BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

• Moderation Lead
39 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But at least we still are Blackburn Rovers

But they play in the same stadium, in the same colours and they’re still Rangers Football Club. This Celtic thing of calling them Sevco/Zombies or derivatives of, is all a bit sad, IMO.

Celtic are way better than Rangers, not sure why they don’t just enjoy that tbh.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

But they play in the same stadium, in the same colours and they’re still Rangers Football Club. This Celtic thing of calling them Sevco/Zombies or derivatives of, is all a bit sad, IMO.

Celtic are way better than Rangers, not sure why they don’t just enjoy that tbh.

But it is a legal fact regardless of you finding it sad or not. The club that operated under the trading name The Rangers Football Club PLC was liquidated, the new club operates under the trading name The Rangers Football Club Ltd. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

But it is a legal fact regardless of you finding it sad or not. The club that operated under the trading name The Rangers Football Club PLC was liquidated, the new club operates under the trading name The Rangers Football Club Ltd. 

In the scheme of things, it doesn’t even matter, tbh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

In the scheme of things, it doesn’t even matter, tbh.

Of course not. It's cruel really. Should they just throw all their trophies away? Get rid of the 1971 memorial? 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Are you seriously suggesting that if all that had happened to Burnley we wouldn’t be doing the same thing? Because I’m absolutely sure I would!

The old Rangers won several trophies as a direct result of breaking the rules and giving themselves a financial advantage over Celtic. Therefore a bit of banter over their new status and ‘Sevco’ etc is the least they can expect tbh.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

IMG_1957.jpeg

Who gives a fuck about either of these Mickey Mouse teams and their droves of plastic fans?

At least all the glory hunters that follow Liverpool and the red scum are following teams that have won numerous major trophies and actual pedigree in world football.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Scottish football on the whole is bloody terrible though! Genuinely on a par with the bits and bobs of womens football that I've witnessed

Even there national team is a joke considering the decent pool of players they often have, yet whichever useless national manager they have at the time usually picks the most awful squads and seems to discriminate against players that they don't consider 'scotish enough'😅

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Scottish football on the whole is bloody terrible though! Genuinely on a par with the bits and bobs of womens football that I've witnessed

And where do you think English football would be without oligarchs, sheikhs, consortiums and worldwide investors queuing to get a piece of the cake due to massive tv revenues.

Before folk start knocking Scottish football, comparisons should be made before the advent of Sky tv and the monies that flowed into the English game thereafter.

With England having a population of 57 million and Scotland one of 5 million, comparisons have always been flawed but for one of the smaller nations of the world, Scotland have always punched way above their weight.

I’ve Scottish blood in me and I’m immensely proud of it and proud of Scottish football, past and present. I was at Celtic Park yesterday, in Stirling today and off to Mull tomorrow. I couldn’t be happier.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

And where do you think English football would be without oligarchs, sheikhs, consortiums and worldwide investors queuing to get a piece of the cake due to massive tv revenues.

Before folk start knocking Scottish football, comparisons should be made before the advent of Sky tv and the monies that flowed into the English game thereafter.

With England having a population of 57 million and Scotland one of 5 million, comparisons have always been flawed but for one of the smaller nations of the world, Scotland have always punched way above their weight.

I’ve Scottish blood in me and I’m immensely proud of it and proud of Scottish football, past and present. I was at Celtic Park yesterday, in Stirling today and off to Mull tomorrow. I couldn’t be happier.

When we were kids and probably through to the mid nineties pretty much every First Division or latterly Premier League clubs had several Scottish players in their team (not squad). The riches that Sky brought meant that rather than looking at players from Scotland the player influx became global. I watch quite a few Scottish games and there are definitely players there who could make the step up to Championship or even Premier League. It's almost snobbery from the vast majority of clubs who look down their nose. For a club like ours it should be a real area for recruitment given our constraints.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Who gives a fuck about either of these Mickey Mouse teams and their droves of plastic fans?

At least all the glory hunters that follow Liverpool and the red scum are following teams that have won numerous major trophies and actual pedigree in world football.

Who was the first British club to win the European Cup?

You talk of Liverpool where did they get their greatest ever player (King Kenny) from?

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Immensely proud of Scottish football but not Rangers FC, eh?

The advent of Sky money and the rise in power and wealth of English football doesn't explain the decline in the quality and numbers of players coming out of Scotland. Go back to the 1960s to 1980s and some / most of the best players in the British game were Scots but they are few and far between now.

