BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - Success or Failure

2 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Thank you Chaddy.

If you go onto the lancs telegraph website Mowbray's comments suggest Nixon was talking shite about there being a late influx of extra cash. 

Mowbray said the budget has always been the same since his visit to India and confirmed the bids for Freeman and Brereton. Also says we agreed a 4 million fee for a player earlier in the window but lost out to another club as we couldn't match the wages offered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

If you go onto the lancs telegraph website Mowbray's comments suggest Nixon was talking shite about there being a late influx of extra cash. 

Mowbray said the budget has always been the same since his visit to India and confirmed the bids for Freeman and Brereton. Also says we agreed a 4 million fee for a player earlier in the window but lost out to another club as we couldn't match the wages offered 

Thank you Islander.

At least there is some money there, but Venkys???

• 3 weeks later...

Think its fair to reignite this thread now that our business is officially done, and we have added Brereton, Reed and Rodwell to the deals done of Davenport, Rothwell, Palmer and Armstrong.

Are we better than last season? I would say overall, yes, in terms of replacements, directly or indirectly. Palmer has replaced Payne, Rothwell has replaced Antonsson, Armstrong has replaced, well, Armstrong, and Brereton replaces the long term injured Samuel, just leaving Chapman not replaced.

Happy with the amount spent, a nice surprise and somewhat of a statement of intent, and also happy with the retaining of and in some cases, new contracts given to of our main players. Hope Mulgrew gets a new deal shortly.

Defensively, we have not signed anyone which leaves us incredibly short at centre back, with our only natural cover in Downing carrying big doubts about his ability at this level, and the injury proneness of our first choice duo. If Bauer was our first choice, I appreciate that he was not available at a price we considered to be value for money, but even if as assumed, we will revisit that deal, we should have signed temporary cover in the mean time. 

In central midfield, we look a lot better stocked than last year in terms of depth than last year, only losing Whittingham who missed large periods through injury. Harrison Reed is someone I think should boost us tremendously in there., from both when I saw him for Norwich last season, and based on what their fans have said. Shame it wasnt a permanent deal. Davenport again comes as a more long term option but hopefully he recovers from injury ASAP as he could boost us short term as well as long term. Rodwell is certainly not someone I would have signed, I hope he is not signed as a defender as basically, he hasnt been one as a professional footballer so it would make no sense. If hes signed from a midfielder, I've still got major doubts as to whether he will be a success, but presumably hes on much lower wages than hes been used to, and weve got more than enough in there to compensate even if he isnt a success, which of course I hope he is.

In attacking areas, we were heavily reliant on loanees last season which left us with a skeletal remain of an attack; practically just Dack and Graham. Palmer is definitely for me an upgrade on Payne, both 10s who can do a job wide, Rothwell looks a bright spark to have as an option, Armstrong is a steal as we know what he can do and Brereton is one to definitely be excited about, but there are questions based on his goal record, with his price tag at our level, he will need to have an impact now even if that isnt with the consistency or at the levels that we suspect to be able to see in the future when he has developed further. He definitely boosts us in attacking areas and I look forward to seeing him, theres enough to suggest that he will add to our attack. I am content with our attacking business but the lack of a winger really is an issue and an obvious and quite major flaw in our business, as we dont have anyone who can run on the outside of full backs. Again, like with Bauer, I appreciate that we had a number 1 target in Chapman, but considering we tried to conclude it at such a late stage, surely we could have looked at alternatives?

Not keen on Nuttall and Travis stagnating because they will get very limited game time here, wish they had been loaned out.

Overall, would say the window has been 7 out of 10.

Theres been enough done to be optimistic about, and not to expect a toil in the League, desperately trying to keep our heads above water, and theres an exciting core of players to watch and develop. But we could be affected hugely by injury to Mulgrew or Lenihan, and we are a winger short of having a good, balanced attacking set of players.

Very much glad that the window is closed now and we can concentrate solely on the pitch.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2018 at 14:40, OnePhilT said:

I think it's been a failure.

On the plus side, the squad has been kept together with no sales - that has to be a good thing, and I was worried about Dack setting his sights higher. We did also get a few permanents in, so at least some activity happened.

