BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

6 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Glad you said it. He is truly terrible at this level. 

Dominic Samuel is better than nuttall and brereton and I would sell him in a heartbeat.

We need some real strikers. Hungry, ready made goalscorers with ability not these failed experimental flops

Very harsh.

Nuttall has some work to do but still has potential. His Championship record stands up to Samuel’s despite being three years younger and still only an U23 graduand. Samuel is finished at 25 (!) - he can’t stay fit for more than 5 minutes. Absolutely no way would I be putting any faith in him.

Personally I think we need to sign two Championship strikers. If Mowbray were ruthless he would pay off Samuel and loan out both Brereton and Nuttall to L1 sides until January, and bring back the one who improves the most. Graham would be the cover from the bench.

38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Very harsh.

Nuttall has some work to do but still has potential. His Championship record stands up to Samuel’s despite being three years younger and still only an U23 graduand. Samuel is finished at 25 (!) - he can’t stay fit for more than 5 minutes. Absolutely no way would I be putting any faith in him.

Personally I think we need to sign two Championship strikers. If Mowbray were ruthless he would pay off Samuel and loan out both Brereton and Nuttall to L1 sides until January, and bring back the one who improves the most. Graham would be the cover from the bench.

I saw Nuttall play and train at Aberdeen and he didn't show anything there either.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Very harsh.

Your right. It is very harsh.

But do we want to compete at the top end or do we want to fight at the bottom.

Tony is the one saying we want to fight at the top end and splashing 7 million on youth projects. If your doing that you need the right players and ambition. Bring in some first team decent striker and Ben can have as much time as he needs to develop. Nuttall can go on loan until he's old enough for everyone to realise he isn't good enough. 

If we have any ambition and want to progress as a team and compete. Brereton (next season), Samuel and nuttall are not going to fire you to your targets. It's as simple as that for me

Honestly would any of those three get in to a starting 11 and be used from the bench week in week out in the top ten teams this season ? Look at the teams they possibly would get in and which way they are going

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Think Nuttall be loaned out rather than sold , Samuel's a funny one because he's hardly played championship football for us how can we possibly judge him ? , that said I think he's probably down the pecking order now to play in one of those forward roles.

Conway  Gladwin and the Canadian I can agree with Smallwooddid a great job for us in league 1 and I still maintain if we had signed him in the January of the season we got relegated , we would not have got relegated , but there is no room for sentiment in football and yes maybe his time is up ditto Bennett and Williams 

Mulgrew I think we would miss more than people realise at the moment , it is clear now Lenighan is not only our best defender , but the defender we most missed during that dreadful run During Feb/March and is Imo Captain material , but until Charlie came our set pieces were awful , and while I admit you cannot have a player in the team just for free kicks and corners who else at the club is going to step forward ?

i still think there's place in the squad for Rodwell ,  there's games he's played he has stood out as a cut above , but if I was Mowbray I wouldn't be able to guarantee 1st team football week in week out for him

Edited by AJW
  • Like 2

Just now, AJW said:

Samuel's a funny one because he's hardly played championship football for us how can we possibly judge him ? ,

When he was failing to trap a ball and missing one on ones against Wimbledon and alike

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You can scout all you like for quality players but if the owners don't provide the cash or we take weeks and weeks to get approval then the chances are that decent players will go elsewhere and we'll be running around trying to find what's left over. Good to see the manager is using this time to do some homework and preparation but until the owners allow the club to get on with it we'll be held back on that.

Having known for some time now what league we are in it is simply inexcusable to be almost in May and have no confirmed budget, pre-season or season tickets.

11 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes. It implies that certain individuals are good enough but need competition to get the best out of them.

I would argue that they simply are not good enough and competition wouldn't fix it. We would end up with equal mediocrity on that basis.

Not how I heard it really - when he was explicitly talking about moving players on that aren't of the standard required.

Just now, tomphil said:

Hope extra funding has been allocated for this Euro venture and it's not eating into any player budget.  Probably need a DOF when you are going down this route with big intentions.

Yeah. The difficulty I see is that it appears to be a Mowbray brain child. I suspect he is the one who has identified it as an area of concern and has diverted energy and resources into improving it. Really it should be the owners, board or sporting director who decide to go down that route whilst the manager focuses his time and energy on coaching the players on the training ground.

At the moment we've not a lot to go for on the pitch (other than perhaps getting a top half finish which would be nice) so nobody is too bothered that Mowbray is jetting off all over the place. But really you need a Director of Football who is going to do this sort of thing, organise the scouts every week and build up the database of targets.

Too much for one man to handle and it all hinges on the manager being here.

Such a short term position as a manager means these things need to be entrusted elsewhere. A manager is never (or at least should never) be more than a few bad results away from the axe. That's the reality of the industry. So it seems silly to be to put him at the centre of recruitment, scouting and entire direction of the club when it could easily come crashing down after a bad run of form.

Just now, tomphil said:

Hope extra funding has been allocated for this Euro venture and it's not eating into any player budget.  Probably need a DOF when you are going down this route with big intentions.

Why do you think we would need a DOF for this? I think people can over complicate it. Mowbray explains in the article how they are doing it, a few young lads watching videos with senior staff heading over to view first hand. You are probably looking at a couple of 100,000 a season all in, but if 1 signing works out , you make the money back and then some. It's definitely something we need to be doing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Biggest test next season will be keeping hold of Dack and Lenihan. 

I think they will both still be here, but we will certainly have interest.

Lenihan was interviewed yesterday in the LT, the interview sounded like he was already the long-term captain, which is great. He speaks so well for a relatively young guy. 

It's funny, as I would say they are our 2 most important players, yet they couldn't be more different off the field. 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why do you think we would need a DOF for this? I think people can over complicate it. Mowbray explains in the article how they are doing it, a few young lads watching videos with senior staff heading over to view first hand. You are probably looking at a couple of 100,000 a season all in, but if 1 signing works out , you make the money back and then some. It's definitely something we need to be doing. 

Read JH's post above, whilst it is needed and admirable that TM seems to be driving it forwards one man can only do so much and I think there's a bit more to it than a few lads watching videos then recommending a senior staff member to go and watch them.  The rest of the interview goes a bit more in depth and kind of explains that, just think for a minute of the sheer scale of players and games they'll have to sift through and the miles that will be clocked up.

It's another 24/7 arm of the club so someone has to oversee it correctly and the first team managers priority is just that - managing the first team. As for the finance, come on this is football it eats money.

Edited by tomphil

16 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think our atrocious run in Feb and March may have scared clubs off. Think we should be able to keep them till Jan at least, but we will see.

In both cases I think potential buyers were waiting to see how both of them went on in this League. I also think both of them have had mixed seasons so one or two clubs will be interested but I can't see there being a stampede. Having said that there is a dearth of players who can play the Dack type role. On the other hand how many teams would want to play that way ?