BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers' mouth piece - the LT

Just now, K-Hod said:

Don't be obtuse, you know that isn't what I meant! The bit below is the bit in question: 

'I’m not excusing a poor game by Derrick Williams but I am reiterating that, as fans, our passion is best served positively rather than negatively. Moan in the pub, cafe or living room. Not hiding behind a keyboard. These individuals, and I use the plural ‘individuals’ badly, rarely make these comments without looking to those around them for confirmation of their prejudices. They seek assurance that they are right because they don’t really believe it; they are ‘individual’ in that they are not representative.'

Now, people live their lives online these days, so it stands to reason they will express how they fell in such a way. Why is Simon Smith making us try to swim against the stream? Of course, it's totally okay for him to write articles containing his views which are published online though.....

If you think that I am being obtuse too - you’re kidding yourself, since the very next line removed from your quote is “A racist minority is still there in crowds at every club. They are mercifully few, but no one can no one can deny they still exist”

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Biz said:

If you think that I am being obtuse too - you’re kidding yourself, since the very next line removed from your quote is “A racist minority is still there in crowds at every club. They are mercifully few, but no one can no one can deny they still exist”

You're moving the goalposts pal. I'm not talking about that quote, so I'm not sure why you've brought it up?

I deplore racism and anyone expressing racist views, though I suspect you already know that.....

I'm talking about Simon Smith and the specific quote in bold and those 'observations' re how he feels the fans should behave.

14 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You're moving the goalposts pal. I'm not talking about that quote, so I'm not sure why you've brought it up?

I deplore racism and anyone expressing racist views, though I suspect you already know that.....

I'm talking about Simon Smith and the specific quote in bold and those 'observations' re how he feels the fans should behave.

Eh? 

As in they shouldn’t behave like keyboard warriors racially abusing the players in our own strip? I also think it’s quite obvious why the very next line of the article you had a problem is relevant. Course you aren’t racist, but that’s not the point - I only read it because you linked it, and I’m still not sure what is wrong with the article (bar the writer obv!)

Not related to football, but I notice a large number of articles on the LT about animal cruelty. There is an horrific one today about a bulldog puppy. Is it just that they report this stuff more than other papers or is there something in that particular part of the country with scumbags who do this? 

On 21/03/2019 at 14:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who indeed? 

In fairness Byrne was pretty poor when he was with us but if we were asking a number 10 to play cm he was hardly going to shine. More black marks all round for Clueless. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Who indeed? 

In fairness Byrne was pretty poor when he was with us but if we were asking a number 10 to play cm he was hardly going to shine. More black marks all round for Clueless. 

Thank goodness those days are behind us. :rolleyes:

On 22/03/2019 at 13:33, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not related to football, but I notice a large number of articles on the LT about animal cruelty. There is an horrific one today about a bulldog puppy. Is it just that they report this stuff more than other papers or is there something in that particular part of the country with scumbags who do this? 

I think you are barking up the wrong tree..

I abhor animal cruelty. I don't know if East Lancashire has a bigger problem than elsewhere or not but if the LT highlights it, then its performing an essential function of the media, which is holding up a mirror to its readers to show how our society is functioning.

Lack of respect for animals morphs into lack of respect for humans and its a sign of our somewhat depressing times.

I've never been a "hang em, flog em" type of person but the absurdly light penalties we hand out to people who neglect and torment animals makes my blood boil.

Sorry, rant over (cuddles up to West Highland Terrier!) :wub:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I abhor animal cruelty. I don't know if East Lancashire has a bigger problem than elsewhere or not but if the LT highlights it, then its performing an essential function of the media, which is holding up a mirror to its readers to show how our society is functioning.

Lack of respect for animals morphs into lack of respect for humans and its a sign of our somewhat depressing times.

I've never been a "hang em, flog em" type of person but the absurdly light penalties we hand out to people who neglect and torment animals makes my blood boil.

