BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 2017/18

14 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Not sure tbh, but if chaddy says 2 I don't doubt him. There are some really poor sides in that premier league. To muster 1 win in 14 with anybodys players is pretty poor imo

I think there’s something very rotten at Stoke just now. Needs a clean slate.

Very much sum up the PL for me. Massively over-paid, ridiculously expensive mediocre players, with agents laughing their socks off. The sooner the money balloon bursts the better.

Just now, Stuart said:

I think there’s something very rotten at Stoke just now. Needs a clean slate.

Very much sum up the PL for me. Massively over-paid, ridiculously expensive mediocre players, with agents laughing their socks off. The sooner the money balloon bursts the better.

You are right, the club needs a massive clearout of the playing squad. 

Have you read the link ive posted?

24 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Not sure tbh, but if chaddy says 2 I don't doubt him. There are some really poor sides in that premier league. To muster 1 win in 14 with anybodys players is pretty poor imo

He signed a left back on loan Stafylidis and midfielder Ndiaye. 

Mark Hughes record in his last 14 games werent much better points wise but defensively they were worse under Hughes than Lambert

2 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

You say stoke are better tactically under lambert, yet they had a better points per game ratio under hughes than under lambert.

1 win in 14 is pretty bad tactics no matter how you dress it up

Pretty bad? That’s atrocious. 

Awful appointment. A managers job mid season is to improve the players available to him and give them some confidence. What has Lambert actually done?? Facts are that Moore at West Brom has shown what can be done, 1 in 14 or probably more pertinently 0 wins in 13 games. 

Edit 7.1% win percentage. Which manager in the history was worse? De Boer? Any other takers?

Edited by imy9
  • Like 1

The thing is bad managers always have excuses. 'The club was rotten' 'I wasn't given time' 'I needed more money' 'They weren't my players' etc etc etc

The good managers get on with it and win football games. Find a way to get the best out of bad eggs. Change attitudes, galvanise the troops so to speak

As someone said previously you couldn't get much worse than west brom, yet they change managers and he gets a tune out of the same players

With these bad ones, its always about how they and their agents can spin it and stay atop that luxurious managerial merry go round.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Awful appointment. A managers job mid season is to improve the players available to him and give them some confidence. What has Lambert actually done?? Facts are that Moore at West Brom has shown what can be done, 1 in 14 or probably more pertinently 0 wins in 13 games. 

Edit 7.1% win percentage. Which manager in the history was worse? De Boer? Any other takers?

There are a few with worse records, including Billy Davies and Paul Jewell but also, more notably, Mick McCarthy with 2 wins in 37 for Sunderland.

Davies had just got Derby promoted as well before his 1-win-in-14 record got him the bullet.

Maybe Lambert just isn’t a PL manager. No shame in that, a lot aren’t.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

The thing is bad managers always have excuses. 'The club was rotten' 'I wasn't given time' 'I needed more money' 'They weren't my players' etc etc etc

The good managers get on with it and win football games. Find a way to get the best out of bad eggs. Change attitudes, galvanise the troops so to speak

As someone said previously you couldn't get much worse than west brom, yet they change managers and he gets a tune out of the same players

With these bad ones, its always about how they and their agents can spin it and stay atop that luxurious managerial merry go round.

I still think it’s a PL player mentality. As soon as a club brings in big money I AMS it’s much more difficult to deal with them. Lower down the arrogant, bully manager will get results. Just look at Paul Ince at Macclesfield and MK.

1 hour ago, imy9 said:

Exactly. Lets not pretend that he had nothing to play with either, he had half a season, including over 10m i think spent in January, hes got Butland, Zouma, Shawcross, Martins Indi, Peiters, Shaqiri, Sobhi, Allen, Crouch, enough to at least win 2 or 3 games. Surely if Hughes wasnt doing enough to stay, Lambert with a worse record has even less of a right to stay.

All of these disciplinary issues seem to have got worse under him too. 

1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

Lambert has hid behind a few excuses at a few clubs in a row now, Villa, Rovers, Wolves and now Stoke, different excuses, same manager.

16 hours ago, Stuart said:

I still think it’s a PL player mentality. As soon as a club brings in big money I AMS it’s much more difficult to deal with them. Lower down the arrogant, bully manager will get results. Just look at Paul Ince at Macclesfield and MK.

Paul Cook?

Looking at the make up of the Championship it's strange as we won't have Cardiff but have pretty much got Swansea, we won't have Wolves but have West Bromwich. Two long trips to East Anglia and Norfolk beckon and potentially five trips to London if Fulham don't go up and Charlton do. Bristol is another hike but them aside most are accessible within two hours.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Looking at the make up of the Championship it's strange as we won't have Cardiff but have pretty much got Swansea, we won't have Wolves but have West Bromwich. Two long trips to East Anglia and Norfolk beckon and potentially five trips to London if Fulham don't go up and Charlton do. Bristol is another hike but them aside most are accessible within two hours.

