BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 01/11/2023 at 11:31, bazza said:

With studs that were nailed in and to keep the leather boots supple plenty of dubbin.

On 01/11/2023 at 11:37, wilsdenrover said:

I’ve never heard of dubbin - to save me a Google what was it?

On 01/11/2023 at 11:44, rigger said:

A sort of very soft wax, to make leather waterproof and supple.

On 01/11/2023 at 13:39, bazza said:

You can still buy it.

4 hours ago, berkshireblue said:

funnily enough I asked my wife if we had any this morning as my leather shoes insole is a bit hard and rubbing

Only yesterday Mrs Cherry Blue asked if I still wanted "this dubbin".

Good waterproof for all types of leather footwear. 

• Like 2

On 01/11/2023 at 06:21, oldjamfan1 said:

So grateful he’s now a season ticket holder at Celtic Park…

He does still get to 5 or 6 Rovers games every season too tbf

Good for your lad that he doesn’t frequent the other dump that lies 200 yards from my birthplace 73 years ago. It was very difficult being a Celtic supporter in that area then as well as now I presume. 

• Like 1

I was reading in the paper today that the last time Man Utd lost two consecutive home games by three clear goal was October 1962. 
The second game was against Rovers and we won 3-0 courtesy of a Bryan Douglas master class. He completely tore them apart that day.  Although he passed up the chance to make it 4-0 by missing a penalty when the score was 3-0. There can’t be many of us left who witnessed the game. It was the first away game that I attended on my own.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, elwaxo said:

I remember seeing some kind of comic strip on twitter of dougie ripping united apart. Havent been able to find it since, anyone have any ideas?

It was on the sports page of the “ Manchester Evening News” on the Monday evening after the game. I was a paper boy at the time so I got a copy. I still have it somewhere. It shows Dougie dribbling in and out of Utd defenders who are all busy falling over. A few years ago I got my son to put it on a thread on this site so it’s on here somewhere. He really ran the show that day from midfield, he made world class players like Denis Law and Bobby Charlton look second rate.

My other still vivid memory after 60 years is of our opening goal. I was stood on the sidelines near the edge of the penalty box of the goals we were attacking. Mick McGrath received a square ball about 20 yards, he let fly right footed and the ball flew towards the goal. I was expecting to see it carry on into the stand. I could hardly believe it when ball flew in the top corner netting and then bounced down in the goals !  It all seemed so easy. Mick was more of a defensive midfield player than an attacker and he didn’t score many goals.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 07:37, wilsdenrover said:

I’ve never heard of dubbin - to save me a Google what was it?

My dad told me to use it on my boots when I was a kid - late 80's.

It didn't last long. It was too sticky, didn't really help, and by then boot technology had improved so it wasn't needed. I did spend hours polishing them though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mick McGrath received a square ball about 20 yards, he let fly right footed and the ball flew towards the goal. I was expecting to see it carry on into the stand. I could hardly believe it when ball flew in the top corner netting and then bounced down in the goals !  It all seemed so easy. Mick was more of a defensive midfield player than an attacker and he didn’t score many goals.

He scored two very important goals in the cup-ties of 1960. Firstly the equaliser at home to Blackpool when we were going out in the 4th round. 

Secondly the equaliser at Burnley in the 6th round after we had been 3-0 down. Still alive I believe along with Duggie, of course.

1 minute ago, den said:

Was anyone on here at that semi final?

Not me, Den. Wish I had been. Story goes that Dougan said to the Wednesday centre half, Peter Swan, " Want to buy a ticket for the final?" Swan punched him in the privates.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bazza said:

Not me, Den. Wish I had been. Story goes that Dougan said to the Wednesday centre half, Peter Swan, " Want to buy a ticket for the final?" Swan punched him in the privates.

I thought you might have been there Bazza. I’ve not knowingly met anyone who was there. I’ve never even spoke to anyone who went to the final. I know many rovers fans fell out with the club and never went to Ewood again over allegations that fans couldn’t get tickets while players were making money selling them.

There is a video of the full game against Wolves on YouTube. Although there were the allegations and rovers lost the game I personally watch the video and see stills of that final and feel proud of those players and the club at that time.

Did you make the final Bazza (or anyone else)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, den said:

I thought you might have been there Bazza. I’ve not knowingly met anyone who was there. I’ve never even spoke to anyone who went to the final. I know many rovers fans fell out with the club and never went to Ewood again over allegations that fans couldn’t get tickets while players were making money selling them.

There is a video of the full game against Wolves on YouTube. Although there were the allegations and rovers lost the game I personally watch the video and see stills of that final and feel proud of those players and the club at that time.

No. My dad and I watched it on TV. We couldn't eat our tea afterwards much to my mum's annoyance. (She was a North Ender) It was a horrible final. I remember the commentator saying,"The Blackburn supporters are booing the Wolves. The Wolves supporters are booing the referee. And the rest are just booing".

3 hours ago, den said:

I was there Den! I've talked about the experience a few times on here. And I'm not up for repeating it, its too painful.

My dad never went again after being Rovers fan all his life, (was at the 1928 Final! ) He was tempted back once after me enthusing about the football for months with Duggie, Pickering, McEvoy etc.

Unfortunately he chose the Christmas West Ham Ewood fixture just after we'd spanked them 8-2 away and we lost 3-1 at Ewood.

That was it for him "won't get fooled again!"

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

I was there Den! I've talked about the experience a few times on here. And I'm not up for repeating it, its too painful.

My dad never went again after being Rovers fan all his life, (was at the 928 Final! ) He was tempted back once after me enthusing about the football for months with Duggie, Pickering, McEvoy etc.

Unfortunately he chose the Christmas West Ham Ewood fixture just after we'd spanked them 8-2 away and we lost 3-1 at Ewood.

That was it for him "won't get fooled again!"

Typical Rovers. I was at the West Ham game also. We never turned up.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Typical Rovers. I was at the West Ham game also. We never turned up.

I did hear at the time, the players had been promised a pay rise at Christmas or bonus (whatever), and our shop-keeper board reneged.

Something was definitely off at that game, the atmosphere was weird. You definitely got the impression Rovers were not focussed on the game. Big crowd too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 47er said:

I did hear at the time, the players had been promised a pay rise at Christmas or bonus (whatever), and our shop-keeper board reneged.

Something was definitely off at that game, the atmosphere was weird. You definitely got the impression Rovers were not focussed on the game. Big crowd too.

Almost 30,000 if I recall correctly.