On the minus side, Mowbray only got 60% of his original target in (3 out of 5 players, excluding loans), so the target was missed in that regard. I think we were all hoping for more, too, but I reckon you have to sometimes pay over the odds to get who you want. There are so many other teams that will pip us to signings in that regard, and we can't continue being tight-arses. I'm sure at some point we'll get more than repaid with a Dack fee (oh, and I think the lack of signings may turn Dack's head in January rather than next summer).

Wow 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Great window overall, Chapman would have elevated it further.

Agree that Travis and the Nutt would have been better moving on till January at least

Surprised that Travis didn't go surely he would have benefited more playing regular 1st team football than being 6-7th choice central midfielder and in out of the squad. It would have been good for Nuttall to go out on loan and lead the line regularly at a club but with Samuel's injury we probably need him around in case were to have a couple injuries up top between now and January.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Ah right, now you explain! I think most are pleasantly surprised about the turn of events in the last few windows. Venkys have stumped up the money. It's a great feeling in comparison to times gone by. Not getting Chapman is a blemish, but nothing more.

Sorry ya, I didn't mean anything bad. I was very frustrated on deadline day too. 

Chapman would have been the icing on the cake alright. Ah well. Not to be 

It's got to be a success because we still have Bradley Dack. Everything else in this window pales into insignificance. Keep telling him he is loved here and give him another pay rise in January if he wants one. If he isn't our highest paid player he should be. Please keep him sweet Tony and let him know he is important to us and to the rest of the players too.

• Like 4

Probably need a new thread. We’ve had two windows recently.

Add then together and you have to view it as a success.

The only disappointment really is that we [Mowbray] talked things up more than we needed to and that raised expectations.

We have had a very good 12 months it’s fair to say. But it’s only because we bounced when we hit rock bottom.

It does feel as though there is a plan for the future. If we continue to be successful then our better players will keep being linked with moves. That’s a good thing not a bad thing. I just hope that Mowbray isn’t head-hunted because he is clearly building something here and I wouldn’t trust us to replace him wisely.

On 12/08/2018 at 14:40, OnePhilT said:

I think it's been a failure.

On the plus side, the squad has been kept together with no sales - that has to be a good thing, and I was worried about Dack setting his sights higher. We did also get a few permanents in, so at least some activity happened.

On the minus side, Mowbray only got 60% of his original target in (3 out of 5 players, excluding loans), so the target was missed in that regard. I think we were all hoping for more, too, but I reckon you have to sometimes pay over the odds to get who you want. There are so many other teams that will pip us to signings in that regard, and we can't continue being tight-arses. I'm sure at some point we'll get more than repaid with a Dack fee (oh, and I think the lack of signings may turn Dack's head in January rather than next summer).

Do you really believe this window has been a failure? Madness if so, I think the majority of people on this forum would disagree with you.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Wind back a couple of seasons Stuart, and absolutely no way was League One rock bottom to many. The club has picked itself up when it could have easily spiralled further under the wrong management, and Mowbray deserves all the credit.

Out of a balanced and largely positive post, you only carve out a bit to have a pop at.

However, to come back on your point. League One was absolutely rock bottom for Rovers. Never in our history have we been lower. League Two would have been unthinkable.

6 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I'm not sure where I had "a pop". Your suggestion the we only bounced back because we hit rock bottom seems to be dismissing the hard work that Mowbray seems to have put in to single-handedly turn this club around. I'm not convinced that happens just by default.

Perhaps read the rest of my post that you edited out again then.

A good window, to me. The loan and transfer windows are just one big transfer window in truth, just gets a bit more convoluted after the first deadline.

I'd just about score it at a 7.5.

Upsides - almost everyone we have signed. Good mix of youth, energy and experience, expensive quality and cheap gambits. Most of the squad now looks strong in depth and our bench looks good. Look like we can certainly challenge top end if Dack stays fit and in form. It also seems like we may have funds still in the kitty for Jan to plug the gaps.

