BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

20 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Wow we have 3 million plus wages to spend on a single player...

I can think we guarantee a couple of seven figure signings now,  just depends on which list!!

Also the Shrewsbury players are going to Ipswich (their ex manager is there)

Got to feel for Shrews fans. Echoes of Furphy, returning for Field, Garbett and Bradford....

6 minutes ago, Neal said:

You need goals from everywhere. Not sure any of the promoted sides had a twenty goal a season striker. 

We need one to support Dack and Graham. Samuel and Nuttall certainly don't, sorry can't provide the answer.

7 minutes ago, Neal said:

You need goals from everywhere. Not sure any of the promoted sides had a twenty goal a season striker. 

We had a twenty goal a season striker in Rhodes and we didn't pull any trees up. I loved Rhodes but like you say, need goals throughout the team. 

10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I get your point. On the other hand, we'd have gone down in that first season without him!

Exactly, 20 goal a season striker and you're in a relegation battle! If you've got everyone chipping in you'll be nearer the top of the pile than the bottom. Need to get the balance right. 

44 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

...well the LT believes there are seven-figure deals on the cards for Mowbray’s top targets (and TM is now back to 4 new faces coming in). One of these outlets has contact with Mowbray and the club. While Nixon apparently knows what Lukas Nmecha is talking about with his mates - but had nothing to say on Palmer.

Apologies.  I should have added the rolls eyes emoji!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

Sharpe on Twitter says “they could afford the (for Armstrong) deal despite it being expensive with wages thrown in. TM thinks he can get more proven players for the same money”.

He's changed his tune completely then. A week or two again he was writing online that we'd enquired about Armstrong at some point but the player would have to lower his expectations re wages before the deal would be a goer.

If we had that sort of money to spend I'd have expected our targets to be here several weeks ago. It's the easiest thing in the world to claim you had money to spend then say you kept your powder dry because the right players never became available. It was John Williams favourite trick to deflect attention away from the Walker Trust.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
40 minutes ago, JAL said:

Here you are Khod what do you make of this ?

Am I, correct in saying we even had a scouse player Downing commenting on how good it was for local lad Scott Warton to go out on loan to Lincoln. 

Downing isn’t scouse....

Unless you believe that Scousers come from Somerset, I’m not underestimating you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He's changed his tune completely then. A week or two again he was writing online that we'd enquired about Armstrong at some point but the player would have to lower his expectations re wages before the deal would be a goer.

If we had that sort of money to spend I'd have expected our targets to be here several weeks ago. It's the easiest thing in the world to claim you had money to spend then say you kept your powder dry because the right players never became available. It was John Williams favourite trick to deflect attention away from the Walker Trust.

Let’s wait until the transfer window shuts before arguing about how much we have to spend. None of us have any idea, but Sharpe probably has some indication.

7 minutes ago, Butty said:

Exactly, 20 goal a season striker and you're in a relegation battle! If you've got everyone chipping in you'll be nearer the top of the pile than the bottom. Need to get the balance right. 

Agreed. What was worse under Bowyer is that we had Gestede and Rhodes, banging them in, yet we were only ever in the play off positions for an hour or something!

21 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

You must be mad! Gally has scored in this league. AA hasn’t 

Armstrong 16/17 for Barnsley 34 games, 6 goals. Gallagher 17/18 for Birmingham 33 games 6 goals. Huge difference. He scored 11 in 46 for us, hardly prolific.

Arma career:

2014– Newcastle United 17 (0)
2015–2016 → Coventry City (loan) 40 (20)
2016–2017 → Barnsley (loan) 34 (6)
2017 → Bolton Wanderers (loan) 20 (1)
2018 → Blackburn Rovers (loan) 21 (9

Gally career:

2013– Southampton 18 (1)
2015–2016 → Milton Keynes Dons (loan) 13 (0)
2016–2017 → Blackburn Rovers (loan) 43 (11)
2017–2018 → Birmingham City (loan) 33 (6)

Both have played for England at youth level and Armstrong has by far the better stats:

Arma: 

2012–2013 England U16 6 (2)
2013–2014 England U17 12 (10)
2014–2015 England U18 9 (8)
2015–2016 England U19 9 (3)
2016–2017 England U20 13 (7)
2018– England U21 5 (1)

Gally:

2013 Scotland U19 3 (1)
2014 England U19 3 (1)
2015 England U20 4 (1)

Arma is a year younger and has had the better career so far.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

I'd rather take a forward who had a goals to games ratio of 1 in every 2 League One games (Armstrong) than 1 in every 6 last season and 1 in every 4 the season before in the Championship (Gallagher).

There is a very high chance we won’t  be buying or loaning either Gallagher or Armstrong based on TM’s comments. I’ve just got this slim hope that we’ve kept a target very quiet and out of the media, just like Palmer.

Edited by JeffRover

14 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Just on Gallagher...

18 in 107 championship appearances is a poor goal return. Hes proven over a decent period of time that he cannot score enough goals to really be considered a capable Championship goalscorer.

