BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Bristol City

Just now, Hasta said:

But at the start of the season we didn't realise that most teams in this league were going to be mediocre, or that we would keep shooting ourselves in the foot in the last 10 minutes of games.

At the start of the season I'd have been happy with finishing mid table but not now. Now I feel like the last play off spot is up for grabs. Bristol City didn't look great today and they are 6th. Birmingham are 8th and we were strolling past them until we committed Hari Kari.  Surely watching the way the season has panned out has made people change their view from the opening day.

Maybe this season is like the year Leicester won the premier league. All of the big names are going through a transition period and by next year Stoke, Villa Swansea etc.. will have got their act together. 

We put ourselves in with a chance but , despite all of the talk, didn't strengthen and try and make a serious challenge. Disappointing. 

Yep, seems that way to me 

10 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I agree Nyambe should have started if he is back fit. We were surprised to see Bennett starting and Nyambe on the bench.

The problems we had today was that we made too many changes - unnecessarily.

Personally I wouldn’t have subbed Travis. We can’t keep subbing players who are on yellows, that’s a nonsense. We very much missed his positivity and nobody could really replace that. Amazing how far that lad has come in such a short space of time.

Travis had to go off.  After that tackle, the ref would have sent him off as soon as one of their players fell over within 10 feet of him.  Should never have been booked first half mind.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Travis had to go off.  After that tackle, the ref would have sent him off as soon as one of their players fell over within 10 feet of him.  Should never have been booked first half mind.

Will have to agree to disagree. Although it wasn’t a booking.

In any case, we should have had the options on the bench to not have to make three changes to accommodate it.

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I agree Nyambe should have started if he is back fit. We were surprised to see Bennett starting and Nyambe on the bench.

Personally I wouldn’t have subbed Travis. We can’t keep subbing players who are on yellows, that’s a nonsense. We very much missed his positivity and nobody could really replace that. Amazing how far that lad has come in such a short space of time.

Travis had to be subbed, he was on a yellow and very lucky to still be on the pitch, not to have subbed him would have been risky to say the least.

• Like 5

Travis was poor today and if we hadn't subbed him he'd have been sent off. Bristol City subbed a player in the same situation today straight after he should have had a 2nd yellow.

As for the game it was two average teams cancelling each other out. BCFC won because they could defend. We lost because yet again late in a game we gave a goal away. Apparently it's not a problem though according to Mowbray. Not the attitude of a winner. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I admire your players taking the field in that kit! It made our worst ever home kit bearable to look at for eye relief.

It's iconic - genuinely popular. Mostly because its what we wore when we knocked Liverpool out of the Cup at Anfield in 1994.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Will have to agree to disagree. Although it wasn’t a booking.

In any case, we should have had the options on the bench to not have to make three changes to accommodate it.

Agree with that!

As an aside, that big unit who played up top for them is exactly the type of player we lack.  He could make the ball stick and was a nuisance all game.

Looked £5mil well spent.

Bloody foreign market.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Agree with that!

As an aside, that big unit who played up top for them is exactly the type of player we lack.  He could make the ball stick and was a nuisance all game.

Looked £5mil well spent.

Bloody foreign market.

100%. We said exactly that at the time. Looked good on the ball too.

I guess he is too much a ‘here and now’ player and we need ones for the future.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

With Preston,Bolton and Wigan all yet to roll up at Ewood I just hope to God our set of Players are not thinking about their Holidays just yet....

The Supporters still have their local pride to think about!! <_<

All we have left to play for now.  For this to be a decent season we need to win all 3 of those.  

• Like 2

disappointed to lose today after I felt we deserve a point at least. 

First Half wasn't the best apart from an Armstrong and Reed missing the ball from a cross centre in the box which he would have scored. Defensively decent but Bristol City caused a few problems including a great chance from a corner their number 9 missed

second half, we started well cos we should have scored in their 1st minute if Dack would have pass much better to Armstrong. Dack did brilliant to get a chance at goal. 

but we never reach our top level and we weren't at our best. 

I thought Bennett was brilliant today and show why for my he is one of the 1st names on teamsheet. He was very good at right back and even better on the right wing. 

Mowbray was right to bring Travis off. if he stayed on he would have got sent off. very sensible by Mowbray despite what some members think. Same as Lee Johnson did with their right back Bailey Wright after Armstrong had the better of him. that's change when he bought on a different right back. 

disappointed that Brereton did not come on instead of Nuttall. I felt that we were tired after 75 mins and after they scored we didn't have the spirit to get a goal. 

I would have bought on Rothwell and Brereton for Graham and Dack who I felt look knackered after 70 odd minutes. 

I didn't booed Palmer or clapped him. He is showpony for me and didn't do anything today despite what @roversfan99. says and what he did to fans at the Blackburn End wasn't 

I expected a mid table finish and not a playoff push this season. We need 4 or 5 quality signings in summer and keep hold of Dack then I expect a playoff push. 

Mowbray has done a great job here and after signing a new contract 3 months ago he going nowhere any time soon. The owners bought into his vision for the club and his plans for the club. Long may this continue IMO. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

disappointed to lose today after I felt we deserve a point at least. 

First Half wasn't the best apart from an Armstrong and Reed missing the ball from a cross centre in the box which he would have scored. Defensively decent but Bristol City caused a few problems including a great chance from a corner their number 9 missed

second half, we started well cos we should have scored in their 1st minute if Dack would have pass much better to Armstrong. Dack did brilliant to get a chance at goal. 

but we never reach our top level and we weren't at our best. 

