrated they are etc... Leave it at the door, this is the time to discuss how we move forward, we're all frustrated and none of us have any answers, it was cringeworthy to think some thought people like Mark and Wayne had all the answers and could speak for the club. Please think before you speak and if you don't have anything constructive to say other that whinging or talking about frustrations then don't speak! Leave it to those who have ideas. I think this point needs to stressed before the next meeting to keep it in check and I would personally do that if need be because I found it bloody frustrating.

My thoughts on my meeting.

Firstly it was very well attended with the room close to capacity.

Great work by the BRFCAG for organising room and marketing it

The whole room was very much on the same page in terms of Venkys out.

There was many questions regarding Facts which were brushed away a little as it appeared to be more of what happens next.

Many ideas brought to the table have been tried and have failed to date.

The top table spoke of a trip to pune in new year which in my opinion is far too late. Preston blue amongst others have been planning one for weeks ,whilst Kamy has already got in place the support around the delegation including media presence, so I wouldnt be in favour cancelling that, especially as we are funding it ourselves and 3 to 4 months is far too long to wait.

Other protest were muted for Wolves as some felt a presence here and india was important.

Damaging the venky brand in their own back yard in their other industries was quite popular too.

However after speaking to a lot of people, there was quite a call within the crowd for a new elected task force to be created ,so that everyone is under one banner/identity, instead of groups trying work together.

Remember everyones opinion is important, not just parts of it.

Some supporters are not as far on this journey as others as they don't have all the information to hand of what has gone on behind the scenes, so there opinion focuses on the tangible, which is results, sales and squad.

There are many people working on things in the background, some were not in attendance tonight as they were already committed to work etc.

The aftermath, I'm no wiser than I was when I walked in to the meeting, but im 100% sure to take this forward , it has to be done under one banner with one message. Meeting in the middle will not cause a ripple, its whole hog or no hog.

Was good to see so many supporters make the effort on a thursday night.

RTID

Also Sky Sports attended tonight, the guy (i forget his name) even said that he didn't really understand the outcome of the meeting, which I agreed with and found a little embarrassing personally. I really wanted to come away tonight with some sort of structure but unfortunately because of people's insistence to be heard, moan, speak with no real point and no one keeping the thing on track we've come away with nothing... Really frustrating. I'm not saying the feelings of supporters aren't important its just that it's just not relevant and it doesn't help us progress from where we are to where we want to be. In future at these meetings it really needs to be stressed that before you choose to speak, please have something to offer or an idea.

There were audible gasps and 'ohhhhh nooos' to the suggestion of a pitch invasion.

Rovers,Rovers ra ra ra....made me roll my eyes to the heavens.

If it is televised it 100% needs a pitch invasion/peaceful disruption of some kind (like the tennis balls on the pitch).

Truth is, we'll be lucky to get 10k on vs Wolves, so any protest needs to force itself into the limelight. I'd love nothing more than people returning in great numbers to kick up a fuss, but it won't happen. The more bizarre, the better. Something oddly unique eith the potential to go viral would be a bonus.

Ultimately it won't force anything, I think not so deep down we realise that. It's about caring and trying I suppose.

Also Sky Sports attended tonight, the guy (i forget his name) even said that he didn't really understand the outcome of the meeting, which I agreed with and found a little embarrassing personally. I really wanted to come away tonight with some sort of structure but unfortunately because of people's insistence to be heard, moan, speak with no real point and no one keeping the thing on track we've come away with nothing... Really frustrating.

Yeh I spoke to him too, He felt it was crying out for leadership and a more focused approach. He couldnt work out what the outcome was, which was a missed opportunity.

Spoke to The Times, we exchanged numbers as he wants to get a good piece out at the weekend, so will forward him some things ans hopefully he can get a good piece out there in a respected paper.

On a positive note, met lots of BRFCS posters tonight and was great to put face to names.

Whilst exchanged numbers with a few people who would like to be more active and offer their skills and services

For me tonight was hugely positive. Having formerly being involved in the Rovers Trust from its inception, I found the sight of that group united with the action group and Ewood Blues massively encouraging!