Why do you think that is? 

38 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The advent of Sky money and the rise in power and wealth of English football doesn't explain the decline in the quality and numbers of players coming out of Scotland. Go back to the 1960s to 1980s and some / most of the best players in the British game were Scots but they are few and far between now.

Quite a few of the best Scottish players in the past were "hard men" types, the game has changed to the extent that those types of players are not played as much, due to the amount of free-kicks, bookings and sending offs they would accrew. This may be a reason for the decline in players coming to English clubs.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I think it’s really ignorant to call Rangers and Celtic

‘Mickey Mouse’ clubs, when they’re two of the best supported in Britain tbh. 
With that being said, I don’t really get people supporting Celtic or Rangers alongside an English club, as I’ve always been one to just support Rovers and nobody else, but to each their own!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

With that being said, I don’t really get people supporting Celtic or Rangers alongside an English club, as I’ve always been one to just support Rovers and nobody else, but to each their own!

Yeah the "Old Firm" are great games to watch whilst nursing that Sunday morning hangover but that's about it, really

I will always be more on the side of Rangers for obvious reasons, but the result won't make me lose any sleep for sure

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The worst thing about Scottish football is, in fact, Celtic and Rangers, according to an Aberdeen supporting friend who says their fans are almost all “horrible people” and that they and most other clubs dread the games against them. They’d love to see both clubs disappear into a British or European league just to be shot of them. 

For what it’s worth, I follow Ross County if only because I watched a game there during a holiday in the area. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Who was the first British club to win the European Cup?

You talk of Liverpool where did they get their greatest ever player (King Kenny) from?

Arguably their greatest current player also did a decent stint at Celtic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Come on Jim, ask anyone who both follows Celtic and is proud of Scottish football, if they are proud of Rangers. You’ll get the same answer every time. Whilst a significant proportion of Celtic fans are either Irish or of Irish decent, there are plenty of ‘Scottish’ Celtic fans from both sides of the religious divide (not that the latter really matters).

Regarding the ‘horrible’ people bit, I can only really speak for Celtic fans. I walked back into the city centre after the Rovers friendly a couple of seasons ago. Chatted to a few, no hint of trouble or animosity anywhere and there were plenty of Rovers fans wearing colours. Those on our bus to games (I try and get up once a month) are nice people, no different to you and I and I class them as real friends.

I think the main reason why there has been a drop off in Scottish talent these days is that a lot of young kids now prefer to play inside the house on their PlayStations and other devices rather than choose a sport. In my day, I kicked a ball outside against a wall for hours or played footy in the street. Either that, or I was outside in the woods, climbing trees and jumping streams until it went dark. Those days seem to have long gone. 

England’s national team has a wealth of talent at the moment and has had for a few seasons now. It seems to be in good hands but back in the 60s and 70s a much larger percentage of English players came through and rose to international level. Then, they had to serve an apprenticeship of a couple of years in the under 21s or under 23s before being ready as a ‘full’ internationals. Some never made it, players as good as Howard Kendall, for example. With a population of only 5.4 million, there just aren’t the numbers nowadays, in Scotland, to keep Scotland at the forefront of international football.

23 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Come on Jim, ask anyone who both follows Celtic and is proud of Scottish football, if they are proud of Rangers. You’ll get the same answer every time. Whilst a significant proportion of Celtic fans are either Irish or of Irish decent, there are plenty of ‘Scottish’ Celtic fans from both sides of the religious divide (not that the latter really matters).

Regarding the ‘horrible’ people bit, I can only really speak for Celtic fans. I walked back into the city centre after the Rovers friendly a couple of seasons ago. Chatted to a few, no hint of trouble or animosity anywhere and there were plenty of Rovers fans wearing colours. Those on our bus to games (I try and get up once a month) are nice people, no different to you and I and I class them as real friends.

I think the main reason why there has been a drop off in Scottish talent these days is that a lot of young kids now prefer to play inside the house on their PlayStations and other devices rather than choose a sport. In my day, I kicked a ball outside against a wall for hours or played footy in the street. Either that, or I was outside in the woods, climbing trees and jumping streams until it went dark. Those days seem to have long gone. 

England’s national team has a wealth of talent at the moment and has had for a few seasons now. It seems to be in good hands but back in the 60s and 70s a much larger percentage of English players came through and rose to international level. Then, they had to serve an apprenticeship of a couple of years in the under 21s or under 23s before being ready as a ‘full’ internationals. Some never made it, players as good as Howard Kendall, for example. With a population of only 5.4 million, there just aren’t the numbers nowadays, in Scotland, to keep Scotland at the forefront of international football.

