BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Read JH's post above, whilst it is needed and admirable that TM seems to be driving it forwards one man can only do so much and I think there's a bit more to it than a few lads watching videos then recommending a senior staff member to go and watch them.  The rest of the interview goes a bit more in depth and kind of explains that, just think for a minute of the sheer scale of players and games they'll have to sift through and the miles that will be clocked up.

It's another 24/7 arm of the club so someone has to oversee it correctly and the first team managers priority is just that. As for the finance, come on this is football it eats money.

Maybe, but in a way its good if the manager is as involved as much as possible. The concern is that we are creating a very "Mowbray centric" recruitment process and not every manager would want to do it the same way. Having a DOF would alleviate this. 

As for the money, just one needs to work out and it could cover the costs for years, even a decade. Brentford sold a centre half to Bournemouth i think it was for 12 million after signing him for very little  

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In both cases I think potential buyers were waiting to see how both of them went on in this League. I also think both of them have had mixed seasons so one or two clubs will be interested but I can't see there being a stampede. Having said that there is a dearth of players who can play the Dack type role. On the other hand how many teams would want to play that way ?

Unless Sheffield United come back in for Lenihan. That would be bad. 

7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Your right. It is very harsh.

But do we want to compete at the top end or do we want to fight at the bottom.

Tony is the one saying we want to fight at the top end and splashing 7 million on youth projects. If your doing that you need the right players and ambition. Bring in some first team decent striker and Ben can have as much time as he needs to develop. Nuttall can go on loan until he's old enough for everyone to realise he isn't good enough. 

If we have any ambition and want to progress as a team and compete. Brereton (next season), Samuel and nuttall are not going to fire you to your targets. It's as simple as that for me

Honestly would any of those three get in to a starting 11 and be used from the bench week in week out in the top ten teams this season ? Look at the teams they possibly would get in and which way they are going

Rovers used to have a habit of jinxing players who bombed when they left. For much of Venkys time here we have missed quality and potential right under our noses.

Nuttall is raw and needs a manager that can turn him into a Kevin Davies type striker. He certainly knows where the goal is. But he does need to bulk up.

Just now, Stuart said:

Rovers used to have a habit of jinxing players who bombed when they left. For much of Venkys time here we have missed quality and potential right under our noses.

Nuttall is raw and needs a manager that can turn him into a Kevin Davies type striker. He certainly knows where the goal is. But he does need to bulk up.

I don't believe he will ever be good enough for the championship but I understand what your saying regarding rovers missing talent and them flourishing elsewhere, although it's still a mute point because as long as he is at rovers he will continue to stagnate. His best chance is to elsewhere and try and develop a style that will suit him and get minutes

• Like 1

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I don't believe he will ever be good enough for the championship but I understand what your saying regarding rovers missing talent and them flourishing elsewhere, although it's still a mute point because as long as he is at rovers he will continue to stagnate. His best chance is to elsewhere and try and develop a style that will suit him and get minutes

I’m inclined to agree. It will be a shame to see him go though after his early promise.

• Like 1

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

That's my big fear for the close season. They allegedly were prepared to pay £5m at the start of the season - they could easily go to £10 to 15m if they get in Premiership.

Would they want to for someone who hasn't played at that level yet? Their defence seems decent, I imagine they'd plump for top flight experience if trying to strengthen it.

29 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

That's my big fear for the close season. They allegedly were prepared to pay £5m at the start of the season - they could easily go to £10 to 15m if they get in Premiership.

Snap their hand off if they do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Snap their hand off if they do.

I don't think he's worth that, either, yet. But I'd be loathe to sell our only good centre half, an area where we are vulnerable, before getting some 100% reliable (or as close as you can get in football) replacements first.

• Like 2

Think they'll be shopping in a bigger bin to be honest now. if they did come back for him, I wouldn't be so keen to take their money even if it was large - we dont spend money at the back, its been bad enough as it is, and we'd be losing our best CB.We'd probably buy some more CM's to play back there or shot slot Bennett in there or something.

15 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Unless Sheffield United come back in for Lenihan. That would be bad. 

Sheff U's great strength is their three mobile centre backs. He would probably be bought for cover rather than a first team place.

21 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

5 young lads in a room at the back of the building watching videos. Target 25 per week. Expected to put the ''neck on the line'' , Yes he did say that.

Sounds like a tacky sweat shop, I wish them well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

5 young lads in a room at the back of the building watching videos. Target 25 per week. Expected to put the ''neck on the line'' , Yes he did say that.

He's getting his excuses in early "The signings aren't my fault, it's little Tommy from Mill Hill who signed them"

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Sounds a sensible use of time and resources to me .

Although if we miss out on a player because "t'internet was down" doesn't have the same exotic ring to it as volcanic ash cloud :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Although if we miss out on a player because "t'internet was down" doesn't have the same exotic ring to it as volcanic ash cloud :)

Of the fax machine...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Young lads? What experience do they have? Students doing this instead of Burgers? Interns paid on results? A system in which Level 1 is built on sand.

Why not ex Pros, they are not all retired fat cat wankers.

The idea is sound and already in use by many Clubs, it's not a new discovery.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

11 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Young lads? What experience do they have? Students doing this instead of Burgers? Interns paid on results? A system in which Leve 1 is built on sand.

Why not ex Pros, they are not all retired fat cat wankers.

The idea is sound and already in use by many Clubs, it's not a new discovery.

Surely it should be the job of scouts to watch these things as it's still scouting.

If it's a load of young lads just ticking boxes I think we might have to wait a while for something to be turned up. Might as well get fans to do it, only off here of course seeing as we are now operating in an unofficial advisory capacity ! ?

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Surely it should be the job of scouts to watch these things as it's still scouting.

If it's a load of young lads just ticking boxes I think we might have to wait a while for something to be turned up. Might as well get fans to do it, only off here of course seeing as we are now operating in an unofficial advisory capacity ! ?

Spot on

19 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Maybe I'm being thick, but do we really have a history of missing out on talent that flourishes elsewhere? Recently I can't think of anyone besides O'Connell, and historically maybe Shay Given? But that's just off the top of my head though, who am I not thinking of?  

Just now, Commondore said:

Maybe I'm being thick, but do we really have a history of missing out on talent that flourishes elsewhere? Recently I can't think of anyone besides O'Connell, and historically maybe Shay Given? But that's just off the top of my head though, who am I not thinking of?  

We had Ron Davies over when we signed Mike England. They were best mates apparently. He was released as a youth and later became a top striker in the old First Division.  Another young Welsh lad we released was John Mahoney who later became a top attacking midfield player at Stoke.

Every club has stories like that. Bolton let Alan Ball and our own Keith Newton go after trials. Burnley told Bryan Robson he'd never be big enough !

Apart from O'Connell I can't think of a recent one. We've had plenty who were going to be big timers that just faded in lower league obscurity though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Commondore said:

Depending how the point was meant, you could argue it applies to any of these from not playing them enough or selling cheap without giving them enough chances: Josh King, Mahoney (potential remains unconfirmed!), Beattie, Ormerod, Rochina, Anthony Pilkington. Jason Lowe (just trolling there).

Also, we let Hoilett's contract run down and clearly didn't rate Cairney enough as we sold him far too cheap, but at least they played consistently. We let Alan Judge go twice.

And yes I'm aware you could argue against most of these applying too. As I said, depends how the point was meant.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1