BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2017-2018

Not to mention being an ex-referee who probably angered countless fans with appalling decisions. :P. Kompany refused to blame this incident for the defeat and I'll take his word for it over vast majority of footballers. Like I've said home players might be helped by a positive crowd but away players should ignore it or feel more determined to shut them up. If they don't then its cowardly which is unacceptable at any level. I can't abide cowardice like Rhodes refusing to take a penalty last season. He's a decent guy but I lost respect for him after that.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, arbitro said:

I was in a people carrier going to Man City when it was attacked by an irate cyclist with what looked like a knife but it could have been a piece of metal. Although this incident had nothing to do with the game shat themselves and they were petrified (but they were soft Southerners). Of course being a Darrener I wasn't scared in the slightest ?. They definitely went into the match with this on their minds.

In Darren one is never more than six feet away from an irate cyclist with a knife! ?

Watching videos of the incident, I think anyone would’ve found it intimidating: burning flares on the coach roof etc. Funniest sight was those stood on top of police vans to get extra leverage on their missile throwing 

Quite a night last night!

Barca have been threatening a result like that for a while now - I thought they were lucky to beat Chelsea in the last round. 

Liverpool must fancy their chances now - and if I were them I think I'd be wanting Real Madrid in the semi final  as opposed to Roma, which seems to be the popular choice among pundits.

• Moderation Lead

As Norbert says, Madrid always seem to get the job done in Europe and if I was a betting man, that's who I'd be backing.

Though it is good to see the underdogs doing so well! Juventus and Bayern might be slightly more nervous tonight.

12 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I don't know. Real Madrid just have that ability to pull out a performance in the Champions League no matter how much they may suck domestically. I know I got it wrong a few days ago, but Madrid must be massive favourites now.

If we go by reputation and previous seasons' endeavours then yes, definitely favourites. Massive favourites? Not for me. They didn't look that special against Spurs earlier in the tournament to be honest. 

Think there was a post a few pages back saying it was between City, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Now I'm not gonna get on my crystal ball soapbox but it's exactly like I said. At CL level particularly at this stage ALL clubs are a huge threat and you can't definitively pick a favourite. That said most people (certainly in this country which is understandable) were asking themselves the question yesterday of whether City could stage a comeback. It seems like most people (myself included) forgot all about Roma and their credentials as a club at this level. Maybe Barcelona were wondering more on whether City could bounce back too lol!

As a big fan of Serie A last night was wonderful.  Roma did themselves and Italian football proud, they were magnificent.  Although some bizarre tactics from Barca.  4-4-2 was never going to work and then dropping deeper and deeper just invited trouble.

i think Liverpool have a good chance of winning it.  The high press is something that Madrid struggled against when they faced Spurs and Liverpool are even better at it.  The ones that intrigue me are Bayern, they have been lucky with the draw thus far so it hard to judge how good they really are.

Tonight's matches should in theory be more straightforward although I would love to see some of the drama we witnessed last night.

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

On a slightly related note, I've absolutely no sympathy with gimps that do stuff like this then play the victim. If only Liverpool hadn't received a massive allocation....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/shocking-brawl-breaks-out-manchester-12339951

Stuart Caley should read it. No word on whether the guy was seriously injured. I wouldn't agree with that (said so in regards to the United fan who was attacked at Ewood and bloodied) but some level of force is justified even if it's just a few light kicks, etc. Especially when it's a United fan -_-.

4 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Stuart Caley should read it. No word on whether the guy was seriously injured. I wouldn't agree with that (said so in regards to the United fan who was attacked at Ewood and bloodied) but some level of force is justified even if it's just a few light kicks, etc. Especially when it's a United fan -_-.

I remember in one of my first seasons on Ewood so between 03-05 a United fan outed himself in the riverside right near where I was sat and he was given a beating. As the stewards had him walking him down the steps random people were giving him one as he was being led out. Always remembered that. Fully deserved. :lol:  Also when I was only really young, I remember about 5 Bolton fans absolutely sprinting down the riverside concourse one with a flag in hand, safe to say they got pounced on as well. I remember seeing blood splattered all over the concourse as I walked out at the end of the game, not nice for a 7 or 8 year old lad to see which I was at the time I think. :huh:

8 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

.Tonight's matches should in theory be more straightforward although I would love to see some of the drama we witnessed last night.

Never trust the theory! :) 

On 11/04/2018 at 22:22, Vinjay17 said:

Just had to be egotist scoring of course. 

Pretty unfair. 

Many, many players wouldn’t have handled that pressure with such aplomb.

Lads certainly got stones and doesn’t half deliver.

Well I wasn't saying he shouldn't have taken it or that it's even his fault. Just can't help being irritated that he grabbed the spotlight at the last moment. 

Still remember the criticism he's taken over shootouts and insistence on taking 5th penalty though.

6 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Well I wasn't saying he shouldn't have taken it or that it's even his fault. Just can't help being irritated that he grabbed the spotlight at the last moment. 

Still remember the criticism he's taken over shootouts and insistence on taking 5th penalty though.

He is a hell of a penalty taker. Also the overhead kick goal in the first leg was super.

I feel sorry for Juve though, almost making history.

Bayern's cup methinks, going quietly about their business.

If you want to talk about CR and unfair criticism look back to the time Rooney stomped on Carvalho's testicles. Of course I don't like either of them but that was ridiculous with Rooney being treated as the victim. Compared to that truthfully calling him an egotist is nothing.

Anyway the (rather unfortunate) consequence was that his performances for United the following season were exceptional. Of course he ended up leaving and becoming an even better player. Quite amusing considering how obnoxious United are as a club.

Archived