BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is 2nd in League 1, then 15th, 11th, 15th and 8th, never ever anywhere near the bottom, just avoiding a complete disaster?

Yes. 

Take a look at what you've just written and have a wee think about it. 

We finished 15th with Adam Armstrong scoring for fun.

• Like 2

So it was simply a complete disaster then? Fair enough if you think that a club with an average budget does averagely is a complete disaster.

We didn’t just avoid anything under TM, that was kind of how his plodding tenure went.

Edited by Mattyblue

Me neither. But that is due to having owners letting the club stagnate for a decade. Appointing plodding managers and letting them carry on and on is a symptom of that.

*It’s called having a discussion, UD, I disagreed with you, if that’s ‘nitpicking’, fair enough  - you struggle to do it without flying off the handle and/or getting personal.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Me neither. But that is due to having owners letting the club stagnate for a decade. Appointing plodding managers and letting them carry on and on is a symptom of that.

*It’s called having a discussion, UD, I disagreed with you, if that’s ‘nitpicking’, fair enough  - you struggle to do it without flying off the handle and/or getting personal.

Nothing personal here.

Looks like a nerve was touched.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roverandout said:

Bowyer was nearly as bad. Gestede and Rhodes up front.  Carney In midfield.  His excuse was he was inexperienced.  Mowbray had been around for years. At least bowyer was doing his best to make us play off challengers.  Mowbray was filling his pension 

As much as he should get credit for some good things that he did for the club, Bowyer was far worse for me. It's not just the goals we got from the front two. We had two centre backs that have gone on to be prem players in Duffy and Hanley, King starred in the top flight. Cairney was Fulham's best player when they secured automatic promotion. You can even look to players like Alan Judge as an example of a player who was excellent but completely misused. Dunny too in that last season. Playing 442 was a great way to get bags of goals out of Rhodes and Gestede but completely the wrong way to get the most out of a squad that should've walked the top 6.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

As much as he should get credit for some good things that he did for the club, Bowyer was far worse for me. It's not just the goals we got from the front two. We had two centre backs that have gone on to be prem players in Duffy and Hanley, King starred in the top flight. Cairney was Fulham's best player when they secured automatic promotion. You can even look to players like Alan Judge as an example of a player who was excellent but completely misused. Dunny too in that last season. Playing 442 was a great way to get bags of goals out of Rhodes and Gestede but completely the wrong way to get the most out of a squad that should've walked the top 6.

Good bloke, totally wrong appointment. Still had parachutes, plenty of good players. Our last, best chance to get out the division, so they give the gig to a fella that had only coached in youth football.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mike E said:

He was a bang average manager. Not great, not bad. Bang average.

However, the moment he turned on fans, he should’ve been off. ‘They need to understand that Shearer and Sutton aren’t here anymore’.

Fuck off you twat, there are at least two generations of fans that don’t even remember them playing for us (starting with mine).

Agree with your first point. He wasn't the total disaster that some point out, but you only need to look at the the likes of JDT (who himself isn't perfect) to see that the game has passed him by in some respects. 

It might just be me, but I never was all that bothered about the odd thing that he said in the media. Football fans dish it out in spades, so we shouldn't be too thin skinned about the odd perceived slight that comes our way in the heat of the moment when someone shoves a microphone in front of a manager's face. Especially when it's pretty tame as Mowbray's comments were in my view, although I remember from the time that plenty disagreed!

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

He was a bang average manager. Not great, not bad. Bang average.

However, the moment he turned on fans, he should’ve been off. ‘They need to understand that Shearer and Sutton aren’t here anymore’.

Fuck off you twat, there are at least two generations of fans that don’t even remember them playing for us (starting with mine).

Isn’t that pretty much what JDT said in March? “They’ve never had it so good”?

Personally find (not you Mike) the conspiracy stuff still floating about with Mowbray on this thread incredibly strange.

The guys gone, just move on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Good bloke, totally wrong appointment. Still had parachutes, plenty of good players. Our last, best chance to get out the division, so they give the gig to a fella that had only coached in youth football.

I was disappointed when he was sacked because Kean and some of our more toxic signings were still a recent memory, and he was a good bloke as you say. 

Looking back in hindsight though, the underachievement seemed worse and worse as every season went by. 

Why wouldn’t he do his best? He was happy to lose? Didn’t look like it in interviews. His best just wasn’t good enough.