For the Rovers - Celtic Uefa Cup tie back in the early 2000s for reasons best not explained I managed to get a ticket among Celtic fans, which was interesting to say the least but I was determined to go. Before the game I went with a Celtic supporting friend to a big Celtic pub, a brilliant and quite posh place in the centre of the city, and then walked through the east end to the game past boisterous Celtic bars and clubs. We went back to the same pub after the match.

I have to say I met with no animosity anywhere and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, not the result of course but Rovers played really well and should have won the game. 

The return match at Ewood was completely different and gave a taste of perhaps what my Aberdeen friend was talking about with regards to "horrible" people. I saw Celtic fans hanging off lampposts (literally) and jumping on cars, waving Irish flags and swearing at anyone within earshot about "English b******" and "Protestant" this and that. It was deeply unpleasant and you can see why many Scottish clubs fears Celtic (and Rangers presumably) fans coming to town.

The decline in quality of Scottish players is puzzling because kids in other countries have the same technology and those countries have continued to produce top players. In the past Scotland, like England, could rely on a ready and constant supply of talented street footballers but in the post-industrial economy those factories and streets and working class communities no longer exist. It requires hard work (and money) to produce top players now and as an outsider it seems to me Scottish football has been slow to come to terms with what is required with regards to academies and coaching. 

• Like 3

Yep, I agree entirely with what you say. For the game at Celtic Park in 2003, a group of eight of us went up and stayed over after the game. Before the game, we went in bars on the Gallowgate and we stayed out in the city centre afterwards until the early hours. No hint of trouble at all. As you say, the ‘experience’ at Ewood was different. I think the police, local authority and hierarchy at Ewood tried to organise things with some trepidation. From memory, I recall the Cavendish being open more or less all day to cater for the Celtic support. You’ll be aware (obviously) that Glasgow is a tough, working class city and to give a large chunk of their support an opportunity to get bladdered at will maybe wasn’t the best idea. Probably a damned if you do, damned if you don’t moment but there you go.

8 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Football quality wise it's still pretty crap though isn't it🤷‍♂️ 

59 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Football quality wise it's still pretty crap though isn't it🤷‍♂️ 

It’s not the best, no. It needs a stronger Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United to make the league more competitive. St Mirren and Kilmarnock have made progress in the last couple of seasons but it’s not enough.

6 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

It’s not the best, no. It needs a stronger Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United to make the league more competitive. St Mirren and Kilmarnock have made progress in the last couple of seasons but it’s not enough.

Perhaps if the droves of Celtic and Rangers plastic glory hunting fans actually supprted their local clubs instead of following those two around maybe the Scottish league wouldn't be so diabolically bad.

The clubs themselves may not be Mickey Mouse but the majority of their fans certainly are.

One question, there are hundreds of clubs in Scotland that a person who claims Scottish heritage could support so why is it that you picked Celtic? Why not Falkirk or Cowdenbeath or Hearts or Dundee?

As far as I'm concerned you support your local team, regardless of how shit they are. That's what real fans do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Perhaps if the droves of Celtic and Rangers plastic glory hunting fans actually supprted their local clubs instead of following those two around maybe the Scottish league wouldn't be so diabolically bad.

The clubs themselves may not be Mickey Mouse but the majority of their fans certainly are.

One question, there are hundreds of clubs in Scotland that a person who claims Scottish heritage could support so why is it that you picked Celtic? Why not Falkirk or Cowdenbeath or Hearts or Dundee?

As far as I'm concerned you support your local team, regardless of how shit they are. That's what real fans do.

Well, at least you’ve backtracked and now admitted the two clubs themselves aren’t Mickey Mouse. And you’ve stopped effing and blinding, which is a start to a decent conversation. 

There is a Celtic song which includes the lyrics, ‘If you know the history’ and if you do, you’ll get the picture as to why folk from all over Scotland and elsewhere choose Celtic above their local team. I partly explained it to you the other week and I’m not going over it again.

For someone claiming to ‘not give a f*ck’ you seem to be taking quite an interest in the Celtic/Rangers debate. This is a thread on all things Scottish football, loads of things to discuss and plenty of folk on here seem to take a genuine interest.

If you ‘don’t give a f*ck’ just simply scroll on by. 

• Like 1