BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

25 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

Lol, ball out in terms of a tryer lol. Is there room for him to improve, can he be coached ? Is he a good ings replacement? From the responses so far I don’t understand why we have gone in for him so hard. It appears he has been our number 1 target for a long time. From what I’ve seen he reminds me a lot of Brett Ormerod. Never prolific, for us, in the top flight but an animal in the lower divisions.

Ill be honest I think you have done better out of the deal. £15 million and a player I think has the potential to be much better in Obafemi. If you play him right you have a steal. I feel we have bought another Carillo ( yes you’re right, WHO? £20 million and our last great hope)

Brett Ormerod is a good comparison.

36 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

Lol, ball out in terms of a tryer lol. Is there room for him to improve, can he be coached ? Is he a good ings replacement? From the responses so far I don’t understand why we have gone in for him so hard. It appears he has been our number 1 target for a long time. From what I’ve seen he reminds me a lot of Brett Ormerod. Never prolific, for us, in the top flight but an animal in the lower divisions.

Ill be honest I think you have done better out of the deal. £15 million and a player I think has the potential to be much better in Obafemi. If you play him right you have a steal. I feel we have bought another Carillo ( yes you’re right, WHO? £20 million and our last great hope)

Arma's biggest asset is his pace. Probably Prem League level for this .

Use this well and he will do ok. 

I'd rather we kept him,  untested at the highest level, and is prob a downgrade on Danny Ings  

1 minute ago, Ozz said:

Arma's biggest asset is his pace. Probably Prem League level for this .

Use this well and he will do ok. 

I'd rather we kept him,  untested at the highest level, and is prob a downgrade on Danny Ings  

Probably a downgrade? Undoubtedly a downgrade. Will struggle against top quality defenders. You need more than just pace. Too much head down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarriorSaint said:

Hi folks, Irish Saints fan in peace. I’ll try a little olive branch in lieu of our Palace friend earlier. Saints/Rovers have had our dalliances withtransfers in the past and I think we’ve all come out of it pretty well. Shearer, Davies, Beatts spring to mind. 

If the rumours are true with Obafemi going the other way I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. He’s raw but fast and powerful. He thought he had made the breakthrough about 2 years/ 18 months ago in Saints first team and Ireland but got a bit up himself and thought he was billy big bollox. Got himself a reputation. He’s matured a bit now and had a word with himself and is going to be a good player. I’m gutted he’s possibly going to be fair as I reckon this was going to be his breakthrough year.

on the flip side we’ve just lost another Billy Big bollox to Aston Villa. At least your fella said goodbye to the cleaners. Not a peep from Ings.

Is it worth asking for a genuine unbiased opinion about Adam? I’m not convinced. Seems a balls out player to be sure but will it translate. Any hope would be appreciated as we are a cartoon club at the minute.

Cheers, Saint in peace.

If Armstrong didn't have pace, he would be very average. Whilst he keeps his pace he may make it at lower premiership level. So I think he will fit your team. A few Rovers fans seem to think that Saints have had us over on a few transfers. They remember Shearer, but forget we also got  Tim Flowers. I would say we are about even. I think Armstrong has now reached his peak ,signing for you. I don't know he has the right mentality to keep pushing himself.

Edited by rigger

It’ll be very interesting to see how he gets on in the PL. He is quick and can score goals. The trouble is he won’t get as many chances as he did for us in the Championship and won’t have Mowbray there to give him game after game even when out of form.

If he gets double figures he will have outdone my expectations.

We shall see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

If Armstrong didn't have pace, he would be very average. Whilst he keeps his pace he may make it at lower premiership level. So I think he will fit your team. A few Rovers fans seem to think that Saints have had us over on a few transfers. They remember Shearer, but forget we also got Le Saux and Tim Flowers. I would say we are about even. I think Armstrong has now reached his peak ,signing for you. I don't know he has the right mentality to keep pushing himself.

I think we got Le-Saux from Chelsea

• Backroom

If played regularly I think Arma could get 10-12 goals a season which wouldn't be a bad return. Needs to be coached on the clinical side of finishing and when not to shoot from outside the box. Won't be suitable for every game either, for some matches he'd be better as a super sub coming on against tired legs.

2 hours ago, WarriorSaint said:

Hi folks, Irish Saints fan in peace. I’ll try a little olive branch in lieu of our Palace friend earlier. Saints/Rovers have had our dalliances withtransfers in the past and I think we’ve all come out of it pretty well. Shearer, Davies, Beatts spring to mind. 

