BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Open Floor Meeting To Unite The Fans

pk1875

• Backroom

There was someone in the meeting urging for such action at Ewood and I think the same guy suggested this type of action should also be taken by Rovers fans at PL grounds.

No one in the area I was sat agreed with pitch invasion.

If I remember rightly, he misspoke and meant IPL grounds (the cricket was mentioned immediately before he spoke).

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayne Wild had the mic at the start and the opportunity to control the meeting. I am suprised that he apparently chose not to.

One thing the Stuart bloke did get right (in part) was that it possibly needs a new face. The lads involved to date are quite jaded, probably cynical and will have upset people along the way. At one point "pk" Paul did say (in response to the Panorama / Dispatches suggestion) "all these ideas have been tried". They may need to be tried again from a different angle. In my mind, these guys are home town heroes but they need help. They need to all be able to get behind a new face but it will take a string character and somebody with time in abundance.

Maybe that Stuart guy can offer something. He was certainly passionate about it, if a little frustrated.

• Backroom

Well I sat with Preston Blue and Tom, had a chat with Ste B, Scotty, Paul and Bob Fleming, we could have been in Blues Bar setting up BRISA circa 2004

BRISA's birth was well organised but had no crisis to sustain it, whereas we are certainly in crisis now, but boy do we need some better organisation!

After a ropey start, I felt we were getting somewhere; some great speakers, plenty of willing volunteers and much support for the idea of a working group being set up...

Then I feel the MC totally lost control; it was approaching 9pm and person after person was still being given the mic, often going over the same ground,when what was needed was a recap of where we were, what we've agreed and a way forward for the next month or so, instead it descended into a shouting match and abruptly ended.

Still, great to see a packed out venue and I just hope we now have enough momentum .

Gutted I didn't meet more of you. Met SteB, and briefly chatted with Glen, Savio, Tom and another whose ID I've entirely forgotten.

All who stood and spoke did so very well imo. My only gripes were that it needed a journo to chair it fully and orchestrate next steps and questions. Without that, it led to a lot of nattering whire some spoke.

They couldn't remove 3,000 - the game would be called off.

Too old now. Did my bit 40 years ago. Over to you if you really care .............

There was an old geezer in a mobo cart who took part in Blackpool's pitch invasion.

You don't get out of it that easily. ;)

• Backroom

I thought the host had a very tough task as it was a large room for one man to get across with the mic without getting bogged down in an area.

With some great stuff to be discussed I thought it got bogged down at times by passion above logic which is always going to happen:

We need a follow on but sustaining the numbers isn't easy

There was someone in the meeting urging for such action at Ewood and I think the same guy suggested this type of action should also be taken by Rovers fans at PL grounds.

No one in the area I was sat agreed with pitch invasion.

I fought the reference was to the PL too, not IPL.

In theory it could get some exposure. In reality, it would see people arrested and the Sky cameras would simply 'look away'.

Not starter in my mind.

Jim, stop saying that people would invade the pitch "if they really cared" as though it's the only think that would work. Illegal protests will not be supported or condoned, and will do more harm than good.

The world has moved on from when you changed on the pitch.

Bad idea Birdy came.

Bad post more like.

Is Abbey in attendance LD?

Indeed he was! Larger than life as ever.

Guy just got on mic and called out two Asian guys as being employees of the club - they weren't

That was embarrassing to say the least.

Marion for me was a star though we need her front and central someone people can really resonate with

She was brilliant, as ever. Extremely eloquent.

I thought the guy who was going on at the end was right in what he said regarding we need to come away from this with a clear plan. Spot on.

However, it was slightly hypocritical when earlier in the night he said he worked in the media industry and someone asked if he could do something, he then said 'No, I would lose everything' then closed the night with 'Somebody needs to put their bol*ocks on the line'

A shame that, I thought he was also brilliant, just before the break. "Pick one target and move to the next. Start with the Raos". Says it all really. "Know your enemy, know your target". Used to post on here apparently until he got himself banned.

The game is nigh on up for these muthas. We know what they're up to. I swear I never heard the word "Coyle" mentioned once all evening. Incredible really. Says it all.

I believe Preston Blue spoke early on. Well played Sir. Another who spoke very well.

There were quite a few.

For me work needs to be done on getting the word out to the wider fan base on just what has gone on over the last few years. I know that sounds incredible to those who inhabit this MB but I really believe that only 20-30% of fans will have seen the leaked docs for example. How can we have a united fan base and widespread support for any form of protest when people aren't in possession of such info?

Well played to those who organised the evening. It's a good start and should be repeated IMO.

Birdy's 18 and 75 minute messages as a great first start but Glen is right about the safety issue. The concourse is not the place for that many people. Crushing is a possibility.

I didn't agree with this point at the time and still don't. The concourses must have been designed to take a capacity gate of 30,000 or a very high percentage. If the concourses are adequate for thousands to get to a toilet, buy food coffee and beer with our much reduced gates they would easily hold all 10,000 in the unlikely event of the entire crowd taking part - which they won't.

