BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

I think a lot of fans away from this board would be quite happy to see Lowe back, he's bloody limited but not much more so than Evans.

Also, sad to hear about Henley. Remember his Maradona goal at Hillsborough? No one else think he could do a job at this level as backup for Nyambe/Caddis?

Minimum wage and free school dinners for both.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ve no idea mate. I expect he doesn’t know how to use Twitter, Facebook, the Internet, computers, or read newspapers. I also expect he doesn’t know anyone who does, let alone have anyone at the club who might know and tell him.

It’s a thinker alright.

Anyway, can’t chat now, I’m off out for a first class stamp before the post office shuts. Fingers crossed he gets my letter before he signs him.

Good idea. I'm sending a carrier pigeon. I could picture Mowbray as a pigeon man 

24 minutes ago, Stuart said:

On the strength of that post, I think you’ve already been drinking.

Or maybe you are simply frothing at the mouth in your haste to try to shoot me down about... well about anything really.

Put the sherry down, read my post again, take a breath and have another go. :rolleyes: 

No, I’ve not been driven to drink yet, I’ll save that for when JL is pelted with season ticket cards as he replaces a cramp wielding Nyambe with 5 minutes to go, 3-1 up against Northampton.. :)

I also don’t recall quoting you in months, I think you might be mistaking me for one of the other “less polarising” opinions on BRFCS. 

You suggested we needed a new “link” and fast. Why? I only assumed that, by logic it’s related to your previous sentences on fan “unity”?

How does signing a player some can’t stand disrupt that? Or even, simply being linked? I expect the manager to look at his budget and his options, and devise a plan from that - not flip flop on the basis of some fans might give him grief.

The “Kean first team coach” comparison comment sums you up on this. A more reasoned Rover might remember those two characters in different lights. I certainly do. One an overpaid and overpromoted average player who at least worked hard whilst wearing the shirt, and the other- an absolute scum bag who (with the help of his friends) schemed his way into millions whilst screwing the club up, for decades potentially.

I expect TM would know the difference between rehiring Kean or Coyle for his team, and loaning an ex-rover who can cover a few positions.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You do realise he got half the amount of goals that Graham got last year? So why should he come straight into the team?

My point was more about you saying the Lowe rumour is just a rumour because you dont like that, yet on the same hand you are taking rumours for players you would like as gospel.

Look at his record for Coventry when he played at league 1 level and played under Mowbray. Scored 20 goals. 

Yes he scored 6 goals for Barnsley in 35 games last season but thats Championship level. We not at that level. 

The Lowe rumour came from Andy Bayes. Havent seen Nixon or Myers confirm this. Have you?

But Armstrong rumour came from local Newcastle based reporters plus back up by Nixon, Myers and Sharpe our interest. Thats 4 sources compare to Lowe rumour one. Alot more solid rumour. Same as the Bell.one that has 4 sources. 

1 minute ago, Biz said:

No, I’ve not been driven to drink yet, I’ll save that for when JL is pelted with season ticket cards as he replaces a cramp wielding Nyambe with 5 minutes to go, 3-1 up against Northampton.. :)

I also don’t recall quoting you in months, I think you might be mistaking me for one of the other “less polarising” opinions on BRFCS. 

You suggested we needed a new “link” and fast. Why? I only assumed that, by logic it’s related to your previous sentences on fan “unity”?

How does signing a player some can’t stand disrupt that? Or even, simply being linked? I expect the manager to look at his budget and his options, and devise a plan from that - not flip flop on the basis of some fans might give him grief.

The “Kean first team coach” comparison comment sums you up on this. A more reasoned Rover might remember those two characters in different lights. I certainly do. One an overpaid and overpromoted average player who at least worked hard whilst wearing the shirt, and the other- an absolute scum bag who (with the help of his friends) schemed his way into millions whilst screwing the club up, for decades potentially.

I expect TM would know the difference between rehiring Kean or Coyle for his team, and loaning an ex-rover who can cover a few positions.

Do you miss every point on purpose?

“Why do we need a new link?” So we all have something else to talk about rather than this (hopefully only a) rumour.

“The would be fan disunity” if he signed, not because of a link. You clearly aren’t good with logic and assumption so best not to try to use it until you’ve grasped reading and comprehension.

”Kean as first team coach” was a response to Mowbray being in touch with the feelings of Rovers fanbase. Not a comparison for Lowe - but that wouldn’t fit how you want to spin it, would it?

You are bloody hard work at times. There are a lot of things I could think of to “sum you up” but I’ll stay polite and let you speak for yourself on that score...

95425165-BAD5-472B-996F-0E75809F2C11.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Feeney gone back to Cardiff on loan: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/january/feeney-heads-back-to-cardiff/

That's him done with us as his contract is up this summer.

Winger to come in now then Tony, please.

Confirmation of part or all of his wages off the books will probably see one or two arrive the other way. That's how it worked in the summer.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at his record for Coventry when he played at league 1 level and played under Mowbray. Scored 20 goals. 

Yes he scored 6 goals for Barnsley in 35 games last season but thats Championship level. We not at that level. 

The Lowe rumour came from Andy Bayes. Havent seen Nixon or Myers confirm this. Have you?

But Armstrong rumour came from local Newcastle based reporters plus back up by Nixon, Myers and Sharpe our interest. Thats 4 sources compare to Lowe rumour one. Alot more solid rumour. Same as the Bell.one that has 4 sources. 

You were doing so well Chaddy. :( Nixon doesn't know anything about Rovers these days, even Andy Bayes is probably more ITK than that fat Scottish pr@t these days. I still think we should be all over Jon Taylor, pacey tricky winger who is more than capable at this level and still has time to get even better. No brainer for me.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

You reckon? I’ll test out that theory tomorrow...

