BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

8 hours ago, darrenrover said:

So lets go 3-5-2 then chaddy. Who would you play where and why? For the record I think it's a great system if you've got the players who are all versatile enough, fit and intelligent enough to play it.

Out of interest, do you not think both Bennett and Bell looked like fish out of water?

I don't think it helped Bennett every time Lenihan  got the ball in the first half he tried to hit a wonder ball across the pitch it left Bennett stranded when it did not reach Bell ,second half started to play the ball  to Bennett but we still looked better when we went back to 4 at the back not sure if Bell is much of an upgrade on Williams , Lenihan looks like he needs time to get back to where he was, still top of the league so lets just keep on winning performances don't matter now just results.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That’s down to Mowbray’s recruitment though. This is a squad he has largely assembled himself, yet would appear to have no idea as to what our best formation and line up is. We are far too heavy numbers wise in certain positions, yet possess no natural width outside of Chapman and barely any height at either end. Square pegs, round holes with a fair few of our players - no matter what formation you select.

We are top of the league so he must be doing something right. 

His hand has been forced because of injuries to some extent with regards to who he picks to start. Travis would probably have played last night instead of Evans if fit. His rotation of Graham and Armstrong depending on whether we are home or away has paid huge dividends. 

The height is over simplistic. We could do with a no nonsense hard man centre back and possibly a target man for when we are battling in the trenches against some stubborn side who are parking the bus, but these "big lumps" would need to be able to play football too. Who would you like to see us sign to fill those 2 roles? Because players like that aren't just been opffered around. 

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

I don't think it helped Bennett every time Lenihan  got the ball in the first half he tried to hit a wonder ball across the pitch it left Bennett stranded when it did not reach Bell ,second half started to play the ball  to Bennett but we still looked better when we went back to 4 at the back not sure if Bell is much of an upgrade on Williams , Lenihan looks like he needs time to get back to where he was, still top of the league so lets just keep on winning performances don't matter now just results.

We did look very exposed and easy to get at. At the same time, all the backwards and sideways passing in the first half not only meant little was created, but seemed to put our own defenders under pressure.

One positive is that Lenihan got 90 minutes under his belt. He looked less than comfortable in the first half and will need time, I guess.

I hope TM can find away to make a properly functioning system out of all his component parts.

Not playing well, but going top-better than glorious defeat, but a bit of a nagging worry....

8 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I know Dack got MOM tonight?????? but do you not think he's been poor by the standards he'd previously set by Mowbray's buggering about with the line up since he signed Bell and won't drop Williams? He's playing too deep to be effective and is much better as a '10' as part of the 3 behind the central striker in a 4-2-3-1. With 4 at the back Mulgrew can afford to be more influential with 2 defensive midfielders sat in front of him. In addition with 4 at the back our fullbacks have more licence (Bell and Nyambe?) to get forward in support of the attack etc. etc. Our 3 at the back effectively becomes 7 at the back and that's why we're so impotent.

Dack has been playing 10 role recently but having to drop deeper cos the opposite have worked out he the danger man and double up on him stop his space and time on the ball. forcing to go deeper to get the ball 

We change formation yesterday for the first team since the lost at Oldham. we changed formations in the previous 2 games to get a draw and a win. 

Bennett wasn't use enough in the first half and Bell was 10 to 15 yards to deeper. Bell far too casual for me positional 

2 hours ago, McClarky said:

Because it’s strange to the players. They’ve probably played a handful of games against 10-15 years in a 4, and it shows.  

Can we please all make this about the team and ittactics rather than about an inter board sniping contest.

Williams played in a 3 at the back at Bristol City for full season as the left centre back. 

Bennett played as right wing back for Bristol City as right wing back in the championship for half a season before Lambert signed him here. 

Bell played left wing back role for Fleetwood this season and last

Mulgrew played it at Celtic and Scotland 

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Chaddy.  Williams is terrible with the ball and we lack width higher up the pitch with wing backs -so struggle to create.  It doesn't work at home.  

Away, it may make us tighter at the back so could work on occasions although not if we are chasing a game.  

I like watching teams that play with wingers and Rovers traditionally have...and been reasonably successful.

not conceded using 3-5-2 formation in the last 3 games. 