Bit of perspective needed with the pitch invasion thing as I don't recall Leeds, Newcastle, Villa trying it during a game. Blackpools I think was semi organised with the club in order to let them get some steam off. Some stewards were onside and letting people on.

What they didn't bargain for was the sit in to get the game abandoned. Plus Ewood ain't an easy pitch to invade being miles away from the seats. The riverside obviously would be the best starting point but if everyone gathered in there they'd have 500 stewards and police in front of it !

• Backroom

Bit of perspective needed with the pitch invasion thing as I don't recall Leeds, Newcastle, Villa trying it during a game. Blackpools I think was semi organised with the club in order to let them get some steam off. Some stewards were onside and letting people on.

What they didn't bargain for was the sit in to get the game abandoned. Plus Ewood ain't an easy pitch to invade being miles away from the seats. The riverside obviously would be the best starting point but if everyone gathered in there they'd have 500 stewards and police in front of it !

Which leads me to another point. Unite on all sides of the ground. StEdwards and police can't cover everyone who may wish to get on the pitch.

I refuse to, however.

Quite possible and I may well have misheard. The IPL would make sense.

I will take my whistle to Wolves but I for one would not take part in anything illegal. I'm sure thousands of others will feel the same.

Not that the meeting asked us to.

I didn't agree with this point at the time and still don't. The concourses must have been designed to take a capacity gate of 30,000 or a very high percentage. If the concourses are adequate for thousands to get to a toilet, buy food coffee and beer with our much reduced gates they would easily hold all 10,000 in the unlikely event of the entire crowd taking part - which they won't.

Nonsense. They aren't designed for everyone to go to the toilet at once. Very big safety concern for me.

• Backroom

Quite possible and I may well have misheard. The IPL would make sense.

I will take my whistle to Wolves but I for one would not take part in anything illegal. I'm sure thousands of others will feel the same.

Not that the meeting asked us to.

Exactly myou stance and my dad's too.

Wont happen. Other things to try first.

I like the whistling idea. A sustained burst of whistles around the ground for minutes at a time would effectively delay the game- noteworthy in itself.

However first idea agreed needs to be followed by as many people as possible. Stay under the stand for 18 minutes and again after 75 minutes.

Nonsense. They aren't designed for everyone to go to the toilet at once. Very big safety concern for me.

Seriously? You think stadium design doesn't consider the capacity the concourses must be able to hold and then add a very healthy margin for error?

In theory it could get some exposure. In reality, it would see people arrested and the Sky cameras would simply 'look away'.

Not starter in my mind.

Jim, stop saying that people would invade the pitch "if they really cared" as though it's the only think that would work. Illegal protests will not be supported or condoned, and will do more harm than good.

The world has moved on from when you changed on the pitch.

Definitely Premier League.

Great turnout tonight-If there had been a weak showing, then that would have been that-We could not go back and ask again in six months time really. It could have gone better though, i have my own thoughts on this and some of my pre event fears were realised. But it was a raw, emotive evening, with many people using the event to vent their spleens and their frustrations over the situation at Ewood showed.

The concourse wont be a problem. Its not as if its the Dingle Dome Dump. They are big at Ewood.

Seriously? You think stadium design doesn't consider the capacity the concourses must be able to hold and then add a very healthy margin for error?

Having organised protest , i know factually they will hold max 800 people at anyone time, they were built for people to pass through and law of averages of beverage toilet stops.

This was an idea 5 years ago and an order was put on us to stop it because of safety

Wont happen. Other things to try first.

I like the whistling idea. A sustained burst of whistles around the ground for minutes at a time would effectively delay the game- noteworthy in itself.

However first idea agreed needs to be followed by as many people as possible. Stay under the stand for 18 minutes and again after 75 minutes.

1875 might mean something to Rovers fans but would the wider world know or care ?

The Wolves game is an opportunity to make a meaningful protest - staying out of sight seems barmy to me.

Plus Ewood ain't an easy pitch to invade being miles away from the seats. The riverside obviously would be the best starting point but if everyone gathered in there they'd have 500 stewards and police in front of it !

With respect, that's just bunkum. One of Lancashire's smallest men, well into his late 20's, was first out onto the pitch last time. And that was from the Blackburn End!

Up until 1992 I believe it was the law that people would pee in the coat pocket of the fan stood in front of them if they needed to go? The country's gone soft Paul.

Having organised protest , i know factually they will hold max 800 people at anyone time, they were built for people to pass through and law of averages of beverage toilet stops.

This was an idea 5 years ago and an order was put on us to stop it because of safety

I'll take your word for it Glen as I don't know but when one looks at how the BBE empties at half time there must be more than 800 on the concourse? Probably not now but in years gone by.

I'm really surprised it's such a low number.

Archived