BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Game: Reading Away

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McClarky said:

We're probably better off just going down. At least then we can tackle next season head on with a thought that we might be competitive in the 3rd division. That's my theory anyway and I'm up for us going diown.

The thought of Rovers in the 3rd division, with these idiots in charge is unbearable. There's no way we'd come back up whilst they're here and god knows where we'd end up. We really, really need to stay up this season.

15 minutes ago, booth said:

I'm judging it off having a morale sapping 3 defeats on the trot. As someone else said on here I don't like the idea of going into the game against Bristol behind them.

It is not how, you have done in the last 3 games , that matters...It is how you do in the next one !

Just now, wolfie said:

The thought of Rovers in the 3rd division, with these idiots in charge is unbearable. There's no way we'd come back up whilst they're here and god knows where we'd end up. We really, really need to stay up this season.

We really , really need Venkys to go !

I went to the game tonight and I think the first half was the worst first half I have ever seem Blackburn play in all the away games I have been to. The team just seemed lost. For me Conway has to stay way way way clear of the starting 11, how many chances he has squandered at the Fulham game and now Reading I lost count. Our squad is slowly turning into slim pickings but the most frustrating is our offensive play we seem to try and do an arsenal which is pass our into the box or hoof it. If that doesn't work we try to do a Steven Reid reenactment by shooting from god knows how many yards.

Players that did not impress me tonight were, Steele (Jesus he should have stopped McCleary shot), Bennett (Other than his goal just didn't try to take on his man), Conway (Over complicates and thinks he is Messi).

The Barnsley game is very very winnable for me. 

I would go with....

---------Steele------

Nyambe--Hoban--(Whoever)--Williams

Mahoney (needs to start)---Lowe---Guthrie--Feeney

--------------Emnes----------

-----------Joao---------------

Sigh... Big sigh.

Real missed opportunity tonight.  1st half we were dreadful, though worryingly not for the want if trying, we were just not good enough.  

Mowbry was brave using the remaining substitutions at H/T and it nearly paid off which a much, much improved 2nd half. Play like that again we have a chance of staying up.

Steele again has cost us.  Surely we can find some Sunday League div 3 or 4 keeper before the weekend, might be a better prospect? I am only half joking.

1 hour ago, funny-old-game said:

Don't tell Rev, then again he needs telling as he is about as football savvy as lily Savage.

Ha. Very good.

Lily Savage would probably have performed better as manager here and left the squad in better shape for this season than Lambert did though.

Have the players given up ? To judge from the way they trudged off at the end with barely a glance at our travelling fans the body language says they are resigned to relegation. Did the Preston game affect them badly? I have to say our fans were pretty sudued too. 

Mowbray has alot to answer for tonight. He picked a very negative starting XI that sat back (Gallagher is hopeless on his own up front) and invited Reading to attack. The goals came from free headers from the right with Nyambe outmanouevred for the crosses and Hoban and Lenihan badly out of position in the middle.

They were both soft goals and the third was even worse with Steeley at fault just after Feeney gave us a glimmer of hope.

Mowbray has had time now to get our defence sorted out but we continue to give away easy goals. I'm afraid Hoban and Lenihan aren't a patch on Duffy and Hanley and are one of the main reasons we concede so many goals

Joao and Emnes made a big difference for about about 15-20 mins at the start of the second half and we were unlucky not to score. Japp Stamm is a good manager though and shifted his team around to nullify the threat of Jaoa in particular.

All in all, a depressing night made worse by a very long journey home including hold-ups on the motorway. 

Will we stay up? It's on a knife edge but I've thought since the start of the season we'd go down and tonight I have to say we looked a relegation outfit. 

Thanks for the report jim, JPT and roverstdt it's always good to read from those who were at the match.

Reading TMs pre-match presser in the LT he seemed unsure how to setup to try to nullify Readings high possession game.  Not TMs fault given the squad he injerited.

Let's hope Toon do a number on Burton to tonight and TM can get our players motivated come Saturday.