I like my teams having different formations and styles we can use during a season. 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I grow so weary of listening to fans talk about it being “simple”, “clear cut”, “obvious” et al. If it’s such an easy sport, why aren’t you working in it? Have an opinion but please remember this is a professional sport. 

We need to win games, and the clear and simple fact is we’ve won 19 out of 33 so far thanks to the team as a whole, good signings, effort, motivation etc.

Things could be better, but to come on here suggesting “well that puts the formation to bed” when we’ve actually used it (successfully might I add)for at least 45 minutes of the previous 3 games (and funnily enough not conceded a goal with 3atb)

The lacklustre way we’ve started in the 4231 recently doesn’t mean we don’t suit that system, it probably means (since we’ve lost once in 6 months) that other teams are more prepared for that. Having a choice of shape is important. 

As for Evans, does he play if Travis isn’t suspended? Personally I don’t think so, and I don’t think Corry thinks that either because he looked drained of confidence. Time is running out on his career for me, and I don’t think he can cut it in the third tier.

Oh, and “relegation certs” Bury have one of the biggest budgets in league one, hadn’t lost in 6 games and obviously have been better organised since our last meeting. No games are easy at this level. The cherry on a frustrating cake for me is the fans last night; booing short corners? Get a grip - how many direct headers have we scored against league one defenders from corners this season? The answer to that should explain why it’s worth working on alternatives. Embarrassing 

great post pal. 

Yes you are correct that we have lacklustre and created not much in the first half in 4-2-3-1 formation in recent but we shouldn't give it on it. Teams have worked out how we played and now sit deeper and stay compact in centre areas to restricted Dack's space and time on the ball. 

Yes I made that point last night that 3-5-2 formation had been used in previous games to get us a draw after being 2 nil down and to win at Portsmouth away aswell. But certain posters don't acknowledge and choose to ignore it cos its not their favourite formation. 

having a choice of different formations is important as we can change it easier and the players are comfortable in using different systems. 

we are top of the league and still people have to be negative and nick pick at certain things. just cant be happy and praised the players and Mowbray. 

Ryan Lowe set Bury up well and better organised than our previous meetings. hope they stay up but Lowe should be given the job permanent in the summer whether they stay up or not

and finally didn't understand the booing at our taking short corners

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well said. Rochdale drew with spurs,Wigan bet city. There are no easy games when the opposition are up for it. We have had a target on our head since the first day of the season. It's a credit to mowbray and the players that we are top of the league. Have some of your forgotten where we have come from after the last 7 seasons? 

What I find hilarious is fans criticising mowbrays selections and tactics but then as an alternative suggest the most ludicrous formations with players out of positions themselves. 

We won 2-0 and are top of the league. It seems most people are finding faults though. Long way to go,but I'm feeling confident. 

Yes I think some fans have forgotten the last 7 seasons and some of the poor managers we had and some rubbish signings. Mowbray has built his own squad this squad and we started slowly but that's was down to adapt to the league and the way you have to play at this level. The spirit within the club has completely change in the last 18 months and should a feel good factor. Mowbray deserves a lot of credit aswell the players do. 

I laugh at some fans suggest formation and people written off formations without even giving them a proper chances in games. as Mowbray said in his pre match Bury conference that the players have been working on 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 formations since the start of the season. The teams we faced have worked out who our key players are and double up on them. 

55 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agree Philip, hate to say it but when Dyche got ****ley promoted I think he used only 18 players. Consistency is key and unfortunately at this time Mowbray has no idea what his best team is.

sorry but football is squad game and we have some bad injuries this season with Evans, Whittingham, Antonsson, Lenihan, Chapman. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Dack has been playing 10 role recently but having to drop deeper cos the opposite have worked out he the danger man and double up on him stop his space and time on the ball. forcing to go deeper to get the ball 

W

Williams played in a 3 at the back at Bristol City for full season as the left centre back. 

Bennett played as right wing back for Bristol City as right wing back in the championship for half a season before Lambert signed him here. 

I like my teams having different formations and styles we can use during a season. 

great post pal. 

Yes you are correct that we have lacklustre and created not much in the first half in 4-2-3-1 formation in recent but we shouldn't give it on it. Teams have worked out how we played and now sit deeper and stay compact in centre areas to restricted Dack's space and time on the ball. 

