BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There was a plan in place if we were relegated, like it or not. A new DOF coming in then would have muddled things up. Now is probably the best time IMO. 

Riggs CV is fair better than those you mention. He was also here during a time of real success and probably the best squad we had since winning the league. I would imagine the guy is no mug, if he has agreed to come back, he wont be risking his reputation. 

Didn't Paul Snr say he had a plan? An "a-list" and a "b-list" depending on whether we survived or got relegated. That would insinuate that the plan at the club was made by Senior and the subsequent firing of him meant the plan had to be rewritten. Why would a new Director of Football coming in after the former had been fired "muddle" things up when evidently the plan had to be changed at that moment anyway?

Secondly, Senior aside, how is Riggs CV better than Williams & Myers? Rovers aside Riggs career has been largely unremarkable and some of his decisions at Fulham lead to their demise. Everything JHRovers has said is true, again. It is a bizarre decision to get rid of our DoF, hand all responsibilities over to your manager during the off season and then when things aren't running smoothly appoint a DoF when the transfer window is closed. Talk about a lack of faith. Once again the clueless chancers that have infested our club have reared their ugly little heads with this swerve ball decision.

And, once again, you seem hell bent on defending anything that comes out of the club even though all logical reasoning suggests this isn't a good decision at all. Not as if you have ever let logic get in the way of your posts though eh.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

They're top of the league with a manager at the top of his game. We aren't and haven't. He can start coming out with that nonsense when he's 10 points clear.

On the same tack, he's now blaming the players for Saturdays performance. It's not the first time either. How a man who refuses to play our most effective attacking option when we struggle to break teams down can accuse his team of not being 'brave enough' is beyond me.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15554996.Tony_Mowbray_felt_Rovers_weren_t_brave_enough_on_the_ball_in_the_draw_at_Shrewsbury_Town/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

I read the first few paragraphs and thought heads will roll for tomorrow. However reading further I think for tomorrow he will stick with the majority who have supplied ineptitude and fragility in the last couple of games.

Just now, arbitro said:

I read the first few paragraphs and thought heads will roll for tomorrow. However reading further I think for tomorrow he will stick with the majority who have supplied ineptitude and fragility in the last couple of games.

There's a lot of love for Graham in his quotes, and the rest of the players be damned!

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Didn't Paul Snr say he had a plan? An "a-list" and a "b-list" depending on whether we survived or got relegated. That would insinuate that the plan at the club was made by Senior and the subsequent firing of him meant the plan had to be rewritten. Why would a new Director of Football coming in after the former had been fired "muddle" things up when evidently the plan had to be changed at that moment anyway?

Secondly, Senior aside, how is Riggs CV better than Williams & Myers? Rovers aside Riggs career has been largely unremarkable and some of his decisions at Fulham lead to their demise. Everything JHRovers has said is true, again. It is a bizarre decision to get rid of our DoF, hand all responsibilities over to your manager during the off season and then when things aren't running smoothly appoint a DoF when the transfer window is closed. Talk about a lack of faith. Once again the clueless chancers that have infested our club have reared their ugly little heads with this swerve ball decision.

And, once again, you seem hell bent on defending anything that comes out of the club even though all logical reasoning suggests this isn't a good decision at all. Not as if you have ever let logic get in the way of your posts though eh.

Why would we change the plan at the last minute if Senior left? I am sure he didn't have the plan in his little notebook, not allowing anyone else to see. 

How is bringing an experienced football person in such a hurtful and irritating decision for you? I would say no matter who we got in, you would find a problem. You also seem to jump to a lot of conclusions and assumptions from 1 Nixon tweet.

What logical reasoning is saying it isn't a good appointment? Yours? lol. I wouldn't describe that as logical.  Don't respond to me posts then, nobody is forcing you to. 

Just now, Athlete said:

Totally different club these days if Rigg does his homework there's a good chance he'll swerve us 

Unlikely. If he's not earning at the moment then he would probably quite fancy the chance to return to club football on a very healthy salary for what might well be a part time or temporary short term job.

Nobody will blame him if it ends in disaster. His reputation won't really take much damage and adding a basket case club to his CV might even strengthen it.

