BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

9 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I don't think that's the case any more.

Brereton has been the primay backup to Graham for the majority of the season, and although he hasn't really had a chance in the starting XI, he's had a fair amount of substitute appearances to prove himself - which is the case for any player - and not done much to warrant a starting spot.

Mowbray has then given Nuttall his chance and, although it's very early days, he's proving to be better-suited to deputise for Graham than Brereton has all season.

Having said that, neither of them are a patch on Graham, and I think we need somebody more established to deputise. Gallagher is a good shout, in my opinion - a big unit, and some talent - but I have a feeling that Southampton will want him to be playing regularly in the starting XI, so it's likely that we could see Gallagher on the wide-right, and deputising for Graham when needed. 

Bring him in! 

Agreed. Gally played both wide right and wide left when he was here last time, as well as up front. I think you're right he'll be a lot more of an able deputy to Graham than Nuttall, BB or Samuel. 

Just now, renrag said:

I think that’s unfair, he made a huge error of judgement against Preston but, that was largely due to inexperience and hopefully is something he has learned from. We don’t know why he went to Brum, maybe Southampton didn’t want him playing League 1 football?

That's why players are loaned out by the parent clubs.  Go and make your mistakes somewhere else and learn from them.  I'd be more than happy with Gallagher providing it's with a view to permanent.  Different to what we currently have.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Brereton has been the primay backup to Graham for the majority of the season, and although he hasn't really had a chance in the starting XI, he's had a fair amount of substitute appearances to prove himself - which is the case for any player - and not done much to warrant a starting spot.

Mowbray has then given Nuttall his chance and, although it's very early days, he's proving to be better-suited to deputise for Graham than Brereton has all season.

Having said that, neither of them are a patch on Graham, and I think we need somebody more established to deputise. Gallagher is a good shout, in my opinion - a big unit, and some talent - but I have a feeling that Southampton will want him to be playing regularly in the starting XI, so it's likely that we could see Gallagher on the wide-right, and deputising for Graham when needed.

Bring him in!

If Samuel had been fit he'd have been starting wide right then moving across or coming on for Graham if he hadn't started as we've seen in the past. Ironically we might not have sign Brereton had Samuel been fit and active !

Disagree slightly on Brereton being Grahams back up as he's rarely gone like for like when subbing I just think his sole aim was to give BB mins on the pitch and hope he showed some glimpses of being a wide striker that TM wants him to be. They've cocked up with that one in the way they've handled him if not the whole signing itself any regular fan could've told them Nuttall was a more ready than Brereton and of course given his size a more natural shout to fill in for DG.  Imo there's been a definite reluctance to use him and now he's made the break through it looks like he'll be shunted straight out so for me there's a few reasons behind it.

Having said that games will do him good no denying that but they'd also do more good for Brereton.  Gally I like and yes he gives us some more much needed height but again I see DG/Dack combo starting and Gallagher being wide striker again when used.. arrgggg....

17 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Bring him in!

This is why TM has to decide on the way forward.  If it's 2 centrally, then you would look at Graham and Nuttall/Armstrong as a decent combination.  If it's one, then it has to be a target/hold up man to make the system work.

Alternatively, sign loads and take your pick!

• Like 1

Mogga was on the radio talking about AA yesterday. Said eventually that he will start up front (which is where AA wants to play) but that for now he'll continue to play out wide. What's been good recently is that we are actually putting the ball in between the full back and CH for him to run on to and not just giving him the ball out wide. It's frustrating to watch him making those runs and him never getting the ball. It must be immensely annoying for him. Again though it comes down to Travis' emergence. We seem to be a bit higher up the pitch and able to play through the 'thirds' at the moment. It's easier to play someone in on the deck from 20 yards than it is from 50. It's amazing the difference Travis has made really. I was all for the Smallwood and Evans combo continuing too?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think Nuttall is a goal scorer and not a lot else. You could tell the difference yesterday as soon as he replaced Graham that the ball stopped sticking up front. Whereas Graham will bring it down and lay it off to a team mate, Nuttall will flick it on to nobody in particular.

The other side to that coin is that Graham, because of the role he plays, rarely gets in the box to tap in crosses from 6 yards out like Nuttall did against Ipswich. 

I think Nuttall will eventually score a lot of goals for the right team. He's more of a Rhodes than a Graham.

He's getting those headers though, Rhodes didn't.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

How ridiculous.  Nuttall is twice the player Gallagher is and ever will be. Are we just trying to suck up to Southampton or something. 

Feed the Nut!

Gally the Relegation Bottler and then fecks off to another shit championship team. What's the point?

I would play an injured Gallagher before nuttall

5 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Liked Gally when he was here. Loose player, but scored a few, and some good ones at that.

If we're using that players who looked decent under Coyle would look 50% better under a decent manager, he'll do for me.

I hope he's being brought in as a striker. He was played wide last time by Mowbray and as a result he was probably the only player that looked better under Coyle.

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Ffs, I was just about to go to bed!?

Don't worry, you can go to bed just make sure you wake up before Thursday. 

48 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Has Brereton got a brother?

I think we signed his brother !

The directors at my Rugby League team went down to South Wales to sign a Rugby Union player. Given the relations between the two codes at that time everything had to be keep very quiet. They watched the lad play and they were really impressed so the decided to make an approach in the Club House after the game. When they went inside a bit later on they saw the guy at the bar on his own. They made their position known and asked him if he would sign a contract there and then. The lad agreed gladly to sign for the sum of £1,000, quite a bit back in the day.

What they didn't know was that they were talking to the players twin brother who'd lost a foot after he stepped on a land mine in the war !

After spinning them along for an hour or two the lad owned up to the fact he only had one foot and tore up the contract in front of the two mightily relieved directors !

24 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Reed permanent? Wouldn't be cheap.

A lot depends what division we are in next season. We could go up and Southampton could come down. Unlikely I know but not impossible. If they are planning to get the cheque book out now is a good time but lets have some genuine starters and not more " investments ".

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A lot depends what division we are in next season. We could go up and Southampton could come down. Unlikely I know but not impossible. If they are planning to get the cheque book out now is a good time but lets have some genuine starters and not more " investments ".

Agreed.  If we spend now,  you would hope it's on  genuine quality to get us up.  One or two astute signings may sneak us in.  There are no nailed on certs in this league but a lot of competitively matched teams who can all beat each other.  It will be the same next year, regardless of who comes down.  Win 4 or 5 on the bounce and you're up there.  Feb will be a decisive month I think.  If we can get 9 points or more from those games, it will give us as good a shout as anyone.