Yes I made that point last night that 3-5-2 formation had been used in previous games to get us a draw after being 2 nil down and to win at Portsmouth away aswell. But certain posters don't acknowledge and choose to ignore it cos its not their favourite formation. 

having a choice of different formations is important as we can change it easier and the players are comfortable in using different systems. 

we are top of the league and still people have to be negative and nick pick at certain things. just cant be happy and praised the players and Mowbray. 

Ryan Lowe set Bury up well and better organised than our previous meetings. hope they stay up but Lowe should be given the job permanent in the summer whether they stay up or not

Yes I think some fans have forgotten the last 7 seasons and some of the poor managers we had and some rubbish signings. Mowbray has built his own squad this squad and we started slowly but that's was down to adapt to the league and the way you have to play at this level. The spirit within the club has completely change in the last 18 months and should a feel good factor. Mowbray deserves a lot of credit aswell the players do. 

I laugh at some fans suggest formation and people written off formations without even giving them a proper chances in games. as Mowbray said in his pre match Bury conference that the players have been working on 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 formations since the start of the season. The teams we faced have worked out who our key players are and double up on them. 

sorry but football is squad game and we have some bad injuries this season with Evans, Whittingham, Antonsson, Lenihan, Chapman. 

It was one and a half games in the last three where a three has been used. And after going to a three against Oldham and Portsmouth he went to a four later on against Bury.

It's like an episode of Soap at times.

Confused -  you will be. 

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are top of the league so he must be doing something right. 

His hand has been forced because of injuries to some extent with regards to who he picks to start. Travis would probably have played last night instead of Evans if fit. His rotation of Graham and Armstrong depending on whether we are home or away has paid huge dividends. 

The height is over simplistic. We could do with a no nonsense hard man centre back and possibly a target man for when we are battling in the trenches against some stubborn side who are parking the bus, but these "big lumps" would need to be able to play football too. Who would you like to see us sign to fill those 2 roles? Because players like that aren't just been opffered around. 

exactly we top of the league and some fans still have to find fault. 

Travis would have started if he hadn't be suspended in my opinion

much happy we got Lenihan back now 

Just now, arbitro said:

It was one and a half games in the last three. Don't try and rewrite history to support your argument.

nobody was rewrite history tho but stated we use 2 different formation to get 7 points from last 3 games. and still people moan

I said we used the 3-5-2 formation to get a draw after being 2 nil down to Oldham at half time and change it second half at Portsmouth to get the win after they scored. 

we changed it about 62 mins yesterday to 4-2-3-1 formation. 

If you read Mowbrays comments post match he wasn't happy with the way we played neither. Try and see some of it as constructive even if it differs from what you think.

nobody was rewrite history tho but stated we use 2 different formation to get 7 points from last 3 games. and still people moan

I said we used the 3-5-2 formation to get a draw after being 2 nil down to Oldham at half time and change it second half at Portsmouth to get the win after they scored. 

we changed it about 62 mins yesterday to 4-2-3-1 formation. 

I don't want to prolong this debate but do you really think it was the change in formation against Oldham and Portsmouth that gained us some points? I would argue it was as much the personnel changes.

Just now, arbitro said:

I don't want to prolong this debate but do you really think it was the change in formation against Oldham and Portsmouth that gained us some points? I would argue it was as much the personnel changes.

Lets all agree so that it was a combination of both :) 

Tony Mowbrays blue and white army 

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Worrying thing for me is that Dack's suitors will have increased last night. Being on TV and pretty much toying with them in the last third of the game just showed that he is at least a level higher than this league.

and? 

who says we would sell? 

Just now, arbitro said:

If you read Mowbrays comments post match he wasn't happy with the way we played neither. Try and see some of it as constructive even if it differs from what you think.

didn't I say yesterday in my first post after that we wasn't at our best and first half was poor

my quote was

"very pleased to get the win tonight, 3 points and be top of league

we didn't reach the highs we can performances wise but I will take any win and that's all that matters in the league. "

Just now, arbitro said:

I would say both actually. 

playing Armstrong up front with Graham against got us the point against Oldham. 