We need direction, yes, no doubt. But my personal feeling is the last thing we need is another group!

Unity, early traction on a mass protest v wolves, a feeling that organic protests will be ongoing, and plans underway for a delegation to India equals a lot of good things to take away in my opinion.

I voiced my personal views - that disruptions will be effective. I maintain that embarrassing the authorities and inconveniencing Sky is what I'd like to see.

I thought some really good ideas were put forward (Neal - I think the trust would really appreciate your passion and share your aims and ideas... Contact them!)

Sadly too much raking over old ground, demands for answers and stating the obvious.

The international man of mystery who made a scene at the end annoyed me, and I confronted him and told him so... "I've sat round a table with Suhail Pascha, what have you done?" Was his response... Irinically he embodied all mouth and no trousers, which was his biggest gripe towards others!

Yeh I spoke to him too, He felt it was crying out for leadership and a more focused approach. He couldnt work out what the outcome was, which was a missed opportunity.

Spoke to The Times, we exchanged numbers as he wants to get a good piece out at the weekend, so will forward him some things ans hopefully he can get a good piece out there in a respected paper.

On a positive note, met lots of BRFCS posters tonight and was great to put face to names.

Whilst exchanged numbers with a few people who would like to be more active and offer their skills and services

Very big missed opportunity, had we had some structure and some strong outcomes this could have given us some really positive coverage. Suppose we need to learn from this one and make sure it's focused at the next meeting.

Very big missed opportunity, had we had some structure and some strong outcomes this could have given us some really positive coverage. Suppose we need to learn from this one and make sure it's focused at the next meeting.

But will those same journalists attend next time?

I still believe our frustrations came across. Our lack of hope definitely did. The round of applause you got was indicative of the approach we want to take as a support, I believe.

A branded campaign (Uncle Jack's Army? anything) and a focus on togetherness with other supporters' groups is a must.

For me tonight was hugely positive. Having formerly being involved in the Rovers Trust from its inception, I found the sight of that group united with the action group and Ewood Blues massively encouraging!

We need direction, yes, no doubt. But my personal feeling is the last thing we need is another group!

Unity, early traction on a mass protest v wolves, a feeling that organic protests will be ongoing, and plans underway for a delegation to India equals a lot of good things to take away in my opinion.

I voiced my personal views - that disruptions will be effective. I maintain that embarrassing the authorities and inconveniencing Sky is what I'd like to see.

I thought some really good ideas were put forward (Neal - I think the trust would really appreciate your passion and share your aims and ideas... Contact them!)

Sadly too much raking over old ground, demands for answers and stating the obvious.

The international man of mystery who made a scene at the end annoyed me, and I confronted him and told him so... "I've sat round a table with Suhail Pascha, what have you done?" Was his response... Irinically he embodied all mouth and no trousers, which was his biggest gripe towards others!

I dont agree Duncan, there is one group and that is blackburn rovers football club.

Every group has its own constitution and its own goals, which conflict with one another. No one is calling on those groups to cease, but for this to get legs and move forward it needs a group working for the supporters under one clear remit, and to do whatever it takes.

Having been on this road for 5 years , nothing new was proposed, all suggestions had either been tried or are currently on-going. I was hoping a freshness would be brought to the table.

What I did gleam though , was there was at least 7 or 8 people sat in that audience tonight who I'd gladly rally around and many of them spoke to the floor and where of the same opinion.

An open meeting is to discuss ideas and moving things forward, but to dismiss the ideas straight away, will not bring a united front.

A united front is what this meeting was about and if that means handing the baton over to these people who can kick it on again, then that should be a priority in my opinion

Also Sky Sports attended tonight, the guy (i forget his name) even said that he didn't really understand the outcome of the meeting, which I agreed with and found a little embarrassing personally. I really wanted to come away tonight with some sort of structure but unfortunately because of people's insistence to be heard, moan, speak with no real point and no one keeping the thing on track we've come away with nothing... Really frustrating. I'm not saying the feelings of supporters aren't important its just that it's just not relevant and it doesn't help us progress from where we are to where we want to be. In future at these meetings it really needs to be stressed that before you choose to speak, please have something to offer or an idea.

