BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Window

No question that the club will be doing everything possible to get something for Marshall in January, so we can fully expect him to depart. It's well and good certain posters saying that they want Marshall out because his head isn't here, but we aren't going to replace him with better, are we? Marshall with his head turned 180 degrees is still likely to be a better player than whatever chancer we opt to bring in on a free transfer to replace him.

Since Venky's came in we have lost:

Chris Samba

Ryan Nelsen

Michel Salgado

Phil Jones

Niko Kalinic

Brett Emerton

Steve N'Zonzi

Yakubu

Junior Hoilett

Mark Bunn

Martin Olsson

Scott Dann

Gael Givet

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Alan Judge (twice)

Rudy Gestede

Jordan Rhodes

Tom Cairney

Marcus Olsson

Josh King

Paul Robinson

Grant Hanley

Shane Duffy

There are obviously plenty of others, but all of the above were sold with many fans blessings - with reasons ranging from "well, we couldn't turn down that money, could we?" to "well, they were never that good anyway" to "well, his head was turned so he was no good to us anyway" to "well, we are where we are. We can't compete when clubs like Manchester United/Newcastle/Boro/Derby come calling, can we?" ... meanwhile each of those players now has an inferior replacement, leaving us looking at certain relegation within the next 18 months at best. Most likely it will be by this summer.

The lack of ambition from the impostors running the club seems to be increasingly reflected by those who are left supporting the club, and that's really sad to see. We all deserve better than this, even those who have deluded themselves into thinking our best players leaving is the right thing to do and one day Venky's will start funding us again.

Very well put. In the end the situation is always the same. Whichever players are sold off will end up at a better club than Rovers, on more money than at Rovers, with better prospects than at Rovers and Rovers will end up worse off because of it.

Even ignoring the Premier League exodus, since we've been in the Championship and sold off the likes of Hanley, Duffy, Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Olsson and soon to be Marshall, all of those players have been signed by clubs that are in higher positions than we are and all their replacements have been poorer quality.

My expectation is that if this process continues then in 3 or 4 years time we'll be offloading our assets to the likes of Bradford and Portsmouth and replacing them with people from Accy Stanley. Its a downscaling and downsizing cycle that these owners have no intention of stopping. Eventually we'll be loaning people from Wigan and Wolves to try and keep us in League One.

There's nothing that will stop that, because the man running the club is only interested in numbers on the balance sheet and the owners aren't interested in anything other than prolonging their damned stay for reasons unclear, most probably sinister.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right Back.

Centre Back.

Right Winger.

Central Midfielder.

Emnes permanently.

Probably get Emnes and Ba(free CB)

Agree on Right back, centre midfielder and pacey winger. But cant see the funds being available.

I would like us to sign Hoban permanent but cant see it

• Backroom

Very well put. In the end the situation is always the same. Whichever players are sold off will end up at a better club than Rovers, on more money than at Rovers, with better prospects than at Rovers and Rovers will end up worse off because of it.

Even ignoring the Premier League exodus, since we've been in the Championship and sold off the likes of Hanley, Duffy, Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Olsson and soon to be Marshall, all of those players have been signed by clubs that are in higher positions than we are and all their replacements have been poorer quality.

My expectation is that if this process continues then in 3 or 4 years time we'll be offloading our assets to the likes of Bradford and Portsmouth and replacing them with people from Accy Stanley. Its a downscaling and downsizing cycle that these owners have no intention of stopping. Eventually we'll be loaning people from Wigan and Wolves to try and keep us in League One.

There's nothing that will stop that, because the man running the club is only interested in numbers on the balance sheet and the owners aren't interested in anything other than prolonging their damned stay for reasons unclear, most probably sinister.

Exactly. At a normal club, selling a player if their head has been turned is considered acceptable - mainly because his performances will have dropped and the money can be used to bring in a suitable replacement.

At Rovers, the money disappears into a black hole and if we're lucky we get either an injury-prone has been or a total nobody, on a free transfer, as replacement. Sometimes there just is no replacement and youth players/Jason Lowe fill the void.

Once Marshall goes, we are pretty much out of players who can be sold at any kind of decent value. And even he will go cheaper due to only having six months left on his contract. What happens then?

I'd like to think that once the few remaining assets (Marshall and possibly Evans/Conway) have been sold in the next couple of transfer windows that we'll then reach a stage where something has to give.

Unfortunately I don't think this will actually happen. In part due to our terrible squad in the summer we've seen players given an opportunity who themselves will develop into players worth a couple of million quid.