At the very least the Rovers/Ipswich matches should be more entertaining this time around. Watching Gary Bowyer's Rovers play Mick McCarthy's Ipswich made me question whether I really did like football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

At the very least the Rovers/Ipswich matches should be more entertaining this time around. Watching Gary Bowyer's Rovers play Mick McCarthy's Ipswich made me question whether I really did like football.

Try supporting Rovers for the last 7 seasons(before this one) along with watching the Ireland national team managed 1st by Trapatonni and then O'Neill. 

As I am still here now, I can definitely say football is for life. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Try supporting Rovers for the last 7 seasons(before this one) along with watching the Ireland national team managed 1st by Trapatonni and then O'Neill. 

As I am still here now, I can definitely say football is for life. 

Fair enough, although in fairness England haven't had it much better! My only real memory of England from the 2010 world cup is wanting to put my fist through the TV as the commentator said "Emile Heskey is going to play on the right wing". 

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Stuart said:

How does these guys keep getting work?

There is a massive lack of young talent -or young talent being given a chance in favour of the old guard.

Because every time a job comes up the same old rhetoric gets mentioned ‘he knows the league, has promotion from league on cv’

Whilst it sometimes rings true (Warnock) for every one of those there’s a McClaren whilst young managers proving themselves in the lower leagues get ignored 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

McClaren set to replace Holloway at QPR

https://dailym.ai/2I34V27

Unbelievable. That's Hodgson, Moyes, Pardew, Carvalhal, Lambert and McClaren who have found work in the last twelve months. Some of them were bound to survive if only on the basis only three can go down.

I know a couple of QPR fans who are friends of a friend. Bet they're absolutely gutted.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Unbelievable. That's Hodgson, Moyes, Pardew, Carvalhal, Lambert and McClaren who have found work in the last twelve months. Some of them were bound to survive if only on the basis only three can go down.

I know a couple of QPR fans who are friends of a friend. Bet they're absolutely gutted.

Think Hodgson has proven that he has good club manager and deserve praise for getting Palace out of the relegation area plus has played some good football there

I agree Carvalhal being lucky to get the Swansea job after being sacked by Sheff Wednesday. After reading the news article I posted before I would be surprise if he is there next season. I wouldn't be surprise if Leon Britton and Alan Curtis are in charge of Swansea next season. 

On Moyes I think he done a good job at West Ham but from what I have read tonight it appears unlikely he will be there next season which I am very surprise by. Think he done the job he was bought in for and deserve at least another year contract there. 

Pardew was disaster at West Brom. 

Think its unfair on Lambert due to the problems within the club and recruitment policy there. I guess Lambert we will see how good he is next season at Stoke. He needs to produce next season and get them back up. but Stoke need a massive overhaul in the summer of players

Think McClaren gets a bit of unfair stick. Yes he failed horrifically at Newcastle but more relevant to his potential QPR appointment is his record at Derby County over two spells. In his first he took them to the play-off final in his first season, very unfortunate to lose to a last minute goal against 10 men, and in his second he had them going well for promotion until the wheels came off as he was being lined up to go to Newcastle. In his second spell he turned them around after a dreadful start to the season under Pearson where they were bottom of the league. Win %s of 53 and 44 in his two spells.

Not saying he's a brilliant manager but his record in the Championship at Derby is good, add on top of that he's worked at QPR before and can fit the 'head coach' structure and it strikes me as a half decent appointment. Trouble with QPR is that they still haven't learned lessons and still think changing manager every season is the way to success. Holloway was a strange appointment seemingly based more on his history with the club than his recent results.

Just now, JHRover said:

Think McClaren gets a bit of unfair stick. Yes he failed horrifically at Newcastle but more relevant to his potential QPR appointment is his record at Derby County over two spells. In his first he took them to the play-off final in his first season, very unfortunate to lose to a last minute goal against 10 men, and in his second he had them going well for promotion until the wheels came off as he was being lined up to go to Newcastle. In his second spell he turned them around after a dreadful start to the season under Pearson where they were bottom of the league. Win %s of 53 and 44 in his two spells.

Not saying he's a brilliant manager but his record in the Championship at Derby is good, add on top of that he's worked at QPR before and can fit the 'head coach' structure and it strikes me as a half decent appointment. Trouble with QPR is that they still haven't learned lessons and still think changing manager every season is the way to success. Holloway was a strange appointment seemingly based more on his history with the club than his recent results.

It seems to be the general consensus within football that he is an excellent coach but a poor man manager.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

It seems to be the general consensus within football that he is an excellent coach but a poor man manager.

He seems to either do very well or be a complete disaster. Very good record at Middlesbrough, Twente and Derby but dreadful with England, Wolfsburg and Newcastle.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Funny what sticks in your mind. Apart from the wally with the brolly stuff ....

The morning after we were relegated with Kiddo after the goalless draw with Utd, I went into work, emotionally fragile.

A friendly, Utd colleague told me that McClaren (then Utd's number 2) waited on the touchline at the end of the game and shook the hand of every relegated Rovers player..

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1