BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

On 07/08/2021 at 20:14, tomphil said:

The old heads not right line is one that gets trotted out all the time all over the place. Standard football stuff and they did the right thing leaving him out today. If he's not pleading to play and saying he wants to sign off in front of the fans and say goodbye then we don't need to see him.

There'd have been uproar if we'd lost of course but he wouldn't have made much difference if his head isn't in it.

Not sure i agree he'd have had a hatrick today but he might well have bagged. Dolans unselfish work though helped the likes of Brereton and Gally.  That's not something you associate with Armstrong so we looked like the shackles were off a bit today.

Best of luck to him whatever happens now.

Don’t think it’s got anything to do with his head not being in it, it is so he doesn’t get injured which would scupper any lucrative deal 

i hear Southampton have improved their vid. I’d be concerned about Obafemi coming the other way. A player with huge potential but apparently quite disruptive and, some even say, full of himself 

40 minutes ago, IrelandsRover said:

Don’t think it’s got anything to do with his head not being in it, it is so he doesn’t get injured which would scupper any lucrative deal 

i hear Southampton have improved their vid. I’d be concerned about Obafemi coming the other way. A player with huge potential but apparently quite disruptive and, some even say, full of himself 

That’s the deal falling through at the last minute when he comes into the managers room wearing yellow trainers. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IrelandsRover said:

I think a straight cash deal would suit everybody better i think the manager hinted at that a little bit. No point arguing over a few quid and this and that just pay the price and get it done.

It's rare these part exchange deals work out well unless the player himself is dead keen on coming.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J*B said:

That’s the deal falling through at the last minute when he comes into the managers room wearing yellow trainers. 

To be honest though - How many bad eggs has Tony signed?

Between 2010-2016, The list of “players” who should’ve never worn our shirt is an exhausting read.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyM said:

Hampshire press reporting a bid from Southampton has been accepted  ...

"The total package Saints will pay for the player will not rise beyond £15million"

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/breaking-southampton-blackburn-adam-armstrong-5759743

Some of them are saying just 9m up front...

Sorry but it is disgraceful and criminal to be selling the Championship top scorer for 15 million. Venkys and Mowbray don't give the slightest, the absolute slightest damn about the club - water is also wet, I know.

I just hope as hell it doesn't get invested into more useless loan deals. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

Sorry but it is disgraceful and criminal to be selling the Championship top scorer for 15 million. Venkys and Mowbray don't give the slightest, the absolute slightest damn about the club - water is also wet, I know.

the problem is outside the top 6 clubs in the premier league, all others (if not more) are not in cash rich positions

I think Southampton and their manager game plan and style will suit Armstrong. Good luck to him there and he deserved a PL move after his last 18 months of performing and scoring goals for us. He played very well and its a shame we missed his goalscoring performances last season cos of Covid-19 live inside Ewood Park. 

Good Luck Adam

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mr. E said:

He’s in the last year of his deal (granted, this is another example of contract negotiation negligence) but given we are where we are, the need to bring cash in is glaringly obvious - especially to potential buyers.

Factor in Covid depressing the whole market & the impacts are now being felt. 

We can’t afford to buy anyone due to FFP so I suspect loans are coming…like it or not 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

We can only hope that letting a players contract run down to the last year, is a thing of the past. Brereton is the next one that could go the same way and we need to tie him up now too. I have high hopes for him this year and given my 500/1 for him to score 20 goals, have more than just the love of my club to enjoy, if he does.

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58143075

BBC reporting  the deal could be worth more than £20m with add-ons

Probably if Southampton win the champions league after Armstrong scores a hattrick in his 100th game for England...

Think 9m up front and 6m in add-ons is likely to be closer to the mark 😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. E said:

You can bet that if we had given him a long contract before last season started this place would have been in an uproar,I dont blame the lad for cashing on on the best season he has ever had.

4 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

You can bet that if we had given him a long contract before last season started this place would have been in an uproar,I dont blame the lad for cashing on on the best season he has ever had.

Nah, he had a decent enough season one before last. Always shown potential and we already knew he was far too good for L1. 

• Like 1

Hi folks, Irish Saints fan in peace. I’ll try a little olive branch in lieu of our Palace friend earlier. Saints/Rovers have had our dalliances withtransfers in the past and I think we’ve all come out of it pretty well. Shearer, Davies, Beatts spring to mind. 

If the rumours are true with Obafemi going the other way I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. He’s raw but fast and powerful. He thought he had made the breakthrough about 2 years/ 18 months ago in Saints first team and Ireland but got a bit up himself and thought he was billy big bollox. Got himself a reputation. He’s matured a bit now and had a word with himself and is going to be a good player. I’m gutted he’s possibly going to be fair as I reckon this was going to be his breakthrough year.

on the flip side we’ve just lost another Billy Big bollox to Aston Villa. At least your fella said goodbye to the cleaners. Not a peep from Ings.