Not happy, getting home at 4am after suffering that dreadful performance. Shocking first half, I don't know if that was down to Mulgrew getting stretchered off but we were well off the pace.

Gallagher gave the ball away three times in the first three minutes, that seemed to set the tone for the night.

Although we improved after the break we only created a couple of clear cut chances which were squandered, whereas they should have had at least another three from easy chances.

Steele seems to cost us at least one goal every game, tonight it seemed like two.

I'm too angry to fall asleep.

Just now, AggyBlue said:

Not happy, getting home at 4am after suffering that dreadful performance. Shocking first half, I don't know if that was down to Mulgrew getting stretchered off but we were well off the pace.

Gallagher gave the ball away three times in the first three minutes, that seemed to set the tone for the night.

Although we improved after the break we only created a couple of clear cut chances which were squandered, whereas they should have had at least another three from easy chances.

Steele seems to cost us at least one goal every game, tonight it seemed like two.

I'm too angry to fall asleep.

I've just got up and discovered the result.

Not surprised and would've been amazed had we got a result.

At least other results went our way and we're still in touch. Given the sequence we had ahead of us a few weeks ago, I would probably have settled for the current table.

Three points badly needed on Saturday, or the writing will be firmly on the wall.

Just seen the highlights on youtube.

Steele is at fault for 2 of the goals. Over the course of a season Steele mistakes will be a major factor in a relegation. He is by far the worst that I have seen at Rovers. There is nothing about him that is natural for a keeper. How the feck he made it in the profession beats me.

Joao looked like he missed a good chance from a cross. Good goal by Rovers.

If you feel like a laugh have a look at Derby v Fulham highlights on youtube. I'll say no more no spoilers.

Thanks to those who went and reviewed on here, awful drive midweek to watch this squad of players. Just watched the highlights, so much room and time given for all the goals, players just strolling back, two players pulling Nyambe to pieces and don't get me started on Steele for two of the goals!!!

I've still to make my mind up whether this is a poor squad or a squad that has been sent spiralling into a rut by the previous management. Let's be honest we can barely pick a player of the season!

I thought the first half was as poor as we have been under Mowbray.  We set off looking for a point but the injury to Mulgrew and the early goal torpedoed that plan.  The injury to Lenihan was another blow but the bold move to use both the remaining subs at the start of the second half led to an improved display.  Like Mercer, I've always believed the last six games would decide our fate.  Still think we may need twelve points but we certainly will need ten or eleven.  The second half gives me hope that we have the attacking players to see off the likes of Barnsley and Bristol but if Mulgrew and Lenihan are out for the majority of the remaining games then I fear the worst. 

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I thought the first half was as poor as we have been under Mowbray.  We set off looking for a point but the injury to Mulgrew and the early goal torpedoed that plan.  The injury to Lenihan was another blow but the bold move to use both the remaining subs at the start of the second half led to an improved display.  Like Mercer, I've always believed the last six games would decide our fate.  Still think we may need twelve points but we certainly will need ten or eleven.  The second half gives me hope that we have the attacking players to see off the likes of Barnsley and Bristol but if Mulgrew and Lenihan are out for the majority of the remaining games then I fear the worst. 

Fair comments there Parson

I decided not to write anything last night as I was furious and with a few beers in me I probably would not have been particularly nice.

The first half was rubbish, as in really really really rubbish! Steele should have saved one of the goals ( at least)

Second half was good, we attacked and looked strong going forward- the issue was is that after poor defending we were always chasing the game! It doesn't work with Gally playing up top my himself, I am not sure if he even won a long ball passed to him in the air.

Joa and Emnes looked brilliant when they came on, really lifted the team.

Last night to sum up, we just did not get going and were the masters of our downfall, however with Brighton and Reading I was not  expecting very much and that has proven to be the case. Saturday is an absolute MUST WIN! We need to make ourselves safe, rather than hoping that other teams keep loosing with us, need to take the initiative.

Fair play to the 468 fans who travelled to watch that game, wherever they came from.

Archived