I doubt Senior ended up out of pocket after his 5 month stint playing the game. Probably always a temporary arrangement anyway. A decent wage, free publicity and another club on the CV, can see the appeal.

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well at the minute Rigg is here as an advisor on part time basis and not as DoF. 

At the minute Mowbray is here and getting on with the job. 

Do we need a new DoF? Depends on what his role is and what he is in charge of. 

I know you're busy chaddy but there's a meeting tonight 7pm at Ewood Park WMC just in case you didn't know.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why would we change the plan at the last minute if Senior left? I am sure he didn't have the plan in his little notebook, not allowing anyone else to see. 

How is bringing an experienced football person in such a hurtful and irritating decision for you? I would say no matter who we got in, you would find a problem. You also seem to jump to a lot of conclusions and assumptions from 1 Nixon tweet.

What logical reasoning is saying it isn't a good appointment? Yours? lol. I wouldn't describe that as logical.  Don't respond to me posts then, nobody is forcing you to. 

Every boardroom appointment they have made since 2010 with the possible exceptions of Agnew and Singh has in theory been 'good'. The reason I say that is that prior to these appointments we seem to have a power vacuum and a complete lack of authority or communication at the top of the club, so naturally anyone with any reputation in the game turning up as a board member is welcomed as making progress and a sign things are being put right.

Not one of those people has been able to get on with the job of sorting this club out. The closest was Derek Shaw, who at the very least was an experienced administrator who stuck around for a couple of years. Other than that the average tenure has been less than 12 months before resignation or sudden departure in strange circumstances. For Rigg please refer to John Williams, Tom Finn, Paul Hunt, Simon Hunt, Derek Shaw, Alan Myers, Paul Senior. Seen it all before.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

1. Paul Snr was the DoF. Paul Snr alludes to two lists of targets he has lined up depending on our end of season performance. Paul Snr gets fired. Paul Snrs plan no longer in motion. Ipso facto the plan changes.

2. It's not hurtful. It's the manner in which it has been done. The timing is terrible and all the talk of TM being in charge has now well and truly been downplayed, if the rumour is true. I'm not jumping to any conclusion from 1 tweet at all. Should Rigg be appointed everything I have said is true; it's a clear lack of confidence in TM, the timing is terrible and Rigg hardly inspires confidence with what went on at Fulham. I'm not going to find an issue with every single person we bring in (I'm questioning why you'd say that as since Paul Snr, or even before him, who else have we brought in at board level?) but I will look at it with a sense of realism and not simply agree with it for the sake of agreeing.

3. Everything suggests this is a strange decision. It's come totally out of the blue and has addressed a position that doesn't need addressing in typical Venky fashion. How about appointing a managing director before appointing a man with an uninspiring CV into a role that hasn't worked for us in the past? Nonsense.

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

The players do need to start putting performances in, I agree. However, the manager loses credibility when he accuses others of the same cowardice he displays himself with his teams selections.

I really don't like TM's pre game comments such as "this is going to be a tough game" or something similar which he comes out with nearly every week. Then when the players don't perform well he wonders why, I just wish he would stop saying how tough the opposition is and what a well drilled outfit they are before games as it is the exact opposite of motivation.

The fault is not just on the field it's squarely upon his shoulders.

14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

The players do need to start putting performances in, I agree. However, the manager loses credibility when he accuses others of the same cowardice he displays himself with his teams selections.

Mowbray has made multiple formation and drastic lineup changes, so although they haven't worked out half the time this season, accusing him of being a coward is plain wrong. To Mowbray's credit, he's not afraid to do what he thinks is right, and change it, and try again. I've got no problem at all with him doing that - he's the expert, not me - as long as he's pragmatic whenever his ideas don't work out.

I wonder if you would call Mowbray a coward to his face? And what would the word be for that, if you didn't? :huh:

Just now, Phil T said:

Mowbray has made multiple formation and drastic lineup changes, so although they haven't worked out half the time this season, accusing him of being a coward is plain wrong.

That's desperation not bravery. Playing 1 up front at home to Doncaster is cowardly.

Just now, Phil T said:

I've got no problem at all with him doing that - he's the expert, not me - as long as he's pragmatic whenever his ideas don't work out.