If the rumours are true with Obafemi going the other way I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. He’s raw but fast and powerful. He thought he had made the breakthrough about 2 years/ 18 months ago in Saints first team and Ireland but got a bit up himself and thought he was billy big bollox. Got himself a reputation. He’s matured a bit now and had a word with himself and is going to be a good player. I’m gutted he’s possibly going to be fair as I reckon this was going to be his breakthrough year.

on the flip side we’ve just lost another Billy Big bollox to Aston Villa. At least your fella said goodbye to the cleaners. Not a peep from Ings.

Is it worth asking for a genuine unbiased opinion about Adam? I’m not convinced. Seems a balls out player to be sure but will it translate. Any hope would be appreciated as we are a cartoon club at the minute.

Cheers, Saint in peace.

You should never hold opinions of others fans that greatly, we're a little gutted to lose 20+ goals a season. However, club needed the money, was in last year of contract, and with TM at the helm and with our chicken choker owners, the guy obviously wants a shot at top level, who would complain about him wanting to go. 

As for my opinion. I hope he goes on to become a good quality PL forward, is still young and so can still improve. However, on Ings level, he is not by quite some way. Bit of pace but not electric, head down kind of striker, more selfish than he should be, and is not as clinical as his goal tally might seem. Think he took 3 times more shots on goal than Toney did (stand to be corrected) and still finished second top scorer in the league. 

That said, wish the kid well, all footballers want to progress and now he has his chance. Hopefully this deal repayus you for Shearer, though that would take some monumental impact.

Shearer: Southampton - Blackburn - Newcastle

Armstrong: Newcastle - Blackburn - Southampton 

No bitterness towards Armstrong. Good business for the club and could keep us free from the jaws of FFP for the time being. Hope he goes on to do well. He has a chance and will need a bit of luck, but could do a job in the prem. 

• Like 1

good deal for rovers considering we certainly lose him for little or nothing next season,i doubt he`d score another 28 goals this season,was somewhat of a fluke imo,(clive allen once scored 49 goals in a season for spurs,once they sold him to man city he did the square root of nothing,he was never the same player for anyone after that one season)

2 hours ago, WarriorSaint said:

Cheers, Saint in peace.

Could go either way with Armstrong to be honest. Plus points, He's an honest lad, rarely injured, has a pretty decent touch, and will get in goalscoring positions.  Can also score a few worldies from outside the box as well. 

Negatives, poor one on one, can't hold the ball up, can be a bit greedy (most strikers are yo be fair). He's quick but not lightning fast.

My personal opinion is he may struggle as a central  striker in the Prem.  If he is coming off the wings though, he could be a handful and  easily get into double figures. 

Will be interesting to see how he does.

19 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

If Armstrong is among better players he may well exceed all expectations all he needs is a supply line and an inch of space but he is going to have to better his chance conversion rate into goals 

That's the crux of it. You could say that stat is bloated because he was a bit greedy and took shots when he shouldn't have - but who is to say that wasn't a TM thing? I think he is generally a decent finisher but when you're pot shotting at every opportunity its not good for the team. 

One on ones though, needs to work on that for sure. 

I'm sorry to see our leading scorer go and wish him well. Unfortunately he is a victim of the overspending that Waggott, Mowbray, Venus, Pasha and Cheston have allowed to move us onto the cusp of breaching P&S rules. At a normal club a new contract would have been sorted out long ago. We will probably be saying similar about several other players soon.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I'm sorry to see our leading scorer go and wish him well. Unfortunately he is a victim of the overspending that Waggott, Mowbray, Venus, Pasha and Cheston have allowed to move us onto the cusp of breaching P&S rules. At a normal club a new contract would have been sorted out long ago. We will probably be saying similar about several other players soon.

Rothwell and Nyambe next out the door - contracts on table but unsigned. Then next season - those with a squishy stomach shouldn't be looking at who we're probably gonna lose. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Rothwell and Nyambe next out the door - contracts on table but unsigned. Then next season - those with a squishy stomach shouldn't be looking at who we're probably gonna lose. 

If true that our owners vetoed a 2m deal with Sheff Utd for Rothwell then he'll be here until he leaves on a free next summer

2 hours ago, rigger said:

If Armstrong didn't have pace, he would be very average. Whilst he keeps his pace he may make it at lower premiership level. So I think he will fit your team. A few Rovers fans seem to think that Saints have had us over on a few transfers. They remember Shearer, but forget we also got  Tim Flowers. I would say we are about even. I think Armstrong has now reached his peak ,signing for you. I don't know he has the right mentality to keep pushing himself.

Didn’t Jeff Kenna come from Southampton ? He was a good signing.

• Like 7