SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gillingham - Home

JPTSwindon

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Oh well lets just drop a player cos you dont feel confident then. 

Looks at Raya's saves during the game. Some really good saves. 

Evans performance wasnt bad at all but feel Whittingham could give us something extra passing wise. 

The front 4 performances were outstanding first half. Thats what my comment was about

He is a very good shot stopper but I didn't ever doubt that, the time when Moore beat him in the air was laughable, he needs to be stronger and more decisive.

Glad Wharton and Conway are fit again, I'd get them on the bench on Saturday and start them on Tuesday. Wharton is our best partner for Mulgrew with Lenihan injured, but Downing deserves his place for the time being.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

oHe is a very good shot stopper but I didn't ever doubt that, the time when Moore beat him in the air was laughable, he needs to be stronger and more decisive.

Glad Wharton and Conway are fit again, I'd get them on the bench on Saturday and start them on Tuesday. Wharton is our best partner for Mulgrew with Lenihan injured, but Downing deserves his place for the time being.

I think Wharton's got a good future in front of him and may well to go on to be a regular before too long.However I wouldn't be bigging him up above Downing etc at the moment. When did he last play 90 minutes for us in any team ?

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a very good shot stopper but I didn't ever doubt that, the time when Moore beat him in the air was laughable, he needs to be stronger and more decisive.

2 left footed centre backs doesnt work

Plus why drop Downing after 2 good performances and clean sheet in both games? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Are you suggesting that Rovers have employed players that can only play with one foot ?

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brilliant post chadster.. Ha ha... I wonder how many pairs of left footed boots Adidas sell 

I've been trying to think of a left footed centre back partnership and I honestly can't. There has certainly been a few 2 left footed centre halves in a back 3 but I can't quite pull out 2 regular left footed CBs. In that respect I think Chaddy is right in saying it doesn't work but one could argue it hasn't really been given a chance to work.

You'd have to say a left footed centre half may struggle in the right hand centre back role against a right footed striker as you will always be looking to put him onto his stronger foot and on the inside. Likewise passing the ball out through natural channels may be difficult to him as he'd always be looking to naturally play in field.

In that respect you'd expect to see a left footed right sided centre half struggle but, as blueboy has said, plenty of right footers have adapted to playing left side so I can't see it being much of a problem really.

Of course there's the old adage that left footers weaker foot is usually much worse than a right footers weaker foot. Perhaps that is why you've not really seen it before.

Ideally you want a right footer and a left footer in the centre half positions. It just works better that way for all sorts of reasons.

You're right about lots of left footers being very one footed. Not many right footers are useless with their left. Jimmy Johnstone was one example, an awesome winger in his prime but all right foot. Knowing that didn't help many left backs though. I remember him giving Keith Newton a hard time in a Scotland v England game and not many opponents got the better of Keith. I always thought that performance robbed Keith of a place in the World Cup winning squad. The much more pedestrian Gerry Byrne got the reserve left back slot and ended up with just 2 England capscompared with Keith's 27.

Stuart Metcalfe was one I can think of at Rovers. Opponents used to try to work him onto his left foot and he'd end up going around in circles.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hope Mowbray has had a word with him. He looks a bit volatile to me, if he is the Gillingham lads will know all about it. We don't want to be played them with 10.

Its a good point, and the occasion could get to him...Its part of him and his game from what I have seen..

Then again TM could play safe and put him on the bench ,now that would not surprise me ...

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The plus point is key. Anyone who went on Tues should be filled with hope that Downing looked a decent player. Nothing spectacular, reminded me of Craig Short.

7 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've been trying to think of a left footed centre back partnership and I honestly can't. There has certainly been a few 2 left footed centre halves in a back 3 but I can't quite pull out 2 regular left footed CBs. In that respect I think Chaddy is right in saying it doesn't work but one could argue it hasn't really been given a chance to work.

You'd have to say a left footed centre half may struggle in the right hand centre back role against a right footed striker as you will always be looking to put him onto his stronger foot and on the inside. Likewise passing the ball out through natural channels may be difficult to him as he'd always be looking to naturally play in field.

In that respect you'd expect to see a left footed right sided centre half struggle but, as blueboy has said, plenty of right footers have adapted to playing left side so I can't see it being much of a problem really.

Of course there's the old adage that left footers weaker foot is usually much worse than a right footers weaker foot. Perhaps that is why you've not really seen it before.

Exactly, there are plenty of two right footed Cbs that seem to work together. Why couldnt two left footed? 

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Time being?

Come on surely that's self explanatory 

He's played two games and done well and earned a spot for the next game, however it's not like he's cemented a place, Mulgrew is a shoe in but the second spot is still up for grabs.

40 minutes ago, Tom said:

He's played two games and done well and earned a spot for the next game, however it's not like he's cemented a place, Mulgrew is a shoe in but the second spot is still up for grabs.

No, Chaddy is right, Downing should be in the team for the whole season whether he plays well or not, he deserves it after two half decent performances.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

No not really. 

Why Time being? Surely he keeps his place if he is performing and we are keeping clean sheets.

Anyway back to Gillingham......

They've not started the season off very well with only 7 points from 10 games and are currently sat in the relegation places, so with that in mind and our performance in midweek I'm going to do a Mercer:

Rovers 4 Gilligham 1

Went to Gillingham in our promotion season under Souness, that was earmarked as the game we'd get promoted, but it actually turned out to be dead rubber as we'd already been promoted at Preston earlier in the week.

Thing I remember most about that trip was how far away it was, and we'd stayed in London night before! and it still took ages on the train.

Archived