Not saying I agree with them, but you know what a lot of ours are like. HE'S LOCAL! HE KNOWS THE CLUB!

As I say, can't be any worse than Evans has been (barring Rotherham, played a bit better there tbf)

22 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Feeney gone back to Cardiff on loan: https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/january/feeney-heads-back-to-cardiff/

That's him done with us as his contract is up this summer.

Winger to come in now then Tony, please.

I don't rate Feeney as a footballer at all but do think he could do half a job in this league. I'm not sad to see the back of him though.

That's if we bring a winger in though. Would be silly to let one go and not replace him. 

54 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

On that basis I'm sure there's many fans who would welcome Lowe's return asap.

Ii is easy to see why Mowbray might want him back. I imagine he sees Lowe as a player who still has alot to offer and would be a strong player in the third division. Mowbray probably sees Lowe giving Smallwood the physical support he needs in midfield and knows he can also play at right back. Thus Mowbray would be getting 2 players for the price of one - and if it were a loan deal until the end of the season with Birmingham paying most of his wages then all the better for the number crunchers at Ewood. 

All fairly reasonable and objective.

Why is Mowbray the only visionary and no other manager in any club, league, or country can see this?

17 hours ago, Biz said:

I don’t understand why bringing back a decent player who can cover multiple positions is going to massively decrease our chances on the pitch? Sounds a bit OTT

Personally, id rather we didn’t re-sign old players, but if we are talking a 6 month loan as a backup, I’d consider it a decent option.

Ill feeling? Are the majority of Rovers fans likely to get angry, boo and shout if JL is loaned and included in a squad? I very much doubt it, I’m sure that would depend on his performance. I’ve never quite understood the stick he gets, overall I never rated him as a “good”’player but there are far worse examples in our recent history. Lad never had an attacking bone in his body, but I always felt he could pass, read a game, immensely fit, works really hard. Probably why he didn’t immediately sink at RB in the prem.

Trouble is, he never got any better. The hangers on obviously pushed the likes of Lowe, Henley, Jake Kean et al for reasons beyond their “ability”.

Whilst I think many posts are completely ridiculous in the scale of their reactions, I’d also say skip this one, Tone.

Anyway...Where is this new pacy winger..!

We're not talking about bringing back a "decent" player though we're talking about bringing back Lowe.

You say he can pass, read a game and works really hard. I'd say he can't pass or read a game in the slightest which is bad enough in itself but might be overlooked if he put himself about and made a nuisance of himself to the opposition a la Robbie Savage but he doesnt do any closing down whatsoever either hence the number of times the opposition used to score from the edge of the area as LD Rover correctly pointed out.

I wonder if the link to Lowe is a case of the new Chief Exec taking a moneyball approach and thinking we can get "value for money" by bringing back the same player we had a few months ago for a fraction of the cost.

If so, he can sling his hook frankly. Why not bring back Chris Brown while we're at it? The link is beyond ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We're not talking about bringing back a "decent" player though we're talking about bringing back Lowe.

You say he can pass, read a game and works really hard. I'd say he can't pass or read a game in the slightest which is bad enough in itself but might be overlooked if he put himself about and made a nuisance of himself to the opposition a la Robbie Savage but he doesnt do any closing down whatsoever either hence the number of times the opposition used to score from the edge of the area as LD Rover correctly pointed out.

I wonder if the link to Lowe is a case of the new Chief Exec taking a moneyball approach and thinking we can get "value for money" by bringing back the same player we had a few months ago for a fraction of the cost.

If so, he can sling his hook frankly. Why not bring back Chris Brown while we're at it? The link is beyond ludicrous.

I don't think you understand the moneyball approach 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think you understand the moneyball approach 

Its about getting value for money or added value out of a player who for some underlying  reason such as injury or off the pitch problems has not performed to their potential and who is available at a relative snip.

All this could easily apply to Lowe if you thought he was any good in the first place which several managers possibly TM included bizarrely seem to think he was.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Disunity and mutiny are different.

A manager should understand his fanbase. Or would he be excused if he brought back Kean as a first team coach?

I am part of the fanbase and I don't understand us. What chance as he got :lol:

25 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So does Bowyer as do other ex-Rovers managers.

........but can they afford him?  Even after 7 years of mismanagement, we're still a relatively wealthy club at this level.

There's also the fact that Jason has been at Rovers since he was nobbut a lad and is probably well liked at Ewood. Hard for some fans to swallow,  but there it is. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

On that basis I'm sure there's many fans who would welcome Lowe's return asap.

Ii is easy to see why Mowbray might want him back. I imagine he sees Lowe as a player who still has alot to offer and would be a strong player in the third division. Mowbray probably sees Lowe giving Smallwood the physical support he needs in midfield and knows he can also play at right back. Thus Mowbray would be getting 2 players for the price of one - and if it were a loan deal until the end of the season with Birmingham paying most of his wages then all the better for the number crunchers at Ewood. 

Yes it easy to see why Mowbray would want him back, he's @#/?ing clueless, as are you. I was proven right about Jason Lowe last time (he can't get in Birmingham's squad) and I will be proven right about Jason Lowe this time (if he comes), as I'm proven right about most things related to football - Mowbray will be another.

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

.......but can they afford him?  Even after 7 years of mismanagement, we're still a relatively wealthy club at this level.

There's also the fact that Jason has been at Rovers since he was nobbut a lad and is probably well liked at Ewood. Hard for some fans to swallow,  but there it is. 

We are so rich (even relative to L1) that we can afford to pay Jason Lowe more than the L1 going rate? Jeez that would make it an even more ridiculous signing! He’s hardly in demand so it’s a buyer’s market.

I can’t believe we are potentially going to go backwards having looked like we’ve turned a corner for the first time under Venkys.

Archived