SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I suspect that Mowbray will have to do some juggling with the wages in order to free up space for new signings. Whilst they might cough up the dosh of a few hundred grand for a couple of incomings I doubt Mowbray will be allowed to add new contracts onto the wage bill without first offloading a big earner or two.

If we bring in the likes of Bell from Fleetwood these level of players are going to be on peanuts compared to players of yesteryear. In 5 years we've gone from Premier League wages on the likes of Rhodes and Best to a fraction of that on people like Dack and Smallwood. So there's no real surprise that Venkys are content to splash a bit out on some League One signings provided a plan is in place to continue to reduce the wage bill in line with falling revenues.

With that in mind if departures are on the cards then we should look at Graham, Evans, Conway. Those are the sort who are on the top end salaries and unless I'm mistaken Evans and Conway are out of contract in the summer so they might have one eye on that.

I've no evidence to support it, because only the money men and Mowbray would be able to do that, but I remain convinced that the deadline day arrivals of Downing, Hart and Harper were only made possible once Feeney had been offloaded to Cardiff and a chunk of his no doubt substantial wages were freed up for those 3. That's my interpretation of the nature and timing of those signings. 

Assuming a similar policy is in place this window expect similar - an Evans or Conway on £10,000+ a week out the door and 2-3 in on £4,000 a week. 

Selling any one of our key men would be lunacy.

I'm not really interested in long term additions - all our concern should be on is having enough to get up over the next 20 odd games. Worry about longer term if or when we go up and we have the more favourable summer window to do business.

Excellent post. If we could offload any of Evans ,Conway, Graham and their wages and bring in two or three more players of the calibre of Dack or Smallwood I'd be doing cartwheels.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would imagine it is Evans. Be surprised if it's another first teamer. Him leaving for a fee would make sense for all involved. We could do with the money,freeing up the wages and he could probably do with a change. Gallagher would be a decent replacement short-term. 

I'd be amazed if anyone is prepared to sign Evans on a free never mind actually  pay money for him. The guy never seems to play more than 2 games at a time before disappearing into the treatment room.

I can't see us signing Gallagher whilst we still have Whittingham on the books.

Evans will be one of those that when he leaves here will go to a Bolton, PNE, Hull, Ipswich etc. play regularly and become an important first teamer in the Championship. For some reason it just isn't happening for him here but someone will pay money for him, even if its only a couple of hundred grand.

Just now, JHRover said:

Evans will be one of those that when he leaves here will go to a Bolton, PNE, Hull, Ipswich etc. play regularly and become an important first teamer in the Championship. For some reason it just isn't happening for him here but someone will pay money for him, even if its only a couple of hundred grand.

If that's the case why is he not playing regularly here ? Maybe the physios are better at those other clubs you mention.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Championship clubs would definitely be interested in Evans. He’s mid 20s, a regular for his country and won promotion from that league before. That’s why I think we should look to offload him as it will no doubt free up some wages and let’s face it - the guy needs a change of scenery.

Yeah he will be bored of the sight of our treatment room and could do with another in a fresh environment.

17 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He’s supposedly really quick, so at a guess wing. But given its not his natural position it does look a strange one because there’s no chance that TM is dropping Williams, and as you say he’s good enough for this league.

If he's better than we have AND QUICK I'm all in favour. Perhaps either him or Williams can switch to right back where a replacement is really needed. Alternatively if he and Williams could share the left wing/wing back positions, covering for each other that would solve the left wing problem but leave us with the poor Nyambe/Caddis combination for the right back that badly needs a change.

Just now, Al said:

If he's better than we have AND QUICK I'm all in favour. Perhaps either him or Williams can switch to right back where a replacement is really needed. Alternatively if he and Williams could share the left wing/wing back positions, covering for each other that would solve the left wing problem but leave us with the poor Nyambe/Caddis combination for the right back that badly needs a change.

Nyambe has been much improved recently so wouldn't be trying to force a left footed left back in at RB. Still think Travis deserves a chance as back up as i've never been sold on Caddis, who's done his job as a squad filler full back.

Also Williams is in good form too, he doesn't have any back up though as Hart hasn't shown anything yet and Doyle isn't fancied yet.

I think it could indicate that Mowbray wants to move back to a back 3 with wing backs. He tried it earlier in the season and the main reason it failed was we had no natural wing backs so could be trying to fix that rather than look to add more attacking wingers. Also Lenihan is coming back who he's said suits that system.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Nyambe has been much improved recently so wouldn't be trying to force a left footed left back in at RB. Still think Travis deserves a chance as back up as i've never been sold on Caddis, who's done his job as a squad filler full back.

Also Williams is in good form too, he doesn't have any back up though as Hart hasn't shown anything yet and Doyle isn't fancied yet.

I think it could indicate that Mowbray wants to move back to a back 3 with wing backs. He tried it earlier in the season and the main reason it failed was we had no natural wing backs so could be trying to fix that rather than look to add more attacking wingers. Also Lenihan is coming back who he's said suits that system.

Nyambe much improved????

13 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I Think his performances in the last two home games have been much better than some earlier in the season. Seems to gaining a bit more confidence.

Not for me. Useless with his head and knows only one way to pass. Back to Centre half or keeper. Stops any attacks before they develop.

Just now, Al said:

Not for me. Useless with his head and knows only one way to pass. Back to Centre half or keeper. Stops any attacks before they develop.

You've noticed any improvement at all then? I agree with his heading, he's one of those who jumps with his head down but he's still better than Caddis in that regards.

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I think if this happens then we might aswell surrender the automatic promotion places now.

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Lenihen doesn't suit that at all what seed Mowbray is trying to plant here is because he'll suddenly find himself having to accommodate 3 centre backs as Lenihen when fit is always likely to be found a place he's the next and possibly only one left to get any real transfer value into.

Get him in front of aback 4 and allow midfield to operate a bit further forwards instead maybe.

• Backroom

Once Lenihan is fit put him at the back with Mulgrew and see how it works. I don't see Downing or Ward as first team players when everybody is fit, although Downing in particular is able back up. Not sure about Ward.

Archived