I thought you spoke really well. I was standing right behind you and I know it's not easy to address so many people. The FA have got a lot to answer for.

As for the meeting, it was useful as a first step. Nothing of any significance was decided but I applaud the guys who arranged it and were prepared to put in the work to make it happen. There does need to be more structure to future meetings if they happen. As you say, no point asking each other for answers as we don't have any. The southern guy had a point but made it in the wrong way - he's obviously passionate and frustrated like all of us. Hopefully we will learn and future meetings will be more productive. These things take time.

I think we need a figurehead who would be prepared to get involved and could command some respect even if it means taking a bit of flak from time to time. The passion and determination is there for all to see but getting people outside Blackburn to listen and take interest is so difficult. If we could get Jack Straw or Wayne Hemmingway or someone just to promote the issue and put our concerns forward it would be worth as much as the planned protests at the Wolves game.

One real positive that I think came across was that everyone, it seemed, was prepared to protest in one way or another.

I

I agree that we don't need another group but I do think we need to give ourselves a clear title in our protests and efforts because there needs to be a focal point for organising, funding and voting for which protests go ahead, there needs to be structure to bring together the fan base. I feel that at the moment there's too much of a divide between supporters who choose to go and supporters who choose to boycott. I feel if we were all under one banner (just as an e.g. 'Rovers Against Venkys') both sets of supporters might have a little bit more respect for each others actions because at this point any action is positive.

A point i wanted to make that I didn't get chance to elaborate on was about targeting the F.A. from a different direction. I've mentioned on another thread that got sidetracked about starting something called "Fans on Board". I touched on this and Wayne responded about how they've contacted the F.A. about fan representation at board room level. I think it could be good to start this organisation ourselves, separate from Rovers protests (although i think it will help our situation) and try to get other supporters groups from other clubs on board through the 'Fans United' movement. We briefly spoke about the FSF (Football Supporters Federation) and I feel their goals are too widespread, I think there needs to be an organisation SPECIFICALLY forcing this issue on the F.A. to make it mandatory the the fans are represented in the board room to stop situations at Rovers from happening again and to stop what is happening now. I think we need to think big and outside the box and personally I'm 100% convinced that this is the only way (fans on board), I'm fully committed to the idea but I just don't know where to start with it. I feel that most fans of almost every club would vote in favour of this, Arsenal, United, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds, Coventry, Portsmouth to name a few I feel would back this idea.

I have given my details to the guys tonight but feel free to contact me on here.

• Backroom

I think future meetings need to be chaired and minuted with a specific result in mind.

Eg: Tonight's could have been 'Finalised protest vs Wolves' and 'Name for our movement'.

Seems to me (as reported in LET) that entering on 18, leaving on 75, with whistles and banners galore seems a decent outcome. Though perhaps it'll need more coordination.

As for the name, I really like the simplicity of Rovers Against Venky's. However, where we've fallen.short is that this should've been the BRFC Action Group (which has longevity post-Venky's), much like TangerineKnights has longevity.

Thanks everyone for showing face at this. Although it sounds like some were a little disappointed in the outcome, I gather that there are some positives to take from it. I'm excited to see what will happen v Wolves.

Myself and t'missus are planning on coming over for a game sometime next year, it'd be lovely to watch a Rovers team free from the V****s taint.

#venkysout

Firstly, let me thank everyone who attended for attending, and for those who couldn't attend, for discussing, promoting, suggesting ideas and encouraging other people to attend.

It was disappointing to see the meeting end on the note that it did end. The guy had his opinion and he's entitled to his opinion, however approaching us and yelling at us achieves nothing, myself and the guys up there are not the enemy here! He believes someone should put their neck on the block, yet when i offered him the seat and gave him the opportunity to sit there - he declined, so in essence - he thinks somebody needs to do it, as long as its not him!

