BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Antonsson scored for a near post header from a corner by Mulgrew

I would have Mulgrew taking every corner for. Brilliant at set pieces. 

Samba is playing for Villa these days

Booing is pointless imo. The players know when they havent perform good enough. We have honest players. 

Thst was nice.  Tried it a few times more shortly after.  Let's face it we do suck at corners at both ends of the pitch.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyrd some of Dack's skill on the ball last night.  Really liked when he beat 4 I think and was through and about to break away and was hacked down.  YELLOW CARD I screamed, ref did nit even give us anfree kick.  However, yeah, fun to watch is Bradley, on the pitch that is.

Don’t see Rovers too often these days, but thought last night we certainly deserved the win. 2-0 could easily have been more with a bit more quality on the break. Bury were certainly a very ordinary side which made getting the result that much easier. As for Rovers, take away Mulgrew who has quality on the ball, but not too much off it - and Dack who is more than able at this level, no one stood out at all. Ordinary is about the best that I could rate the others. 

Job done though and after 8 years of these owners the fans have something to look forward to. I’m pleased for them. We are top of the league and to be honest this club, this season, SHOULD have been challenging for automatic promotion. We are and that’s good. It’s a long way back and becoming an established championship club is still some way off, but thankfully, for the first time in all these years, we’re moving in the right direction.

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

A bit churlish to start crowing that we are top for the moment and going on about the booing too much IMO. 

First half, we were poor, not sure how anyone can deny that. If they were booed off at HT (which wasn’t the case across the board, just from a few), then it’s hardly a shocker. Apart from Mulgrew’s free kick goals, our set pieces aren’t really all that and our corners never do that well. Short corners only really work on FIFA, rarely in reality.

I think DE summed it up very well with the fact we rarely play that well, but our better players get us out of jail time and again.

It was only a few years ago we were seeing the exact same thing under Gary Bowyer. The only difference being that we were in a much more competitive division and couldn't outspend everybody. As soon as the likes of Rhodes, Gestede and Cairney departed we sunk pretty fast. Is there any doubt as to whether the same would happen if Mulgrew and Dack were sold or got injured now? The pair of them are single-handedly spearheading this promotion push. Credit to Graham for making an effort since the start of the new year too. 

As Den just said, the rest of the team is very, very ordinary. Most of these players have found or are at their level in League 1, which makes the likes of Dack, Graham and Mulgrew that much more important. 

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mulgrew headed home from a corner away at Peterborough. I can't remember off the top of my head who took the corner but Mulgrew put it away and from there we didn't look back. From memory that was one of the very few corners we have scored from this season.

I recall a Mulgrew goal at Oxford and Downing at Blackpool from corners.

8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’ve watched most of his interviews this season on the app, and two themes stand out a mile:

1) He believes you pick the team, at least in part, to counter the specific threats of the opponents on the day.

2) He wants the players to be comfortable switching formation mid-game as he believes that asks more questions of the opposition than switching players like for like. And they spend a lot of time working on this in training.

In short, he doesn’t believe in the concept of having a set formation with a best 11.

Now, one can debate whether he’s right conceptually, but to use it as evidence that he doesn’t know what he’s doing is simply wrong: he’s executing the philosophy he believes in.

Agreed

Problem is though the players are not good enough to play a different position/formation each game without giving us more first halves like last night.

And far from bamboozling the opposition, their game plan regardless of who the boss is:

1) No free kicks within Mulgrew range

2) Smother Dack

3) Run through midfield at the Rovers defence  

4) Big boys in close proximity to Raya on corners 

14 minutes ago, philipl said:

Agreed

Problem is though the players are not good enough to play a different position/formation each game without giving us more first halves like last night.

And far from bamboozling the opposition, their game plan regardless of who the boss is:

1) No free kicks within Mulgrew range

2) Smother Dack

3) Run through midfield at the Rovers defence  

4) Big boys in close proximity to Raya on corners 

Yet we're top of the league?

Nowt like a good moan though philipl, you're in your element moaning with this lot.

You're long enough in the tooth to know better, enjoy the good days because with these owners disaster is just around the corner.

11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are top of the league so he must be doing something right. 

His hand has been forced because of injuries to some extent with regards to who he picks to start. Travis would probably have played last night instead of Evans if fit. His rotation of Graham and Armstrong depending on whether we are home or away has paid huge dividends. 

The height is over simplistic. We could do with a no nonsense hard man centre back and possibly a target man for when we are battling in the trenches against some stubborn side who are parking the bus, but these "big lumps" would need to be able to play football too. Who would you like to see us sign to fill those 2 roles? Because players like that aren't just been opffered around. 

I'd get akinfenwa . Big strong lad who would eat us out of debt just with the amount of chicken he consumes

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, Gav said:

Yet we're top of the league?

Nowt like a good moan though philipl, you're in your element moaning with this lot.

You're long enough in the tooth to know better, enjoy the good days because with these owners disaster is just around the corner.

