BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield Town 29.12.19

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That first half against Wigan was as bad as I've seen us play for a long while and that was before Dack was injured. It's a culmination of our poor transfer dealings over the last few years. 

Poor selections and tactics you just will not get any real consistency swapping and changing players and positions all the time.

If anything the little run we had proved that as do numerous other teams.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Yeah giving him 15 minutes to try and make a difference when his target man is an oompa loompa isn't really worth while. I'd start him down the right and Arma on the left with DG and BB up top. Leave SG on the bench to replace DG after an hour. 

LINEUP111577696524401.png

Playing Armstrong and Chapman  on the wings that don't favour them just means they'll be coming inside all the time.  That pretty much negates the point in playing wingers in the first place.

Just now, K-Hod said:

The problem is, there needs to be criticism allowed of the manager, he’s not infallible.

If you play players out of position as often as he does, then you put yourself up there to be shot at.

The being close to the playoffs thing is irrelevant to me. Even if we are as close as that, we have a bad habit of fluffing it when we get that close. I obviously hope the players prove me wrong and end up there though!

Do you think this squad is a top 6 squad? Genuinely? Never! We have a couple of good players and a team which works as hard as they can. If we get into the top 6 then we will have overachieved.

That doesn’t absolve the manager. He’s had some money to spend and whilst he’s spent well on a few, his two major signings have so far fluffed their lines and he will live and die by that.

The points total absolutely does count though mate. Because that is the true measurement of any progress.

• Like 1

Playing Armstrong and Chapman  on the wings that don't favour them just means they'll be coming inside all the time.  That pretty much negates the point in playing wingers in the first place.

Ah because Mane is left footed and Salah, right footed? ?

Just now, Paul Mani said:

You’re miles off with this point. During the last 10 days I’d hazard a guess that lots of teams have made 20 changes due to potential fatigue. Add to that injuries to Tosin, Nyambe, Holtby, Williams and Dack and you can leave your conspiracy theory.

I agree that our problems go much further than than Dack. Our £12m strikers come into focus more than ever to replace the goals we’ve lost. Time will tell.

I agree that other teams will be resting players because of potential fatigue issues. However how much of this potential fatigue is real is a moot point. If I met you in the the street and said. - " Bloody hell Paul, are you OK ? You don't look well at all " how would you feel ? Not full of beans I suspect.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Do you think this squad is a top 6 squad? Genuinely? Never! We have a couple of good players and a team which works as hard as they can. If we get into the top 6 then we will have overachieved.

That doesn’t absolve the manager. He’s had some money to spend and whilst he’s spent well on a few, his two major signings have so far fluffed their lines and he will live and die by that.

The points total absolutely does count though mate. Because that is the true measurement of any progress.

Have we got a top 6 squad?  No.  Have we got a team which works as hard as they can?  Looking at the last three performances, I don't think so.  Has the manager spent well?  Absolutely not.  Will he live or die by it?  Doubt it - he's gotten away with it so far.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, steved said:

I hate to say it but I think you are spot on CS.  Yes, the managers and players will have promotion bonuses written into their contracts, but most of them know that if the team does get promotion they will be shown the door.  So why kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?  All they have to do to keep all that lovely money rolling in is to stay clear of the relegation zone.  

We have to be more ambitious.  And the first step to doing that, in my opinion, is to find and appoint a new manager who has something to prove and isn't content with simply collecting his pay cheque at the end of every month.

If you look at Sheff Utd last season you could have said their players were in the same boat as ours. They'd no really outstanding players last season. They still stormed the league. I'd suggest that their players went for it because they had faith in the manager and had enough confidence in him coping with the Premier League to buy in to a promotion challenge.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I never said it was a top 6 squad?

Spending £12 Million on two strikers, one of which we aren’t allowed to judge yet will be his undoing. Especially after saying defenders were coming and not signing nearly enough.

Of course it counts, but the fact is, being however close to the play offs is irrelevant, as we won’t make them.

Edited by K-Hod

Just now, steved said:

Have we got a top 6 squad?  No.  Have we got a team which works as hard as they can?  Looking at the last three performances, I don't think so.  Has the manager spent well?  Absolutely not.  Will he live or die by it?  Doubt it - he's gotten away with it so far.

If it at the end of every game we can answer the question " Did we give that game our best shot " with a yes,  I'd be happy. I don't expect miracles but I expect every player to give 100% to the team. Hand on heart I can't recall many games in recent seasons were I've felt that. Too many are falling into the trap of thinking they can prolong their careers by playing within themselves.

• Like 4

If it at the end of every game we can answer the question " Did we give that game our best shot " with a yes,  I'd be happy. I don't expect miracles but I expect every player to give 100% to the team. Hand on heart I can't recall many games in recent seasons were I've felt that. Too many are falling into the trap of thinking they can prolong their careers by playing within themselves.

