BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

Benched for todays game v Leeds. 

Came on as sub and did OK. 

A Southampton win without him in the starting line up could mean more time sat down. 

Not surprised he’s struggling in the prem. The year he was getting all out goals we were dominating games possession/chances wise. He was never a one chance grab a goal kind guy. Summed up in the game against United early in season where he was through on goal late on for the win and didn’t finish it.

• Like 1

Always thought he would struggle - got off to a flyer with that goal but he doesn't have enough about him for that level. Pace, sure, but no tricks of note, head down kind of player, and needs a quite few chances normally. 

As for Raya, one of best keepers in PL right now.

• Like 2

A few on here said before Armstrong left that he wasn’t PL standard. Their views have been totally vindicated. The start of the slippery slope into oblivion maybe. 
As for Raya, well that says much about Mogadon’s talent as a manager or a talent spotter. Good luck to the lad, how I would love for him to represent Spain. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

A few on here said before Armstrong left that he wasn’t PL standard. Their views have been totally vindicated. The start of the slippery slope into oblivion maybe. 
As for Raya, well that says much about Mogadon’s talent as a manager or a talent spotter. Good luck to the lad, how I would love for him to represent Spain. 

Another Jordan Rhodes.

I wouldn't write off Armstrong. He has pace and positional intelligence and a powerful strike, which are all important attributes. I seem to remember that he struggled at times with Rovers, especially, when starting out in a wide role in our team. Borja is an exceptional talent, so I suspect Armstrong might have to sit it out for a while, if they go with one forward but he'll be in the goals eventually, I guess. And, the homecoming to Newcastle might eventually happen, if he does start scoring.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I wouldn't write off Armstrong. He has pace and positional intelligence and a powerful strike, which are all important attributes. I seem to remember that he struggled at times with Rovers, especially, when starting out in a wide role in our team. Borja is an exceptional talent, so I suspect Armstrong might have to sit it out for a while, if they go with one forward but he'll be in the goals eventually, I guess. And, the homecoming to Newcastle might eventually happen, if he does start scoring.

I'd agree with most of that - but I reckon Newcastle will be looking at better players than Armstrong now they're loaded.

19 hours ago, riverholmes said:

He can't finish consistently enough though and his all round contribution is poor. He will end up back at a top Championship club, that's his level. 

• Like 1

Not enough about him to be a success.  He will flop and in Jordan Rhodes fashion disappear i to a life of being shipped club to club.  Adding his name to the long list of grass is greener ex-Rovers players, fortunately for him he will be rich enough to not have to worry much about it.

6 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Not enough about him to be a success.  He will flop and in Jordan Rhodes fashion disappear i to a life of being shipped club to club.  Adding his name to the long list of grass is greener ex-Rovers players, fortunately for him he will be rich enough to not have to worry much about it.

I am not sure that staying at a mid table (likely bottom half) Championship side would have been a wiser choice. The grass is greener at Southampton.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59979-adam-armstrong/

Really going for Armstrong after last night. 

from the article... " has no pace, no skill, no finishing ability"!  did they receive his evil twin by mistake or something haha I'd have him back in a heart beat!! he's just gone to a shit club and started earning a lot of money, confidence is zero.

IMO.... he was/is not physically and psychologically good enough to do well in the prem, but he does have bags of ability though and one of the best finishers around when his confidence is high

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

from the article... " has no pace, no skill, no finishing ability"!  did they receive his evil twin by mistake or something haha I'd have him back in a heart beat!! he's just gone to a shit club and started earning a lot of money, confidence is zero.

IMO.... he was/is not physically and psychologically good enough to do well in the prem, but he does have bags of ability though and one of the best finishers around when his confidence is high

I didn’t like his attitude here. You expect strikers to be single minded but he took it to extremes.

• Like 2

I remember friends with Newcastle United loyalties telling me at the time we signed Armstrong that Benitez had let him go for such a low fee because he didn't think he was capable of a career at the top level.

So it was no surprise to me when we did so comparatively well - if memory serves, Ashley had inserted a 40% payback clause in what we got for "Arma" - when Southampton bought him.

2 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

I’m struggling to think of any strikers that have moved on from Rovers recently and done well.

Gestede, Rhodes and Armstrong all failed to impress following their ‘big’ moves.

Because all stepped up to a level they were never good enough for and got quickly found out.

Previous era all 3 would likely stay at Championship level maybe at one club and bang goals in every season.

Then agents came along and the player cattle market took off.

• Like 3