His ideas have not worked out twice now at home. Out of three. We'll see how we go tomorrow. Making the same mistakes over and over again is not the definirion of pragamatic.

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

I wonder if you would call Mowbray a coward to his face? And what would the word be for that, if you didn't? :huh:

I'd certainly say it to his face. And I said his team selections displayed cowardice. Learn to read.

18 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

1. Paul Snr was the DoF. Paul Snr alludes to two lists of targets he has lined up depending on our end of season performance. Paul Snr gets fired. Paul Snrs plan no longer in motion. Ipso facto the plan changes.

2. It's not hurtful. It's the manner in which it has been done. The timing is terrible and all the talk of TM being in charge has now well and truly been downplayed, if the rumour is true. I'm not jumping to any conclusion from 1 tweet at all. Should Rigg be appointed everything I have said is true; it's a clear lack of confidence in TM, the timing is terrible and Rigg hardly inspires confidence with what went on at Fulham. I'm not going to find an issue with every single person we bring in (I'm questioning why you'd say that as since Paul Snr, or even before him, who else have we brought in at board level?) but I will look at it with a sense of realism and not simply agree with it for the sake of agreeing.

3. Everything suggests this is a strange decision. It's come totally out of the blue and has addressed a position that doesn't need addressing in typical Venky fashion. How about appointing a managing director before appointing a man with an uninspiring CV into a role that hasn't worked for us in the past? Nonsense.

1-How do you know that the plan didn't change? Most players we signed had worked with Mowbray before or played well against his teams(Mowbrays actual words) 

2-How is it a lack of confidence in TM? Is that not jumping to a wild conclusion as you don't even know what Riggs role will be yet? 

3-You don't know what position he will take up, again you are jumping to conclusions, so don't say that you aren't. As for an uninspiring CV, It looks pretty good for a League 1 club appointment to me, whatever role he takes up https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-rigg-131a7478/?ppe=1

I think a lot of the falling out difference of opinion etc etc on here is deep down we all know BRFC can't sustain league one especially with our outgoings running costs etc no matter who owns the club.. Now promotion is a must this season but at this point we're nowhere near.. OK still early doors but even for a non football man like cheston alarm bells must be sounding so if TMs not the man get someone else in or give it to johno forget a DOF/advisor or whatever title another gravy train rider is given its just an added on cost making out outgoings for a League one club even higher.. 

Personally I'd give TM the next few weeks to at least get us in the play off places failing that it'd have to be time to roll the dice... 

16 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's desperation not bravery. Playing 1 up front at home to Doncaster is cowardly.

It depends what the tactics are, doesn't it? Many top teams have just one up front. Playing two up front doesn't mean you are cowardly. You're being extremely harsh.

17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

His ideas have not worked out twice now at home. Out of three. We'll see how we go tomorrow. Making the same mistakes over and over again is not the definirion of pragamatic.

Mowbray's problem is that he doesn't know his best formation and best XI to go with it. The players are clearly lost when the formation isn't simple, and they're being played out of position. I think Mowbray has to keep it simple... Let the players think about the football, rather than strange instructions in positions they aren't familiar with. Mowbray has to take responsibility for that, and I think we'll see a huge shake-up for the game against Rotherham - back to basics.

20 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'd certainly say it to his face. And I said his team selections displayed cowardice. Learn to read.

What an odd thing to say. "I think you displayed harshness, but you're not harsh." Yeah... Doesn't really work, does it? Let's keep it simple. You think Mowbray is a coward. I think you're rotten for calling him that.

26 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Mowbray has made multiple formation and drastic lineup changes, so although they haven't worked out half the time this season, accusing him of being a coward is plain wrong. To Mowbray's credit, he's not afraid to do what he thinks is right, and change it, and try again. I've got no problem at all with him doing that - he's the expert, not me - as long as he's pragmatic whenever his ideas don't work out.

I agree about the formation changes but the personnel hasn't changed too much in league games. And therein lies one of the issues for me. Players who perform poorly over a few games should be left out but Mowbray has shown a little too much patience with some of them. I will give him some praise for his use of substitutes which I think have generally had a positive effect on games.

