BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2017-2018

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Well I wasn't saying he shouldn't have taken it or that it's even his fault. Just can't help being irritated that he grabbed the spotlight at the last moment. 

Still remember the criticism he's taken over shootouts and insistence on taking 5th penalty though.

The first bit was inevitable in the fact that he's their penalty taker so it wouldn't matter what minute RM were awarded a penalty, he'd be taking it.

100% agree on the second bit though, that's proper cringeworthy.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't the QF results (and close calls) put a stop to this "best draw" nonsense? It's the CL for goodness sake. By that logic Liverpool fans should have hoped for Real Madrid in the semi to save them some time and travel money. Anything can happen over 2 legs in the CL knockout stages just as it can in the final.

Liverpool fans ought to be angered (as long as they don't moan endlessly about it) by the BBC tweeting EVERY Liverpool fan got the draw they wanted. How patronising is that especially when many of them pay that bloody stone age license fee. It's insulting to AS Roma too. If anyone at the club says they are happier with that draw they should be severely reprimanded. Or even fired if its anyone within their own media department. Anything else is a sense of weakness and don't tell me it's some psychological "false sense of security" thing. That's why I say in the FA Cup it's probably better for the strongest clubs to play each other earlier. That way if they are so afraid at least it will save them several distracting (albeit "easier" games perhaps) and the possibility of drawing them later and being knocked out. It lacks logic to have that sort of thinking. Of course as I've said it's the CL so that this stage EVERYONE has their strengths even if it's anomalies like Leicester (I can't say their Premier League win was undeserved but I'll never be able to explain it either) getting to QF's, etc. Or someone from one of the lesser ranked nations though that wasn't the case this time around. Bloody hell Liverpool know more than most that the favourites don't always win the CL. It was hardly comparable to Greece at Euro 2004 though. 

Champions League Draw a FIX

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5612603/Champions-League-fix-scandal-erupts-Roma-offer-Liverpool-tickets-draw-made.html

I am suprised as if fixed I would have expected Real and Bayern Munich to have been kept apart in the semis.

Interesting that doubters of the draw are being referred to as part of a "conspiracy" wereas they are just seeking truth.

I know where that approach comes from, where it started and where it will end up. But that's not a view to be furthered on a football thread.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, philipl said:

That was a stonking win that got away from Liverpool last night.

Roma must fancy the return with those two late goals in the bag.

Klopp now has to attack in Rome.

Any news on Oxlade- Chamberlain?

I think it's over; however I'm rarely right. Proof is my Burnley won't win many prediction of 2 months ago.

The press will be building it up as Roma put 3 past Barcelona last round to get through. Klopp was in the same situation last round too. I think unlike Barcelona Liverpool will nick a goal.

I've not seen anything on Ox.

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Hard to believe by the way he runs, moves and still beats defenders so easily but Bayern's Frank Ribery is now 35. Top player. 

He played very well. Looked frustrated with his colleagues.

RM will progress to a final yet again.

Bayern could have scored 6 but 2 mistakes and Real are in the driving seat. They have an aura and confidence that allows them to play like that. 1 down, meh, we will be fine. They have so many players who are exceptionally comfortable on the ball that once they go up they can play keep away. You wouldn't be able to get the ball off Modric, Isco, and Kroos playing in a garden shed. They'd manage to find space somewhere.

Bayern have some squad. Neuer, Vidal, Alaba, and Coman didn't play last night. Then Boateng and Robben went off injured early. So they bring on Thiago and Sule. I wonder if Bayern don't make it the press will theorise that they are in a similar situation to PSG. They walk the league every year, have class players, but fall short. They won in in 2013 but were being pushed, and beaten by, Dortmund back then.

Marcelo always looks knackered. I reckon that he'll go the way of the original Ronaldo once he retires. He's got that type of physique. 

On 4/25/2018 at 23:25, jim mk2 said:

Hard to believe by the way he runs, moves and still beats defenders so easily but Bayern's Frank Ribery is now 35. Top player. 

And out of contract. Come on venkys. You failed with Beckham, you failed with ronaldinho, you owe us ribery .

Real have done it again. 2-2 yesterday sees them into the final for the 3rd year in a row.

They were there for the taking last night. Bayern outplayed them in both legs but their inability to score, and monumental cock up's allowed Madrid through.

It's hard to look past them as winners.

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Real have done it again. 2-2 yesterday sees them into the final for the 3rd year in a row.

They were there for the taking last night. Bayern outplayed them in both legs but their inability to score, and monumental cock up's allowed Madrid through.

It's hard to look past them as winners.

Barring injuries, I think Liverpool have the beating of them. Madrid limped into the final, how Munich managed to make a mess of it I don't know 

• Backroom

I’ve thought for a while that Liverpool will win it. Salah is a match winner at any level, be interesting to see if he can carry Egypt in the summer

Just now, Tom said:

I’ve thought for a while that Liverpool will win it. Salah is a match winner at any level, be interesting to see if he can carry Egypt in the summer

And yet against Stoke he was ineffective.

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Barring injuries, I think Liverpool have the beating of them. Madrid limped into the final, how Munich managed to make a mess of it I don't know 

Plenty of teams have the beating of them. Spurs did it. Juventus nearly did it. Bayern should have done it. Yet Madrid are in another final. Whether it's luck, skill, favourable refereeing, or Ronaldo they win.

Liverpool have to overcome today first. 3 goals shouldn't be an issue but it isn't unobtainable.

• Moderation Lead

I can't see anything other than Real making it 12 European Cups tbh.

Liverpool will trouble them but they'll be scuppered by some heroic defending from Real and some ruthlessness up top.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I can't see anything other than Real making it 12 European Cups tbh.

Liverpool will trouble them but they'll be scuppered by some heroic defending from Real and some ruthlessness up top.

Real have won the Europea Cup/Champions League 12 times already.

Liverpool fans upset at Real already celebrating no. 13.

Liverpool fans complaining, now there's a shocker!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fans-criticise-disrespectful-real-12464888.amp

Archived