Bringing on Lenihan against Portsmouth and moving 3 at the back with Graham and Armstrong up front put Armstrong move central and he was he right place at the right time to score. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray himself said we didnt play well. When you know your argument is a bit flaky you always resort to "fans find fault", "people moan" etc. 

Travis could have cost us with his stupidity at Fratton Park. Not sure hes done enough to command a regular place.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We change formation yesterday for the first team since the lost at Oldham. we changed formations in the previous 2 games to get a draw and a win. 

Bennett wasn't use enough in the first half and Bell was 10 to 15 yards to deeper. Bell far too casual for me positional 

great post pal. 

Simplicity is key at times, i dont get such a strong urge to keep changing formations. No one is saying we shouldnt change the formation, this means Mowbray is rubbish. Its just i feel like yesterday we looked like a team devoid of understanding of what it was doing with 3 at the back, it meant the attackers were starved due to the slowness of our play, Lenihan and Williams kept giving it away, our strengths come in to play when we press high, we have interchanges and speed in our passing. You can tell how well we will play after 5 or 10 minutes and it was such a slow start. Was horrendous to watch. We won though so hopefully hes learnt to leave this experiment for another season.

The corners were awful, yes 1 or 2 short corners can keep the other team on their toes but yesterday they were aimless and often didnt get anywhere near the box. 3 centre backs waiting for nothing repeatedly.

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Worrying thing for me is that Dack's suitors will have increased last night. Being on TV and pretty much toying with them in the last third of the game just showed that he is at least a level higher than this league.

As will we be in a few months!

(Not saying he won't have some suitors in the summer, but can only see clubs that are able to pay absolute megabucks being a viable option). 

Got the job done and that's all that matters but we do seem to enjoy making life hard work for ourselves. I wouldn't even like to try to guess our starting XI or attempted formation on Saturday at Walsall. I do think that we would benefit from having a settled regular starting XI and consistent formation but couldn't care less really IF we're collecting the 3 points. Mowbray can do what he likes IF we win. When we don't then I'll raise more queries of his tinkering.

Evans filling the Lowe void and becoming the pantomime villain. Yes he was poor, as were all of them in the first half. Worth bearing in mind he's barely kicked a ball in anger since November and last night was his first start in months. Yes his injuries are becoming a major problem and he's never fit and I expect this season will be his last at the club but do feel he needs SOME slack given his reintroduction to the team. I'm sure nobody really expected Lenihan to be 100% given his lengthy absence either.

Anybody fancy TM having a go with a 2-3-5 formation? 

We have 13 "cup" games coming up and using history to prove a point our most successful cup unbeaten (24 games, 1884-86) run was made with using a 2-3-5 formation probably, , history proves it works, and nob end used it when they won the unbeaten double, more proof :), certainly more games won by it than 3-5-2

Start using it on Saturday and will get better with time because we have all the time in the world to get out of this division.

Obviously a bit of a tinker is needed to fit the (breathe in, orgasm , breathe out) number 10 role in , so 2-3-1-4? Which players would you pick for that tactic?

Just now, JHRover said:

Got the job done and that's all that matters but we do seem to enjoy making life hard work for ourselves. I wouldn't even like to try to guess our starting XI or attempted formation on Saturday at Walsall. I do think that we would benefit from having a settled regular starting XI and consistent formation but couldn't care less really IF we're collecting the 3 points. Mowbray can do what he likes IF we win. When we don't then I'll raise more queries of his tinkering.

Evans filling the Lowe void and becoming the pantomime villain. Yes he was poor, as were all of them in the first half. Worth bearing in mind he's barely kicked a ball in anger since November and last night was his first start in months. Yes his injuries are becoming a major problem and he's never fit and I expect this season will be his last at the club but do feel he needs SOME slack given his reintroduction to the team. I'm sure nobody really expected Lenihan to be 100% given his lengthy absence either.

haha I tried by guessing three possible formations and lineups for the Bury game - thought I would have a better chance of finally guessing right. Nope - he stumped me again.

We don't have the personnel to play 3-5-2, certain players may have played it at other clubs, doesn't mean they were any good at it or it fitted their style of play. 

