BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Bristol City

10 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Apologies if already mentioned but TM was fuming with Nyambe for the goal and singled him out.

Something like “we had a substitute come on and not do his job”

He had a mare there did Ryan, but could it have been a foul?

Nice to have Charlie back, thought he did well as did Smallwood.

It was a foul but Nyambe was weak. TM also blamed Raya in the interview I read. 

Rothwell is one of those players who is brilliant because he never plays. He's a talented lad but there's no football brain there. Yesterday he picked up the ball a few times and just ran as fast as he could towards the corner. The full back just backed him off until he ran out of room. TM was also going mad at him for hanging around on the wing when Charlie was about to put the ball in the box from a deep free kick. His 'best' moment though was  walking away from taking a corner in the last seconds when he was stood at the corner flag and nobody else was anywhere near. The BBE had to tell him to take. Mogga was just shaking his head. 

Cracking ball for Nuttall though. 

Talented but with something missing upstairs would be my view. Probably why he wasn't even a regular for L1 Oxford. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

When I saw the starting lineup ahead of the game, I was concerned to say the least. 

Travis had his worst game for us so far and Mowbray made the right call in hooking him before he was sent off.

Smallwood and Bennett were alright, I don’t think anyone emerges from the game with any credit really. Though the criticism of Graham continues to be really bizarre.

It didn’t seem like either team would score if we played all week, then they notched  from a corner.

A bad day at the office that needs to be rectified next week at home to ‘Boro.

That’s two games in a row that people have been critical of Travis. What is it he did or didn’t do, in your view?

Because from my perspective we lose the midfield battle when he isn’t in it.

Dont think Travis played that badly, but it was his, lets say, most standard of performances since starting. Was the right thing to take him off due to his booking, we all know what happened the last time he got himself sent off and suspended.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That’s two games in a row that people have been critical of Travis. What is it he did or didn’t do, in your view?

He kept giving the ball away for a start. He was also caught in possession a few times. Mogga wasn't impressed when he did it in front of him. He's a young lad, he's not going to be MOTM every game. He'll have dips in form and bad games like all young lads do. 

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He can’t have a blinder every game, he’s set himself some pretty high standards with his previous displays. 

He gave the ball away a lot and seemed really nervous. Obviously, he wasn’t alone, it just stood out more with him as he’s usually a lot better than that.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Rothwell is one of those players who is brilliant because he never plays. He's a talented lad but there's no football brain there. Yesterday he picked up the ball a few times and just ran as fast as he could towards the corner. The full back just backed him off until he ran out of room. TM was also going mad at him for hanging around on the wing when Charlie was about to put the ball in the box from a deep free kick. His 'best' moment though was  walking away from taking a corner in the last seconds when he was stood at the corner flag and nobody else was anywhere near. The BBE had to tell him to take. Mogga was just shaking his head. 

Cracking ball for Nuttall though. 

Talented but with something missing upstairs would be my view. Probably why he wasn't even a regular for L1 Oxford. 

A few weeks ago I expressed an opinion that I hadn't seen any end product in what Rothwell offered. He seemed to be all about picking up the ball, running at defenders, often beating one or two and then most of the time giving the ball away.

He then proceeded to put in a couple of good performances immediately after and I thought he was making progress. Then yesterday he was back to a headless chicken performance. To add to blueboy's points there was another when Williams had the ball on the touchline and looked up into an acre of space up the left wing whilst Rothwell was standing around on the edge of the box.

I haven't read many of the posts after the game as we have been entertaining my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, both Bristol City season ticket holders. They were both apologetic after the game for having stolen the points - we all agreed that a draw would have been the fairer result. Despite them sitting in a play-off position currently they can't see them staying there.

Certainly we will play worse and get something from a future game - in fact we did play worse against QPR and won earlier in the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Same goes for Rothwell, fair does to TM for signing him up but come on mate, have some bloody faith in him. Looked good again when he came on yesterday, what does he have to do get a start? When I'm seeing likes of Conway and Smallwood playing ahead of him I'm left scratching my head. Rothwell has turned in far better performances in his few starts than either of those 2. He's simply a better player, so why not play him? I just don't get it. 

Indeed, only had 20 mins yesterday but still produced possibly the pass of the game for Nuttall, who should have done better. 

