BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

22 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Maybe this doesn’t count as recent, but Josh King?

It’s recent enough, he did well for two seasons looking at his record for Bournemouth.

I would say Nzonzi and Jones and are the only two that have left for fee’s in recent memory and have won major trophies.

I would have expected Diaz to follow a similar path to Rhodes, Gestede and Armstrong if we sold him last season/this January for a big fee.

9 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

It’s recent enough, he did well for two seasons looking at his record for Bournemouth.

I would say Nzonzi and Jones and are the only two that have left for fee’s in recent memory and have won major trophies.

I would have expected Diaz to follow a similar path to Rhodes, Gestede and Armstrong if we sold him last season/this January for a big fee.

We got a fair fee for Jones but N"Zonzi???? What a cock-up.

• Like 2

AA was a lazy off the ball self centred type fwd so not really one that will fit in with JDTs style.

Contrast to the work BBD and Gally and now even Dack have to do compared to Mowbray basically setting the tea up for Armstrong i'm surprised at the clamour theres always been to bring him back.

Good player but the key to his success was TM who knew him inside out and vice versa.

• Like 6

Wouldn’t want Armstrong back. Very one dimensional player. Bit of a flat track bully and rarely did much against the better teams. Overall, he obviously did great for us and wish him well but don’t think he’s the type of player we need. Similar to Rhodes. Great memories but not what we need in today’s team.

• Like 7

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Wouldn’t want Armstrong back. Very one dimensional player. Bit of a flat track bully and rarely did much against the better teams. Overall, he obviously did great for us and wish him well but don’t think he’s the type of player we need. Similar to Rhodes. Great memories but not what we need in today’s team.

We miss a lot of sitters. Armstrong wouldn't.

However I don't feel strongly about it and going back usually doesn't work.

• Like 3

What this ongoing discussion highlights is that we just need someone, anyone, to score one in three simple chances, just hit the bloody target.

Tuesday highlighted that more than ever.

Hopefully Gally and SS will now have the confidence to support TD in the scoring stages. 

For me this is all we are now missing, now we have Diaz as our secret super-sub...

• Like 2

• Backroom

Arma will just be extremely low on confidence and rusty from limited first team appearances. I'm sure as a player he hasn't fallen apart completely.

I wouldn't have him back here for the reasons @tomphilstated, but I think at the right club he could be effective. With that said we should also consider how JDT has managed to get players like Dack working to the preferred style - maybe he could do the same for Armstrong. I highly doubt he'll be back here in the near future regardless, but I wouldn't rule out Tomasson being able to mould Arma into a genuine team player whilst still retaining his goal threat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

AA was never lazy, just selfish. 

Selfishness to a point, is a good trait in a forward. But Armstrongs selfishness went way past that point.

Edited by rigger

For all the people saying they wouldn't have him back, would you swap Armstrong for Vale right now?

He was a Championship goal machine in his last season and he's only 26. Infuriatingly greedy at times, but just imagine if we had a goalscorer of that calibre in the squad for the remainder of this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rigger said:

Selfishness to a point, is a good trait in a forward. But Armstrongs selfishness went way past that point.

He used to shoot a lot because we never had anybody else in the box under Mowbray for him to pass to - maybe Dack. What has been noticeable in recent weeks is that we now tend to get 3 or 4 in the box when attacking. AA may well have been told to shoot on sight because he had a good strike on him. 

We now have a different manager, so different player instructions.

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He used to shoot a lot because we never had anybody else in the box under Mowbray for him to pass to - maybe Dack. What has been noticeable in recent weeks is that we now tend to get 3 or 4 in the box when attacking. AA may well have been told to shoot on sight because he had a good strike on him. 

We now have a different manager, so different player instructions.

Or he may well have done it, because he wanted to. That seems more plausible to me.

1 hour ago, booth said:

For all the people saying they wouldn't have him back, would you swap Armstrong for Vale right now?

He was a Championship goal machine in his last season and he's only 26. Infuriatingly greedy at times, but just imagine if we had a goalscorer of that calibre in the squad for the remainder of this season.

Being better than Vale isn’t an accomplishment. I’d take a traffic cone with an angry face drawn on it over Vale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

AA was never lazy, just selfish. 

In defensive terms and stuff off the ball he very much was but his selfish streak was probably his main strength, head down go for goal and shoot on sight.

2 hours ago, booth said:

Of course but that wouldn't be happening if they got him back he'd be a replacement for Breo and maybe a decent one although he'd have to up his off the ball work 50%.

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Of course but that wouldn't be happening if they got him back he'd be a replacement for Breo and maybe a decent one although he'd have to up his off the ball work 50%.

Next season Dolan will take BBD’s place. If he goes that is. If I was the Spanish scout that recommended him I’d be getting worried at the moment.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 15:07, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Next season Dolan will take BBD’s place. If he goes that is. If I was the Spanish scout that recommended him I’d be getting worried at the moment.

He's on a free so they aren't taking that much of a gamble really unless they've offered him silly money.

That might change before he gets the paper to sign.