Lenihan has ended up playing at CB regularly due to injuries, the result has been that he's actually demonstrated he is a capable Championship CB who has done some excellent work for the team recently (ignoring his act of stupidity yesterday). So no doubt if he continues to impress this season he'll be the next one up for auction as rivals take notice of a young player who has shown he can play in midfield and at CB to a good level. Someone will pay a million+ for him and the process will then continue.

As you say, I'd have no problem selling Marshall if there was a plan to replace him. Likewise the sale of Rhodes/Hanley and Duffy, whilst not nice, could easily have been overcome if the club reinvested the proceeds to better the squad overall.

As it happens I think the club/owners are at least partly to blame for Marshall's attitude. I think they're playing games, lying about the contract situation when they have absolutely no intention of giving him improved terms and are pretending to do so to try and win some people over and deflect the blame onto Marshall's shoulders.

We've seen it all before with Hoilett who was made out to be the one in the wrong when actually it was the club who never even offered him a proper deal. They are liars and cannot be trusted, the most annoying part for me is they think people are so stupid/blind that they can continue to play the same game year on year and people will lap it up and believe the club has done its best.

Probably get Emnes and Ba(free CB)

Agree on Right back, centre midfielder and pacey winger. But cant see the funds being available.

I would like us to sign Hoban permanent but cant see it

Looking at it from a neutral perspective and not through the eyes of a fan, why on earth would Emnes sign for us?

There will be plenty of championship clubs wanting to sign him, with most of those not likely to be on league 1 next season.

I'd like to think that once the few remaining assets (Marshall and possibly Evans/Conway) have been sold in the next couple of transfer windows that we'll then reach a stage where something has to give.

Unfortunately I don't think this will actually happen. In part due to our terrible squad in the summer we've seen players given an opportunity who themselves will develop into players worth a couple of million quid.

Lenihan has ended up playing at CB regularly due to injuries, the result has been that he's actually demonstrated he is a capable Championship CB who has done some excellent work for the team recently (ignoring his act of stupidity yesterday). So no doubt if he continues to impress this season he'll be the next one up for auction as rivals take notice of a young player who has shown he can play in midfield and at CB to a good level. Someone will pay a million+ for him and the process will then continue.

As you say, I'd have no problem selling Marshall if there was a plan to replace him. Likewise the sale of Rhodes/Hanley and Duffy, whilst not nice, could easily have been overcome if the club reinvested the proceeds to better the squad overall.

As it happens I think the club/owners are at least partly to blame for Marshall's attitude. I think they're playing games, lying about the contract situation when they have absolutely no intention of giving him improved terms and are pretending to do so to try and win some people over and deflect the blame onto Marshall's shoulders.

We've seen it all before with Hoilett who was made out to be the one in the wrong when actually it was the club who never even offered him a proper deal. They are liars and cannot be trusted, the most annoying part for me is they think people are so stupid/blind that they can continue to play the same game year on year and people will lap it up and believe the club has done its best.

Couldn't put it better myself.

Anyone any more information on the supposed interest of the club's debt?

If someone gave Bowyer that couple of million to sign Marshall, Evans, Conway, Rudy, Duffy for the initial fees then maybe once they are cashed at a nice profit the investment fund partners whoever they are will take flight with a nice fat profit. Pity they barely got their money back on Rhodes but that's the gamble and Haney was a nice unexpected bonus. Hopefully they are thoroughly fed up with it by now and accept that any income has to service the huge debt run up to help feed their investments whilst they've been here.

Staying around means they'll have to dip into their own pockets regularly to keep the club afloat now parachutes have stopped and there are no significant assets in the pipeline'

You've had your fun now do one !

• Backroom

Looking at it from a neutral perspective and not through the eyes of a fan, why on earth would Emnes sign for us?

There will be plenty of championship clubs wanting to sign him, with most of those not likely to be on league 1 next season.

I would be stunned if Emnes signed for us. He won't be short of offers at Championship level, and even if we are somehow in the Championship next season, it's not unreasonable to assume there will be clubs with better prospects offering him contracts. We will at best be fighting relegation again, with an even weaker team than this season. Chances of Emnes returning to participate in such a delightful campaign is slim to none imo.

If someone gave Bowyer that couple of million to sign Marshall, Evans, Conway, Rudy, Duffy for the initial fees then maybe once they are cashed at a nice profit the investment fund partners whoever they are will take flight with a nice fat profit. Pity they barely got their money back on Rhodes but that's the gamble and Haney was a nice unexpected bonus. Hopefully they are thoroughly fed up with it by now and accept that any income has to service the huge debt run up to help feed their investments whilst they've been here.