Is it worth asking for a genuine unbiased opinion about Adam? I’m not convinced. Seems a balls out player to be sure but will it translate. Any hope would be appreciated as we are a cartoon club at the minute.

Cheers, Saint in peace.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

Hi folks, Irish Saints fan in peace. I’ll try a little olive branch in lieu of our Palace friend earlier. Saints/Rovers have had our dalliances withtransfers in the past and I think we’ve all come out of it pretty well. Shearer, Davies, Beatts spring to mind. 

If the rumours are true with Obafemi going the other way I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. He’s raw but fast and powerful. He thought he had made the breakthrough about 2 years/ 18 months ago in Saints first team and Ireland but got a bit up himself and thought he was billy big bollox. Got himself a reputation. He’s matured a bit now and had a word with himself and is going to be a good player. I’m gutted he’s possibly going to be fair as I reckon this was going to be his breakthrough year.

on the flip side we’ve just lost another Billy Big bollox to Aston Villa. At least your fella said goodbye to the cleaners. Not a peep from Ings.

Is it worth asking for a genuine unbiased opinion about Adam? I’m not convinced. Seems a balls out player to be sure but will it translate. Any hope would be appreciated as we are a cartoon club at the minute.

Cheers, Saint in peace.

will be good for Ireland if Obafemi can get some games with us

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

Seems a balls out player to be sure but will it translate.

??? 🤔🤔

What, like Paul Scholes?

When you are the underdog playing the big boys (City, Liverpool, Man U etc) with their high backlines, I think he will be a great outlet for you.

Ball over the top on the break, his pace will get him in, and he is clinical in those situations. 

However, when you are up against the Crystal Palace/West Ham types, and you do your possession based tactics,  not sure how well he will perform there. Link up play isn't brilliant, and he often gets frustrated and tries potshots from 30 yards, when laying it off to the winger is by far the better option. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr. E said:

That's the position they've lead us to though and it's a collective thing. I'm sure he'd have jumped at a payrise 12 months ago but they didn't have the brains to try and tie him down.

25 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

Cheers, Saint in peace.

I think you’re right to be unconvinced about Armstrong at the top level. At our level he needs about 4 good chances per goal scored and I don’t think he’ll get that many chances at top level. He’s not shot shy in any way, in fact he pulls the trigger from distance too often.  Heading ability is ordinary. Pretty quick pace wise but not lightening fast. One on one with the keeper, I could be wrong ,but I can’t remember him ever scoring. If I had to put my house on him being a success in the prem I’d say no but I hope he proves me wrong as he always did his best for Rovers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Mr. E said:

Sorry but it is disgraceful and criminal to be selling the Championship top scorer for 15 million.

Feels like a fair price to me. At the moment it will be the largest fee for any player in the Championship this window, albeit with a few weeks to go.

Championship Transfers 21/22

And a similar comparison the season before was Callum Wilson to Newcastle for 20 million. But he was tried and tested in the Prem already, and I assume had a few years left on contact. 

I think 15 million was about par for me. Any lower very disappointing, any higher would have been a great result.

39 minutes ago, Silas said:

??? 🤔🤔

What, like Paul Scholes?

When you are the underdog playing the big boys (City, Liverpool, Man U etc) with their high backlines, I think he will be a great outlet for you.

Ball over the top on the break, his pace will get him in, and he is clinical in those situations. 

However, when you are up against the Crystal Palace/West Ham types, and you do your possession based tactics,  not sure how well he will perform there. Link up play isn't brilliant, and he often gets frustrated and tries potshots from 30 yards, when laying it off to the winger is by far the better option. 

Lol, ball out in terms of a tryer lol. Is there room for him to improve, can he be coached ? Is he a good ings replacement? From the responses so far I don’t understand why we have gone in for him so hard. It appears he has been our number 1 target for a long time. From what I’ve seen he reminds me a lot of Brett Ormerod. Never prolific, for us, in the top flight but an animal in the lower divisions.

Ill be honest I think you have done better out of the deal. £15 million and a player I think has the potential to be much better in Obafemi. If you play him right you have a steal. I feel we have bought another Carillo ( yes you’re right, WHO? £20 million and our last great hope)

Edited by WarriorSaint

1 hour ago, WarriorSaint said:

Cheers, Saint in peace.

You've come in peace so I'll be polite and just say that you did well out of Davies and Beattie - we absolutely got our pants pulled down on both. And then again on Ostenstad. And more recently arguably again with Gallagher, although I think he may end up being worth about what we paid if used right.

However Shearer does balance all that out considerably - though it was still a British record fee at the time so you didn't have your pants pulled down. Again here with Armstrong we are probably getting less than he is worth due to his contract, so you're being opportunist with it but fair play, we would do the same. Hopefully this Obafemi works out well for us if we get him.

• Like 1