BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

34 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

People keep saying the Brereton deal is a loan with a view to buy, but it seems like this is complete guesswork.....

(Unless this has been widely reported, if it is I apologise, of course!)

It's not being reported as a loan with a view.Its being reported as a loan to buy, we will be obligated to complete the deal once the window opens

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Given Mowbray's post-match interview with the BBC on Saturday, I don't think it can be called complete guesswork now. Mowbray was clearly frustrated at deal information being leaked, and that gives us an indication that is most likely true.

He also said we might have to move on to other targets.

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Given Mowbray's post-match interview with the BBC on Saturday, I don't think it can be called complete guesswork now. Mowbray was clearly frustrated at deal information being leaked, and that gives us an indication that is most likely true.

Tbh, it was a 5 minute audio clip that was linked so I couldn't be bothered listening to it all, so fair enough if that's what he's said!

I'm surprised that Mowbray is so frustrated about deals being 'leaked'.

All summer long I can think of perhaps 4 names that have obviously been strong targets of ours - Brereton, Freeman, Bauer and Armstrong. Bauer has effectively been confirmed by Charlton and Armstrong was an obvious target that nobody was surprised by and yet wasn't public knowledge until the deal was done. Palmer, Davenport and Rothwell were kept well under wraps.

The rest is complete guesswork. No evidence we've been interested in others like Maddison or Chapman.

In this day and age that's pretty good going in terms of keeping targets quiet.

Mowbray also referred to a small group of people who know our transfer targets so if the leaks are coming from our end then it should be quick to work out who it is doing the leaking.

To be honest I'm bored now by all the talk. This summer has been a bizarre transfer window and as it stands we've had plenty of positives - like not losing anyone important and bringing Armstrong back - yet also I remain concerned about our failure after all this time to properly address obvious lack of numbers in key positions and the manager keeps on referring to wanting as many as 4 more additions yet we never seem to be close to doing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

I think it makes doing the deal a lot harder, particularly if it alerts rival clubs into action, and if you don't end up getting the player, then it looks like a failure to the supporters. While we all want to know what is going on (particularly in our club's situation), it does no practical good for the buying club.

Not sure. I would think that interest and bids in for players would be known on the football grapevine regardless of whether it is leaked on twitter or messageboards.

E.g. if Forest are prepared to sell Brereton and Rovers are bidding I would expect Brereton or Forest to leak it in football circles to see if other clubs would be interested and increase the money on offer. Essentially that's what agents are paid for. Can understand why Rovers would want it keeping quiet but it would be naïve to expect the selling club to not try and find out if they could start a bidding war to drive the price up, or indeed an agent to find out if he could get his client more money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think it makes doing the deal a lot harder, particularly if it alerts rival clubs into action, and if you don't end up getting the player, then it looks like a failure to the supporters. While we all want to know what is going on (particularly in our club's situation), it does no practical good for the buying club.

The football world is a small world and if club x are in for a player than it won't take long for club y to find out, particularly if they have an interest in said player.

I'm with JHRover on this. I'd be happy with this transfer window if we didn't keep getting told a figure of players we want in and when by and constantly let down. Bored of hearing we are "in for 4", "have talks with 3", "want so and so over the line by..", "looking for a centre back, forward, winger", "wants a striker, centre mid, goalkeeper" etc etc etc. 

3 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

That's what I was trying to get across as to why Mowbray is frustrated; we're getting told about players that we're in talks with, and when it doesn't happen (and invariably it doesn't!), we feel let down. I don't think any manager would really want that situation, would they?

I see what you are getting at. I thought you meant it may hinder our chances of signing a player as it attracts rivals.

You'd have to imagine a football club talks to 30-40 players (or at least their agents/clubs) a window to determine availability before making their move. We'd be bitterly disappointed if we heard about every enquiry we'd have made this summer.

My gripe is probably more due to the fact that the media has to have something to write up. We are served up a fresh number wanted or fresh set of positions we are looking to fill on a weekly basis and it almost always has turned out to be a load of shite. 

The same thing happens at most clubs re transfers i'd imagine although it has been more so here over the last 8 years, not difficult to guess why when there's been so many different fingers in the pie and nobody in charge to try and keep a lid on it all.

Think we are being primed now for the inevitable let down although personally I won't feel let down if they don't splash 8 million on this kid. I will feel let down if there isn't one or two good loans sourced out though.......

I can't imagine that any other clubs are interested in Brereton.  Prem teams are out the equation. There is probably only Villa, Boro and the 3 relegated clubs with the money to buy him at prices mentioned.

*Derby have about 9 strikers so not including them.

All of those have the wage structure for more proven options.  

We are bidding against ourselves. Should now be at the 'final offer, 24 houes take or leave it stage'.  

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
39 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray on transfer leaks at Rovers...

“Apparently it’s happened at this club a lot over the years.

“I would have to say that it’s very frustrating for me, it shouldn’t be happening.

“There are quite a close number of people at the football club who know our targets but it seems to be public news.

“It doesn’t help the cause is what I would say.