Staying around means they'll have to dip into their own pockets regularly to keep the club afloat now parachutes have stopped and there are no significant assets in the pipeline'

You've had your fun now do one !

Nothing but pure scum.

Not wanted, Not Needed, Not liked.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14959810.Blackburn_Rovers_transfer_gossip__Ben_Marshall_interesting_former_boss_Paul_Lambert/

Lancashire Telegraph wasting no time gearing up for the January fun and games. Helping the club on the quest to rid ourselves of players by broadcasting their availability.

They've basically copied a story out of the Sun. Appalling but completely expected from a sham of a newspaper that seems to enjoy linking Rovers players with the exit door at every opportunity. I had hoped that after selling pretty much everyone of value they'd have changed course.

Of course expecting them to do some proper journalism and write stories on potential incomings or take this inept manager to task is too much to ask, stick to regurgitating rumours from the national press.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14959810.Blackburn_Rovers_transfer_gossip__Ben_Marshall_interesting_former_boss_Paul_Lambert/

Lancashire Telegraph wasting no time gearing up for the January fun and games. Helping the club on the quest to rid ourselves of players by broadcasting their availability.

They've basically copied a story out of the Sun. Appalling but completely expected from a sham of a newspaper that seems to enjoy linking Rovers players with the exit door at every opportunity. I had hoped that after selling pretty much everyone of value they'd have changed course.

Of course expecting them to do some proper journalism and write stories on potential incomings or take this inept manager to task is too much to ask, stick to regurgitating rumours from the national press.

parson wont like this

JLowe and Feeney along with Bryne and Hendrie should be shown the door this January and I'd do everything possible to keep Ben Marshall ahead the incompetents mentioned.

Oh and bring in a quality goalkeeper drop Steele to number two and offload Raya.

Forgot Evans Guthrie and Akpan for the Ewood Park exit door don't know what these three do other than toss it off.

There's no copywright on news - media organisations can lift stories from wherever they want. The fact is Marshall's probably our best player and clubs are interested in him, it's a newsworthy story and the LET cannot ignore it. The paper isn't a mouthpiece for the club and it will report the news whether it's good or bad. As for the paper "enjoying linking Rovers players with the exit door", that's a pretty daft comment to be honest.

JLowe and Feeney along with Bryne and Hendrie should be shown the door this January and I'd do everything possible to keep Ben Marshall ahead the incompetents mentioned.

Oh and bring in a quality goalkeeper drop Steele to number two and offload Raya.

Forgot Evans Guthrie and Akpan for the Ewood Park exit door don't know what these three do other than toss it off.

Out that list i'd only keep Guthrie.

Probably all three at the same time. He is on loan. He is a player we can't afford so is here to play well and try to get himself into the Southampton team or earn a move to another club who can afford him. There have been any number of players brought to Rovers in similar circumstances. That tends to be one of the purposes of the loan system giving the players an opportunity to prove their worth and use it as a stepping stone to better things. At the moment the likes of Gallagher and Emnes are players who are giving us good service at a time when we can't afford to buy them. It's a win-win situation for all concerned.

The reason there here is cos they're not good enough for their parent clubs and no one else wanted them.. That is the top and tale of it.. Don't need to dress it up.. Fair do they've done decent at rover's but don't kid yourself world beaters they certainly aren't

Beat me to the punch with this one and after they've started it with Gallagher and others have followed i expect the likes of Evans to feature quite a bit on the back page along with maybe even Lowe as they look to dress the shop window for their buddies connected to the club.

Nicko has started doing his bit basically telling everyone that we have a 1.5 mill rated player who'll be available for next to nothing because of his contract running down and after pricing himself out of staying at Rovers by asking for 25k pwk because he wants out. Protecting his gem buddy as well by saying he wants to keep him lol

Expect more titbits (emphasis on TIT) from this mon regarding our players over the next month whilst he also does his best to help gem mk2 get Barnes a contract here.

There's no copywright on news - media organisations can lift stories from wherever they want. The fact is Marshall's probably our best player and clubs are interested in him, it's a newsworthy story and the LET cannot ignore it. The paper isn't a mouthpiece for the club and it will report the news whether it's good or bad. As for the paper "enjoying linking Rovers players with the exit door", that's a pretty daft comment to be honest.

