SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I wouldnt think Chapman will be ready and fit enough to play until March at the earliest. In fact, we will probably not see very much him at all as his injury was a serious one that is never easy to recover from.

Ya,to get back to match sharpness will be a big ask before the end of the season. I suppose he is young,so he may heal relatively quickly. Always the risk of something flaring up again though. The fact he is still around suggests all parties are confident though

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

And we aren't keeping clean sheets with 4-5-1 either!  Dack in the middle with Smallwood.  Two wingers and two up top.

I'm not sure that would work in today's football. I don't see Dack as a playmaker in midfield and our wingers would have to do much more than they're doing at the moment. 

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who was he doing a favour? 

It didn't work out,but apparently Tomlinson's personal issues were what were keeping him out of the 1st team picture,not Harper. It was a bit of an odd deal,but he was labelled as some prodigy. All we saw were a petulant little boy way out of his depth in a man's game. Will be interesting to see what becomes of him when he matures a lot. 

I assume this frees up a loan spot now. Be great to have a few deals done before our next league game. 

I thought Mowbray managed West Brom .............

Who mentioned Tomlinson either ?  Personally I think the loan in and wages on that one should have been used a lot better because like I said it doesn't really matter if he has a modicum of talent as being a gangly 17 year old in this league was never going to work out well. He's wasted a space on the bench most weeks and was probably here because after a flash Prem debut they at his parent club wanted to bring him back down to earth a bit. Being here might have done him some good on a personal character building level but it's been no use to us so hopefully horses for courses from now on OR our own lads taking a bench spot.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I thought Mowbray managed West Brom .............

Who mentioned Tomlinson either ?  Personally I think the loan in and wages on that one should have been used a lot better because like I said it doesn't really matter if he has a modicum of talent as being a gangly 17 year old in this league was never going to work out well. He's wasted a space on the bench most weeks and was probably here because after a flash Prem debut they at his parent club wanted to being him back down to earth a bit. Being here might have done him some good on a personal character building level but it's been no use to us so hopefully horses for courses from now on OR our own lads taking a bench spot.

Tomlinson is clearly the next in line from the under 23s. Who would you put ahead of him?

I'm not sure many of Mowbrays friends are still there. New owners and our man JW is the chairman. 

I agreed it was a strange move that didn't work out at all. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Tomlinson is clearly the next in line from the under 23s. Who would you put ahead of him?

I'm not sure many of Mowbrays friends are still there. New owners and our man JW is the chairman. 

If it was personal issues ruling him out then that's irrelevant because he wouldn't have been available anyway but there's been plenty to choose from in the U23s to take a bench spot i'm sure Dunny & Jonno would agree with me here.

As for JW I wish he still was our man B)

Just now, tomphil said:

If it was personal issues ruling him out then that's irrelevant because he wouldn't have been available anyway but there's been plenty to choose from in the U23s to take a bench spot i'm sure Dunny & Jonno would agree with me here.

As for JW I wish he still was our man B)

Butterworth was on the bench yesterday 

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

A rather pointless signing that's probably only hindered one of our own stepping up and at 17 years old was never going to be what was needed in this division. TM doing old mates a favour there maybe but hopefully we are moving away from that kind of thing now.

A Coventry or Charlton wonder kid in next ....... :unsure:

could never understand it in the first place when we have a 17 year old midfielder that clubs are falling over each other to sign

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

And we aren't keeping clean sheets with 4-5-1 either!  Dack in the middle with Smallwood.  Two wingers and two up top.

I don't see Dack as a central midfielder at all, playing him there would make us more defensively suspect as well as drying up his contribution to attack. As long as he's anywhere near his current form, we should play 4-5-1 to accommodate him. 

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Antonsson likely out for a few weeks. We needed width brought in before that injury! Looks like we'll be stuck with Conway on the flank unless we can get somebody in before the Shrews match.

Ya,Conway and Bennett together offer very little flair,solid though. In fairness to Antonnsson, his goals were a huge factor in us winning a number of games. His link up play is also underrated as he had a number of assists too. He will be missed. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Rekeen Harper has been recalled by West Brom, best for all concerned I think 

What a silly signing by Mowbray, those 9 appearances could and should have been made by our young lads, not West Brom's. He'll be a decent player in a few years but he's got a hell of a lot of growing up to do first, remember he is only 17, I think Tomlinson is 20. 

37 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Antonsson likely out for a few weeks. We needed width brought in before that injury! Looks like we'll be stuck with Conway on the flank unless we can get somebody in before the Shrews match.

Antonsson is an enigma disappears from games for long periods but then pops up with an assist or goal. You come off many games thinking what did he contribute today. Saturday was a good example excellent assist for Graham's second but not a lot else

3 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Joe Aribo of Charlton, Greg Leigh of Bury, Duane Holmes of Scunthorpe

Those have been my three standouts from recent matches (that I've seen)

Charlton and Scunthorpe are unlikely to sell to us as rivals but Bury may listen to a bid for Leigh.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You are right. We badly need a fast winger. Bennett is just OK but Conway is well past it and useless in the team.

1 hour ago, Commondore said:

I don't see Dack as a central midfielder at all, playing him there would make us more defensively suspect as well as drying up his contribution to attack. As long as he's anywhere near his current form, we should play 4-5-1 to accommodate him. 

Operated as a cm at Gillingham so sure he could do the role here.  We need more options at home.  We are defensively suspect as it is.  This league is about attacking.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Few twitter transfers accounts are reporting the Bell transfer deal is close from Fleetwood

If so I’m totally perplexed. Has anyone seen this fellow play? Can he play anywhere else but left back? Williams is more than good enough for this league, there’s no reason to sign another left back - unless of course he can also play right back, centre midfield or on the wing. 

Anyone?

Archived