The stats probably say he loses the ball more than most but that's because he's actually trying to create things, not everything is going to come off but at least he's capable.

Not saying he's a world beater, but 3 league starts by mid February for somebody who clearly has ability - I don't get it either. He'd only get better too with a run of starts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, only2garners said:

A few weeks ago I expressed an opinion that I hadn't seen any end product in what Rothwell offered. He seemed to be all about picking up the ball, running at defenders, often beating one or two and then most of the time giving the ball away.

He then proceeded to put in a couple of good performances immediately after and I thought he was making progress. Then yesterday he was back to a headless chicken performance. To add to blueboy's points there was another when Williams had the ball on the touchline and looked up into an acre of space up the left wing whilst Rothwell was standing around on the edge of the box.

Rothwell needs to be playing more he's shown that he has some ability, but he isn't going to get better or learn unless he get's more game time. You can see when he comes on how desperate he is to do well and impress the manager to get himself a start which leads to him trying to do too much at times. I feel for the lad he has some ability yet by mid February he has started less games that Conway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Absolutely, which is why a few more wins and we should be playing Rothwell and Brereton and taking a look at the Under 23s. Need to think to next season, and figure out 3/4 spots in the starting 11 that we need to improve. Tony also needs to see if there is a better formation. So sick of 4-2-3-1.

can you explain why you sick of 4-2-3-1? 

and what would you see Formation wise and starting line up wise?m 

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

What like a Pukki, or that Beranio fella that played against us for Brentford? There are plenty of steals to be found out there both domestically and abroad that would not cost a lot in transfer fees and wages. 

The problem is that our scouting at the moment seems to amount to players that have already worked under TM or are at one of his former clubs. The January window for instance looks like we put all of our eggs into the SG basket with no alternative targets lined up if we didnt get him over the line. 

DG will be a year older next season, so his position is one that really needs strengthening (it already did this season but we spunked the money on a 'project' signing instead). CB needs strengthening, LB needs strengthening. 

Benrahma, the winger signed from French second division in summer? 

Rovers didn't have a scouting network in place when Mowbray took the job. So it has taken time to put in overseas scouting network and not easy to do. 

Maybe we should be advertising for scouts from European countries? 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

“Incapable?”. That term should be reserved for our scouts. We have money. We pay these people to find players. Any research I put in is almost irrelevant - although right now it’s looking like the club would be better off paying me to look as our current scout team can only seem to link us with players who have already played for us - or kids for the youth team.

We were within reach of the play-offs following a great January after a poor December. We could and should have strengthened. We only get two opportunities per year to do so. If January isn’t a time to strengthen - for a team competing for a play-off place - then they should scrap it completely because nobody would ever buy anyone. Or is it just Rovers that excuse applies to?

Having not strengthened we are still fielding makeshift teams and looking like having a February which look like falling away. In the good old days, being safe from relegation was the time to let the players off the leash, not remain ultra cautious. Taking off Travis yesterday was a sign of that caution. Are we going to do that every time he gets a yellow? Because if I was an opposition player I’d make it my mission to get him booked. Another example is us losing a ready-to-go player in Palmer, due to lack of game time, and replacing him with an unfit crock who has barely played for 12 months - just because he had played for us before.

Did you not see Kamy's post about the Scouting system? 

Did you read Mowbray comments about the players he wants were too expensive or asking for crazy wages? Surely you are better off either waiting for your 1st targets to be available or scout in between transfer windows for new targets. or would you rather take a gamble on player the manager didn't really want

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

First match at Ipswich set the tone for the season in terms of conceding late goals. Getting tired of it. 

It's been going on at this level for a lot longer than this season Jim. Coyle's team was just as bad. You need guys who'll kick their grandmothers to win a game of football. we haven't got anything like enough of them. We're a team of nice lads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal said:

If the aim is promotion then we have some way to go I think. 

After last week it was obvious Bennett shouldn't be first choice right back, TM said so the day before. So of course the right decision was to leave him at right back and drop Bell instead (wtf?). Bennett didn't play badly yesterday to be fair but this favroutism of picking certain players ahead of better or developing players really irks me at times. Nyambe needs to play, learn and be allowed to make mistakes, especially now at this stage of the season, the season is over for us anyway so we might aswell play our young players. 