Sorry, rant over (cuddles up to West Highland Terrier!) :wub:

On 22/03/2019 at 13:33, Bigdoggsteel said:

Animal rights is a big issue these days due to the rise in veganism, therefore the media is just following current trends by covering more animal rights issues. 

I do always find it amazing that people get up in arms when a dog is killed like this despite the fact that pigs are asphyxiated and male chicks are ground up alive in macerators... Speciesism at its finest. 

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

I do always find it amazing that people get up in arms when a dog is killed like this despite the fact that pigs are asphyxiated and male chicks are ground up alive in macerators... Speciesism at its finest. 

You're absolutely right of course. We who love our pets often ignore the very real and mass cruelty that continues in the farming industry. Its out of sight but the clue is in the term"slaughter-house".

I try to help in my own little ways. I only eat red meat once a week, I only eat free range chicken, and we only buy free-range eggs. I also contribute monthly to animal protection societies and I sign all the petitions they send me and write to MP's regularly on specific issues they present to me. I only eat free range pork as well.

All pathetically inadequate I know but I'm getting too old to change any more substantially.

I do have faith in the younger people though and the way veganism continues to take off and I do believe that global warming and population growth will, in time, end many of the most objectionable practices in the food industry.

In the meantime I have to live with myself as best I can in the knowledge that my various efforts are pathetically inadequate.

• Like 3

When a chicken can sniff out cancer, find bombs and missing children, tackle burglars and lick my balls on a Saturday night then they might just start getting the news space they deserve. 

I'm a vegetarian but if we're being honest chickens need to up their game

Hmm ... Do we want people in India to

A)  Eat more chicken fuelling the mass culling but enabling a football club to sign more Bradley Dacks and waste more on human donkeys and long term gambles and continue giving agents license to print money ?

or

B ) Stop eating them altogether ending the slaughter and cruel farming practises, make the producers go bust thus (hopefully) freeing a football club from their vice like death grip ????

Tough one !

9 hours ago, Neal said:

Animal rights is a big issue these days due to the rise in veganism, therefore the media is just following current trends by covering more animal rights issues. 

I would say it's more to do with more clueless scumbags around than veganism, but I take your point that the issues are front and center now, which is great imo. I abhor animal cruelty. 

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hmm ... Do we want people in India to

A)  Eat more chicken fuelling the mass culling but enabling a football club to sign more Bradley Dacks and waste more on human donkeys and long term gambles and continue giving agents license to print money ?

or

B ) Stop eating them altogether ending the slaughter and cruel farming practises, make the producers go bust thus (hopefully) freeing a football club from their vice like death grip ????

Tough one !

BBBBBBBBBBB!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Mattyblue said:

‘Hindsight is 20/20’

I.e. I slagged off all you lot for not ‘trusting Tony’ , turns out I was wrong, you were right.

Hindsight is great. Which perhaps suggests there should be less vehement condemnation of people voicing legitimate concerns at this time knowing that those people could be proven right in the coming weeks/months.

Any man and his dog could see in January that we were taking a risk by allowing players to leave and not signing new ones. Unfortunately a lot fell for the old story of 'we'll wait until the summer to do our business, January is a difficult/expensive time' etc. etc.

Interesting that Simon Smith mentions the £7 million 'investment' in Ben Brereton and then in his very next sentence claims that given our resources we were punching above our weight. How many other clubs have been able to spend £7 million on a player not ready to play?

Making out as though our good results in January were reason to think we could get from February to May without sustaining injuries/suspensions - wrong - the results in January were immaterial - we either needed to keep cover in Downing/Wharton or sign cover to replace them. Whether we'd won 10 on the bounce or lost 10 on the bounce, the logic of going into 3 months of matches with no cover for injuries was madness.