It wouldn’t do for us all to think the same, Gav. He’s made some good points in fairness. Myself and others have observed the same things and I watch us at home every week....

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

It wouldn’t do for us all to think the same, Gav. He’s made some good points in fairness. Myself and others have observed the same things and I watch us at home every week....

Points that are completely irrelevant to last nights game, and by the way I go to away games as well as home, not sure why you brought that up :rolleyes: 

• Moderation Lead
45 minutes ago, Gav said:

Points that are completely irrelevant to last nights game, and by the way I go to away games as well as home, not sure why you brought that up :rolleyes: 

Points that are completely irrelevant to last night’s game? Like what? Saying that game followed the same pattern as many others this season? Individual brilliance bailing us out again?

Fair one, you’re right, irrelevant....

Re the last bit, I was meaning my own attendance. I’ve only been to home games this season. I seem to recall you saying at one point you were living away from East Lancashire so figured you might not have been to many home games. Apologies if I have that incorrect. 

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

When did I complain? 

If I had several cars and one of my cars was poorer than the others, and I had had many better cars in the past, would I not be correct in stating that it could be improved upon even if I didn't know exactly what models and specs were available at that moment within my budget?

I didn't have anyone in mind because I am not paid to spend all week researching players. That's the point you won't accept.

Well then your opinion on football matters has little validity. 

13 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

No but it might stop the inane negative comments from being spouted when we are seeing a turnaround of success both on and off the pitch which is contrary to what has happened over the past 7 yrs. Enjoy it ffs

Theres a myth being spread by some that the whole fanbase is hating the recent upturn in form rather than enjoying it, and its becoming really tiresome.

You're in the the thread of a standalone game in which we played poorly (admitted by the manager) but won, and the primary theme is people discussing the performance, whilst acknowledging that the result is the most important thing.

People commenting on the formation, on the set pieces, on individual performances, theyre what you would expect in a match thread, whether the performance was good, or bad.

All Rovers fans are enjoying being top of the league, amidst an undercurrent of expected nerves, to suggest otherwise is nonsensical.

It was an observation and statement of the obvious rather than a moan.

Fact we are conceding a goal a game on average and fact we are top courtesy of some blindingly good halves contrasting with plenty of halves like first half last night.

In my opinion we are good enough to cut out Bury style first halves by picking a settled side in a settled formation but we are not good enough to turn the formation and selection which started v Bury into anything much more than a dog's breakfast.

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Points that are completely irrelevant to last night’s game? Like what? Saying that game followed the same pattern as many others this season? Individual brilliance bailing us out again?

Fair one, you’re right, irrelevant....

Re the last bit, I was meaning my own attendance. I’ve only been to home games this season. I seem to recall you saying at one point you were living away from East Lancashire so figured you might not have been to many home games. Apologies if I have that incorrect. 

I'm not even sure in your haste to have pop you read Philips points, all had absolutely no bearing on last nights game? Completely irrelevant. 

Then you follow that up with a dig about my attendance, whilst backing someone who never goes to games due to living in Malta!

As a moderator you should be asking yourself why a side that's top of the league, enjoying its best season in years is having every thread swamped with negative comments, often irrelevant.

I'm all for different opinions, but it's become a joke.

Only my opinion of course :D

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Theres a myth being spread by some that the whole fanbase is hating the recent upturn in form rather than enjoying it, and its becoming really tiresome.

Not the whole fan base at all, just on here 99.

The fans actually at games are very positive, very upbeat in the main.

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm not even sure in your haste to have pop you read Philips points, all had absolutely no bearing on last nights game? Completely irrelevant. 

Then you follow that up with a dig about my attendance, whilst backing someone who never goes to games due to living in Malta!

As a moderator you should be asking yourself why a side that's top of the league, enjoying its best season in years is having every thread swamped with negative comments, often irrelevant.

I'm all for different opinions, but it's become a joke.

Only my opinion of course :D

I had absolutely no dig at your attendance and clarified my position on what I said.

People are making observations on the game and the season in general. Like every other club in the country. The majority of the comments were acknowledging that we played badly and won. As did our own manager as it happens. 

It’s daft and a bit mischievous to say people aren’t enjoying being top of the league. Who wouldn’t be? I certainly am. 

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

It was an observation and statement of the obvious rather than a moan.

Fact we are conceding a goal a game on average and fact we are top courtesy of some blindingly good halves contrasting with plenty of halves like first half last night.

In my opinion we are good enough to cut out Bury style first halves by picking a settled side in a settled formation but we are not good enough to turn the formation and selection which started v Bury into anything much more than a dog's breakfast.

I'm a bit of an oddball in that I read entire threads, not just the page I'm currently on.....

You like a good moan, it's on this thread and a number of others, you've always liked a good moan and you're not alone, let's not pretend any different.

You make some valid points also, but the one I quoted had nowt to do with last nights game and yet posted on the Bury thread.

Archived