BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rename The Riverside in honour of Tony Parkes

There's a perfectly good reason nothing has happened on the Riverside. It's the same reason the ground is filthy, the pitch is knackered, we aren't selling season tickets.

Waggott doesn't have the authority. He's a CEO in name only. It's a sham.

It can only come from India and nothing has come from there in nearly 2 years.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

There's a perfectly good reason nothing has happened on the Riverside. It's the same reason the ground is filthy, the pitch is knackered, we aren't selling season tickets.

Waggott doesn't have the authority. He's a CEO in name only. It's a sham.

It can only come from India and nothing has come from there in nearly 2 years.

This.

100% spot on.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

‘It had been suggested previously that the Riverside Stand could be renamed in honour of club legend Parkes. However, CEO Steve Waggott has now suggested that the training ground or a room within Ewood Park is more likely.’

Why is it ‘more likely’? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

I have to admit, I feel like the training ground might actually be the most fitting thing to rename in his honour.

12 years as a player, 18 years as coach/caretaker.

Why not rename the blues bar, the Tony Parkes bar? Or maybe rename the Platinum suite the Tony Parkes suite? 

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not rename the blues bar, the Tony Parkes bar? Or maybe rename the Platinum suite the Tony Parkes suite? 

Because the Training Ground is a much bigger tribute than any of those imo.

Could name the Blues Bar after Tony Diamond, the state of him during the Full Members Cup tribute night a few years ago. Or maybe Garner.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve absolutely no idea why this Riverside renaming can is still being kicked down the road, it’s now nearly three *years* since it was first brought to their attention as an idea will big fan support.

JFDI!

I’m sure it’s because they are still looking for an opportunity to close the Riverside down at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 3

As I suggested over 6 months ago I suspect the reason the Riverside idea is a non-starter is because Waggott doesn't have the authority to do such a thing. To get approval for such a relatively major task would require him to go to India and request permission and funding to do it, which he clearly is unwilling or unable to do these days. Whether that is because the owners aren't taking calls any more or because he simply wants to keep his head down and not bother them we can only speculate, but it is clear he isn't in the business of asking India for money to do things. Hence why there is a 'non starter' approach to the suggestion of rail seating. 

he can't use the FFP excuse because it is irrelevant to such a job, and numerous other Championship clubs have already installed it - yet he is nipping that one in the bud from the start. I wish some more probing questions were asked - has he had it costed? If so how much would it cost to do? Has he raised it with the owners as something they might be willing to fund? I suspect the answer to all those things is no.

Life is easier for Waggott to do the bare minimum required to keep things going saving costs wherever possible and doing nothing that will require unnecessary capital outlay

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

As I suggested over 6 months ago I suspect the reason the Riverside idea is a non-starter is because Waggott doesn't have the authority to do such a thing. To get approval for such a relatively major task would require him to go to India and request permission and funding to do it, which he clearly is unwilling or unable to do these days. Whether that is because the owners aren't taking calls any more or because he simply wants to keep his head down and not bother them we can only speculate, but it is clear he isn't in the business of asking India for money to do things. Hence why there is a 'non starter' approach to the suggestion of rail seating. 

he can't use the FFP excuse because it is irrelevant to such a job, and numerous other Championship clubs have already installed it - yet he is nipping that one in the bud from the start. I wish some more probing questions were asked - has he had it costed? If so how much would it cost to do? Has he raised it with the owners as something they might be willing to fund? I suspect the answer to all those things is no.

Life is easier for Waggott to do the bare minimum required to keep things going saving costs wherever possible and doing nothing that will require unnecessary capital outlay

Can't be down to funding, the owners have never refused to sign a cheque.... apparently 

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I’m sure it’s because they are still looking for an opportunity to close the Riverside down at the earliest opportunity.

Could well be, so ‘The Tony Parkes Academy/STC’ it is then… oh, wait a minute, he wants to knock those down too!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mike E said:

Because the Training Ground is a much bigger tribute than any of those imo.

Could name the Blues Bar after Tony Diamond, the state of him during the Full Members Cup tribute night a few years ago. Or maybe Garner.

You make a good point there. The Blues Bar should be rename the Simon Garner bar. 

15 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I'm not sure Rovers would want to close the Riverside plus I would suggest it need a redeveloping into a modern stand.  

14 hours ago, JHRover said:

what funding would be needed to rename the stand the Tony Parkes stand? 

If the owners aren't taking calls any more than how did Rovers get the summer budget and we kept BBD? Plus, a number of other things off the field

Edited by chaddyrovers