Downsides - pity we didn't snag Chapman. Brereton is an exciting signing but risky financially. Still look vulnerable at CB if we hit any injury problems. Rodwell to be backup there may be a roaring success or a disaster. An injury to Raya could be a big problem too potentially, though goalies rarely injure for long. Think we could have done better for loaning out our youth - Matty Platt and Wharton seem like they should have gone to the opposite clubs. Worried Travis could stagnate or want out this season if he doesn't get enough game time (and if he does, we may question other signings). Could have done with getting a cheap loan backup striker, an improvement on Nuttall so we could send him out for games and be stronger too. Also wonder how we don't loan far more out in general. Our academy play in the top 12 in the country, but academies like Forest's, two levels below ours I believe, churn out a conveyor belt of expensive talent and I imagine securing decent loans is part of that.

I know the downsides part looks bigger, but mostly minor gripes. Good window.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

A good window, to me. The loan and transfer windows are just one big transfer window in truth, just gets a bit more convoluted after the first deadline.

I'd just about score it at a 7.5.

Upsides - almost everyone we have signed. Good mix of youth, energy and experience, expensive quality and cheap gambits. Most of the squad now looks strong in depth and our bench looks good. Look like we can certainly challenge top end if Dack stays fit and in form. It also seems like we may have funds still in the kitty for Jan to plug the gaps.

Downsides - pity we didn't snag Chapman. Brereton is an exciting signing but risky financially. Still look vulnerable at CB if we hit any injury problems. Rodwell to be backup there may be a roaring success or a disaster. An injury to Raya could be a big problem too potentially, though goalies rarely injure for long. Think we could have done better for loaning out our youth - Matty Platt and Wharton seem like they should have gone to the opposite clubs. Worried Travis could stagnate or want out this season if he doesn't get enough game time (and if he does, we may question other signings). Could have done with getting a cheap loan backup striker, an improvement on Nuttall so we could send him out for games and be stronger too. Also wonder how we don't loan far more out in general. Our academy play in the top 12 in the country, but academies like Forest's, two levels below ours I believe, churn out a conveyor belt of expensive talent and I imagine securing decent loans is part of that.

I know the downsides part looks bigger, but mostly minor gripes. Good window.

Almost identical views to mine, albeit more clearly put!

Success for me. Considering we kept our best players, added more quality and still have Rodwell and Davenport to potentially strengthen us further. Disappointed not to get Chapman, I think he could have been the difference for us in a few games that may have pushed us further up the table but realistically he will probably be a Rovers player in 4 months time, same for Bauer also. There is a lot of pace, flair, talent and hard work in this side now for the first time in almost a decade. It's sort of like watching so many other side's in the past and wishing our side had the same qualities, only this time we do. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

Success for me. Considering we kept our best players, added more quality and still have Rodwell and Davenport to potentially strengthen us further. Disappointed not to get Chapman, I think he could have been the difference for us in a few games that may have pushed us further up the table but realistically he will probably be a Rovers player in 4 months time, same for Bauer also. There is a lot of pace, flair, talent and hard work in this side now for this time in almost a decade. It's almost like watching so many other side's in the past and wishing our side had the same qualities, only this time we do. 

Pretty much agree with all of this. I hadn’t seen much of Rothwell either before this season and the way he looks and the quality he possesses makes me feel even better than when the permanent window shut.

We’re young and hungry with quality throughout and we’re just a couple of players away from being even stronger. Chapman and Bauer to hopefully come in, in January and a RB to push Nyambe and we’re looking spot on! 

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Wind back a couple of seasons Stuart, and absolutely no way was League One rock bottom to many. The club has picked itself up when it could have easily spiralled further under the wrong management, and Mowbray deserves all the credit. I think what you've just said trivialises that. I can't think of ANY other manager under Venky's reign that could have got us back up.

I'm not in the " Mowbray walks on water team " because everybody is fallible. Having said that he deserves 99% of whatever credit is going for dragging our club out of the gutter. I don't know how many other managers could have done what he's done.

If he walked out tomorrow he'd still be on my list of genuine Rovers heroes.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Almost identical views to mine, albeit more clearly put!

The funny thing about this window is that, as we signed so much talented young potential, we might come back to look on this window one day as more of a 9 or 10 out of 10.

Conversely, if we suffer injuries at CB or in goal, and some of the players (in particular Brereton) don't shine as much as we expect, it could be looked back on as more of a 5 or 6 in years to come.