I can accept criticism, i have broad shoulders, i have had to learn to take it in recent years. 5 years ago this month i attended an open supporters meeting because i was worried about the direction the football club was going in, i took an 11th hour decision to attend the first protest against Arsenal, and very quickly i saw a guy stood there all alone, organising and implementing, i didn't choose to stand and berate at him, instead i chose to stand by his side and help him, to ease Glens' workload and give him a sounding board.

What happened next, was never part of any plan - but dark forces set to work and very quickly myself and this bloke i didn't even know before that protest, had to trust each other and trust each other quickly, there was a firm divide and conquer in place and at one stage the club would ring and tell us both contradicting things, and we had to speak on the phone every couple of hours to stay ahead of the game at times.

In those five years, i have suffered threats countless times, including threats to my life, i have been assaulted by our own supporters, the club gave me an ultimatum to either stop protesting or face a stadium ban, i have camera's trained on me for 90 minutes at football matches, i have received solicitors letters, had the clubs PR company sending me threats in the early hours of the morning, among many other things. Five years ago, i never knew what lay ahead - i simply looked at a guy that was fighting for this club, OUR club and stood up alongside him.

I came up with the idea of organising tonight's meeting before a ball had even been kicked this season. The results and the performances in our first three matches, together with the sale of our better players continuing, simply brought more urgency to the need for it to happen. Some will say it was organised hastily, that it needed more than just 2 weeks to arrange it, and perhaps it did! Our attempts to get a strong experienced compere, were fruitless as nobody would do it - Graham offered to step in at short notice and did his best on the night. A pre-meet between the supporter groups only happened 24 hours before the event, none of us really knowing what to expect as the room filled up.

My after thoughts? it was long overdue to see the unity among supporters, to put the past in the past and look towards the now and the next...however it was just a small step, on a long long journey. I wanted to listen to as many viewpoints as i could, to gauge feedback on proposals and listen to ideas. We all want a quick fix, however we have been at this long enough to know that this isn't easy, its going to take time.

Some fantastic points were made, and i echo everyone on here in their praise for those who spoke confidently and put their ideas forward, inparticular Neal and Marion who were fantastic. I have a lot wrote down and a lot to look at tonight over the next few hours before i go to bed, i also have a list of people who put their names and contact details down and you have my guarantee that i will contact every single person who i have details for in the coming days, as we look to reach out to people who can bring positives to the table.

Tonight's meeting cannot be the last of its kind, we must act on tonight's discussions and move forward together and i accept and agree that any future meetings need to have proposals and decisions. The clear remit from tonight in terms of protests, was that the proposal to enter on 18 and exit on 75 was the popular one, and in the coming days the work on this will begin. The other popular suggestion was whistles, and anything of this nature, that is either audible or visual in addition to being disruptive.

Ourselves, the guys at the Rovers Trust, Birdy and the Ewood Blues, together with the guys on the Fans Forum and those supporter groups overseas, such as New York Rovers, BRSCN and NIBRSA will continue dialogue, with the fans proposals and suggestions firmly in mind. I can assure everyone who spoke that i was taking notes of all comments and that nobody is being ignored and no ideas are being dismissed.

For those who are disappointed at any lack of progress tonight, please bear with it, we are on the right road now and the journey has begun.

Great turnout tonight-If there had been a weak showing, then that would have been that-We could not go back and ask again in six months time really. It could have gone better though, i have my own thoughts on this and some of my pre event fears were realised. But it was a raw, emotive evening, with many people using the event to vent their spleens and their frustrations over the situation at Ewood showed.

It was a difficult night but it wa always going to be. It did not get rowdy though and didn't descend into chaos.

The fans are still at different stages, and spreading awareness is the first step. When Ken Taro (sic) was mentioned, there was a loud shout of "who?". It was clear that there are still some people who are completely in the dark on a lot of these issues.

The key now is to keep up that momentum. It was never going to be the perfect evening but I thought it went as well as it could have when bringing together so many different groups and polar opinions.

I'm not sure if everyone on the night appreciated that the Rovers Trust are an independent organisation from the club. Some of the questions, e.g. Brockhall ownership, suggested that they thought you had the answers, and seemed to suggest that they thought you were part of the club.

Yes, there was frustration - in the audience and on the panel - but it was a good first start.

Archived