Really? I can clearly recall before and during the transfer windows for the last 4 years that they have published numerous stories 'linking' our best players with moves away to various clubs that have amounted to absolutely nothing and appear to have been based on little more than rumours on twitter and in the columns of national tabloids (Alan Nixon). The Telegraph depends on the co-operation and support of the club, otherwise they would have nothing to print and no interviews to relay. So they aren't going to start digging for info or print things the club don't like or approve of, otherwise the club could make life hard work for them.

I know there's no copyright and nothing stopping them copying rumours out of rubbish like the Sun if they want to. That doesn't mean it is good or acceptable. It's bone idle lazy and aimed to fill up column space on the cheap without the need to do any proper reporting on the situation. If they want to start talking about Marshall going to Wolves or somewhere else then it is their job to speak to Cheston or Coyle about it and go about it from there.

The coverage delivered by the Telegraph is nothing short of an embarrassment. I understand that the industry is struggling these days, but I compare the coverage in the Telegraph to coverage of Bolton, Reading and Leeds in their local papers and the gulf in quality and quantity is staggering.

On the subject of Marshall if the clubs interested in him are rivals like Wolves then it would be better to let him rot in the reserves until May than sell him mid-season to one of the few teams that we could finish above to survive. Selling a regular starting 11 player mid-season to a relegation rival really would be pushing the self-destruct button. If we had owners with the slightest interest in the club's wellbeing they would ensure they only sold him to a top 6 team or instead forfeit the few hundred grand they might get for him to keep him until the end of the season rather than allow him to join a rival.

Really? I can clearly recall before and during the transfer windows for the last 4 years that they have published numerous stories 'linking' our best players with moves away to various clubs that have amounted to absolutely nothing and appear to have been based on little more than rumours on twitter and in the columns of national tabloids (Alan Nixon). The Telegraph depends on the co-operation and support of the club, otherwise they would have nothing to print and no interviews to relay. So they aren't going to start digging for info or print things the club don't like or approve of, otherwise the club could make life hard work for them.

I know there's no copyright and nothing stopping them copying rumours out of rubbish like the Sun if they want to. That doesn't mean it is good or acceptable. It's bone idle lazy and aimed to fill up column space on the cheap without the need to do any proper reporting on the situation. If they want to start talking about Marshall going to Wolves or somewhere else then it is their job to speak to Cheston or Coyle about it and go about it from there.

It's quite likely that Rovers stonewall every inquiry from the LET about players so it's not surprising if the LET use the rumour mill to publish stories. "Flyers" are stock in trade for alot of tabloids and come about because many clubs refuse to talk to the press or are economical with the truth shall we say about the information they do give. It's not unknown for clubs to give deliberate false information to the press so clubs can hardly complain if transfer "stories" like Marshall appear in the papers. I don't know what relationship the LET has with the current Rovers management but my guess it isn't good so it's not surprising when these types of stories appear.

Forget it.

We are forfeit the season now. Did you not get the memo?

Did I say anything about forfeiting the season? Peoples emotions were running high after a defeat last night as well as maybe having a beer or two, and the two threads I posted on you're winding people up and slating posters left right and centre and are shocked when people react. You're deluded mate I've backed you on here a few times but I've lost any patience I had with you. You're entitled to your opinion of course but 90% of rovers fans know that the venkys won't spend a dime in January and how on earth after everything you still believe they will and have a go at those who rightly don't agree with that is just madness. Your best bet is to take a break from here and meet up with Andrew Evans off Facebook because he's the only rovers fan I know of who loves the venkys and Coyle as much as you do.

LT REPORTS "Marshall's wage demands are reported to be £25,000, with Rovers said to value him in the region of £1.5m".....

If that is a wage PER ANNUM it is still way too much for a journeyman plodder like Marshall...a supposed Big Fish in the smelly stinking pond that is Blackburn Rovers.

Rovers want £1.5 million for him? Ok right I believe in Santa too....if Lambert wants him he can take him for nowt and I'll pay the feckin taxi for the ingrate git.

Meanwhile Rovers should fine him 3 months wages for being fat overweight and with a hairdo that shames us.

DmYou're entitled to your opinion of course but 90% of rovers fans know that the venkys won't spend a dime in January and how on earth after everything you still believe they will and have a go at those who rightly don't agree with that is just madness. Your best bet is to take a break from here and meet up with Andrew Evans off Facebook because he's the only rovers fan I know of who loves the venkys and Coyle as much as you do.

Where did I say love Venkys or Coyle?

I want Venkys out as much as anyone as 2 people can back me up on this. Those being Kamy and PeteD.

You are probably right that Venkys wont spend but it doesnt mean we should give up or that the manager shouldnt keep asking for money

Archived