BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What Needs To Change and Where Do We Go From Here?

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Lenihan of this season won't go for anything like that sort of money, indeed I'd argue his value hasn't gone up since Sheff Utd were interested in him 18 months ago.

I think both Raya and Nyambe will go on to have good careers at a decent level in the future but I wouldn't be paying that sort of money for them at this moment in time.

Why not? we paid 7 mill for potential.

10 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Why not? we paid 7 mill for potential.

Agree. What we’d want/expect is different to what players are worth.

A recent championship full back to premier league club was Joe Bryan - 6m. If we sold Nyambe for a penny less, I’d be frustrated.

5 minutes ago, alcd said:

I don't see where the next win is coming from and failing to beat either Millwall (A) and Ipswich (H) will really have the alarm bells ringing.

Alarm bells ringing? If we lose the next three - including those two 6 pointers then he needs to be clearing his desk. No excuses. 1 win in 12 would be far beyond alarm bells ringing. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Backroom

No clean sheet in 9 games now. We've shipped more goals than Wigan, Brentford, Millwall, Reading and Bolton, and the same amount as Rotherham. All of these teams are currently below us. It's very clear that we are a defensive shambles. Mulgrew/Lenihan is not the answer, neither is the pairing of Evans/Smallwood. Not sure any of our full backs are realistically good enough either.

Severe surgery needed long term. Short term bringing in a decent CB and a competent LB (Williams & Bell are both L1 standard) might be enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

We need Sam Gallagher, by hook or by crook. Just that one signing would be a huge boost to the whole team, and it's a position we desperately need to be filling, because Brereton is not up to the job. It will be pleasantly surprised if we stump up ANY transfer money after having yet to splash out £7m on somebody who is already at the club. I think we're going to be limited to frees and loans - business as usual - but we absolutely have to get some new faces in that can impact the first team.

How can you blame the striker whose had his first start of the season today away to a consistent top 6 team at home even though he's been here since the summer?

Game collapsed on itself once we brought a midfielder on to play striker again and the managers son got sent off. Fans need to see past an individual player or price and ask why this is happening. 

What's the odds that once Smallwoods ban is over he will be first pick again? Travis showed why Smallwood should be relegated to cone duty from now on unless we want to be back in league 1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom Stinny said:

What's the odds that once Smallwoods ban is over he will be first pick again? Travis showed why Smallwood should be relegated to cone duty from now on unless we want to be back in league 1.

I will be interesting to see. Travis barley played last season after a red card that could have cost us key points at Portsmouth lets see if the same applies for Smallwood.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

He was one of the very few who played well for us in that season, so to apportion blame to even just a handful of decent players for the failings of one manager is ludicrous. I'm not sure what other options are out there, but Gallagher would fit the bill as much better competition for Graham than anything else we have at the club.

Perhaps Joe Nuttall should be given another chance, but I can't see that happening in this division.

You certainly weren't at the notlob home game that season or you would not say that my friend.  He's a lightweight 

43 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

We need Sam Gallagher, by hook or by crook. Just that one signing would be a huge boost to the whole team, and it's a position we desperately need to be filling, because Brereton is not up to the job. It will be pleasantly surprised if we stump up ANY transfer money after having yet to splash out £7m on somebody who is already at the club. I think we're going to be limited to frees and loans - business as usual - but we absolutely have to get some new faces in that can impact the first team.

He's just Brereton MK2.

• Like 1

I like Gallagher but I also like strikers playing as strikers, just what will TM do if Graham is out any length of time ?  Play with no centre forwards at all ?  Because he seems incapable of having any other centre forward other than DG up front.

If someone gave you the scenario of a 15 million transfer budget and a wage limit of 25k-30k per player who would people suggest we signed and why? 

I know it's more than likely to never happen but it's become depressing recently with the results from the team.

I'd be looking at Goalkeeper, centre back, left back, Reed permanently, Left winger and Striker so we had a team set up of the following.

Raya

Nyambe New Mulgrew New

Reed Rodwell/Travis

Bennet Dack New

Graham/New

49 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I like Gallagher but I also like strikers playing as strikers, just what will TM do if Graham is out any length of time ?  Play with no centre forwards at all ?  Because he seems incapable of having any other centre forward other than DG up front.

I'd like him to give Brereton some more chances down the middle. Sounded like he was okay today. Not brilliant but not the worst on the pitch either. 

Travis also sounded like he held his own. These two sound be in the 11 or in the 18 man squad for now and future seasons. Maybe because I've a bias for academy players I'd rather Travis before both Evans and Smallwood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's just Brereton MK2.

Think Gallagher's career has stalled.

Doesn't seem to have been a rush of clubs in for his services since Brum last season.

Think his scoring average is about 1 in 6 - a 7 or 8 goal a season man is not good enough for us. 

There have to be better options out there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

I'd like him to give Brereton some more chances down the middle. Sounded like he was okay today. Not brilliant but not the worst on the pitch either. 

Travis also sounded like he held his own. These two sound be in the 11 or in the 18 man squad for now and future seasons. Maybe because I've a bias for academy players I'd rather Travis before both Evans and Smallwood.

I think they should be afforded the same patient approach and mins that is afforded to Brereton instead of being chucked in doing ok then thrown back down the pecking order again.  There's been a few examples of this and by the same token so called senior players on the best pay etc shouldn't be automatically reinstated in the team if their stand in or back up player has been doing a good job in their absence.

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Gallagher will come but he’ll be shunted out wide. So would you take him on that account? I wouldn’t. 

Definitely not but going off last time he plays it better than Samuel or Brereton although paying what it would cost to borrow him then sticking him wide would be plain stupid unless he going to use a front 3 more often which might be the case if Dack departed.