BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Last week Mowbray was going on about how he reached his peak in his mid 30s. Yet last year he was going on about Mulgrew being too old to play even though he gave him the contact in the first place.

Not as clever as he thinks he is but unfortunately so many just swallow whatever he comes out with and don't question a word of it.

• Like 3

On 13/11/2021 at 09:02, Wood26 said:

There is no sign of this though. The opposite in fact as our best player Dack signed a new deal.

In recent years we haven’t lost anyone that we didn’t want to. Including keeping the likes of Graham and Mulgrew in league one.

The only one argument could be Armstrong, but it was clear to everyone he would be moving to prem.

I would say so far in the Mowbray era we have been great at retaining players. This could look silly in summer if these 4 leave, and time will tell, but maybe they won’t.

But on actual departures in Mowbray era, the Raya one was odd, but everything else I think has been handled fine.

Not our best player though is he? Our best player has played the last 2 years. 

Of course he gonna sign. His move fell through due to inury - he needs a paycheck. Not rocket science due - he aint signing that if fit.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 3

A player signing a new deal after a cruciate knee injury can't be used as a measure to say the club is doing things right re player retention, it would be absolutely crazy not to sign. Anyone thinking differently I would suggest is not in touch with reality when it comes to their football club. In our case, too many fans.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

A player signing a new deal after a cruciate knee injury can't be used as a measure to say the club is doing things right re player retention, it would be absolutely crazy not to sign. Anyone thinking differently I would suggest is not in touch with reality when it comes to their football club. In our case, too many fans.

Would the offer have ben made to many others in the squad, given their performances?

53 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Would the offer have ben made to many others in the squad, given their performances?

No and the offer was deserved but Dack agreed it because it made sense due to his injury. This is the only point I'm making, it shouldn't be taken as false hope that Rovers are attractive to any fit, ambitious talent that have offers elsewhere. Dack had little choice in the end and would have been stupid not to take it, so to use it as a measure that we're moving in the right direction is wrong. The measure will be the answers of players that are fit, in form and can move on but instead choose to sign a new deal...  and it remains to be seen whether the club is able to do that. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

No and the offer was deserved but Dack agreed it because it made sense due to his injury. This is the only point I'm making, it shouldn't be taken as false hope that Rovers are attractive to any fit, ambitious talent that have offers elsewhere. Dack had little choice in the end and would have been stupid not to take it, so to use it as a measure that we're moving in the right direction is wrong. The measure will be the answers of players that are fit, in form and can move on but instead choose to sign a new deal...  and it remains to be seen whether the club is able to do that. 

I agree 👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just positing, if we are top 6 in January, would a transfer budget and new contract for Mowbray be logical? 

No, because if you look at the past 3 February's, then we're pretty much guaranteed to finish somewhere between 15th-12th whatever Mowbray does in Jan.

The last thing we need is him signing a new contract.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just positing, if we are top 6 in January, would a transfer budget and new contract for Mowbray be logical? 

In my opinion, no. My reasoning being, if we are good enough to be in the top six in January, we are probably good enough to stay there. I would save the money to use in the summer, as our needs will vary according to where we finish this season and who the manager is next season. 

Edited by rigger

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

In my opinion, no. My reasoning being, if we are good enough to be in the top six in January, we are probably good enough to stay there. I would save the money to use in the summer, as our needs will vary according to where we finish this season and who the manager is next season. 

Not sure its that simple, as rivals could strengthen 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A manager that has allowed all our better players to get almost to the point of being able to walk out for free, and who has, but for the financial juggling with the STC and the Armstrong sale, almost landed us in severe difficulties with FFP?

All the while whilst failing to crack the top 10 let alone the top 6?

Are you mad, man?

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

A manager that has allowed all our better players to get almost to the point of being able to walk out for free, and who has, but for the financial juggling with the STC and the Armstrong sale, almost landed us in severe difficulties with FFP?

All the while whilst failing to crack the top 10 let alone the top 6?

Are you mad, man?

Did I say he should get one? 

I wouldn't necessarily blame him for the contract situation, we don't fully know what the situation is there. You could also flip your point about Armstrong and say if Mowbray hadn't signed him, we would be in trouble. 

We are 7th now and my question was if we are top 6 in January. 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, so we probably should spend money really 

We ain't finishing top 6 or even top 10 if Mowbray stays imo. If he is allowed to see out his contract (and I have no idea whatsoever why he would be allowed to do so other than save a few pennies) then I would keep any spending in January to a minimum and allow more funding for a new man next season.

It's still more important and economical in the long run to secure the futures of the soon to be out of contract players imo.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't necessarily blame him for the contract situation, we don't fully know what the situation is there. You could also flip your point about Armstrong and say if Mowbray hadn't signed him, we would be in trouble. 

He admitted he didn't offer improved deals to the players in question at the appropriate time as he didn't want to upset the rest of the squad so it is 100% his fault imo.

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He admitted he didn't offer improved deals to the players in question at the appropriate time as he didn't want to upset the rest of the squad so it is 100% his fault imo.

Do you know where I could find these quotes?

If contracts would upset others, that would imply that they would be paid above the current wage structure.

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think you have been seriously miss understood there. I got what you meant.

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Venkys wont act proactively in the January window even if we are genuinely in the hunt for the play offs sadly.

The contract certainly shouldn't be extended though. If we finish in the top 6, then at the end of the season it is worth considering.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm fairly certain the comments were in the LT. I don't have them to hand.

What would upset the rest of the squad?

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Personally, I can’t see any circumstances in which I’d offer Mowbray a new deal. But in answer to your question, I could definitely see the logic in that.

Venky’s and logic have never gone hand in hand though.

Edited by Miller11

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Perfectly logical.

Which is good news based on Venkys' track record.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We ain't finishing top 6 or even top 10 if Mowbray stays imo. If he is allowed to see out his contract (and I have no idea whatsoever why he would be allowed to do so other than save a few pennies) then I would keep any spending in January to a minimum and allow more funding for a new man next season.

It's still more important and economical in the long run to secure the futures of the soon to be out of contract players imo.

I mean, we’re in 7th and the players are still playing for him. I could understand if we were mid table and players wanted him out but that’s not the case is it?

Whatever people think about his quality as a manger, Mowbray hasn’t significantly underachieved in his time here so ending his contract now makes no sense. This is his last chance to get us into the playoffs. If he fails then someone new should come in next season. If he succeeds there’s more of a decision to make.

I have no concerns if he is given money to spend even if a new manager comes in next season. Mowbray has signed more good players than bad.