BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Game: Reading Away

Just now, Gav said:

This isn't a game of championship manager.......

Mowbrays arrival has probably earned us just enough points to keep us up, If Coyle had stayed we'd be down already, so he has improved us.

It is very close. As I team, I don't think he's improved us much, certainly not defensively, which is our biggest weakness.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a look at the match stats on the BBC which shows us at 52% possession with 11 shots but just 2 on target and 5 corners....and yet lose 3-1.

The % of our possession against Reading on their turf suprises me.

Stats stats and more damned lies..............

It shows that if you make very basic defensive errors whilst also having Rovers worst ever keeper that stats mean sfa.

Just now, RV Blue said:

It is very close. As I team, I don't think he's improved us much, certainly not defensively, which is our biggest weakness.

How much improvement do you think he could have made in 4 weeks? aside from results which he's certainly improved?

He's not going to turn the current defense into Bayern Munichs thats for sure.

Just now, philipl said:

Just seen the goals and Rovers' was  really sweet strike.

Steele horribly at fault for their 2nd and 3rd. Just horrible...

Steele has cost us a lot of points over this season. Whatever league we are in next season he has to go.

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

How much improvement do you think he could have made in 4 weeks? aside from results which he's certainly improved?

He's not going to turn the current defense into Bayern Munichs thats for sure.

At the very least I would have expected us to be more organised, we haven't been so far.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let's be honest here. I've been watching Rovers for over 50 years and a lot of the current players would get into my all time Rovers worst 11. When we were in the next level down years ago the standard of players was infinitely better. I said when we appointed Coyle we would be certs for relegation and we look to have left it too late to fire him.

Whilst I don't think any blame whatsoever attaches to Mowbray should we go down, I completely disagree that he came in too late to save us.

He had, and still has, enough time to save us if he can get the formula right. We started well under him tightening up defensively and scrapping out ugly wins. Recently we seem to have lost much of our attacking impetus whilst reverting back to conceding too many goals.

If we can get back to being hard to score against whilst showing slightly more attacking intentwe've every chance. If Mowbray can't find the right balance it's unlikely a appointing him a few weeks earlier would have made much difference, the new manager bounce would just have occurred that much earlier.

Just now, nathan_rovers1 said:

The issue is that Coyle was so inept at his job that he has completely screwed it up. There  was no foundation at the club before he was rightly given the boot and to go from that and I believe TM is trying to implement a structure yet he has only been here a month.

Mowbray is pretty much blameless. He hasn't constructed the squad or really had any hope of moulding them. All down to determination, fitness, pride and ability- it's evident most of that is lacking in most.

It says everything about the abysmal quality of the recruitment last summer that two of the centre backs signed are so old, slow and permanently crocked that they are hardly regarded as options to replace the two first choices (neither of whom were even first choices at the start of the season). 

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Steele has cost us a lot of points over this season. Whatever league we are in next season he has to go.

Rovers had a reserve keeper in the late 60's: short, portly, balding head, wore a green flat cap on the odd occasion he played in the first team, also had a barbers shop on Bolton Road, he was absolute garbage, Joe Barton (?) Jason Steele makes him look like Peter Schmichael.

Where Brad gained us 15 points a season, Steele costs us 20 and gains us 5.

Put Raya in now!

Remember him only too well - John Barton's mistakes cost promotion back to Div 1 in 1966/67 and he was replaced by Adam Blacklaw (better but not good) in summer 67 while hanging around for several more seasons. 

John Barton got his pies from the same shop as John Bray - both big Wigan lads except the latter could play. Barton was awful - with his size and ineptitude he wouldn't be a pro these days. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

John Barton got his pies from the same shop as John Bray - both big Wigan lads except the latter could play. Barton was awful - with his size and ineptitude he wouldn't be a pro these days. 

And Steele....? might not eat many pies but.....

5 hours ago, RV Blue said:

That fact that we were still within touching distance when Coyle left says a lot though, doesn't it? Mowbray pure and simply hasn't improved us (yet) and considering who he took over from, it is worrying.

TM has 10 points from 8 games, averaging 1.25 points per game. Over a season that would work out at 57.5 points. Easily enough to keep us up. Considering the mess he inherited I'd say he's done ok really.

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Do you think TM has the courage to put in Raya for the rest of the season?

I wonder what the defence should look like for Barnsley and Easter games, presuming Lenihan and Mulgrew are out.

Raya; Nyambe, Greer, Ward/ Brown, Williams. Can Wharton be brought back? Is Platt good enough to step up?

What about Jack Doyle with Williams in front of him (i.e.in left midfield)?

47 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really don't think it is the time to start throwing in players who have never played first team football before. 

No your right, just like we shouldn't have half a squad of players with no allegiance to the club whatsoever, who can bugger off back from whence they came at the end of the season without a buy your leave.

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Problem is the cuts Chaddy. Every year of Venkys has seen the quality of the squad decline.

Why won't it be different next season?

"Things are going to get worse"

"There's no proof of that - you're being negative"

*Something bad happens*

"Now do you see?"

"Easy in hindsight"

Rinse, repeat, revenky.

5 hours ago, alcd said:

It says everything about the abysmal quality of the recruitment last summer that two of the centre backs signed are so old, slow and permanently crocked that they are hardly regarded as options to replace the two first choices (neither of whom were even first choices at the start of the season). 

More shocking stuff from Coyle or whoever was bringing guys in trying to replace two 24 year old international centre halves with two old has beens. Forget a couple of decent signings as the waste he foisted on the club cancels them out as they make virtually no contribution yet swallow up a load of wages from an already skint club.

What damage he did to an already damaged club.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really don't think it is the time to start throwing in players who have never played first team football before. 

Can you give is some examples? which players are you referring to?

Jay McEveley v David Beckham?

Archived