BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

This is the football industry and managers and ceo's etc are playing with other peoples money.

Daft stuff happens all the time there's a truck load of stuff at this club over the last 10 years that doesn't appear to make sense.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know that, but saying we had the money spent doesn't make sense. It doesn't add up. 

I think people suspect that we bought Brereton on the strength of Dack being a done deal. 

6 minutes ago, lraC said:

I think people suspect that we bought Brereton on the strength of Dack being a done deal. 

Nah. The Brereton deal was done at the very last minute of the window. They knew they didn't have any money for Dack and they weren't going to buy off potentially having money. Wouldn't make sense 

Front loading, it happens.

Investing up top in the early stages of the next FFP cycle is what it was. They know the absolute only way to balance that out is either promotion or a big sale or two.

Maybe they bought into the fantasy Mowbray would deliver the prem but neither has happened. So now we are where we are and everyone knew it was coming.

Shambles.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Nah, they don't strike me as owners who give money up on the off chance they are getting it back, in this unpredictable business. We had a budget and it either materialised at the last minute, for some reason, or we dilly dallied, as per usual and missed out on our main targets. 

It was an odd signing in many ways though. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

They had a business plan after the audits remember. It delivered promotion, they wanted to invest big whilst they could but good old Tone advised slow build and investing in these types instead.

Iv'e always been convinced there was a good pot of money available to him for the team then. This is where they advised it to go though and i'm convinced those at the club if the not the owners thought they'd cover it from future sales.

Let's face it if Dack had stayed uninjured he would not be at Rovers anymore.

Relying on one player to save the day financially in football is a dangerous game.

Armstrong emerged as a goal scorer so he's become the new financial saviour - yet to happen though ......

But following last year's 'clock reset' our manager now tells us we need 100 million quid in player buys just to compete....

So basically we sell Armstrong, 20 million?? I doubt it, and nothing changes .. well it does as we lose 25+ goals a season and we do not have anyone on the books that can replace those goals. Please don't give me the line 'share around the team', I've played and it doesn't work like that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

They had a business plan after the audits remember. It delivered promotion, they wanted to invest big whilst they could but good old Tone advised slow build and investing in these types instead.

Iv'e always been convinced there was a good pot of money available to him for the team then. This is where they advised it to go though and i'm convinced those at the club if the not the owners thought they'd cover it from future sales.

Of course, future sales of Brereton. I don't see potentially selling Dack being factored in. It's not good business sense. So I can't see why the auditors would recommend it. No deal was done anyway, even prior to Dack getting injured

Not saying auditors recommended that in particular but more of a speculate to accumulate philosophy.

As in any business you have to invest to produce better future performance and sales. The cheaper is better approach adopted post Kean wasn't working. Although you'd expect the advice to say buy low sell high rather than splurge it all on Brereton.

However an asset or two already on the books showing a massive increase in value would cover it if need be. So, in theory, it becomes less of a risk and more of a structured gamble.

The owners though don't need the money, so once those running it have sold them this plan it can soon go to pot. When they don't want to sell because they feel they don't need to. I don't think they've ever quite grasped how all the FFP stuff works but Bradders got injured anyway.

Then again you're probably right i'm giving them too much credit. More likely everything is just done on a whim depending on which way the wind is blowing !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Not saying auditors recommended that in particular but more of a speculate to accumulate philosophy.

As in any business you have to invest to produce better future performance and sales. The cheaper is better approach adopted post Kean wasn't working. Although you'd expect the advice to say buy low sell high rather than splurge it all on Brereton.

However an asset or two already on the books showing a massive increase in value would cover it if need be. So, in theory, it becomes less of a risk and more of a structured gamble.

The owners though don't need the money, so once those running it have sold them this plan it can soon go to pot. When they don't want to sell because they feel they don't need to. I don't think they've ever quite grasped how all the FFP stuff works but Bradders got injured anyway.

Then again you're probably right i'm giving them too much credit. More likely everything is just done on a whim depending on which way the wind is blowing !

The money came from somewhere at the last minute alright though. It was strange. It seems something happended on the last day of the window, but it's difficult to know what. 

It could be as you alluded to that Mowbray didn't want to send the money and then just got the Brereton idea via an agent contacting him. 

It might just work out for him yet, lol 

Still didn't make sense though 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a club policy of investing with a view to accumulating down the line.

A few major flaws though.

Firstly - the structure at this club isn't there to effectively carry out this policy to great success. To do it you need an overarching plan and structure, overseen either by the owners or a competent board of directors. We have neither, the whole thing revolves around Mowbray and his mates. Couple of problems there - Mowbray and his mates aren't particularly good, and I don't know why anyone from the owners down thinks they are. Also removal of the manager brings the whole thing crashing down which naturally implants reluctance to get rid of him. That should never be the case as the manager should be judged purely on results and axed if they aren't good enough. Not here though St Tony is our great leader and the club cannot function without his oversight.

Secondly it should never be the central focus or core of business. The focus should be solely on promotion and assembling a squad - quickly or gradually - that is good enough to achieve that. The problem here is that much of our business is done with zero intention of promotion but with the focus being on individual development and profit

Thirdly - and this is the giveaway - even in cases where we have done well and massively increased values we aren't proactive or decisive enough in ensuring those players are secured and our investment protected - Armstrong is the current one but there have been others and will be others to follow. If you want to profit greatly from these players you have to be willing and able to get them on long term deals - 4 or 5 years - and then sell when the big bids come. We're going to lose Armstrong for a fraction of what we should get and then next summer we will be doing the same on Kaminski, Travis, Nyambe. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, dallydally said:

I see TM is trotting out the usual sh1t about Armstrong's head having been turned and he'll have a chat with him tomorrow to see if he's ok to play on Saturday! What clap trap. The guy has a contract. If he doesn't play don't pay him

He has been training daily and playing in the friendlies as normal to be fair, he hasnt refused to play. I suppose like anyone with such a huge question mark over their future, it is going to subconsciously play on your mind somewhat, if he refuses to play then that would be different.

16 minutes ago, dallydally said:

I see TM is trotting out the usual sh1t about Armstrong's head having been turned and he'll have a chat with him tomorrow to see if he's ok to play on Saturday! What clap trap. The guy has a contract. If he doesn't play don't pay him

That's Armstrong not playing on Saturday then. Imo, the 'his head's been turned' lark is just a convenient line that Mowbray is putting out there. With the talk of potential £15m-20m bids for him, I don't think they'll want to risk him picking up an injury.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's Armstrong not playing on Saturday then. Imo, the 'his head's been turned' lark is just a convenient line that Mowbray is putting out there. With the talk of potential £15m-20m bids for him, I don't think they'll want to risk him picking up an injury.

With bids of 15-20m, I don't want to risk him picking up an injury. Let's start with the team we are likely to keep, in a system to suit those players.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

At palace he won’t thrive nor will he score loads of goals, the same with Southampton. I believe he would fayre better at Norwich, better footballing philosophy and a better supply line

Norwich lost Buendia their most creative players to Villa.Media speculation that Cantwell will be following him who is another creative player of theirs.Max Aarrons tipped for a move also.

Palace and Southampton are established premier league clubs.Palace have Eze and Zaha two very creative players

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Both of whom are coveted by other clubs, Zaha wants to leave whilst Eze is injured.

Viera is in there now,Bought Olise a fine young player from Reading.Zaha has wanted out for two seasons but yet is still there and performing to a high level.

Norwich like I have cashed in on their best player,and are likely to lose both Cantwell and Aarrons before deadline.

Southampton and Palace are far more established in the premier league than Norwich currently