There’s enough to go at TM over without coming out with that kind of stuff, just daft.

He didn't look it in interviews? He did by my standards. Certainly didn't look like it hurt him very often. Nor did he display much passion on the touchline whether winning or losing. Hell he was practically asleep at times. He moaned about being away from his family, downplayed our ambitions and prestige constantly, was obviously homesick for the northwest and never even moved his family here to do the job properly.

There's enough evidence to suggest his heart wasn't really in it here without you needing to call that opinion daft. If you have a different opinion fine, but he gave plenty of us a different impression. For me, he 'did his best' in the same way I did my best at my last job. I hated it, gave what I could to satisfy my personal requirements of professionalism and to avoid being fired, but my heart wasn't in it and I never gave what I was truly capable of on a consistent basis as a result. I see it being said that he can't have been giving less than his best if he got us the same points as JDT, well as soon as he was back in his native northeast he got them into the playoffs, a team only just promoted from League One. He never did that here in 5 years.

• Like 3

We obviously aren’t going to agree. I think he was a professional doing his best. In the end his best didn’t get us anywhere, but because we have owners that were merely happy for him to see out his contract he went on too long and it got stale. 

He left, we’ve had an upgrade, we’ve moved on. I just don’t understand the vitriol such a plodder gets on here (only on here), it’s completely out of proportion for a steady eddie like TM.

• Like 1

Just like how they kept Kean on when he nearly relegated us and then still kept him on when he did. What other club behaves like that ?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He left, we’ve had an upgrade, we’ve moved on. I just don’t understand the vitriol such a plodder gets on here (only on here), it’s completely out of proportion for a steady eddie like TM.

He disrespected the club and the fans, that's why. He talked the club down and acted as though he was doing us a favour by being here. He gave it the "this is Blackburn Rovers, this club should be in the Premier League" line when we went down to L1 to play to the gallery. Mere lip service to keep the flak for relegation away from himself.

His true colours were revealed when the pressure was on and he was getting stick for our poor run of form. "I don't need this", is what he said in one interview, when he was being questioned. I've not heard that from any manager of ours during the last 30 years. Then add in the 1995 comment, the shoulder shrugging and the not arsed demeanor seen many times on the touchline and in various post match interviews. Spirals in form are one thing, adding insult to injury are another.

Why would you turn down a chance of instant promotion to the Prem, if, as he said, the owners were excited and wanted a double promotion? No serious manager in that situation would tell such an owner, to wait, calm down and that we need to build slowly instead.

He's second only to Kean, and not by much, in terms of the total knobs to have managed this football club, in my view.

JDT is much more respectful, has real pedigree in the game and comes across as a nice guy. Most importantly, he is serious about winning and sets high standards. A good fit for Rovers and hopefully he is backed with the players he wants to bring in, as I believe he could be the one to finally take us back up.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

He disrespected the club and the fans, that's why. He talked the club down and acted as though he was doing us a favour by being here. He gave it the "this is Blackburn Rovers, this club should be in the Premier League" line when we went down to L1 to play to the gallery. Mere lip service to keep the flak for relegation away from himself.

His true colours were revealed when the pressure was on and he was getting stick for our poor run of form. "I don't need this", is what he said in one interview, when he was being questioned. I've not heard that from any manager of ours during the last 30 years. Then add in the 1995 comment, the shoulder shrugging and the not arsed demeanor seen many times on the touchline and in various post match interviews. Spirals in form are one thing, adding insult to injury are another.

Why would you turn down a chance of instant promotion to the Prem, if, as he said, the owners were excited and wanted a double promotion? No serious manager in that situation would tell such an owner, to wait, calm down and that we need to build slowly instead.

He's second only to Kean, and not by much, in terms of the total knobs to have managed this football club, in my view.

JDT is much more respectful, has real pedigree in the game and comes across as a nice guy. Most importantly, he is serious about winning and sets high standards. A good fit for Rovers and hopefully he is backed with the players he wants to bring in, as I believe he could be the one to finally take us back up.

Agree entirely apart from the second to Kean line. We've had some serious shite including Owen fucking Coyle that are way higher than Mowbray on my disliked list. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Great post, sums up my feelings on Moany Towbray.

2 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Great post, sums up my feelings on Moany Towbray.

He was a gurning chump, who basically thieved a living here for far too long. 

But now, he dead.  

24 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

He also advised our head of recruitment to accept league one Sunderland's job offer

• Like 1