We looked so much more fluid when we went to a 4-4-2 last night, as we were able to move to a 4-3-3 when required and 4-4-1-1 when defending. 3-5-2 is so restrictive and really doesn't work for us as we basically end up with 7 defenders and 3 attackers, only 1 of which is capable of getting behind the last man.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray himself said we didnt play well. When you know your argument is a bit flaky you always resort to "fans find fault", "people moan" etc. 

Travis could have cost us with his stupidity at Fratton Park. Not sure hes done enough to command a regular place.

Simplicity is key at times, i dont get such a strong urge to keep changing formations. No one is saying we shouldnt change the formation, this means Mowbray is rubbish. Its just i feel like yesterday we looked like a team devoid of understanding of what it was doing with 3 at the back, it meant the attackers were starved due to the slowness of our play, Lenihan and Williams kept giving it away, our strengths come in to play when we press high, we have interchanges and speed in our passing. You can tell how well we will play after 5 or 10 minutes and it was such a slow start. Was horrendous to watch. We won though so hopefully hes learnt to leave this experiment for another season.

The corners were awful, yes 1 or 2 short corners can keep the other team on their toes but yesterday they were aimless and often didnt get anywhere near the box. 3 centre backs waiting for nothing repeatedly.

haven't I address your 1st point previous post. 

Travis didn't cost us tho. 

Experiment? what Experiement? its a formation we have been working on in training for months and Mowbray said this pre Bury match in his press conference. 

We used 3-5-2 formation in the Oldham to get a draws after being 2 nil at half time and to get a win at Portsmouth. 

in certain games we played 4-2-3-1 formation and we been slow in possession and other teams have stop us playing our game. 3-5-2 formation gives us a plan B and different way of playing.  

we have 90 minutes to win a game and don't have to win it in the 1st 20 mins, We do start slow and have done for a while. Bennett wanted the ball but Lenihan kept playing it long to Graham. Also think it would have better if we had Whittingham or Travis in centre midfield and not Evans who has been poor all season. 

anyway we got 3 points and we are top of the league, lets enjoy the day and relax

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I've been supporting the idea of switching to a 3-4-1-2 since we signed Bell. I was hopeful for the first 5 mins but it just didn't work.

People have highlighted the big diagonal from Lenihan being over used but he was doing this because he had no options. Bennett would hug the touchline and was covered there was a pass and return option from the CM but nothing in front of him. I thought the front 2 and dack were too static, nobody was moving into the right channel where the space was opening up. we just weren't as fluid as i'd hoped. it was the 2 wide centre backs who looked least comfortable in the first half. Maybe they just need more time playing this way, maybe they should just stick with what they know, I don't know but i'd like to have the option.

Other thoughts, Payne is a good footballer but I don't know where to fit him in when we've got Dack. Mowbray will have to make a decision sooner or later between Bell or Williams. And then theres Corey Evans, who a nice through ball to Bell aside just let the game pass him by both in possession and without. I've never fully understood what he offered us, what kind of player he is. If he can't look good now in league 1 his Rovers career is going to be over very soon.

Players of Evans type are all wrong for that starting system last night as you end up being set up to counter attack but when they get the ball it seems all about possession across the back four and slow side ways and backwards. Not his fault really he's good at doing that but there is no flow to the team then after you've draw the oppo out it gets punted long instead of someone flying down the wing.

He plays it to accommodate he's admitted as much and it's annoying but he will be proved right by May or very wrong it's his head on the block.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, TBTF said:

Not one for now and we should at least enjoy sitting top but I watched us last night and thought how badly that lot would struggle in the championship.

I used to think so too, but the Championship really does have some utter dross in it. Bolton have managed to climb out of the relegation zone and I wouldn't say their squad is that much better than ours. Preston are pushing for the playoffs and their team is nothing to shout about either. I actually think Mowbray's over-cautious personality would be better suited to the Championship where we would be the underdogs in most matches (it's really sad to be saying that considering a few years ago we were gunning for the playoffs, but we are where we are, thanks Venky's). 

• Moderation Lead

We weren’t very good last night, particularly first half, but we got the job done in the end. 

Bell is really not suited to being a winger and should be left back or nothing. Evans was the pantomime villain last night but he wasn’t as bad as some say.

We might as well enjoy the view from the top of the tree and hope that the Gills spring a surprise against the Shrews tonight.

Archived