“It might be coming from the other side of course, and they are trying to create interest in a player that’s available and seeing if there’s any other clubs out there that might up the ante.

“I can’t stop that, it’s what happens, but for me it has been a frustrating couple of weeks.”

And Mowbray on moving onto other targets...

“Some people who you think might sell keep asking for a bit more and a bit more and at some point it has to stop. So we are looking at other targets now and have potentially changed our sights a little bit.

Not all heroes wear capes....

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray did say that in his interview, and given that he's dealt with far more transfers than we have, I can only conclude that it's true. I think the bit he might not say is that a known transfer attempt that doesn't materialise looks bad on him and the club.

I suppose so. I never thought it would make much of a difference really as I'd always assumed these lot drank from the same watering hole. You'd have to imagine that if we were in for a player today, and no media outlet knew about it, that a large circle of the football bods would. Agent talks to club - knows another club is interested so alerts them - they alert another agent of another player they are after that someone else is available and so goes the merry go round.

The reality is that we are not used to the leaks in recent seasons because we haven’t made any big money signings! Rovers buying Rothwell for 200k isn’t exactly going to command the same attention as £8m for Brereton and hence people in football circles just don’t bother reporting it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I seem to remember reading a few pages back that the lad himself wasn't over keen on the move. I wonder if that was conjecture or if there's something in it?

It was said that when the bid was first put in that Brereton was shocked about it.

In fairness if we are doing things correctly then I presume the club would know by now if the player is open to the move or not.I presume he is otherwise a complete waste of time negotiating with Forest over him since at least deadline day 

If I were him I'd be desperate to get out of forest. A club prepared to sell you without informing you first isn't somewhere you'd want to be. 

And it can work out well for you. Look at the way we sold Cairney and where he is now 

Edited by gumboots

• Moderation Lead
Just now, islander200 said:

Nixon tweeting that the Freeman deal isn't looking likely, QPR wanting to keep him 

Having watched the highlights of them on Saturday, I'm not surprised.

They'll be needing all the help they can get....

If he doesn't want to leave Forest and they aren't in a desperate hurry to sell then the only thing that might swing it is money. He's obviously not that bothered about having more chance to play at this moment if he'd rather stay there, huge wages might tempt him though.

These types of deals rarely end well we should know that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Nixon tweeting that the Freeman deal isn't looking likely, QPR wanting to keep him 

Shades of his infamous 50 million warchest and signing of Riquelme back in the dark days. Expect a few retractions, twitter blockings and blaming in the next week or so when sod all happens.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If he doesn't want to leave Forest and they aren't in a desperate hurry to sell then the only thing that might swing it is money. He's obviously not that bothered about having more chance to play at this moment if he'd rather stay there, huge wages might tempt him though.

These types of deals rarely end well we should know that.

There has been absolutely nothing to suggest he doesn't want to leave now.

I'm sure any 19 year old would be shocked to find out on deadline day that his club were looking to sell him.

Media reporting it's down to the two clubs not being able to agree terms.

By now Mowbray and the club should know wether the player would be open to joining or not.I doubt very much Mowbray would have spent the last week In negotiations if the player wasn't keen.

Just now, Neal said:

Billy bullshit at it again. 

It probably looks like I'm defending him,but isn't it common knowledge that Mowbray is interested in Freeman?

At no point has Nixon said we will sign Freeman,Brererton or Bauer.He tweeted yesterday bids in for all 3 which is plausible we have been linked with all 3 by various media outlets, and Mowbray confirmed at the weekend target names had got out.

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think everyone is getting way too hung up about the potential fee for Brereton. Firstly a headline fee of £8m would have a very strong element of performance related add ons incorporated in I think you have to trust the manager's judgement on the player and if he turns out to be a success it wouldn't really matter whether the fee was 6m, 8m, 10m or 12m, we'd still be able to sell him  at a profit. 

It's a bit optimistic to hope that Brereton will be the next Shearer and we would be able to sell him for 5x the purchase price if required. However if he were to sign does as well as Jordan Rhodes for us and scores a goal every other game for 3 seasons and we can also sell him at a mark up it'd still be fairly happy days.

I don't think anyone is saying he will be the next Shearer. The argument was whether the Shearer deal was anything like the Brereton deal. In my opinion Shearer had already proved himself top class in the Premier league.

If the lad does well then £8million will be fair enough. However it's such a big amount in recent times that if he fails then it really could be the last time we see the V's chequebook seriously opened.  It's a big call by TM if it goes through.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

It probably looks like I'm defending him,but isn't it common knowledge that Mowbray is interested in Freeman?

At no point has Nixon said we will sign Freeman,Brererton or Bauer.He tweeted yesterday bids in for all 3 which is plausible we have been linked with all 3 by various media outlets, and Mowbray confirmed at the weekend target names had got out.

But he did say we had no money, and then we suddenly had money once we got linked (via other sources) to Freeman and Brereton.

Now he's hedging his bets again.

The wobbling wordsmith hasn't broke a Rovers transfer since Coyle was shipped out.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1