I thought Bennett was brilliant today and show why for my he is one of the 1st names on teamsheet. He was very good at right back and even better on the right wing. 

Mowbray was right to bring Travis off. if he stayed on he would have got sent off. very sensible by Mowbray despite what some members think. Same as Lee Johnson did with their right back Bailey Wright after Armstrong had the better of him. that's change when he bought on a different right back. 

disappointed that Brereton did not come on instead of Nuttall. I felt that we were tired after 75 mins and after they scored we didn't have the spirit to get a goal. 

I would have bought on Rothwell and Brereton for Graham and Dack who I felt look knackered after 70 odd minutes. 

I expected a mid table finish and not a playoff push this season. We need 4 or 5 quality signings in summer and keep hold of Dack then I expect a playoff push. 

Mowbray has done a great job here and after signing a new contract 3 months ago he going nowhere any time soon. The owners bought into his vision for the club and his plans for the club. Long may this continue IMO. 

We needed 4-5 quality signings this year, what makes you think he will make them in summer??

Bennett was brilliant on the wing? He made a couple of decent runs with no end product. I like the lad but he isn't a winger in a million years.  His career goals/assists ratio is shocking.  If that was brilliant wing play then we are setting the bar very low.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I think you are underplaying the situation, not only was Travis on a yellow card, he had just made a rash challenge that he was lucky to get away with and with a game becoming a little open, I thought it was a wise decision.

Travis' was a couple of levels below his recent performances, that being said lets hope one poor game isnt an excuse to resume the Evans and Smallwood partnership again.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

We needed 4-5 quality signings this year, what makes you think he will make them in summer??

Bennett was brilliant on the wing? He made a couple if decent runs with no end product. I like the lad but he isn't a winger in a million years.  His career goals/assists ratio is shocking.  If that was brilliant wing play then we are setting the bar very low.

Mowbray told you in the summer how he would manage this season and I would say Armstrong, Reed and Rodwell have prove their worth. Brereton was a project signing. Palmer waste of time. Rothwell not had enough time on pitch. Davenport been injured so far but think he will be good. Chapman is someone he always wanted. 

well we have to disagree then wont we. Bennett was our best player out there today

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Always interesting to see how people see the game differently. Personally I’d have taken Travis off at halftime, and not because he was on a yellow card. I thought he had a poor game, wanted too much time on the ball and gave the ball away cheaply time and again - I think potentially it showed just how important Evans is in there alongside him. 

He wasn’t alone though. Reed also was below his usual standard and Dack looked off the pace. And the less said about Williams the better. 

As someone else has said, unfortunately we’re not a good enough team to win if we’re not all on our game and it showed today

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Bennett was brilliant on the wing? He made a couple if decent runs with no end product. I like the lad but he isn't a winger in a million years.  His career goals/assists ratio is shocking.  If that was brilliant wing play then we are setting the bar very low.

We didn’t make 4-5 quality signings this year which means we didn’t need them.

This season is looking like petering out therefore this season is all about consolidating after promotion.

Bolton and Wigan are doing badly so that means we need to be happy that we are not them.

Everything is exactly as it should be. Ambition can wait until another year.

When we buy the right players that will be the right time to buy the right players.

When we get near the play-offs in future seasons then we can can start to think about promotion. But only if the manager agrees, otherwise we need to be patient, get real maybe.

Or we could just fall backwards as another three rich clubs tumble out of the PL and make promotion even more unlikely in future years. At which point our lack of PL income/parachute payments will be used as an excuse as to why we can’t compete and fans should just get behind the boys and the manager regardless.

We are in no rush.

(Forgot to add, Palmer was a waste of time because he left. Had he stayed he would have been a good loan signing.)

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So what happens if we don't get the 4-5 quality signings? Either because we can't afford them, the manager can't find them or we have a repeat of Brereton and they never get in the team?

What happens if we lose Dack? Does the play-off push plan get thrown out of the window?

I agree Mowbray has done a good job here. As for going nowhere any time soon I find that to be concerning. Of course we all HOPE he continues to do well and by virtue of that is here long term but that SHOULD depend entirely on results and league position. We had an awful Xmas, an excellent January and now we've had two very poor results in February. I'm afraid regardless of contract situation and 'visions' for the club the manager is judged on results and if those aren't good enough then he SHOULD be under pressure from above. You seem to be suggesting that he should be safe in his job irrespective of results just because the owners like him and gave him a contract extension. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray told you in the summer how he would manage this season and I would say Armstrong, Reed and Rodwell have prove their worth. Brereton was a project signing. Palmer waste of time. Rothwell not had enough time on pitch. Davenport been injured so far but think he will be good. Chapman is someone he always wanted. 

well we have to disagree then wont we. Bennett was our best player out there today

Chaddy, of the players you named Reed is on loan , Rodwell out of contract in the summer and he doesn't trust Rothwell or Brereton enough to not alone start them, but even bring them off the bench. 

Simply, we need to have a better transfer window next summer. 

• Like 6

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

This is the problem though. Mowbray speaks about longer term development and yet Reed isn't our player, and will likely not be here beyond the summer, Rodwell is also out of contract and may not want to stick around, we simply aren't in a position to make a 'project signing'. How many of Bristol City's signings have been 'project buys'?

Rothwell has barely featured because the manager hasn't played him. He's been fit and ready all season as far as I'm aware. Davenport - who is he going to ever play ahead of in this squad? Chapman is another project by the looks of things. 

• Like 1