That seems harsh to me. Two seasons ago we achieved club records for the number of wins and points.

Agree with every word TS.  Manager and players need to give of their best, and they aren't doing.

A demanding but simple game being way over complicated at this level both on the field and behind the scenes.

Drones, ipads and their operators don't win you football matches good players being coached and deployed correctly actually do.

No conspiracy in that.

• Like 2

Firstly, the performance yesterday was woeful, we couldn't match their pace or fitness.

Our 1st team squad is incredibly short of experience and once we lose the odd player TM plays experienced players out of position rather than use what's available in the squad.

We have 32 players in our first team squad listed on the official website, but there is not enough quality outside of the top 15.

Players we know little about, or are injured or are out on loan but listed as 1st team - Cunningham, Mulgrew, Hart, Grayson, Magloire, Chapman, Davenport, Costello, Buckley, Dack, Samuel, Butterworth.

Players who are recognised as 'only if there's an injury' Williams, Bell, Smallwood, Leutweier, Fisher.

That's 17 players out of 32 who are not seriously considered as 'first choice', leaving 15 players he trusts, and that's why we get the square pegs in round holes.

Our squad is not strong enough to mount a sustained promotion bid.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

No, but they coincided with the loss of Lenihan. What this really tells us is that we don’t have the right quality behind our best players to continue winning. 

Lenihan is nothing special, I think at times he is as woeful as some as the other centre halves, Tosin is a complete different class in comparison to any other centre half we have. I accept Lenihan is probably being made to look slightly shitter, because the manager is asking them to play it out from the back, but the only player who can do that is Tosin.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

What reason could he possibly have to prefer being in mid table rather than top 6 ?

.....because by being in the top 6 expectations and hopes are raised, and he knows that he is unable to deliver promotion because the squad is not good enough and because he knows his own limitations. .  Mid table is the comfort zone - he can show his superiors (if they are interested or be bothered to ask) that the team is performing adequately given its flaws and weaknesses and the budget he is given to improve it. Call me cynical but I think midtable suits Mowbray perfectly given he is probably in his last big managerial job and the need to boost his pension coffers by a few million before he packs it in

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Supporting the team ?

I don't need to be questioned on my support after 55 years plus of watching Rovers. I pick and choose my games now, and with the cost of watching the game a major expense on a limited budget I have to justify spending that sort of money. I would go to Forest if I felt the team was giving 100 per cent and the team was being managed properly, but neither is the case, and I won't waste money on a team that I consider isn't trying. I assume you will be watching the Forest game from your lofty view of the world.   

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Doug said:

That's 17 players out of 32 who are not seriously considered as 'first choice', leaving 15 players he trusts, and that's why we get the square pegs in round holes.

And one of those is Elliott Bennett, make that 14.

Edited by Fraserkirky

• Backroom

How many games in that season did we play well for more than 30 minutes ? You could count them on the fingers of one hand.

Indeed, and that was in the third tier with a budget that eclipsed every other team in the division - including Wigan.

• Like 4

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

And one of those is Elliott Bennett, make that 14.

What gets me is he seems to just collect players without any coherent way of playing emerging. Everybody on here could pick a team and it would be a  different team. We have enough players to field two teams when we're all fit yet at least half of them aren't up to the required standards and most of those never will be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree, he’s well shielded. You have to ask yourself why? (I don’t know the answer btw) but I do know that no one ever breaks ranks on him...I think there were things in and out of his control leading to this weeks results.

But the point I was making was more to do with the ridiculousness I’ve read elsewhere. Anyone would think the world had caved in on some.

We’re 3pts off the playoffs at halfway. Sure, we could’ve done better here or worse there but either way we’d have taken our current position had we been asked in May.

Ive already said that we’ll struggle now. The chances of us getting promotion were diminished as soon as he dropped to the floor against Wigan. The injuries to Tosin and now Nyambe haven’t helped either.

Its a massive test of the manager to see how we do until the end of the season now. Over to you Tony.

Problem as I see it was/is just outside the play offs two home games we expected to win, one with a bumper crowd and we served up a really poor performance coupled with Dack being seriously hurt. He's gone back to Tony Tombola with his selections and I think performances have suffered Birmingham was especially poor. We're back to being devoid of any creativity and movement. We've no way of replacing the goals Dack scores, he's scored more this season than holtby has done in years and I think more than rothwells ever scored.

Rather than rolling the Tony Tombola he needs to look at how to rebalance the starting 11 to cope without Dack, if Gallagher is going to play up front put him through the middle rather than wide right, and play it to his feet with runners running off him. People moan Gallagher doesn't score he gets very little service or he's out of position for 75mins whilst we smash it long to Armstrong.

Edited by PeteJD13
  • Like 2