SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, islander200 said:

Id love us to bring in Chapman but with Tony pulis just taking over I find it unlikely a decision would have already been made on him unless the player has told Boro he won't be signing a new deal

If I was still coming back from  a bad injury I be snatching their hands off if I was offered a new deal.

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Sounds a lot like Rovers fans say about Antonsson - apart from the goals, assists and hard work he is #*@$ :D

He's just outwardly frustrating he seems to waste a lot of good positions but his head to set up the second today was class 

4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Have it on good authority that the two players are Downing & Chapman, if its correct i'm happy that we're looking at tieing them down, but also a bit disapointed as i thought we would be after a couple of players  who could come in and help the current bunch we have now.

By 'good authority' do you mean a pissed bloke in the Fox and Hounds?;)

I'm not sure signing Chapman would make sense. He's apparently months from a return according to the LT so he might not even feature again this season.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

People suggesting the two bids are this Bell from Fleetwood and Otzumer from Walsall

Don't know much about Bell but I really rate Oztumer. I always thought Oztumer was a number 10 though and we have Dack there who is by far our best player so it would be strange too me if we signed someone in that role when there are other positions which should be a lot more of a priority. 

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

By 'good authority' do you mean a pissed bloke in the Fox and Hounds?;)

I'm not sure signing Chapman would make sense. He's apparently months from a return according to the LT so he might not even feature again this season.

Well, he seemed legit at the time ?

Hilarious how so many on here were saying that we should re sign Morris. Then after 1 game against us when he was poor ,the same people are saying keep well away. It's probably the only game those fans  have seen him play in for a few years. It's like Downing all over again,people slating him,having hardly ,if ever seeing him play! This board cracks me up. You would all make incredibly fickle scouts!

On Chapman ,his injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The guy clearly has bags of talent. If he had not have gotten injured ,a championship club could have snapped him up by now. 

Otzumer is an interesting one. People saying no need with Dack,but I disagree. What if Dack picked up a knock? What's to say we can't play otzumer on the wing or even both behind the striker? 

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On Chapman ,his injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The guy clearly has bags of talent. If he had not have gotten injured ,a championship club could have snapped him up by now. 

Otzumer is an interesting one. People saying no need with Dack,but I disagree. What if Dack picked up a knock? What's to say we can't play otzumer on the wing or even both behind the striker? 

I would think we would be looking at signing one of these to play at the expense of Antonnson. If it the Turkish guy then I also suspect we would play a more narrow three up at the expense of width, which would put more emphasis on Williams to get forward.

This may see a return to a back 3 especially with Lenihan's return to fitness, with us playing wingbacks which may explain why we are looking at Fleetwood's player, Bell.

19 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I would think we would be looking at signing one of these to play at the expense of Antonnson. If it the Turkish guy then I also suspect we would play a more narrow three up at the expense of width, which would put more emphasis on Williams to get forward.

This may see a return to a back 3 especially with Lenihan's return to fitness, with us playing wingbacks which may explain why we are looking at Fleetwood's player, Bell.

I can't see a huge change in formation at this stage of the season. If we sign him it could be just a case of him and Dack competing for the number 10 role,which would be great imo. You can't have enough quality players. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What's the point signing someone and playing them out of position? We've been here before. Even Dack was played out left for a few games and it clearly isn't his position. I like Oztumer but there's no point signing him to play him out of position because we already have someone better in his position in Dack, fair enough if Dack got injured he could come in for him but I doubt Oztumer would want to play second fiddle to Dack. 

1 hour ago, Butty said:

What's the point signing someone and playing them out of position? We've been here before. Even Dack was played out left for a few games and it clearly isn't his position. I like Oztumer but there's no point signing him to play him out of position because we already have someone better in his position in Dack, fair enough if Dack got injured he could come in for him but I doubt Oztumer would want to play second fiddle to Dack. 

Ya,as direct competition for Dack I think he would be a good signing. You doubt he would play second fiddle,but money talks and we are definitely a better bet for promotion than where he is currently :) He might also back himself enough to think he could win the battle for our coveted number 10 position :)

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Is Feeney back on the 1st? If he is, he needs to go straight into the starting XI (assuming Antonsson is out).

Ya,I would give him a shot if he comes back here. Don't get all the hate myself. I'd say he would be very decent in League 1. Strong,quick and direct. Pretty much what we need. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who's to say he can? The comments I read about him from Walsall fans were saying he wasn't really up to much out wide.  So would he come and play 2nd fiddle to Dack when he could possibly have the pick of League 1 clubs playing in his favoured position? I'd say not.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hilarious how so many on here were saying that we should re sign Morris. Then after 1 game against us when he was poor ,the same people are saying keep well away. It's probably the only game those fans  have seen him play in for a few years. It's like Downing all over again,people slating him,having hardly ,if ever seeing him play! This board cracks me up. You would all make incredibly fickle scouts!

Oooooo get her again.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Who's to say he can? The comments I read about him from Walsall fans were saying he wasn't really up to much out wide.  So would he come and play 2nd fiddle to Dack when he could possibly have the pick of League 1 clubs playing in his favoured position? I'd say not.

plus we need someone who make an impact on first team straight away not happy to be a squad player. We've had too many of them in the past.

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Johnny Price, winger 1971-74, may have been even smaller. 

Joe Haverty,  the left winger who we signed from Arsenal in the early 1960's was 5' 3". At the time we had Dougie who was about 5' 6" , Bobby Craig who was 5' 5" and Little Joe in the forward line ! " Land Of The Giants " it wasn't !

Archived