He also doesnt fit the role that you would want from a lone striker. He cant hold the ball up or play with his back to goal, he has neither the strength or the intelligence.

He is amidst a group of strikers that Mowbray has had, Gallagher, Samuel, Antonsson and Armstrong, all of whom would probably see themselves as number 9's, and all of whom whilst Mowbray has flirted with the idea of playing them central, he has tended not to trust them long term in that position, clearly valuing Graham in that position and playing them wide instead as the wide forwards he professes to like so much, as all 4 are better facing the goal with their mobility than with their back to it. Mowbray clearly values the excellent hold up that Graham provides, albeit his body is on the wane with age.

If I remember rightly, Gallagher scored quite a lot of his goals playing in a 4-4-2 formation under Coyle. He often had Graham doing the dirty work for him in a formation that otherwise was incredibly flawed, and he wouldnt have that luxury now that we have Palmer and specifically Dack, meaning that if Gallagher played in our team, you would think it would be with Dack off him as a lone striker, and for reasons that ive already explained, hes not suited to it. 

I also cannot see us affording him anyway. I would like to think that Mowbray has a few non ex-Rovers in his sights as well that can live up to the hype that seems to be building in regards to the funds apparently available, and the fact that players considered better than Armstrong and Chapman are in his sights. That said, @chaddyrovers always says to trust Mowbray. I do but sadly, I know never to think Venkys will spend any money until the ink has dried on the contract.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Just on Gallagher...

18 in 107 championship appearances is a poor goal return. Hes proven over a decent period of time that he cannot score enough goals to really be considered a capable Championship goalscorer.

He also doesnt fit the role that you would want from a lone striker. He cant hold the ball up or play with his back to goal, he has neither the strength or the intelligence.

He is amidst a group of strikers that Mowbray has had, Gallagher, Samuel, Antonsson and Armstrong, all of whom would probably see themselves as number 9's, and all of whom whilst Mowbray has flirted with the idea of playing them central, he has tended not to trust them long term in that position, clearly valuing Graham in that position and playing them wide instead as the wide forwards he professes to like so much, as all 4 are better facing the goal with their mobility than with their back to it. Mowbray clearly values the excellent hold up that Graham provides, albeit his body is on the wane with age.

If I remember rightly, Gallagher scored quite a lot of his goals playing in a 4-4-2 formation under Coyle. He often had Graham doing the dirty work for him in a formation that otherwise was incredibly flawed, and he wouldnt have that luxury now that we have Palmer and specifically Dack, meaning that if Gallagher played in our team, you would think it would be with Dack off him as a lone striker, and for reasons that ive already explained, hes not suited to it. 

I also cannot see us affording him anyway. I would like to think that Mowbray has a few non ex-Rovers in his sights as well that can live up to the hype that seems to be building in regards to the funds apparently available, and the fact that players considered better than Armstrong and Chapman are in his sights. That said, @chaddyrovers always says to trust Mowbray. I do but sadly, I know never to think Venkys will spend any money until the ink has dried on the contract.

Fair play that’s a good post and find myself agreeing with the majority of it

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

I'd rather take a forward who had a goals to games ratio of 1 in every 2 League One games (Armstrong) than 1 in every 6 last season and 1 in every 4 the season before in the Championship (Gallagher).

16 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Armstrong 16/17 for Barnsley 34 games, 6 goals. Gallagher 17/18 for Birmingham 33 games 6 goals. Huge difference. He scored 11 in 46 for us, hardly prolific.

Arma career:

2014– Newcastle United 17 (0)
2015–2016 → Coventry City (loan) 40 (20)
2016–2017 → Barnsley (loan) 34 (6)
2017 → Bolton Wanderers (loan) 20 (1)
2018 → Blackburn Rovers (loan) 21 (9

Gally career:

2013– Southampton 18 (1)
2015–2016 → Milton Keynes Dons (loan) 13 (0)
2016–2017 → Blackburn Rovers (loan) 43 (11)
2017–2018 → Birmingham City (loan) 33 (6)

Both have played for England at youth level and Armstrong has by far the better stats:

Arma: 

2012–2013 England U16 6 (2)
2013–2014 England U17 12 (10)
2014–2015 England U18 9 (8)
2015–2016 England U19 9 (3)
2016–2017 England U20 13 (7)
2018– England U21 5 (1)

Gally:

2013 Scotland U19 3 (1)
2014 England U19 3 (1)
2015 England U20 4 (1)

Arma is a year younger and has had the better career so far.

I didn’t realise the England goals were indeed that close, appreciate what your both saying I just think Gallagher is a better player by far personally.

2 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

I didn’t realise the England goals were indeed that close, appreciate what your both saying I just think Gallagher is a better player by far personally.

By far? That’s pushing it a bit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

When is the deadline for a player to be eligible for Saturday's game?

Previous seasons I think players had to be registered by midday on the Friday.

I doubt we will see anything happen until next week on transfers