Same goes for Rothwell, fair does to TM for signing him up but come on mate, have some bloody faith in him. Looked good again when he came on yesterday, what does he have to do get a start? When I'm seeing likes of Conway and Smallwood playing ahead of him I'm left scratching my head. Rothwell has turned in far better performances in his few starts than either of those 2. He's simply a better player, so why not play him? I just don't get it. 

An unpopular opinion I have... I'm not convinced David Raya should be our out and out 1st choice keeper. Don't get me wrong, I like the lad, good shot stopper but he's pretty quiet on the pitch and I don't find him a particularly commanding presence. There's something about him that just seems to make a us a bit soft. 

I wasn't left to dissapointed yesterday. After last week I'd accepted that it's season over for us, we don't have anything to play for really and we're going achieve what we set out to do... Which has exceeded my expectations. What I want to see now is more faith in the likes of Nyambe, Rothwell, Brereton, Chapman and maybe even Dan Butterworth. 

I think we need a keeper to challenge Raya for the number 1 spot. Raya is good shot stopping but his decision making is his main weakness. 

I would like to see Rothwell play more. 

Bennett for me, he is certain starter every week cos what he brings to the table in terms of work rate, energy, closing down, experience and leadership. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Travis should have been sent off yesterday and Mowbray was right to take him off. He lost his head. 

I didn't Travis was that poor but didn't have the same high performance he had in previous games. 

Smallwood had a better game yesterday than Travis but Travis is young and he cant be very good every time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Butty said:

I’ve been out since after the game and too be fair I came on here expecting a lot worse than I’ve seen. The playoffs are gone so hopefully we can just pick up as many points as possible till the end of the season. If we can finish between 9th-13th then it’s been a good season. This summer is absolutely massive for us, Sheff united have shown with an organised team with a bit of quality you can achieve in this league, I think with the right signings we can do the same next season. Right this season off because we aren’t going down and we aren’t going up... All about next year.

Will TM have the cajones to tell the V’s he’s gonna go for it? I have serious doubts. 

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Apologies if already mentioned but TM was fuming with Nyambe for the goal and singled him out.

Something like “we had a substitute come on and not do his job”

He had a mare there did Ryan, but could it have been a foul?

Nice to have Charlie back, thought he did well as did Smallwood.

yes he lost his man for goal. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11632713/blackburn-0-1-bristol-city

Highlights^ Nyambe didn't lose his man. They were hugging each other. His mistake was to not be looking at the ball. Raya was asleep.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17421612.blackburn-rovers-0-bristol-city-1-player-ratings/

I think Sharpe was asleep too. He claims Raya was blocked off for the goal:rolleyes:

Well we were down in the Midlands visiting in friends over the weekend so I haven't seen anything of the game. All I know is as soon as we got back to our friends house from a trip out they put BBC sport on the TV. Almost immediately the guy said words to the effect " There's been a goal at Ewood Park, lets go over there ". How did I know at that very moment that 1) Bristol would be the team getting the goal when there was only 10 minutes to go? 2)  That would be that as far as we were concerned and the chance of a late equaliser was nil ?

51 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/11632713/blackburn-0-1-bristol-city

Highlights^ Nyambe didn't lose his man. They were hugging each other. His mistake was to not be looking at the ball. Raya was asleep.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17421612.blackburn-rovers-0-bristol-city-1-player-ratings/

I think Sharpe was asleep too. He claims Raya was blocked off for the goal:rolleyes:

Those highlights don't reflect too badly on us in terms of the overall pattern of the game. We should definitely have had a goal from one of those chances. However, that doesn't excuse the sh!t defending of that corner.

Edited by JeffRover

15 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Have to say I don’t agree with the sentiment we are just as good as Bristol City. They beat us twice by an aggregate 5-1 and pretty much all their goals were soft, stupid or where we had just given up. They, on the other hand, gave us nothing.

Agreed. We can't defend. It's that simple. BCFC have won 3 of their last 5 away games 1-0. They've only conceded 5 in their last 10 games home and away. We've conceded 16. 

As an attacking unit I thought they were fairly average. In the last 10 they've scored 14, we've scored 15. They've got 24 points over that period, we've got 13. 

Apparently though, according to TM,  our defending is not an issue. ?

• Like 3