As it happens I don't believe Mowbray was entirely responsible. Given he has signed Rodwell as his back-up CB and attempted to convert Derrick Williams and Ryan Nyambe into CBs he clearly has to shoulder some of the blame. I think he over estimates his own tactical acumen and coaching ability and makes things more complicated than they need to be at times. Nonetheless I suspect one of the reasons for allowing those players out on loan was financial - to get a few bodies out the building and raise a few quid over a few months until the summer - and that in an ideal world with carte blanche Mowbray would have held one or two back but was under pressure from upstairs to let a few off the wage bill.

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Hindsight is 20/20’

I.e. I slagged off all you lot for not ‘trusting Tony’ , turns out I was wrong, you were right.

Ah, that old classic, file alongside "it's easy to say in retrospect". No, sometimes it's just obvious from very early on and misguided/blind loyalty causes people to come up with all kinds of excuses to try and justify an opinion that seems at odds with reality. We've already had some great ones for TM, including Brereton being brought in over his head (despite TM himself saying it was his decision) and the much bewailed injury crisis which could obviously in no way have been averted by signing a defender in January and not letting one of our only genuine CB's go out on loan with no recall option.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Being smug after a defeat. What an absolute goon. 

He's basically a paid troll. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I understand a lot of that message. We are where we probably should be and we're living within in our means.

But to effectively say 'Don't question 4 points out of 30 because other teams would be happy with where we are' is silly talk. Fans have every right to question a really poor run; neglecting issues as with anything leads to further decline. 

It shows the contradictory nature of this club these days when people pap on about our resources, size, crowds and all that then go on about the 7 million Brereton either being a good future investment or a complete waste of resources.

Clubs of limited means desperately trying to keep punching their weight do not 'invest' 7 mill over several years in a 19 year old with no real pedigree who may or may not come good in 2 or 3 years time !  Then invest virtually nothing else to try and help guarantee it punching its weight in the meantime.

We are either a skint club on a limited budget relying on cheap signings and kids for a stability model or we are a modest sized club of sound means with wealthy owners investing wisely as we go along with a plan to be a big club again in a few years.

Simple as that really, can't have it both ways to suit your newspaper articles or whatever mood you're in.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Don Said said:

I understand a lot of that message. We are where we probably should be and we're living within in our means.

But to effectively say 'Don't question 4 points out of 30 because other teams would be happy with where we are' is silly talk. Fans have every right to question a really poor run; neglecting issues as with anything leads to further decline. 

I understand none of his 'message'. We aren't living within our means, we're spending £7m on a kid at the same time as recording a £17m loss. I bet Mowbray can't believe his luck. 

Edited by blueboy3333

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Astonishing.

He slagged off fans for pointing out the glaring holes at the time. Now “we can all see”!

Trouble is, this kind of fan is only ever bold in hindsight. Wonder where he stands on Mowbray’s future prospects. I expect “Trust Tony” until we as in a relegation battle next season - which we will be without upgrades. (And it’s a key distinction: first team upgrades are required, not squad reinforcements).

• Like 1

The LT are on the case now after Mowbray waxed on about new signings basically saying it might be 5 or 6 with seemingly one for every position.  We know exactly what that means, back ups, punts and a couple of Prem loan kids again. The PR machine is cranked up and on the road again.

Throwing numbers around is one thing but backing it up with anything decent is another the focus already seems on how many rather that what.  We'll be fed this line relentlessly now but anyone with half a brain knows we won't be signing half a new team of starters....apart from you know who !

I'm dreading summer already.

Edited by tomphil

On 05/04/2019 at 05:18, Stuart said:

Astonishing.

He slagged off fans for pointing out the glaring holes at the time. Now “we can all see”!

Trouble is, this kind of fan is only ever bold in hindsight. Wonder where he stands on Mowbray’s future prospects. I expect “Trust Tony” until we as in a relegation battle next season - which we will be without upgrades. (And it’s a key distinction: first team upgrades are required, not squad reinforcements).

Very common for a post to be mocked, then what you predicted comes true!. At that point you're told "its easy with hindsight"!!

• Like 3