How many players have we signed over the past 7 years who don't make any sense whatsoever? Why? With an extremely limited budget this year why did we sign Dack and Whittingham and not see fit to start them? Why? Following in a long line of Murphy, Etuhu, Best, the Celtic prick etc, etc (it's a bloody long list if you think)

A blind man with no football experience knew what was required to get out of this league, yet those supposedly professional employees, TM at the helm, ignore the bloody obvious. It's so infuriating. I've said all along this season that there has never been a slightest flicker of a team with promotion credentials, not one. Anyone who says differently is deluded.

I know they pay the bills but why oh why can they never learn or ever see any sense?

Just now, Phil T said:

It depends what the tactics are, doesn't it? Many top teams have just one up front. Playing two up front doesn't mean you are cowardly. You're being extremely harsh.

You obviously didn't see the Doncaster game. There was no Rovers player within 20 yards of Danny Graham. Not brave enough with his team selections. Just like he said about the players.

Just now, Phil T said:

What an odd thing to say. "I think you displayed harshness, but you're not harsh." Yeah... Doesn't really work, does it?

It's the same as Mowbray saying the players weren't 'brave enough'. Using your logic that means he is saying they are all cowards. I was just saying his team selections were cowardly, not that he was as an individual.

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

I think you're rotten for calling him that.

Don't invent something and then call me 'rotten' on the back of it. I think that's called 'flaming' and is against forum rules.

47 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

I know you're busy chaddy but there's a meeting tonight 7pm at Ewood Park WMC just in case you didn't know.

Yeah I did know but Im at work tonight so thats I can tomorrow night off to go football without using a holiday. 

But thanks for letting us know

Wow. Very worrying comments from the manager. 

“When you are playing against a team like Shrewsbury who are strong and athletic in midfield and break and run it’s difficult to play passes in your own half and play balls along the floor.

“We were going to go that bit longer, past their strength, but it came from the wrong areas of the pitch, too many straight long balls on to their centre halves’ heads, despite the work we had done on the week."

So we spend money on creative players like Dack, Chapman, Whittingham but resort to hoof ball against the mighty Shrewsbury. Sounds like TM was actually pleased with Graham's contribution, unbelievable. 

Cracks starting to show.

8 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

How many players have we signed over the past 7 years who don't make any sense whatsoever? Why? With an extremely limited budget this year why did we sign Dack and Whittingham and not see fit to start them? Why? Following in a long line of Murphy, Etuhu, Best, the Celtic prick etc, etc (it's a bloody long list if you think)

A blind man with no football experience knew what was required to get out of this league, yet those supposedly professional employees, TM at the helm, ignore the bloody obvious. It's so infuriating. I've said all along this season that there has never been a slightest flicker of a team with promotion credentials, not one. Anyone who says differently is deluded.

I know they pay the bills but why oh why can they never learn or ever see any sense?

Dack started until he got injured. I would be surprised if he doesn't start again Tuesday. 

Every player in your "long line list" made sense before they actually came here. Now if you named the mystery Portuguese men, you would have a point. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Half the fans are saying this is what he should be saying as opposed to building the opposition up. He really can't win

Actually, he can.

By winning football matches and taking the highest paid squad into the automatic promotion places.

We can (and will) sit here and pick apart everything he says and does whilst we languish in mid table of league one.

If we were sat top of the league, he can say whatever he likes, no one will really have much of a comeback.

20 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'm not totally sure whether managers get to sign who they'd like here or whether they get presented with client lists to pick from for the most part. You can have a couple of your own as long as you bring the rest in via us type thing.

Jackpot for Rigg. Come in, spend all your time making plans for January, decide to wait until the summer instead, get sacked before the end of the season, payoff and go elsewhere. The Blackburn Rovers gravy train continues.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Actually, he can.

By winning football matches and taking the highest paid squad into the automatic promotion places.

We can (and will) sit here and pick apart everything he says and does whilst we languish in mid table of league one.

If we were sat top of the league, he can say whatever he likes, no one will really have much of a comeback.

And is he not entitled to give the players a public kick up the arse to achieve that? 

Archived