BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Loan Window

8 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Can’t understand how we are not looking at Scott Hogan. If Sheff Utd can loan him and Villa want rid, surely he’d be an option?

35k a week, 5 goals in 34 at Villa, and the club gain nothing out of it.

So Bereton isn't even getting in the Forest squad, even in the Cup, yet we are upping our bids at a seemingly excessive rate.

If he doesn't play a minute of football for the next 4 months, his value will surely decrease and his appetite to move will be stronger. 

I for one would rather this deal fall apart this month instead of breaking our club record transfer fee, and take the gamble of revisiting it in January.

Dack, Armstong, Graham and Palmer have shown enough and heck even Samuel looks like he can play a bit part. Unless this guy is the second coming of Shearer then it all seems strange. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

So Bereton isn't even getting in the Forest squad, even in the Cup, yet we are upping our bids at a seemingly excessive rate.

If he doesn't play a minute of football for the next 4 months, his value will surely decrease and his appetite to move will be stronger. 

I for one would rather this deal fall apart this month instead of breaking our club record transfer fee, and take the gamble of revisiting it in January.

Dack, Armstong, Graham and Palmer have shown enough and heck even Samuel looks like he can play a bit part. Unless this guy is the second coming of Shearer then it all seems strange. 

Maybe he's not in the squad for a reason...?

11 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Gets injured the deal falls through altogether. They are obviously happy to sell him so I would not read too much into not being in the cup squad.

18 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Maybe he's not in the squad for a reason...?

Yeah, that reason will be the same reason most players that move don't get in their squads during the transfer window. To prevent injury and a potential move from falling through. Some people just presume he's not in the squad because he is 'crap' and 'not even good enough for Boro'. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Samuel doesnt look like he can play a part. No league goals for nearly a year.

We do need reinforcements albeit I understand your skepticism of us being held to ransom by Forest.

36 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Bolaise at Boro for talks.If he joins surely opens the door wider for Chapman to leave 

Surely. If he can't get minutes on the bench he's probably not even going to be in the squad when Bolasie signs for them. I'm pretty convinced this could be one of the deals Mowbray was referring to about edging closer, I bet they were reluctant to let him leave until they had a replacement. 

Doesn't Chapman's deal at Boro expire next year? Whilst they will be entitled to a development fee for him if he walks at the end you've got to think that one's a complicated deal as Rovers shouldn't be paying much for a player who is out of contract at the end of the year and is seemingly unwanted by his parent club. 

I know we're living in a different footballing world nowadays and our scouting limitations will be natural, but it wasn't too many years ago we were 'scouting' the likes of Santa Cruz (€3m), Lewandowski (€4m) and Benni McCarthy (€2.5m). = £8m.

Now we're looking at signing a 19 kid from Nottingham Forest with 8 goals in 2nd division football for potentially the same price as those 3 combined... where's the bucket ?.

Would we not be better with Gallacher, Bauer and Freeman for almost the cost of Bereton? I'm not certain, however if we are spending £8m+ on a forward, there must surely be others worthy of that price. 

I mean, we only signed Bradley Dack because he played well in a 4-1 defeat for Gillingham. So Even though the manager does know a good player WHEN he sees one, I just fear we're being ripped off because of lack of scouting ambition. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I know we're living in a different footballing world nowadays and our scouting limitations will be natural, but it wasn't too many years ago we were 'scouting' the likes of Santa Cruz (€3m), Lewandowski (€4m) and Benni McCarthy (€2.5m). = £8m.

Now we're looking at signing a 19 kid from Nottingham Forest with 8 goals in 2nd division football for potentially the same price as those 3 combined... where's the bucket ?.

Would we not be better with Gallacher, Bauer and Freeman for almost the cost of Bereton? I'm not certain, however if we are spending £8m+ on a forward, there must surely be others worthy of that price. 

I mean, we only signed Bradley Dack because he played well in a 4-1 defeat for Gillingham. So Even though the manager does know a good player WHEN he sees one, I just fear we're being ripped off because of lack of scouting ambition. 

I think TM would have known all about Dack from his time managing Coventry in the same league - he won the Player of the Year in that season too. 

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Mowbray has said they've been expanding and are scouting cheaper markets like Ligue 2 in France where there are a lot of talented players. We can't expect this to happen overnight. If Mowbray is willing to shelf out £8m on Brereton he must be pretty confident that he will turn into something. Besides, the market for English players (especially younger players)  inflated - if Brereton signs and is a success, his value will increase exponentially though.

13 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Not too many years ago? Are you sure? Benni 2006 and Santa Cruz 2007. The market has completely changed since then and so have we. I’m afraid we aren’t quite the attractive proposistion we were 11-12 years ago.

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Can’t understand how we are not looking at Scott Hogan. If Sheff Utd can loan him and Villa want rid, surely he’d be an option?

Cos he on 35k a week which we wont be paying. Sheffield United are happy to pay that. Im pleased Mowbray not. Plus injury record isnt the bad

21 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

McCarthy and Santa Cruz would be a lot more in today's market. McCarthy was a champions league winner with interest from other top flight clubs and had a good record in what is a pretty average Portuguese league too be fair but he'd still be 15 million maybe in today's market? Santa Cruz at the time was second string at Bayern Munich but he'd shown ability and in today's market he wouldn't be cheap either. The market is crazy these days, 8 million for Brereton is a hell of a lot for what he's done but that's what you have to pay for "potential" these days it seems. 

Edited by Butty

19 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Is Gallagher even available on loan? 

McClaren will be dead against letting Freeman go. 

We get Bauer on a free next summer..

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos he on 35k a week which we wont be paying. Sheffield United are happy to pay that. Im pleased Mowbray not. Plus injury record isnt the bad

His recent injury record would put me off. If you're going to pay big bucks whoever it is you sign they have to play. Martin Britt who I mentioned a while ago had such a bad knee injury he could only jump off his good leg !